Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

fart blood posted:

I dunno what Beyond Burgers are made of but I’m convinced they’re beef and it’s all one big prank like the Seinfeld yogurt episode.

NPR was saying how the effort that it takes to make it taste like a real burger makes it just as bad as a regular burger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

NPR was saying how the effort that it takes to make it taste like a real burger makes it just as bad as a regular burger.
"brand new thing on tiny scale can't be made as efficiently as old thing on huge scale" is not a surprise

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TV Zombie posted:

Not every vegetarian meal has to be healthy. The point isn't to be eating health food. It's to eat a damned hamburger without eating an animal.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's nasty that people want to eat an animal without eating one. that means you should eat the animal. stop fooling around and trying to play god. your legs and fingers are too short to cook with God

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

TV Zombie posted:

Doesn’t surprise me.

But at least they finally have a burger like veggie alternative.

I still like a nice black bean burger sometimes though.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cavauro posted:

it's nasty that people want to eat an animal without eating one. that means you should eat the animal. stop fooling around and trying to play god. your legs and fingers are too short to cook with God

You are a very wise man

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

fart blood posted:

Doesn’t surprise me.

But at least they finally have a burger like veggie alternative.

I still like a nice black bean burger sometimes though.

When I started making black or red bean burgers at home I realized how good they could be. Really easy plus my toddler likes them.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

You are a very wise man

did you google me and find out my surname is wiseman and make this joke or did i just say something i shouldn't have

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah black bean burgers are great, it's its own food category.

I only had an impossible burger once but it came with vegan cheese on it, and the vegan cheese was DISGUSTING so I feel like I need to try the burger again with regular cheese.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
the real reason they are called "impossible" burgers is because the burgers can actually feel pain and are about as intelligent as a 5 year old child, which by all rights should be impossible

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Jerusalem posted:

So I'm mad, because I got tricked and went and saw the new Godzilla movie thinking they'd have learned from the previous one and tried as hard as possible to reduce the amount of boring human bullshit and maximize the monsters, but they basically just did the same thing as last time with a bizarre story, inconsistent writing, characters who ranged from dull to stupid to contradictory to utterly irrelevant (there's a revelation 3/4s of the way through the film that one of the characters has a twin.... this has literally no bearing on anything, goes nowhere and the other character never returns again).

the thing in your spoiler is about a callback to the Mothra twins in the original Mothra movie. Mothra is my good friend and I love her very much.

King of the Monsters was a very pro wrestling movie, which knows that tag teams are cooler than singles wrestling.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

1954 Japanese Godzilla is the best and all others are pale pretenders. It managed to get a very strong anti-militarization message passed the US Occupation's censors.

The Daimajin films are a close second because the monster is both an elemental impersonal force and equally spiteful.

They made a live action sentai style toku out of the Daimajin IP that is also really good as well(Daimajin Kanon), however the focus is less on the giant Daimajin and more on interpersonal relationships.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

coconono posted:

Finished Doom Patrol last night. Absolutely worth getting the DC Universe sub for a month alone.

Also reading through Injustice comics, just getting onto year 3. Its like someone really wanted to do a Miracleman story where Miracleman goes insane.

Isn't that just Alan Moore's Miracleman?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bard Maddox posted:

Mothra is my good friend and I love her very much.

I loved literally every single frame that Mothra was on the screen, she was loving awesome and her taking down Rodan loving ruled - I literally had no plans to watch this film till I saw the first trailer that featured a shot of Mothra and figured,"Well gently caress, I absolutely MUST go now."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Davros1 posted:

Isn't that just Alan Moore's Miracleman?

Nah, Miracleman is Moore's ubermensch so he's always the purest and transcends his old bonds. I do not like a lot of Moore's stuff but Miracleman is the one of the better stories. Its wild he did Miracleman and V for Vendetta since they were polar opposites in terms of politics.

Injustice colors in Superman in a way that would normally be reserved for an Elseworlds joint. What if Superman had the powers of a god and the foibles of man? Here Superman is a very flawed character with years of insecurities all coming to a head. Its worth a read and if you can get the collections cheap or part of the DCU service.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I was supposed to give out all my comics this weekend but got floored last second with how busy I got, I've got the classic Starman, Swamp Thing, Sandman, and Doom Patrol physical trades I should get through. I absolutely loved Animal Man so the only excuse I have is laziness.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I never understand people who watch a Godzilla movie or a Jurassic Park movie, and when someone criticizes it their response is "I don't CARE about the plot/writing/acting, I just want to watch the monsters hit each other on the big screen rawr rawr"

Like, you know both things are possible right? You could have a movie with good action/SFX AND plot/writing/acting. I don't know why you'd be happy settling for half of a good movie, much less get defensive about it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It's been like 15 years but I used to have a massive collection of classic Godzilla movies and a lot of them had just about as much human plot as the last Godzilla movie I watched (The Bryan Cranston one) :shrug:

If you peeps haven't seen it yet, watch Shin Godzilla from Japan wrote by the guy who's trying his best to avoid finishing his Evangelion movies

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The first Jurassic Park is a brilliant blockbuster and for a movie outstanding that its not even ironic to love it though

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

Godzilla but it’s John Wick. no, I don’t know what that means, and no, I do not know how it’s possible but make it happen

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I feel like given the amount of neon-lit night scenes, Pacific Rim is basically Godzilla + John Wick.

Lid posted:

The first Jurassic Park is a brilliant blockbuster and for a movie outstanding that its not even ironic to love it though

The original JP is a perfect example of the good type of movie, that manages to have thrilling monster action and also great acting/writing. Jurassic World/2 is more the bad type that I saw the defensive reactions to.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I thought you were meaning like Infinity war but im seeing people also claim that was bad that makes me wonder to them just what qualifies as a good blockbuster as that had everything you could possibly want. Probsbly those people who think Avatar is still a good movie and waiting for the 27 sequels.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lid posted:

I thought you were meaning like Infinity war but im seeing people also claim that was bad that makes me wonder to them just what qualifies as a good blockbuster as that had everything you could possibly want. Probsbly those people who think Avatar is still a good movie and waiting for the 27 sequels.
Avatar was more of a spectacle than anything else and I always dare anyone to name more than 5 characters without having to look it up. It was pretty though.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

Godzilla should use Rodan as a gun

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

RealFoxy posted:

Avatar was more of a spectacle than anything else and I always dare anyone to name more than 5 characters without having to look it up. It was pretty though.

Yeah but Jurassic Park was a spectacle, Infinity War and Ensgame were spectacles, Godzilla was a spectacle, Avatar is as much a spectacle in that it was 3D and yet id rather watch a Blizzard video game cutscene than it again.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lid posted:

Yeah but Jurassic Park was a spectacle, Infinity War and Ensgame were spectacles, Godzilla was a spectacle, Avatar is as much a spectacle in that it was 3D and yet id rather watch a Blizzard video game cutscene than it again.
Avatar was PURE spectacle, and no substance though, there were memorable characters and moments in the rest of those movies (Maybe not Godzilla as much). Tech has come a lot further now and it's pretty easy to make a movie that looks just as flashy now though, I have no idea who was demanding a bunch of Avatar sequels, I don't think they'll manage to make it past the first or second one before they just all get nixed entirely.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

did anyone watch the movie Battleship

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

RealFoxy posted:

Avatar was PURE spectacle, and no substance though, there were memorable characters and moments in the rest of those movies (Maybe not Godzilla as much). Tech has come a lot further now and it's pretty easy to make a movie that looks just as flashy now though, I have no idea who was demanding a bunch of Avatar sequels, I don't think they'll manage to make it past the first or second one before they just all get nixed entirely.

You dont remember the rash of suicides over people wishing they were Na'vi?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lid posted:

You dont remember the rash of suicides over people wishing they were Na'vi?
:stare:

I can't believe this is a real thing that was happening, even while reading articles about it

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm gonna get a good grade on my IT course :)

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Accident Underwater posted:

When I started making black or red bean burgers at home I realized how good they could be. Really easy plus my toddler likes them.

The trick is to roast the beans a little bit (not too much or it’ll dry out!) so the texture isn’t so soft.

Quinoa instead of rice as a starch binder helps too.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm gonna get a good grade on my IT course :)

Then soon you too can sit around reading Reddit while waiting for something to break while simultaneously stressing yourself into an ulcer with chronic imposter syndrome! Let's hear it for IT careers!

Ugh. So wish I could afford to do something else :-\

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Is Endgame the global box office champion yet?
Because I think it's running out of gas.
(Of course I haven't looked at the global receipts either)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they're gonna run it like 16 weeks to remove all doubt even with short legs

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Avatar was hot dog poo poo and its wild to me that we all spent so much time pretending it was good.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Avatar was hot dog poo poo and its wild to me that we all spent so much time pretending it was good.
agreed, i spent like 5 years thinking the whole world was gaslighting me about that piece of poo poo movie

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jesus WEP posted:

agreed, i spent like 5 years thinking the whole world was gaslighting me about that piece of poo poo movie

I feel the same way about Age of Ultron as I do Avatar: they were disposable summer action flicks that pretended to be big Make You Think Movies. I'll be curious to see what the discourse is on them 20 years down the road.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ChrisBTY posted:

Is Endgame the global box office champion yet?
Because I think it's running out of gas.
(Of course I haven't looked at the global receipts either)

It's number 2 both domestically (behind The Force Awakens) and worldwide (behind Avatar)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

coconono posted:

I feel the same way about Age of Ultron as I do Avatar: they were disposable summer action flicks that pretended to be big Make You Think Movies. I'll be curious to see what the discourse is on them 20 years down the road.

I never understood the appeal of Avatar. And the more people shouted at me that not only was it great but i was a fool for not being into it the more it fueled my apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Davros1 posted:

It's number 2 both domestically (behind The Force Awakens) and worldwide (behind Avatar)

Also if you adjust for inflation, which you should because otherwise box office numbers are totally arbitrary, it’s like 18th domestically.

You can definitely counter this with “Gone with the Wind played every 3 months for 10 years” which is true, but even adjusting inflation from 2009 -> 2019 adds like $100 million to Avatar’s total.