Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Here is a screenshot of the periodic table of gun materials that Bhroom made.

We came up with most of these materials together, but he figured out how to arrange them, and this all worked, as absurd as it was.
There was another chart where you could select two materials and it showed you the result.
The idea was to have the resulting materials of a fusion seem random to the player at first, but every material combination always having the same result meant people could "map" how the combinations work, and eventually maybe actually realize the full horror of what we made, this table above here.

Some of these gun materials I later worked on to make their shots have more personality, and that was a lot of fun. The Klispin (I think we renamed it Marble?) gun fired spooky ghosts that hunted down enemies and moved through them (basically the wraithverge weapon from Hexen), the pinata gun fired candy, the yggdrasil gun left behind a trail of nature, grass and flowers growing, the crystal gun shots exploded in random shrapnel, while the diamond gun exploded in shrapnel flying in specific angular directions, the fungus gun fired floating spores that spawned mushrooms when it hit the ground, the imaginary guns were all Hoopz just holding nothing in his hands, firing invisible hitscan bullets and making gun sounds with his mouth, and was supposed to be more powerful the more innocent Hoopz was (basically the less time passed I think the stronger it would get? Im not sure we ever implemented that idea though!).

Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
tag yourself, I'm polenta :yum:

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Hello Agent Barkley

I'll see you again in 25 years

Somebody put a FISH in the SOURCE CODE

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i want this game now more than ever.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FrankieSmileShow posted:

We came up with most of these materials together, but he figured out how to arrange them, and this all worked, as absurd as it was.
There was another chart where you could select two materials and it showed you the result.
The idea was to have the resulting materials of a fusion seem random to the player at first, but every material combination always having the same result meant people could "map" how the combinations work, and eventually maybe actually realize the full horror of what we made, this table above here.

Some of these gun materials I later worked on to make their shots have more personality, and that was a lot of fun. The Klispin (I think we renamed it Marble?) gun fired spooky ghosts that hunted down enemies and moved through them (basically the wraithverge weapon from Hexen), the pinata gun fired candy, the yggdrasil gun left behind a trail of nature, grass and flowers growing, the crystal gun shots exploded in random shrapnel, while the diamond gun exploded in shrapnel flying in specific angular directions, the fungus gun fired floating spores that spawned mushrooms when it hit the ground, the imaginary guns were all Hoopz just holding nothing in his hands, firing invisible hitscan bullets and making gun sounds with his mouth, and was supposed to be more powerful the more innocent Hoopz was (basically the less time passed I think the stronger it would get? Im not sure we ever implemented that idea though!).

Get with Dodge Roll, this needs to be an Enter the Gungeon expansion, STAT.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm rotten

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

im glad the kickstarter finally delivered, after all this time

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

FrankieSmileShow posted:

I feel bad for not kickstarting the game because I'm really enjoying it right now

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
this thread is a very cool format for a postmortem with its years of "the promise has been made" working to contextualize these later reveals

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Studio posted:

I'm rotten

What? gently caress, I should have that one reserved!

... Nevermind, I like Rogue Taxidermy better.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

:orb: forever

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Aluminum AND aluminium :)

Also selvege denim should morph from normal denim like studded leather from leather.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Aluminum AND aluminium :)

Also selvege denim should morph from normal denim like studded leather from leather.

ok what happens if you fuse aluminum and aluminium i must know

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Here are the pistols for every material!

There were also flintlocks, machine pistols, revolvers, magnums, flare guns, rifles, muskets, hunting rifles, tranq rifles, sniper rifles, assault rifles, submachine guns, heavy machinegun, gatling gun, minigun, mitrailleuse, shotgun, double-barreled shotguns, revolver shotguns, elephant guns, crossbows, flamethrowers, rocket launchers and BFGs

For the sprite of the gun in your characters' hands, I had put together a basic system so that the guns roughly look like some simplified version of those pictures. I made a white, shaded basic sprite for 16 facing directions for every gun type (pistol, shotgun etc) that we could apply a blending color to, and added an extra layer on top that highlights specific parts of the gun (like the cannon or the stock) that could have a secondary color. So for instance, the Francium guns (glowing green with yellow/black warning labels, fourth from the bottom in column 4 up there) had a green main color and a secondary yellow color. Not enough to actually look like the weapons shown above, but enough that you can differentiate them at a glance a little in your own hands at least, which was the important part so you could quickly mousewheel through your arsenal and know what you are using before firing or looking down at your HUD.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

MMF Freeway posted:

soy

edit: the "damascus steel" gun with the telltale banding effect is loving funny. God I wish I got to play this

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Holy gently caress

The world is a worse place for this game not existing.

Same thing I said to cboyardee: please never, ever stop making awesome things.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Also he streamed drawing the gun's as well as implementing the cool features of the gun's. They looked absolutely amazing in motion. Honestly even if combat weren't challenging or fun on a mechanical level just those mechanisms might have been enough to keep most of us amused.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dibs on plantain because he took my dumb suggestion of naming the super banana gun' the cavendishtroyer.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Finish the game nerds. Cut out the unnecessary mechanics and rip the combat off of Gungeon or some other indie action game.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

FrankieSmileShow posted:

the imaginary guns were all Hoopz just holding nothing in his hands, firing invisible hitscan bullets and making gun sounds with his mouth, and was supposed to be more powerful the more innocent Hoopz was (basically the less time passed I think the stronger it would get? Im not sure we ever implemented that idea though!).

Are you implying that the mysterious amnesiac gamer psycho mercenary X114JAM9 is, in fact, Hoopz Barkley from the first game? :aaaaa:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

open source it

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

you od'd on ideas

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
ill start the patreon

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

poo poo we just need a combat system and we can do this y'all

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Those ideas and implementations are all amazing and I really want to play that game

MagurEnch
Nov 28, 2015

cboy posted:

I don't know what I can do to at least partially make things right, but I welcome suggestions.

Honestly, all I really want from you guys is to clear your consciences of this and move on. You're all exceptionally funny, talented and good people, so the last thing I want is to see the burden of this project hold you back from pursuing what you actually want to do with your lives.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Do a second Kickstarter but call it Barkley 3. Problem solved

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i still...

i...

...lieve...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pathos posted:

Barkley 3: Game of the Year Edition

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pathos posted:

This could become a parody of keiji inafune and everything surrounding mighty no 9

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I wouldn't call this an immidiate call to action, but rather the door will always be open and we'll keep the Barkley 4 candle lit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Release the gun's. Become what you must.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Those guns are a thing of beauty. Don't let them disappear into the void.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

so what you're saying is the character that bhroom generated from my wizard interview will never be seen? I've been holding onto this piece of paper for years for NOTHING?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Here are the pistols for every material!

There were also flintlocks, machine pistols, revolvers, magnums, flare guns, rifles, muskets, hunting rifles, tranq rifles, sniper rifles, assault rifles, submachine guns, heavy machinegun, gatling gun, minigun, mitrailleuse, shotgun, double-barreled shotguns, revolver shotguns, elephant guns, crossbows, flamethrowers, rocket launchers and BFGs

For the sprite of the gun in your characters' hands, I had put together a basic system so that the guns roughly look like some simplified version of those pictures. I made a white, shaded basic sprite for 16 facing directions for every gun type (pistol, shotgun etc) that we could apply a blending color to, and added an extra layer on top that highlights specific parts of the gun (like the cannon or the stock) that could have a secondary color. So for instance, the Francium guns (glowing green with yellow/black warning labels, fourth from the bottom in column 4 up there) had a green main color and a secondary yellow color. Not enough to actually look like the weapons shown above, but enough that you can differentiate them at a glance a little in your own hands at least, which was the important part so you could quickly mousewheel through your arsenal and know what you are using before firing or looking down at your HUD.

goddamn colidial silver

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Patware posted:

i still...

i...

...lieve...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I know a bunch of people already recommended CrossCode but if you're jonesing for something with good top down 2d guns gameplay it really is fun

also oh my god this is amazing don't stop posting and I wish I could throw money at you to make this game happen

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well, you can't. that's largely what they're saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I know a bunch of people already recommended CrossCode but if you're jonesing for something with good top down 2d guns gameplay it really is fun

also oh my god this is amazing don't stop posting and I wish I could throw money at you to make this game happen

Crosscode has a demo where you get a brief taste of the extremely basic gameplay before the serious puzzles hit.

Oddly enough you can play it in your browser. http://www.cross-code.com/en/home