Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm just lolling at all the comments from people who bitched for years about needing a 'pro' machine, then were upset that apple made a pro machine that starts at $6k and needs probably $10k into it to really shine

Yeah it’s not a hobbyist, prosumer tower. For the market it’s in (VFX, editing, pro audio, data viz, simulations) it’s expensive but not crazy and most large orgs don’t give a poo poo about hardware costs as it’s a capex that depreciates. So, yeah it’s a pro workstation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wheels are $499

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It feels like the iMac Pro or an upgraded Mac Mini are the replacements for the entry level Mac Pro, and why it’s now priced higher. Anyone who balks at the cost probably isn’t in the marker for one.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Wheels are $499

Please tell me this is a joke.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone who balks at the cost probably isn’t in the marker for one.

have you ever seen an apple product announcement

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pivo posted:

The original cheesegrater had a mid-range model that sold for $2499, per Wikipedia. In 2006 dollars, that's ~3100 today. So the new Mac Pro starts at twice that. I wonder if the $6k base model price is missing the point of an upgradeable computer a bit.
The Mac mini is their non outrageously expensive “upgradeable” machine now. Still expensive for what you get, and while not ideal, external stuff works reasonably well enough nowadays.

I’m kinda surprised no one’s made a wacky elaborate expansion chassis for it with a PCIe slot or two and some storage bays and more I/O, but perhaps the $5000 price gap to the entry level Mac Pro is the motivation they need. Or just a regular TB3 box with more stuff, the Mac mini is small enough to just plop on top really. I think there’s a few eGPUs that are multi function already.

BonoMan posted:

Well the frustrating point to me is that you aren't even starting with something that's overkill. It's weak. Those are really weak specs for $6k. Instead you are essentially paying for potentiality. It's dumb. You're overpaying for the idea that you can someday overpay some more.
Yeah that’s the biggest issue I see...as someone that isn’t buying one. But like, they could stand to match the iMac Pro entry spec GPU and SSD (Vega and 1TB) for that price.

Related side note with the Mac mini and MP low entry spec, I think you might be able to get reasonably close with a $2000-2500 Mac mini setup :v:

Bob Morales posted:

Wheels are $499
I can’t tell if you’re joking or not and that’s glorious :allears:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

of course it's $499

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

you will probably be able to get third party casters for your mac pro lol

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

an actual dog posted:

you will probably be able to get third party casters for your mac pro lol
I hope they’re standard caster wheel mounts so I can stick $500 Apple wheels on everything.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

EL BROMANCE posted:

It feels like the iMac Pro or an upgraded Mac Mini are the replacements for the entry level Mac Pro, and why it’s now priced higher. Anyone who balks at the cost probably isn’t in the marker for one.

Maybe all I want is a Mac Mini that has room to put in more RAM (not replace the existing sticks in it), and one more slot for another SSD.... it's too much to ask, I know

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PRADA SLUT posted:

have you ever seen an apple product announcement

Enough that I don’t really care about what they put out these days because I’m still satisfied with my ancient rear end Macs. It’s fun to see what crazy poo poo they’re up to when money is no limit and play ‘guess what the nerds are moaning about this time’.

Astro7x posted:

Maybe all I want is a Mac Mini that has room to put in more RAM (not replace the existing sticks in it), and one more slot for another SSD.... it's too much to ask, I know

Yeah understandable. Could always sell the existing sticks though at least.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Wait wait WAIT.

The monitor doesn't come with a stand.

It's $1000 extra (and the VESA mount adapter, to use a different stand, is $200).

This is the most Apple thing ever. Bold move.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...wLCd_c0nFtiFLn0

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
yeah we've been over that a few times now.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

can’t wait to see some redditor post shots of one just propped against the wall on his parents’ basement floor

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/DaveLeeBBC/status/1135709989861859329

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BonoMan posted:

Wait wait WAIT.

The monitor doesn't come with a stand.

It's $1000 extra (and the VESA mount adapter, to use a different stand, is $200).

This is the most Apple thing ever. Bold move.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...wLCd_c0nFtiFLn0

Still apparently way cheaper than the alternatives on the market. I think Apple just expects most people in need of a “normal” display to go with the new LG 4K one or another third party brand. I guess people who want a companion to their 5K iMac display can go gently caress themselves for now at least.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

LG still sells the 5k through other outlets.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
If there is one thing that I think we can all admit... it's an loving incredibly awesome stand. It attaches the screen to the stand with a magnet and holds the whole weight of the monitor. Nevermind the fact that I've only taken my monitor off the stand once. It's just a completely unnecessary Apple way of doing things.

That said, I can't wait for the same concept to be copied by another company for a fraction of the price.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Astro7x posted:

Doesn't one of the more recent minis have room to shove two drives in there and two sata ports? I could swear the one I was fiddling with the drive in the other day had that.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I have a dell 4K whose stand goes up and down with little force, tilts, rotates laterally, pops on and off the panel with the push of a button, is VESA compatible from the factory, and rotates to portrait mode easily. It was included in the cost of the sub-$500 monitor. They aren’t exactly breaking any functional ground here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Spime Wrangler posted:

I have a dell 4K whose stand goes up and down with little force, tilts, rotates laterally, pops on and off the panel with the push of a button, is VESA compatible from the factory, and rotates to portrait mode easily. It was included in the cost of the sub-$500 monitor. They aren’t exactly breaking any functional ground here.

But is a magnet? Methinks not.

EDIT: The monitor sounds good but I think it's going to take some testing to make sure it's comparable to those it's comparing itself too. They usually include things like scopes, lifetime calibration (we can return our FSI anytime for recal) and a multitude of other inputs.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 4, 2019

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

gently caress.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is it 32”?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Yea, soft

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

If Apple had ended their blood feud with Nvidia, Nvidia would have been prominently mentioned in the Mac Pro presentation as a graphics option. (The Mac Pro once featured both ATI and Nvidia cards as BTO options.) And it sounds like many developers received financial and technical support from Apple to port CUDA-first stuff to Metal.

The new Pro Display's design feels like a preview of an upcoming iMac redesign. The bezels are 9mm thick, which is a space that the Face ID camera setup can absolutely fit into.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

If Apple had ended their blood feud with Nvidia, Nvidia would have been prominently mentioned in the Mac Pro presentation as a graphics option. (The Mac Pro once featured both ATI and Nvidia cards as BTO options.) And it sounds like many developers received financial and technical support from Apple to port CUDA-first stuff to Metal.

The new Pro Display's design feels like a preview of an upcoming iMac redesign. The bezels are 9mm thick, which is a space that the Face ID camera setup can absolutely fit into.

I feel like the fancy cheese grater holes are probably reserved for the Mac Pro and the 6K display tho. Unfortunately, because I think they look killer.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Bob Morales posted:

Wheels are $499

Bonobos posted:

Please tell me this is a joke.

It's no joke. Goes up to $1499 if you want the diamond encrusted 24k gold plated handle to attach to those wheels.

For only $4999 more, Tim Apple will come to your house or place of business and install them for you.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

A co-worker told me about the $999 stand and the $200 VESA option. I didn’t believe her.

They can honey comb the back of the monitor but can’t include a built in VESA mount?

Edit: not complaining about the price of $5000 for the monitor just the vesa mount option... should be built in

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 4, 2019

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
If the monitor attaches to the stand with a magnet, wouldn't it be some special plate with a big magnet in it that attaches to the VESA arm, so the monitor still attaches with a magnet?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Astro7x posted:

If there is one thing that I think we can all admit... it's an loving incredibly awesome stand. It attaches the screen to the stand with a magnet and holds the whole weight of the monitor. Nevermind the fact that I've only taken my monitor off the stand once. It's just a completely unnecessary Apple way of doing things.

That said, I can't wait for the same concept to be copied by another company for a fraction of the price.

I can't wait for someone to sell a $99 copy that completely destroys somebodies $6k monitor when it comes crashing down off of it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
in NON MAC PRO NEWS, are there any performance specs on the new MBP? I'm hearing nothing but conjecture about ~thermal throttling~ but haven't actually seen data to back up any point of view. Are there details here?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

in NON MAC PRO NEWS, are there any performance specs on the new MBP? I'm hearing nothing but conjecture about ~thermal throttling~ but haven't actually seen data to back up any point of view. Are there details here?

Yeah, it’s fine last I heard.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://barefeats.com/rmbp-2019-8c-throttling.html

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Doesn't one of the more recent minis have room to shove two drives in there and two sata ports? I could swear the one I was fiddling with the drive in the other day had that.
If 2012 is recent, yes.These days USB and TB3 are faster though.

eames
May 9, 2009

obligatory Ive video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl4Hg23RQHQ

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
the cMP is booting the Catalina DP with a one-line edit :woop:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think Apple just expects most people in need of a “normal” display to go with the new LG 4K one or another third party brand. I guess people who want a companion to their 5K iMac display can go gently caress themselves for now at least.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Planar-...dwAAOSwab5c8asQ

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Lazyhound posted:

the cMP is booting the Catalina DP with a one-line edit :woop:

I was gonna ask about that seeing as now my 5,1 is on the shitlist. I don't think I can get my boss to buy me a 6 grand base model mac pro, let alone the monitor stand haha.

Saying that Catalina isn't gonna be massively different from Mojave anyway?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm looking forward to Catalina on my 14 MBP solely because of sidecar, being able to use my iPad as an external display natively will be pretty awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sidecar needed to be a thing like two or three years ago, or whenever the iPad Pro came out. This is the first thing that makes me actually want an iPad. Then again, I'm sure iPads never needed any help in the sales department.