Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

you didn't link to your gear, just the LP homepage

that site kinda suck, the only "share" option is export to an embed code that you can't even pull the URL out of. It's dumb as hell and you have to edit the url to get yours

Aww, eff. Page is here, original link fixed :rip:

quote:

Also, food. I know I'm asking a lot and food is a HUGE topic but that's the biggest thing I'm always concerned and interested about. I generally go car camping and bring Mountain House stuff or MREs. Actually I don't bring any snacks which I should. I love beef jerky and make my own sometimes. What do you guys usually bring for food on a standard 2-3 day trip. Again I know this might be a :can: but it's a fun topic in my opinion.

This gets brought up every few dozen pages or so. If you can afford mountain house stuff go ham, but I find it's not a lot of food for the price. MREs are a better value, I guess, if they're not something you've been forced to eat before in the military. Making your own meals can be done on the cheap with a bit of creativity and planning though. Andrew Skurka has a page of recipes on his site that are generally favored. Harmony House Foods has some great dehydrated and freeze dried foods. I like their kits because it has a bunch of different vegetables pre-mixed. Cook half a pack of those with some seasoning to taste (taco or fajita seasoning works for most blends imo) and some instant rice. My breakfasts are usually instant oats or cream of wheat mixed with nuts, sugar, and spices. If I'm feeling lazy or short on time, you can get away with eating it uncooked.. Imagination is the limit snack-wise. I usually bring a pound of dark chocolate (only $1 at wal mart!), a pound of trail mix divided into quarter pound bags for rationing, and a half dozen clif bars.

Half the fun is figuring out what works for you based on your priorities and preferences. You can go el-cheapo and get some packs of instant noodles or tortillas and peanut butter for cheap calories if you just want fuel instead of food. Some people opt to bring stuff like fruit, meat, and cheese for the first day before it goes bad. There are backpacking manuals out there on how to dehydrate your own food, if you enjoy that aspect of it. Or if convenience is your thing, you can throw enough money at the problem to buy pre-made meal kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
How do people go about planning camping spots along trails you haven't hiked before? So far we've mostly backpacked trails we had previously day-hiked (so knew where spots might be) or to lakes where we could assume there are spots. Is there a good source for these (such as an app or website) for trails that aren't the PCT/AT?

Somewhat related: does anyone have opinions on Gaia GPS or competitors on Android? I've been using Avenza with Caltopo maps, but I'd like to get something that allows me to download an entire region offline. I know I'll have to pay, that's fine (within reason). Gaia has been okay so far on a free trial, but I want to make sure there isn't something better before I shell out for a subscription.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

incogneato posted:

Somewhat related: does anyone have opinions on Gaia GPS or competitors on Android? I've been using Avenza with Caltopo maps, but I'd like to get something that allows me to download an entire region offline. I know I'll have to pay, that's fine (within reason). Gaia has been okay so far on a free trial, but I want to make sure there isn't something better before I shell out for a subscription.

So it's not really focused on pure hiking, but I find myself using OnX more and more for any outdoor activities. It's got layers you can toggle on and off so you can show/hide trails, park boundaries, private land ownership, etc. It can record tracks and set waypoints. It's got offline downloading where you can specify the detail (size) of the download you want.

The biggest drawback is the price. I have a subscription for New Mexico only and that runs $30/year. A 50-state subscription is $100/year. As a hunter, it's worth it. I don't know if a hiker will find it worthwhile, but you could do the 2-week trial and decide for yourself.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you are a mega nerd, do what I do: Learn to use qgis. It's a pretty scary bit of software at first but there ain't nothing you can't do with it. You can export geotagged pdf's, plain old png's, or shapefiles. And probably lots of other formats that I haven't bothered to look for.

Like here's an export of my planned road trip so family knows where I'll be:

And playing around with setting up a hard copy for planned hikes (using opentopo maps which are surprisingly good):

Or find a data set for BLM land parcels and overlay it on satellite images to determine if there's a legal route to a spot you want to visit:

My current favorite app on iOS is Map Plus, it can import just about everything (including downloading map tiles for offline use). It's $20 for all the features and has no subscription, which is a big win for me.

For geopdfs I still use Avenza but the unpaid version so I can only have three maps loaded at once.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Everyone is jumping on Komoots pretty hard, and they seem to have a lot of good support and direction for the app.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I really like GaiaGPS but I haven't really tried anything else. I'm not sure what I could want a software to do that Gaia doesn't - but I also picked it up a few years ago on a mega sale, and am not a hardcore user.

Speaking of Apps - the Lighterpack dev posts on reddit and has been taking suggestions/feedback. As far as reddit goes the camping/hiking/gear subreddits are pretty drat decent, if anyone is gunshy.

incogneato posted:

How do people go about planning camping spots along trails you haven't hiked before? So far we've mostly backpacked trails we had previously day-hiked (so knew where spots might be) or to lakes where we could assume there are spots. Is there a good source for these (such as an app or website) for trails that aren't the PCT/AT?

If you're looking for real sites the best source is usually to contact the people in charge of the land you'll be on, or stealth camp. Any good database will ruin any of the really good sites out there, as the sites would get overused

I keep a record of every campsite I've ever slept at in Gaia, and now have pretty secure spots along my favorite 100 mile trail. I'd also recommend googling the trail you're on + camping or +thru hike +overnight etc. The trail I just referenced doesn't have camping along it legally, but there is a guy I met along the trail who told me to tell everyone else that we can camp on his land. So now in the extremely niche forum for that small trail in MA you'll find the info, but nowhere else.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm looking on the REI website for what they have and apparently I'm still a member after maybe 13 years! :toot: Looking at the reviews and everything I'm really thinking about the Osprey Atmos AG 65 Pack.

Also, food. I know I'm asking a lot and food is a HUGE topic but that's the biggest thing I'm always concerned and interested about. I generally go car camping and bring Mountain House stuff or MREs. Actually I don't bring any snacks which I should. I love beef jerky and make my own sometimes. What do you guys usually bring for food on a standard 2-3 day trip. Again I know this might be a :can: but it's a fun topic in my opinion.

Hi, Atmos AG 70 owner here. I've had it for about 3 years now, put a lot of miles in with it, and it is overall a fantastic pack (if heavier than what I would prefer today). I am over six feet but had to go with a Small due to my body type being approximately 90% leg, 10% torso/head - this is where a professional fitting can be really beneficial. The mesh backing is really very nice and I always grimace in sympathy when hiking buddies drop pack and their entire shirt is soaked in sweat. I very rarely use the 'brain' it comes with, mainly just as a way to hold down a bear can on trips that require one, but it does have the nice feature of being a complete day-pack in itself, complete with a holder for your hydration reservoir. Honestly it probably gets more use separately on day trips than with the full pack. Some other thoughts:

* The velcro backplate adjustment is very nice for getting a good fit. Even with a small I have to push it nearly all the way down in to be comfortable.
* The hip pockets are large but can be a bit finicky getting larger and rigid items (i.e. a phone) to fit nicely.
* Side waterbottle pockets suck. They are too tight to be able to get into easily while wearing the pack. YMMV, I use a reservoir anyway.
* Access through the top with a cinch+flap, front large zipper, or sleeping bag zipper. Inside is just one area.
* Lots of compression straps to pull the pack in against your gear, double as straps for larger items.
* The sewn-in reservoir holder is nice, but creates some dead zones on either side of the water. You can stuff things down in there so the space isn't wasted.
* Pretty water resistant out of the box but having a pack cover for peace of mind is good.

Breakfast: bars, gorp, powdered coffee - these days I mostly avoid cooking in the morning unless it's very cold or going to be a slow start.
Lunch: tuna/chicken packets are 70-100 calories with tons of protein, so mix that with tortillas/crackers/bars.
Dinner: shin ramyun, wild turkey 101, b e e f   s t r o g

eta: REI memberships are lifetime, so if you remember the phone number you used you can still get the dividend etc.

Chard fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 30, 2019

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

incogneato posted:

I sprang for a year of AllTrails, and while I probably won't be reupping it did me okay for finding new places. The app doesn't do well with my phone's GPS, although having the downloaded maps is nice. In general there just aren't as many trails listed as there should be, which is part of any user-driven service I suppose.

My dad uses Gaia and really likes it, we have basically the same phone but he always seems to be able to track our position better than I can.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Thanks for the app suggestions everyone. I'm going to download a couple and see how they compare to Gaia.

charity rereg posted:

If you're looking for real sites the best source is usually to contact the people in charge of the land you'll be on, or stealth camp. Any good database will ruin any of the really good sites out there, as the sites would get overused

I keep a record of every campsite I've ever slept at in Gaia, and now have pretty secure spots along my favorite 100 mile trail. I'd also recommend googling the trail you're on + camping or +thru hike +overnight etc. The trail I just referenced doesn't have camping along it legally, but there is a guy I met along the trail who told me to tell everyone else that we can camp on his land. So now in the extremely niche forum for that small trail in MA you'll find the info, but nowhere else.

The hikes we're looking at are definitely legal to camp/backpack on. I've done it before on that trail, and day-hiked it far enough to see many spots. But I'd like to do a longer loop hike, which will head away from the more well-traveled areas. It's harder to plan when I don't really know if there are any established spots out in that area or not.

I'll try out those searches you suggested. I think I'll either wing it or try to dive into some local hiking forums I know of.

I've been dropping pins for backpacking campsites in Google Maps whenever I pass one for a while now. It's pretty handy, but only if I've day-hiked that way previously.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

These look pretty bad, not quite as terrible as on first look but the single skin must make it pretty grim inside.

I have a 2-day mountain marathon coming up in August so I'm just starting to get gear together. I've ordered a MSR carbon reflex 2 with the fast and light ground thing, the race and camp is all over 2000m and that looks like a good light option. My Hubba NX3 is excellent so hopefully the reflex will do OK.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

a down sleeping bag what can never be washed or aired out and lives inside a moisture tube

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Thanks for the unanimously negative thoughts on the RhinoWolf - that’s what I was worried about but wanted to check with people who actually know about this poo poo first.

Looked at some options based on the replies and I’m gonna try to talk her into a lightweight 2p tent, 2 klymit pads, and 2 quilts instead. Looks like it’ll come out a bit pricier but about 40% lighter overall, better quality, and more versatile.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
But yeah I have to bring up something mentioned earlier, do you really need a 65L pack? REI puts that in the middle of the 3--5 night range; that's the better part of a week. If you're just doing a couple of days, it may well be overkill.

The AG 65 is $270 at 4.5lb.
An Osprey Farpoint 55 is $180 at 3.8lb.
On the other hand, the AG 50 is $230 at 4.2lb, so you're paying with money and your feet for the AGs.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

My longest trip was over 100 mi on the AT and my brainless exos 58 was fine. Now that my gear is a bit upgraded it's overkill. I think 65L as a first and only pack is inviting taking 65L of poo poo. Didn't want to poo poo talk it as everyone has their preferences but I do feel the same.

I felt like a turd when I first got into the hobby because I digested hundreds of hours of info and felt like the guy with no experience acting like an expert, but my hiking partner had a loving slammed 70L pack and I wound up going ahead, making camp, then coming back to pick up her pack...

Especially if the pack itself is pounds heavier than an alternative

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I stuff a 50+10 pretty close to max for 2-3 days but I don't have ultralight everything and I suffer with my cheapness and convince myself I'm developing monster core strength.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

incogneato posted:

I'd never rely on a phone app for navigation, but in terms of locating camping spots, find some literature about the area you're planning on hiking and read trail descriptions if possible. In my area there's tons of free stuff at the library, even if it can be outdated. Look at topographical maps of the area - flat trail? Great! Unless it's running through a swamp, or marsh, or if the trees are thick there and you can't pitch a tent...

Look at Google satellite maps of the area and determine what you can about the landscape from the pictures. Try to find a community online and see if people have posted trail conditions about the place you want to camp at. Do your research and leave time to bail or backtrack if the area you were planning on camping in ends up to be less than ideal.

For me, the pre-trip planning and research for overnights in areas I've never been to before is like 60% of the fun of hiking.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I have just about zero ultralight gear. I'm sure over time I'll learn more and get some better gear. Also I tend to over pack so I'm thinking that I'll go camping a few times and keep eliminating all of the things I don't need. I'd rather have it too big than too small at this point. I still have never gone backpacking yet since no one I know would probably go with me and I'm not sure where the good spots are here in Wisconsin. Although I asked about that earlier in the thread and have written down a few things that I have to look into.

I got a, well a non-start this year so far. I plan on going at least camping soon.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

incogneato posted:

For me it's usually some combination of:

1. Looking at trip reports / gps tracks of other people who have hiked in that area or on that trail to get an idea of where common camp spots are.
2. Asking the ranger when picking up my permit
3. Just looking at the topo map for flat areas in walking distance of water and hoping for the best

I don't usually plan in advance where exactly I'm going to camp. Instead I'll just have a general idea of what regions might be OK, and aim to be near one or more of them by the end of the day. T I'll keep a mental note (or gps waypoint) of potential camping spots I see and just keep walking. When I'm finished hiking, I'll either settle down someplace nearby, or backtrack to the last spot I thought was OK.

Often when I'm at the top of or descending the last pass for the day, I'll have a really clear view of all the terrain ahead and below, and from there can easily identify decent camp spots (or tell what flat looking areas on the map are in fact lovely boulder fields). Just yolo'ing it works pretty well most of the time, as long as you have a rough idea of the terrain and plan your day so you aren't on top of a mountain when it gets dark.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Where would one go about getting a topo map? Do you guys use all electronic versions or do paper ones exist? I'd like a map of my area.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Avenza has free downloads of pretty much the entire US (and maybe more, I never looked) in their map store.

USGS topo maps are available in a google maps style interface here:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=99cd5fbd98934028802b4f797c4b1732

OpenTopoMap is a really nice option with coverage outside the US but it's prone to downtimes because I think it's run on one server under a dude's desk at a university. But they're by far the highest quality free maps I've found online.

https://opentopomap.org/#map=5/47.798/-67.126

Paper copies are typically available at outfitting stores or visitor centers at the big parks.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 1, 2019

Morbus
May 18, 2004

It was mentioned earlier this page but caltopo.com is really great. Outside the US, options are generally less good, less integrated, and not free, since they do not benefit from our superior socialist* system.

*but only for maps

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

incogneato posted:

For backpacking (not car camping), it depends on where you're going.

National parks almost always have the most strict policies on backcountry campsites. Usually it means you have to make reservations for specific sites for specific nights on your route and often won't allow more than 2 nights in each site. Rangers (either by phone or in person) are almost always the best resource for planning this. Reservations are usually made well in advance and last minute trips can mean you don't get to pick where you can pout up your tent but instead be at the mercy of what's available.

Other places like national forests, wilderness areas, etc might be more relaxed and I usually just wing it. Most trails have reports or some maps with markers on them. In all honesty, most times we just see what's available when we get there. Keep track of sites you pass because you might have to backtrack. Also don't wait until sunset to look for a site. Outs 10x harder to find campsites on a trail in the dark.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
I need a recommendation for custom length tent poles.

I pack my tent in my motorcycle saddlebags, but the poles have to go in on a diagonal. If the fiberglass segments were an inch shorter, I could just pack them in normally.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Doesn't help if you just want to replace your current poles, but if you want a whole new tent check out the new Bikepacking series from Big Agnes. They have shortened poles specifically for fitting in smaller spaces.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

We're heading out to NY later today and putting in the water tomorrow for our trip.

One note, I have never ever ever had a problem using a campsite and then making good in the morning. Sometimes you can't get a ranger or someone in the office, or didn't have cell service to make a reservation. Especially on our upcoming trip when you travel by canoe and some sites aren't reachable from the land. You can't realistically go 2 miles ahead, walk to the ranger station, then go back to camp.

If you're on any kind of long distance trail anecdotally 99% of people treat you differently than annoying day hikers. I've been allowed to camp quietly on private land, allowed to park at people's farms, pay later, work for stay, invited for food, all sorts of things.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Alamoduh posted:

I pack my tent in my motorcycle saddlebags, but the poles have to go in on a diagonal. If the fiberglass segments were an inch shorter, I could just pack them in normally.

Another option, and the one i used to use, is just strap the poles to the outside of the luggage, it isn't like they are going to get wet, and if you pack them against the bike, under the bag, you are less likely to break them in in a crash. Or bring a hammock, and never worry about poles again.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Alamoduh posted:

https://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm

Sells components for DIY tent poles, pretty cheap. The aluminum ones come in 13", 18" or 26" segments. Carbon fiber only comes in 17-18".

You could also try just buying new end pieces, cut the existing poles, and re-cord them.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Any recommendations for hikes and camping in or around Acadia? Planning a night or two in July

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Alamoduh posted:

Pretty sure Ruta Locura will make custom poles that work for you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone switch to hammocks from tents and have insight on it?

I already have a hammock and straps, so all I need is a net, quilt and fly. I kinda like the idea and I think I would sleep more comfortably.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Has anyone ITT rented a satellite phone? My initial search to find a place to rent has yielded unclear results, so I dont know if this is a common thing people do?

While we're at it, I'm looking for sat.phone recommendations to rent and even buy, eventually. Insight on what can.go wrong with a sat phone is also a plus.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rolo posted:

I already have a hammock and straps, so all I need is a net, quilt and fly. I kinda like the idea and I think I would sleep more comfortably.

I have an unused rain fly and bugnet if you want it! I’d sell them cheap, say $70?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Mind if I ask brand/models?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Use forum search; topic got a dozen pages within the last year. Enough detail provided to tie your boyfriend in a tree by his thumbs. :whip:

vvv I'm trying to get you a ref, maybe around page 279 but I'm still looking.

Oh much earlier, question starts pg 236: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521471&pagenumber=236&perpage=40#post465521650

They get into the woopie slings starting pg 238: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521471&pagenumber=238&perpage=40#post466217486

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 4, 2019

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Has anyone ITT rented a satellite phone? My initial search to find a place to rent has yielded unclear results, so I dont know if this is a common thing people do?

While we're at it, I'm looking for sat.phone recommendations to rent and even buy, eventually. Insight on what can.go wrong with a sat phone is also a plus.

What do you want one for, and any reason you need/want a satellite phone instead of just an InReach? Much cheaper, smaller, lighter, rugged, doubles as a PLB, and uses the same satellite network as the best phones, and supports 2-way text messaging. Unless you really need phone conversation for some reason I would think this is a better option.

For remote/wilderness use I think your best option is the Iridium constellation. Geostationary (i.e. Inmarsat) networks don't do well in a lot of steep terrain (also useless at high/low latitudes, if that matters). Iridium has global coverage and good reliability, but since it's a LEO constellation occasional call drops are pretty common (though usually you can get right back on shortly). Globalstar is similar, but coverage may not be as complete.

Satellite phones are expensive. Renting one for a few days, you can generally expect to pay at least $100 for a very basic 30-60 minutes, rented over a few days or a week. You can maaaaaybe rent one for $20-50 total if you only use like 15 minutes...but if you don't need a fair number of actual voice conversation minutes then, again, why not just use an InReach?

If you need a satelite phone for data then just lol have fun $$$$$$

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Use forum search; topic got a dozen pages within the last year. Enough detail provided to tie your boyfriend in a tree by his thumbs. :whip:

I only have mobile for posting, so no search :(

Also lol what

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rolo posted:

I have a Hennessy hammock and it's great when it's warm. I remember that people get very complicated about putting them up with webbing straps and that kind of thing but I just tie mine. It does need a little bit bit of practice to get exactly right first time.

The one I have is a great design with the fly and net all in one thing. Obviously it's only useful where there are trees, other than that it does need to be warm and I always use a sleeping mat inside it. Great night sleep in one of those. What do you want to know about it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rolo posted:

Mind if I ask brand/models?

Oh yah, probably helpful. They're both ENO, bought them from another goon also unused but only ever used the hammock itself. Hung them all to test twice with strap system but never slept/camped with them. The rainfly is the diamond shaped one, not the one with the extra flaps to make it more tent like.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Any recommendations for hikes and camping in or around Acadia? Planning a night or two in July

You'll want to reserve a site ahead of time, you can only camp at campgrounds and sites are limited. IMO for first time visitors, Blackwoods is the way to go for convenience to the popular spots. July is high season so I'd get on that ASAP. There are some private campgrounds too, but eh.

Acadia is great because you can really string together anything and make a great time of it. My favorite trail in the park is Jordan Cliffs but it'll likely be closed for falcons during summer. Beehive is really unique and fun, the Bubbles are a short hike with a good payoff, the Penobscot/Sargent loop is a great slightly longer hike, and Gorge Path is a neat trail. These are all generic and popular recommendations but they're popular for a reason... beyond that, I'd suggest just grabbing a map and tracing out a loop based on how far you're comfortable covering in one go. The west side of the park is also awesome (and less trafficked) but I'd spend time in the east if you just have a couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
E: Ah crud, I’m gonna hold off on the purchase.

That is a good deal, though.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 4, 2019