Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The NCR hasn't been founded yet in the original Fallout, it's only introduced in the sequel. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's founded in the ending montage

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Siivola posted:

The NCR hasn't been founded yet in the original Fallout, it's only introduced in the sequel. :colbert:

I don’t recall if pre-war food and drink is common in Fallout 1 and 2 beyond Nuka-Cola. 3 introduced all the frozen and canned food as health items.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a guy named SM Stirling who wrote a post-apoc novel but set it up so that SCA LARPlords would be the new alpha class. You see, electricity and gunpowder simply stopped working because of magic or something, leaving the world in the able hands of those who spent their formative years learning the blade so there MOM

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

There's a guy named SM Stirling

Who wrote the "Draka" books?

No thanks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

There's a guy named SM Stirling who wrote a post-apoc novel but set it up so that SCA LARPlords would be the new alpha class. You see, electricity and gunpowder simply stopped working because of magic or something, leaving the world in the able hands of those who spent their formative years learning the blade so there MOM

You'd think it would have been the gang members who just learned how to sneak up behind someone and stab them really fast in the neck 20 times instead of engaging in ritual sword combat in full plate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

No thanks.

There are very, very many post-apocalyptic fiction books and very, very few good ones.

chitoryu12 posted:

You'd think it would have been the gang members who just learned how to sneak up behind someone and stab them really fast in the neck 20 times instead of engaging in ritual sword combat in full plate.

They all fall before the might of Pacific Northwest chivalry

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One of my favorite post-apocalyptic books featured the Conch Republic as a major new power in the post-apocalyptic world, starting as a loose coalition of Key West, Miami, and Cuba, but growing to encompass most of the Caribbean. In the author's interview at the back, the Conchs were inspired by Venice and the early Netherlands.

One of the more horrifying flavors of post-apocalyptic novels I've encountered as a librarian, though, is Christian post-apocalyptic fiction. The apocalypse is God's divine judgment (not Revelation grade), and the world reverting to rural agrarian society and if the US government still exists at all it turning into a Christian theocracy are all treated as good things to hope for as humanity abandons the sinful ways of the 20th/21st centuries to return to a Godly nation because we'd lost sight of what was truly important.

Or there's the game Shattered Union where you can play as the European Union peacekeepers sent in to clean up the apocalyptic and divided United States. :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

and the women all go back to the kitchen because it's wholesome and natural

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cythereal posted:

One of my favorite post-apocalyptic books featured the Conch Republic as a major new power in the post-apocalyptic world, starting as a loose coalition of Key West, Miami, and Cuba, but growing to encompass most of the Caribbean. In the author's interview at the back, the Conchs were inspired by Venice and the early Netherlands.

One of the more horrifying flavors of post-apocalyptic novels I've encountered as a librarian, though, is Christian post-apocalyptic fiction. The apocalypse is God's divine judgment (not Revelation grade), and the world reverting to rural agrarian society and if the US government still exists at all it turning into a Christian theocracy are all treated as good things to hope for as humanity abandons the sinful ways of the 20th/21st centuries to return to a Godly nation because we'd lost sight of what was truly important.

Sounds like heretical postmillennialistic Christian fiction.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

and the women all go back to the kitchen because it's wholesome and natural

Wait, really? Or is it, "women go back to the kitchen after the farming day is done"?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zoux posted:

Sounds like heretical postmillennialistic Christian fiction.

Nah, this is an entirely different strain of Christian post-apocalyptic fiction. You're thinking of Pre-Millenial Dispensationalist tripe like the Left Behind series which are explicitly about living through the Biblical end of days.

These are just "Welp nuclear war, everyone becomes perfect obedient conservative Christian farmers afterwards."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Best post-apoc fiction I've read is Resurrection Day, wherein the Cuban Missile Crisis goes hot, NYC, DC and a bunch of US cities eat nukes, and LeMay Sunday Punches the USSR out of existence before seizing control of a government dependent on aid from the UK, Europe having decided to sit it out. Book picks up a decade later, and is in large part a detective novel.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you haven’t read A Canticle for Lebowitz do that. It’s a Neuromancer-Level foundational text for post apocalyptic fiction.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you haven’t read A Canticle for Lebowitz do that. It’s a Neuromancer-Level foundational text for post apocalyptic fiction.

Hmmm can't help but notice I can't insert myself into this as a all conquering warlord sex god, I have to pretend to be some dumb monk?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Alas Babylon is also really good.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Earth Abides is good, too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Watching Chernobyl and I'm reminded there are so many different units for radiation: curies, Roentgens, rads, rems, gY, sieverts, etc. Are these are measuring different things or could there be some sort of unified metric

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Everyone should read A Canticle for Lebowitz because it is a fantastic work.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cessna posted:

No thanks.

the SM stands for "Slavery is Megaawesome"

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Agree completely. I'd also strongly recommend Riddley Walker, great book written entirely in a post-apocalyptic dialect of English. Loads of subtext/ hidden meanings but written with a really compelling narrative.

I liked Resurrection Day, but the story was basically the same as Robert Harris' Fatherland (alt reality 1960s Nazi Germany detective story) but less well written.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

zoux posted:

Watching Chernobyl and I'm reminded there are so many different units for radiation: curies, Roentgens, rads, rems, gY, sieverts, etc. Are these are measuring different things or could there be some sort of unified metric

Different measures of radiation based on some poo poo I can't remember. rem (radiation equivalent?) are meant to be a standard that take into account the different dangers of the different types of radiation. Like alpha has a (dose in gray?)*20 and beta like a *5 I think.

100 rem = 1 sievert and if you absorb that much you've died. I think our annual dose limit set by regulation was 20 milli, but the company would cut you off for the year at 10.

Someone who has google a bit more handy can probably answer that clearer

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now here's some historical counterfactual I can get behind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZS9M52Bd_w

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

zoux posted:

Pretty much just the US against the rest of the world. I'm pretty sure the former Soviet Union has gone SI by now.

It feels like it's almost *more* likely to cause conversion errors when the mantissa is the same.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Now here's some historical counterfactual I can get behind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZS9M52Bd_w

Aw hell yeah

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

An oddity and some incendiaries are on display today. Sadly, there's not much to say about the Paravane bomb, other than its a rather strange beast. There are numerous types of small incendiary bombs, however, but what differences exist in between the various B1E incendiary bombs? What sort of coverage was the 50kg Sprengbrand bomb supposed to cover? For what purpose did the 1 and 2 kilogram incendiary bombs have secondary charges, and how did that differ from the larger incendiary bombs?

All that and more at the blog!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

HisMajestyBOB posted:

The World Without Us book might help. It covers Cyprus, Chernobyl and the Korean DMZ (all shorter than 100 years) and longer time scales, but could help with giving you a general idea.

I read that book and its pretty fun. There's a lot of pictures from Chernobyl that show off how nature goes about reclaiming land after human disturbance:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Buildings_in_Chernobyl

PittTheElder posted:

It's hilarious when you compare even introductory thinking about what a post apocalypse would look like, to something like Fallout, where people are still eating canned goods and snack food from 200 years prior.

Fallout 3 definitely had me scratching my head at the world. The game was set in Washington DC, but where were all the trees? Where were all the plants? DC is like literally a subtropical swamp, if not even plants can grow everyone is going die real fast. 200 years after a nuclear war eastern cities are going to look more like Mayan ruins buried under a jungle than than the junkyard depicted in that game. I don't know why they just didn't set in in the immediate aftermath of the apocalypse, then it would have made sense.

100 years is a long time. For comparison, here's a picture from Baxter State Park of an area that was probably last clear cut between 1930 and 1960: Baxter State park

Squalid fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 3, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Fallout 3 will probably forever be my favorite because the city setting is amazing, but the neither the society nor environment make any sense at all.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

FMguru posted:

Earth Abides is good, too.

This book loving sucks, it's paternalistic as hell and just gross.

Dean Koontz's The Taking pretends to be about a cool fungal alien invasion but it's actually the Rapture and everything is wonderful after all the sinners are gone and all the women go back to the kitchen. I should have figured it would be crap when I saw the climate change denial rant at the beginning, just before the semen-scented rain.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

Watching Chernobyl

i'm witing until i can see it with my fiance but i keep reading about the show and it's supposed to be so loving good

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

packetmantis posted:

semen-scented rain.

Sure that's not just the Bradford pear trees?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PittTheElder posted:

It's hilarious when you compare even introductory thinking about what a post apocalypse would look like, to something like Fallout, where people are still eating canned goods and snack food from 200 years prior.
I think the big root here is that Fallout is based on all those pop culture images of The Bomb and then also the examinations of what life* would be like After the Bomb, which were very likely both wrong. I think the first one is only like twenty years after the bombs though?

It just gets dumb when after like two hundred years with no habitation, most places would probably be weather-appropriate wild biomes with hulking ruined remnants of large-scale infrastructure and some of the bigger/concrete-er buildings.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

if guns stop working british street gangs will inherit the earth

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

HEY GUNS posted:

And the Yakuza.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Carth Dookie posted:

And the Yakuza.
i'd watch a miniseries where british street gangs and the yakuza have formed a working society in the ruins of postapocalyptic new london

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GUNS posted:

chavalry

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Carth Dookie posted:

And the Yakuza.
Will Heat moves still work in the post-gunpocalypse?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Speaking of Chernobyl, the Soviet nuclear power authority has one of the best code/cover names I've ever seen. "The Ministry Of Medium Machine Building." Medium machines! What a sublime touch.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

chavalry

an actual self-adopted nickname for the Royal Tank Regiment, because they're the direct successors of the Machine Gun Corps (Heavy Branch) instead of being descended from a cavalry unit, and are therefore a bunch of frightful oiks with no breeding

Lobster God posted:

Agree completely. I'd also strongly recommend Riddley Walker, great book written entirely in a post-apocalyptic dialect of English. Loads of subtext/ hidden meanings but written with a really compelling narrative.

Aye luv de consepp uv Riddley bu fur goh sayk iss a reel uge payn in da bumm reedin para afta para n payj afta payj afta payj uv dis stuf n aye jess wanner thro it rite atta the neeres winda cos iss jus 2 many wurk mennali confertin it inta aktual ingellshspek

vvv same vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ugh that gave me flashbacks to Feersum Endjinn