Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I, Butthole posted:

i mean

i enjoy the hell out of turkey shoot, it's an ozploitation classic and it's great fun

i wouldn't classify it as "genuinely-good"

By "genuinely good" I meant compared to most of the catalog of Severin, which is a low bar considering some of the stuff they put out. Somebody with a low tolerance for schlock could still enjoy Turkey Shoot. It's not boring, it's not gross, it's competently made and the two leads are really good in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
picked up Viy and Beyond the Darkness from Severin, as well as the limited slipcover for the latter because why not. I'm not huge on slips but Severin always makes super nice ones.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wasn't going to do any sales until July B&N Criterion, but Viy looks amazing. Also picked up The Stunt Man, The Horror of Party Beach, Threads, and Snuff Box. Would have also bought Santa Sangre, but I'll wait for the 4K remaster that hopefully comes out around the time Arrow's Jodorowsky set arrives.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I couldn't resist and bought Blue Velvet. I'll save Police Story for the sale.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1134462553160060928

Arrow August Releases:
Oldboy (UK)
Alice, Sweet Alice (US, Canada)
Cruising (UK, US, Canada)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Monday_ posted:

No MST3K commentary track = no purchase.

They chopped the hell out of the movie, to the point where MST3K the Movie is significantly shorter than This Island Earth even with the host segments. Plus a good portion of the commentary is of the credits for the MST3K movie itself. The good news is that Shout already put MST3K the Movie on blu.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

FINALLY picked up a copy of Santa Sangre on Blu thanks to the Severin sale. :hellyeah:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Splint Chesthair posted:

The good news is that Shout already put MST3K the Movie on blu.

wait what

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Timby posted:

wait what

It's a nice special edition too. I just wish the deleted scenes were actually watchable (From an audio/video standpoint).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

caligulamprey posted:

It's a nice special edition too. I just wish the deleted scenes were actually watchable (From an audio/video standpoint).

Son of a bitch, that's the first thing I'm buying when I get a job.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

caligulamprey posted:

FINALLY picked up a copy of Santa Sangre on Blu thanks to the Severin sale. :hellyeah:

yeah gently caress it I added this as well, can't pass it up for $10

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

FancyMike posted:

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1134462553160060928

Arrow August Releases:
Oldboy (UK)

For me. Been waiting a long time to see Cruising.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

mallratcal posted:

For me. Been waiting a long time to see Cruising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dXb5UuRrPA

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Yep, just put in an order for that 3-disc version of Oldboy, along with Arrow Video's upcoming release of Being John Malkovich.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Yep, just put in an order for that 3-disc version of Oldboy, along with Arrow Video's upcoming release of Being John Malkovich.

Is there anything about John Malkovich that makes it better than Criterion's release or are you just in region 2?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Apparently within minutes of posting news of the Oldboy release, Arrow ran into rights issues with some of the extras since they're supposed to be for the Korean release only.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hm kinda wanna put money on the rights holders knowing this issue and purposely waited until the news was public so they can force licensing money, which they might not have done prior to release.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

CPL593H posted:

Is there anything about John Malkovich that makes it better than Criterion's release or are you just in region 2?

I'm a Region B lad, but from what I can tell, the releases are more or less identical, other than the label. Directly from the Arrow listing:

Restored from a 4K scan of the original camera negative and approved by director Spike Jonze
High Definition Blu-Ray (1080p) presentation
Original 5.1 DTS-HD master audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
Select scene audio commentary by Jonze’s friend and competitor, the filmmaker Michel Gondry
John Malkovich and John Hodgman, a conversation between the film’s star and the actor, writer and humourist
Strung Along, a new featurette exploring the marionettes made for the film, featuring newly shot interviews with puppeteer Phillip Huber and puppeteer/designer/fabricators Kamela Portuges and Lee Armstrong
The 7½ Floor, the full corporate orientation video seen in the film
John Horatio Malkovich: Dance of Despair and Disillusionment, the full pseudo-documentary seen in the film
An Interview with Director Spike Jonze, a brief chat with the director filmed under duress by Lance Bangs
An Intimate Portrait of the Art of Puppeteering, an archival interview with Phillip Huber filmed on set by Lance Bangs
An Intimate Portrait of the Art of Background Driving, an on-set look at filming the New Jersey Turnpike sequence by Lance Bangs
Don’t Enter Here, There Is Nothing Here
Theatrical trailer and TV spots
Image gallery
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Vero Navarro
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Roger Keen and archive publicity materials

https://www.arrowfilms.com/product-detail/being-john-malkovich-blu-ray/FCD1914

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hm kinda wanna put money on the rights holders knowing this issue and purposely waited until the news was public so they can force licensing money, which they might not have done prior to release.

Arrow apparently has a history of loving around extras producers (I think the 88 Films guys were burned) so I wouldn't assume they're blameless either.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I seem to remember a couple of cast members from Shock Treatment talking about how Arrow never paid them for working on the special features too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
welp, had an unexpected $1200 repair on my car today that basically wipes out my budget for the next two months, so I had to cancel my Severin order :(

god drat life getting in the way of buying movies :argh:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I dragged my feet on Viy and now it’s sold out. Oh well, I’ll just wait for the Black Friday sale. At least there’s a crappy upload on Youtube to watch

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I almost didn't pull the trigger on Viy, but I was lucky enough to snag it earlier today. It's been on my to-watch list for a while, and there's never been a blu ray release for it before, so I went ahead and grabbed it (and Beyond the Darkness to round out my other Joe D'Amato purchases).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy cow why are the Batman 4ks so much money

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

https://twitter.com/scream_factory/status/1135578703545528320?s=21

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liar Lyre posted:

I dragged my feet on Viy and now it’s sold out. Oh well, I’ll just wait for the Black Friday sale. At least there’s a crappy upload on Youtube to watch

:same:

I got my Vinegar Syndrome haul, number 191 of Savage Harbor, and number 2460 on Evil Town.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't know how to feel about this. It's so annoying to be so blatantly pandered to by a culture that universally disregarded and spit on you until very recently. Aside from the fact that this is the most "How do you do, fellow kids poo poo ever.". I mean the side effect is basically that being gay is normalized to a degree by things like this or whatever, but it's hard not to feel angry about it. And really that's not what the people behind things like this care about, they just want some of that sweet, sweet woke money. They still don't a poo poo about trans or non-binary people and gay women are largely ignored as well. To the culture at large the LGBT movement and culture is just cis white gay men. Don't get me wrong I wish pop culture was kinder to gay people when I was younger, but this is still a hollow cowardly half measure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No that’s pretty much the right way to feel. But it’s usually pretty fleeting and the anger switches over to the asshat who doesn’t like it for very different reasons.

I didn’t care for Babadook much, I don’t recall it being a particularly LGBT film though? Is this an odd choice for the treatment or am I completely forgetting a massive plot line or something?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

No it's definitely an odd choice for the treatment.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Netflix accidentally filed The Bababook under their Gay and Lesbian category and gays ran away with it almost two years ago.

It's simply a hollow, misguided marketing move aimed at The Kids. Scream factory got a bunch of Clive Barker an John Waters releases (not to mention the campier non horror-related releases under Shout/Shout Select) and decided to run with The Babadook instead due to a stale meme. The discomfort stems from the mass commodification of a disenfranchised subculture, not The Babadook.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 3, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Netflix accidentally filed The Bababook under their Gay and Lesbian category and gays ran away with it almost two years ago.

It's simply a hollow, misguided marketing move aimed at The Kids. Scream factory got a bunch of Clive Barker an John Waters releases (not to mention the campier non horror-related releases under Shout/Shout Select) and decided to run with The Babadook instead due to a stale meme. The discomfort stems from the mass commodification of a disenfranchised subculture, not The Babadook.

Yeah all of this. The rest of the list is pretty on the nose thought becasue they are either LGBT movies and shows or stuff that is very popular with LGBT people. I was pretty amused by the inclusion of The Sentinel.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't know if John Waters would be into his movies getting Pride colours, or maybe he'd just enjoy the tackiness of it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Also offended by "a portion of" the loving sales.

Just donate them all you asshats! No one wants to know that .05 cents of this went to Project Aids Quilt or someshit you fucks.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'll drink to that!

https://twitter.com/BudweiserUK/status/1134489785668521984

:smith:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Managed to find the OOP UK UHD special edition of Blade Runner on eBay for $60 shipped. Unlike the US UHD, it's basically the 30th anniversary edition plus a UHD disc. That is, Final Cut on one disc, theatrical/international/director's cuts on another plus Dangerous Days, and the workprint plus all the supplements (plus a photo gallery exclusive) across three Blu-rays. The US edition idiotically opted for DVDs for the supplements and Dangerous Days while leaving off the four cuts.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Holy cow why are the Batman 4ks so much money

$24 isn't that bad for new UHD releases, especially since the Blu-ray is from the same remaster.

Cursed images thread is down the hall

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I meant to ask before, is there a RoboCop blu-ray coming from Arrow and if so, is that going to be UK only? I recall it being mentioned here a while back.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/BudweiserUK/status/1134491737920065536

holy poo poo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hate this but I love that it will make dumb reactionaries mad. I can’t imagine that the Budweiser brand is kept alive by much else aside from nostalgia and Americana by this point, so yeah get hosed dad and Uncle Mark, you fuckin’ bigot-rear end homophobe racists. No more beer for you.

Uncle Mark even liked Hellraiser until he found out Barker was gay. I won’t be happy until he loses riding mowers and boats to the gays as well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm looking forward to the eventual tweet where some homophone announces he's quitting Budweiser and moving on to a different brand, which is also owned by Budweiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Is Shout Factory really that big a corporation?