Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dougdrums posted:

I was super confused about how why this dude was working in an office with no A/C, but it turns out that his office is in his home, because he plays video games for a living. His office is where he plays video games, for money. It all makes sense now.

Twitch is like charity.

To follow it up, consider the fact that his thermostat, which measures the ambient temperature to control the climate for the whole residence, is directly behind the TV, which likely puts out a non negligible amount of waste heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Quest Diagnostics got hit.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Is there a term for people tuning out (deliberately or subconsciously) common disclaimers or security warnings?

equifax is doing way better than they were pre breach. Zero impact to the business from losing literally the most sensitive data of all foo all Americans. even the one dude who took the hit for blatantly insider trading and texting his buddies about how they were breached got a plea deal and is probably just gonna get probation

why should anyone care about security warnings? any incident of any size has zero impact on your business anymore, you're better off burning stacks of cash to keep warm than spending it on infosec

"rational willful security ignorance" should be the term

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i didn't cause it, i can't prevent it from happening again, and i can't meaningfully mitigate the damage beyond keeping the same password generation rules people still resolutely refuse to follow because they're lazy and don't give a poo poo

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Quest Diagnostics got hit.
Again.
https://twitter.com/WeldPond/status/1135523207371460608

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

welp, finally got my first "lol i hacked u" email. Except the password in it is totally bullshit. Not sure what the point of that is.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sereri posted:

welp, finally got my first "lol i hacked u" email. Except the password in it is totally bullshit. Not sure what the point of that is.
Same point that's behind every other bit of obvious spam you get: There's always someone dumb enough to fall for it.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i got an email to my work address from myself saying i got hacked and theyre gonna release nudes to everyone in my contacts so long story short everyone at work knows what my penis looks like

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

power botton posted:

i got an email to my work address from myself saying i got hacked and theyre gonna release nudes to everyone in my contacts so long story short everyone at work knows what my penis looks like

long story short indeed, heh

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

To follow it up, consider the fact that his thermostat, which measures the ambient temperature to control the climate for the whole residence, is directly behind the TV, which likely puts out a non negligible amount of waste heat.

still better is that he HAD to mount his tv on the wall, like there was no other option available

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chris Knight posted:

still better is that he HAD to mount his tv on the wall, like there was no other option available

tweet says he just moved into this house and the TV mounting bracket was already there. guess the previous owner was the one who decided that would be a good idea. then this guy just started using it without thinking it all the way through, which while dumb is not *as* dumb

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Sereri posted:

I kinda got my first one of these recently, via text

Censored a 6-digit number because I don't know what it is, but as far as I can tell there isn't a single shred of personal information in it

also lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

cinci zoo sniper posted:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Looks like we got another gently caress up on our hands, boys. LOL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

haveblue posted:

tweet says he just moved into this house and the TV mounting bracket was already there. guess the previous owner was the one who decided that would be a good idea. then this guy just started using it without thinking it all the way through, which while dumb is not *as* dumb

something something it’s an apple tv and he couldn’t afford the stand

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Pryor on Fire posted:

equifax is doing way better than they were pre breach. Zero impact to the business from losing literally the most sensitive data of all foo all Americans. even the one dude who took the hit for blatantly insider trading and texting his buddies about how they were breached got a plea deal and is probably just gonna get probation

why should anyone care about security warnings? any incident of any size has zero impact on your business anymore, you're better off burning stacks of cash to keep warm than spending it on infosec

"rational willful security ignorance" should be the term

yeah, pretty lol how much of this thread is in denial about how much their career matters in the real world no careers requiring computer touching matter in the real world

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-04/anu-data-hack-bank-records-personal-information/11176788

One of the largest universities in Australia has publicly come out as being hacked. This is going to be a damaging one for the ANU.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

You Am I posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-04/anu-data-hack-bank-records-personal-information/11176788

One of the largest universities in Australia has publicly come out as being hacked. This is going to be a damaging one for the ANU.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lmbo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
goddammit, tavis

https://mobile.twitter.com/taviso/status/1133384839321853954

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lomarf that's loving amazing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that's what microsoft gets for selling out and adding unix line ending support to notepad

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

that's what microsoft gets for selling out and adding unix line ending support to notepad
They're plenty capable of their own secfucks, aren't they?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

nice

nice

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i am fully ready for the cmd out of calc

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
taviso has become to strong, he must be stopped

e: actually, when he pops a cmd from calc.exe that's gonna be all of the proof that this is all just a lovely simulation that's falling apart at the seams

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Punch in 80085 100 times and buffer overflow

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
still lolling at the fact that pressing backspace a few dozen times was a grub exploit

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2013/03/24/alternate-data-streams-in-ntfs/
Copy cmd.exe into the alternate data stream into notepad.exe?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

he doesn't really have any need to fake getting code execution in notepad

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
shoutout to the like 50 people in the replies assuming that tavis is just now discovering the "open cmd from the file dialog" thing

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm amazed that notepad even does enough stuff with the document data to have a vulnerability (there's no syntax highlighting so I wouldn't think there would be any parsing at all?), but maybe it's one of the new features they recently added?

Edit: I'm going to assume the vulnerability is in the "search with Bing" feature they apparently added because lol why would they add that to notepad?

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 4, 2019

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

this post has inspired me to visit a pawn shop on my lunch break, thanks!

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

he doesn't really have any need to fake getting code execution in notepad

Meat Beat Agent posted:

shoutout to the like 50 people in the replies assuming that tavis is just now discovering the "open cmd from the file dialog" thing

I don't use Windows. I just wanted to make sure I understood what was happening.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Winkle-Daddy posted:

this post has inspired me to visit a pawn shop on my lunch break, thanks!

do this anyway, those guys have some stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i mean, notepad does do text layout (break into lines, tab spacing, etc.), and unicode

so i wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out some obscure combination of those things blew a stack buffer