Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

smh if you don't have decades old notes on ip representations that technically work today, because security is about what the program will accept not what it should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

smh if you don't have decades old notes on ip representations that technically work today, because security is about what the program will accept not what it should

I have notes I’m sure, but I guess I should check them more carefully!

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

cool let's be sure to let every single user know about this esoterica

oh wait, we don't (i didn't even remember this stuff which is why i posted it originally), it's just another dumb security thing ready to bite laypeople in the rear end

barring that, maybe a little bit of safety? ipv4 expressed in dot notation is pretty much the agreed upon format so maybe the os shouldn't expose any other way to users?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Why would you bring up how source code handles or stores numeric values at all? The premise of that arugment is that you're going to take input from a human and then just naively pass it into some code without sanitizing it? No way should a browser or curl be accepting hexadecimal addresses, and any excuse about "it'd be too hard to change" is just a lovely excuse that hurts end users.

Yeah, I get it, you shouldn't blindly copy and paste poo poo. The reality of the world though is that 90% of people do this. How many people are there in the entire world who could read this and tell you exactly what it does without having to spend a few hours reading about it:

curl -gsS https://127.0.0.1-or-victim-server:443/../../../%00/nginx-handler?/usr/lib/nginx/modules/ngx_stream_module.so:127.0.0.1:80:/bin/sh%00%5C<'protocol:TCP' -O 0x0238f06a#PLToffset |sh; nc /dev/tcp/localhost

Ten thousand? Probably not 100,000. I use linux professionally every day for the last 8 years and I had to read the article and then spend 20 minutes playing with it to really understand how it was working. So just saying "oh read it before you paste it and understand what it does" is just not realistic for most people.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 2, 2019

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Salt Fish posted:

Why would you bring up how source code handles or stores numeric values at all? The premise of that arugment is that you're going to take input from a human and then just naively pass it into some code without sanitizing it? No way should a browser or curl be accepting hexadecimal addresses, and any excuse about "it'd be too hard to change" is just a lovely excuse that hurts end users.

Yeah, I get it, you shouldn't blindly copy and paste poo poo. The reality of the world though is that 90% of people do this. How many people are there in the entire world who could read this and tell you exactly what it does without having to spend a few hours reading about it:

curl -gsS https://127.0.0.1-or-victim-server:443/../../../%00/nginx-handler?/usr/lib/nginx/modules/ngx_stream_module.so:127.0.0.1:80:/bin/sh%00%5C<'protocol:TCP' -O 0x0238f06a#PLToffset |sh; nc /dev/tcp/localhostcurl -gsS https://127.0.0.1-or-victim-server:443/../../../%00/nginx-handler?/usr/lib/nginx/modules/ngx_stream_module.so:127.0.0.1:80:/bin/sh%00%5C<'protocol:TCP' -O 0x0238f06a#PLToffset |sh; nc /dev/tcp/localhost

Ten thousand? Probably not 100,000. I use linux professionally every day for the last 8 years and I had to read the article and then spend 20 minutes playing with it to really understand how it was working. So just saying "oh read it before you paste it and understand what it does" is just not realistic for most people.

curl is not exactly a consumer-grade, user-friendly browser and is used in tons of scripts so arguing that it shouldn't accept hex as a valid IP is a little silly. The entire premise is that people are following 'infosec twitter' and loving doing whatever dumb poo poo is posted without any critical thinking. It's not like your aunt Lucy with the 12-year old hand-me-down computer running windows XP is going to be in any way affected by this because it's targetted at a very specitic security try-hard class that attempts to understand security the same way an ape understands your skull with a hammer.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ewiley posted:

curl is not exactly a consumer-grade, user-friendly browser and is used in tons of scripts so arguing that it shouldn't accept hex as a valid IP is a little silly. The entire premise is that people are following 'infosec twitter' and loving doing whatever dumb poo poo is posted without any critical thinking. It's not like your aunt Lucy with the 12-year old hand-me-down computer running windows XP is going to be in any way affected by this because it's targetted at a very specitic security try-hard class that attempts to understand security the same way an ape understands your skull with a hammer.

We're talking about two groups of people:

1) People who use curl but aren't super technical
2) The people writing scripts that use hex ip addresses

And now we have to choose; do we put the technical burden on the general users to learn how to not get owned by obfuscation techniques? Or do we put the technical burden on the tech wizards using hex in their scripts to go update their code? You're saying we should put the technical burdern on the non-technical people, but I'm saying if you're clever enough to use hex ip addresses you're clever enough to update your poo poo with minimal disruption, do a conversion before you curl, it's literally a 1 line change to your code.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

curling will continue until the morale improves

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

We're talking about two groups of people:

1) People who use curl but aren't super technical
2) The people writing scripts that use hex ip addresses

And now we have to choose; do we put the technical burden on the general users to learn how to not get owned by obfuscation techniques? Or do we put the technical burden on the tech wizards using hex in their scripts to go update their code? You're saying we should put the technical burdern on the non-technical people, but I'm saying if you're clever enough to use hex ip addresses you're clever enough to update your poo poo with minimal disruption, do a conversion before you curl, it's literally a 1 line change to your code.

What non-technical person is using curl? notDan's tweet required you to paste it into a Linux commandline to do anything. What is the demographic of people with

a). access to Linux comandline
b) not technical enough to understand the Linux commandline

the venn diagram is bad computer janitors who should either know better or now know better.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Also LOL don't include that functionality in your app because i can't be assed to run stuff in a sandbox VM.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

cool let's be sure to let every single user know about this esoterica

oh wait, we don't (i didn't even remember this stuff which is why i posted it originally), it's just another dumb security thing ready to bite laypeople in the rear end

barring that, maybe a little bit of safety? ipv4 expressed in dot notation is pretty much the agreed upon format so maybe the os shouldn't expose any other way to users?
ya no one's saying every user should know this, it's in the pile of dumb legacy tricks that exist to make someone feel smart but shoot themselves in the foot

Salt Fish posted:

curl -gsS https://127.0.0.1-or-victim-server:443/../../../%00/nginx-handler?/usr/lib/nginx/modules/ngx_stream_module.so:127.0.0.1:80:/bin/sh%00%5C<'protocol:TCP' -O 0x0238f06a#PLToffset |sh; nc /dev/tcp/localhost

whether it's realistic for people doesn't matter: you shouldn't be running arbitary scripts. this entire argument isn't about obscure flags for curl, or chaining commands together. it's about running arbitrary scripts and not bothering to acknowledge the risks involved. if this is breaking ground for anyone then don't glance at shellcode

at this point is the issue really the ip representation in the one-liner, or that it's possible for anything to be obscured in it at all? there's good arguments to be had on the correct way to interpret ips, but it's not really relevant if you're in a shell where the flexibility in handling representations is the core strength of chaining inputs between programs

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

ewiley posted:

What non-technical person is using curl? notDan's tweet required you to paste it into a Linux commandline to do anything. What is the demographic of people with

the venn diagram is bad computer janitors who should either know better or now know better.

or software developers who understand enough of their environment to write code but don't really care about how it works

like literally everyone outside of security practitioners (and only some segments tbh) and os developers

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ewiley posted:

when a take is so dumb i genuinely can't figure out if it's trolling

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

ya no one's saying every user should know this, it's in the pile of dumb legacy tricks that exist to make someone feel smart but shoot themselves in the foot

whether it's realistic for people doesn't matter: you shouldn't be running arbitary scripts. this entire argument isn't about obscure flags for curl, or chaining commands together. it's about running arbitrary scripts and not bothering to acknowledge the risks involved. if this is breaking ground for anyone then don't glance at shellcode

at this point is the issue really the ip representation in the one-liner, or that it's possible for anything to be obscured in it at all? there's good arguments to be had on the correct way to interpret ips, but it's not really relevant if you're in a shell where the flexibility in handling representations is the core strength of chaining inputs between programs

i think we're sort of talking past each other. no one is suggesting that people should blindly execute any command on twitter and then pipe it to a shell. what i'm suggesting is that linux has a long standing tradition of doing a really lovely job separating the user interface from the underlying code and that will become a fundamental security issue as more people are using linux and macos

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

where is linux involved here

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

ok operating systems in general?

like, you keep talking about how things are but the fact that a user can interact with an ip address expressed in multiple ways is awful ux and a potential sec gently caress that's continuously ready to happen

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

i think we're sort of talking past each other. no one is suggesting that people should blindly execute any command on twitter and then pipe it to a shell. what i'm suggesting is that linux has a long standing tradition of doing a really lovely job separating the user interface from the underlying code and that will become a fundamental security issue as more people are using linux and macos

I think i'm agreeing with you that the underlying problem is uncritically running code from a tweet, but obfuscation will exist as long as there is code. Dumb tricks are a feature not a bug. I mean hell this is a perfectly valid perl script:

code:
 $_=q(s%(.*)%$_=qq(\$_=q($1),$1),print%e),s%(.*)%$_=qq(\$_=q($1),$1),print%e 
will you run it and see what it does? it just prints itself

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

there is some dumb ancient UNIX-related reason for almost every legacy computer issue. quit being so pedantic

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

the fact that a user can interact with an ip address expressed in multiple ways is awful ux and a potential sec gently caress that's continuously ready to happen
agreed

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Apparently google cloud is down

and most of the internal tools inside google are down too

:tinfoil:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pryor on Fire posted:

Apparently google cloud is down

and most of the internal tools inside google are down too

:tinfoil:

Wrap it up, Googailures. Last one out turn out the lights.

:wave:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I understand Level3 is having problems.

Level3 is a backbone provider for the internet, and everything else, including Google being down, is just a cascade failure from the Level3 issues.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

Wrap it up, Googailures. Last one out turn out the lights.

:wave:

can't turn off the lights, they're on nest
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20077971

quote:

Can't use my Nest lock to let guests into my house. I'm pretty sure their infrastructure is hosted in Google Cloud. So yeah... definitely some stuff lost.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
security is a process (of blaming the user)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

nest users are confused :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/1135310349438054401

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

oh no moving from a chair to use the thing manually like some troglodyte is beneath the mighty *puts on glasses* stay at home dad twitch streamer wearing a boba fett hoody

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

good thread to read in the morning:

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1135354815259656192

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

oh no moving from a chair to use the thing manually like some troglodyte is beneath the mighty *puts on glasses* stay at home dad twitch streamer wearing a boba fett hoody

it gets better:
https://twitter.com/jdantastic/status/1135313567346036741

fucker mounted his tv in front of it

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

it gets better:
https://twitter.com/jdantastic/status/1135313567346036741

fucker mounted his tv in front of it
you mean your new build didn't come with a tv mounted in front of the thermostat as standard?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Excuse me, I believe you mean his Electronics Nook

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Volmarias posted:

Excuse me, I believe you mean his Electronics Nook

I was super confused about how why this dude was working in an office with no A/C, but it turns out that his office is in his home, because he plays video games for a living. His office is where he plays video games, for money. It all makes sense now.

Twitch is like charity.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this was fun, thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Very fun, thank you!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Neat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cool story bro

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

this was really neat! and @foone is a pro twitter follow

his best work is https://deathgenerator.com

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is there a term for people tuning out (deliberately or subconsciously) common disclaimers or security warnings?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Is there a term for people tuning out (deliberately or subconsciously) common disclaimers or security warnings?

alarm fatigue, probably

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

like alarm fatigue?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nobody-can-tell-me-what-to-do-monia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Trabisnikof posted:

like alarm fatigue?

Thanks. I knew I heard the term somewhere but I just couldn't recall it.