Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
it's freakin tall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
That 3D mesh is going to look great caked in dust after a few weeks

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

an SGI Onyx wasn’t built out of commodity parts you can pick up from Newegg for 1/5 the price

I mean to be fair here none of it is "Commodity" that xeon is probably 1500 alone. The board is probably a grand because it's special, and a 1500W PSU is definitely getting up there especially robust enough to fit this sort of system. This isn't exactly an SGI system but it's not a newegg gaming rig either.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The new mac pro is like one of those concept cars; Apple doesn't intend to ever sell one of those.

SRQ posted:

I mean to be fair here none of it is "Commodity" that xeon is probably 1500 alone. The board is probably a grand because it's special, and a 1500W PSU is definitely getting up there especially robust enough to fit this sort of system. This isn't exactly an SGI system but it's not a newegg gaming rig either.

Yeah, it's an over-engineered POS that completely misses expectations. Nothing about this is special in the way SGI systems were special in their day.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Vomik posted:

oh nice, although i suppose you'd have to keep the 256gb as the boot drive? maybe not, since I think on the mbp it just doesn't allow you to use the keyboard/trackpad/camera, but if you plug in an external it works.

you can also turn T2 encryption off entirely. It's on by default and will restrict boot devices, but can be entirely disabled and bypassed fairly easily.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Lambert posted:

The new mac pro is like one of those concept cars; Apple doesn't intend to ever sell one of those.

Yeah, it's an over-engineered POS that completely misses expectations. Nothing about this is special in the way SGI systems were special in their day.

yes, but commodity it isn't. it can't be wrong in both ways

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

That 3D mesh is going to look great caked in dust after a few weeks

mac goop

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when most people ask for "pro" features what they really mean is they want to be able to performatively signify they can afford pro-level stuff, dudes just want that white canon lens, a super aero bike frame or the m badge on their beemer

apple is being smart by soaking those folks for all they're worth imo, actual pros who need this level of hardware can just depreciate it on their taxes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pram posted:

tim didnt make the good gaming rig for casual fortnite that yospos was apparently expecting
20 years on and nerds still manage to convince themselves that apple is on the verge of releasing a consumer/hobbyist tier xmac system

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

$849 is really good for a 2017 MBA rite

I have a mid-2012 that's slowly dying and that's the last one that has the non-lovely keyboard

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

FMguru posted:

20 years on and nerds still manage to convince themselves that apple is on the verge of releasing a consumer/hobbyist tier xmac system

the Mac Pro 2006 was 2500 dollars, well within range for an enthusiast

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

SRQ posted:

6,000 American dollars for a workstation with 256GB of SSD and [probably] 16GB of ram.

32 gigglebytes confirmed!!

can someone explain to me, a moron idiot, what the afterburner card is?

all the privacy stuff is real good

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

FMguru posted:

Apple is a hobbyist brand, their "pro" efforts are laughable

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

Ah yes, single sign-in across multiple services with one company: This must be great for privacy!

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

32 gigglebytes confirmed!!

can someone explain to me, a moron idiot, what the afterburner card is?

the afterburner card is an asic that turns raw video files into apple prores, a video codec people used to use for editing a decade ago

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

The base Mac Pro will include an eight-core Xeon CPU, 32GB of memory, a 256GB SSD and the Radeon Pro 580X graphics card and will start at $5,999.
https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/03/apple-finally-reveals-the-new-mac-pro

imagine how big of a tool you’d have to be to defend this. lol. lmao

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

wait I thought the base was 28 cores, an 8 core xeon is like 500 bucks

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The 580X is a slightly upclocked RX 580, a low-end card based on a card from 2016. Just lol.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

radeon pro models are low-power versions afaik, so that's a radeon 580 (outdated by two years) except low power

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

the talent deficit posted:

the afterburner card is an asic that turns raw video files into apple prores, a video codec people used to use for editing a decade ago

what pray tell would have replaced it today, then? DNxHD?
i wish pagancow didnt get banned sometimes lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

anything good on the soft ware?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Sniep posted:

Pretty sure it's this, DNxHD MXF.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

BONGHITZ posted:

anything good on the soft ware?

the iPad os got more gestures that are so intuitive that the presenter could barley get them to work during a high scripted, perfectly optimized demo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kobayashi posted:

the iPad os got more gestures that are so intuitive that the presenter could barley get them to work during a high scripted, perfectly optimized demo

I bet some developer at apple has marzipan files.app running instead of finder on their mac right now

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Sniep posted:

i think pretty much everything just works on raw now. the intel extensions and cuda decoders make intermediate formats sort of useless

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao they really doubled down on the cheese grater asthetic

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SRQ posted:

wait I thought the base was 28 cores, an 8 core xeon is like 500 bucks

https://twitter.com/tapbot_paul/status/1135615562581774336

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

the talent deficit posted:

i think pretty much everything just works on raw now. the intel extensions and cuda decoders make intermediate formats sort of useless

prores 422 / dnxhd isnt an intermediate format tho.
like prores lt / proxy is but wasn't that the point of this, that you can run straight real legit prores / raw and not need the intermediate workflow?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

sweet Jesus how the gently caress is that supposed to compete with Epyc in any way

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SRQ posted:

sweet Jesus how the gently caress is that supposed to compete with Epyc in any way
No one ever got fired for buying intel

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

thats the wrong proc

it would be this single socket workstation cpu, a little cheaper at $7453.00
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/193754/intel-xeon-w-3275m-processor-38-5m-cache-2-50-ghz.html

or this one for $2999
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/189452/intel-xeon-w-3175x-processor-38-5m-cache-3-10-ghz.html

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/06/03/sign-in-with-apple-required-as-sign-in-option/

this really, really sucks.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Actually, it’s excellent.

I hope they roll out an option that spawns those fake emails for web signups too.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
wow, folks really fucken love their... uh... goog oauth? i guess?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

all those lovely "you must sign in to even look at the site" sites like massdrop and touchofmodern are probably boned

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:yeshaha:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/JoannaStern/status/1135699400917839872

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
has anyone said "Apple Surninam Toad" yet

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
default shell in catalina is zsh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lain Iwakura posted:

default shell in catalina is zsh

better than the outdated version of bash because of gpl3

now when are we getting python 3 as the default python