Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Is there a way to deal with the cacti y/n?

If by "deal" you mean "remove", then no.

hint: Cacti can't hurt you while they're buried beneath the sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
I'm in love with this game, but I'm hitting the point I dread in any adventure game where I only have a few ? locations to go but I'm not sure how to proceed.

I've got the Quantum tower on Brittle Hollow that I can't get into, along with the Black Hole Forge. I also have the Sunless City on Ember Twin which still says I'm missing something. Then there are the two shuttles you can interact with but I haven't figured out how to control or land them.

I'm not even upset or looking for answers, I'm just looking forward to the next time I can spend another few hours plugging away, spiraling into the sun while trying to do sick slingshot maneuvers (don't actually try this).

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So... (glitch on Dark Bramble)is the anglerfish supposed to crash my game when it eats me? Also related to Dark Bramble, how do avoid said fish monsters? The hint saying it's blind didn't make much sense.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

1stGear posted:

Light spoiler: You haven't actually turned the station on

Full spoiler: You can use the lifts on the side to go to a lower floor and get the station actually rotating. Once it is, stand in the center of the upper floor, look up, and wait for the station to line up with Brittle Hollow

I felt so dumb when I figured it out literally seconds after posting this haha. Now I'm trying to ,find my way into the bitch rear end observatory. I can't seem to find the right "path". Might need to watch a video because your boy is lost.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

GenderSelectScreen posted:

So... (glitch on Dark Bramble)is the anglerfish supposed to crash my game when it eats me?

Nope.

GenderSelectScreen posted:

Also related to Dark Bramble, how do avoid said fish monsters? The hint saying it's blind didn't make much sense.

They get alerted by the sound of your thrusters. If there's an anglerfish nearby; just drift by until you're a safe distance past it (unless you're gonna crash into a branch - crashing also alerts the fish, so course correct as gently as you can). As far as I can tell, once an anglerfish is aggroed, you are effectively already dead unless you're like 5 feet from the exit.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

dmboogie posted:

Nope.

They get alerted by the sound of your thrusters. If there's an anglerfish nearby; just drift by until you're a safe distance past it (unless you're gonna crash into a branch - crashing also alerts the fish, so course correct as gently as you can). As far as I can tell, once an anglerfish is aggroed, you are effectively already dead unless you're like 5 feet from the exit.

If you're not that close and they hear you, they go towards where they heard you. When they reach the spot where you made a sound they stop. So it's easy to avoid them if you allow some distance and do side slips and not panic and try to full speed straight run away.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Ziji posted:

I felt so dumb when I figured it out literally seconds after posting this haha. Now I'm trying to ,find my way into the bitch rear end observatory. I can't seem to find the right "path". Might need to watch a video because your boy is lost.

Head towards the gravity cannon, it's easy to get to from the surface and there is a path to the observatory from there. Be aware all the gravity tunnels things are miss aligned so you're gonna have to use your jetpack to shift yourself around.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

dmboogie posted:

Nope.

I think there's also an element of thruster power to it. If you go full tilt on the thruster they'll hear you from all the way across the zone. I started just abandoning my ship entirely because jetpack thrusters are less powerful and make less 'noise'

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3
I really love how terrible this game is to talk about. Once you figure something out, you don't want to tell anyone, so you can see them figure it out on their own. Easily a GOTY contender for me.

Having said that, when you open the emergency hatch, don't jump, just drift and when you find the twin towers, timing is key, there's always a safe spot in the eye of a hurricane

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

My first journey was the moon so I was like, oh cool, baby steps, little bits of info here and there. Then the very next one was that hollow planet with the black hole inside and I felt like I skipped a few steps because what the gently caress is going on here.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Can someone help me fig out how to make the shuttles go where they are supposed to? I summon them, get in them, move the ball until i start moving and then float aimlessly forever in the middle of no where or crash into the wrong planet.
Am i missing a step?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is there any way to get into (Brittle Hollow Spoilers) the Hanging City, specifically the top level, without some shenanigans in other planets/places? I can get to the "elevator" via the shortcut to the surface pretty fast, so I don't think it's a matter of getting there faster.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 4, 2019

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Can someone help me fig out how to make the shuttles go where they are supposed to? I summon them, get in them, move the ball until i start moving and then float aimlessly forever in the middle of no where or crash into the wrong planet.
Am i missing a step?

You can Move the ball to the upper right to activate the shuttle's gravity beam, which actually lets you land.

For what it's worth, I don't think you need the shuttles for anything; they don't bring you anywhere your ship can't take you. Once you've translated the logs that're on board, you should be good.

Fat Samurai posted:

Is there any way to get into (Brittle Hollow Spoilers) the Hanging City, specifically the top level, without some shenanigans in other planets/places? I can get to the "elevator" via the shortcut to the surface pretty fast, so I don't think it's a matter of getting there faster.

Your first question: No. Once you've raised the "elevator", you can't do anything else from Brittle Hollow.

Hint: Your next stop should be the Ash Twin. Have you discovered its purpose, yet?

Solution, which may spoil more for you than just this puzzle: One of the Ash Twin's teleporter towers will take you to the top of the Hanging City.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Real hurthling! posted:

Am i missing a step?

I don't think they "go" anywhere, they just deliver you journals and show you that it is possible to get into certain places. You can fire yourself off, but good luck hitting anything.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dmboogie posted:

You can Move the ball to the upper right to activate the shuttle's gravity beam, which actually lets you land.

For what it's worth, I don't think you need the shuttles for anything; they don't bring you anywhere your ship can't take you. Once you've translated the logs that're on board, you should be good.

Your first question: No. Once you've raised the "elevator", you can't do anything else from Brittle Hollow.

Hint: Your next stop should be the Ash Twin. Have you discovered its purpose, yet?

Solution, which may spoil more for you than just this puzzle: One of the Ash Twin's teleporter towers will take you to the top of the Hanging City.

oh that didnt seem to do anything? So launch with left position...then shift to right position...win??

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

dmboogie posted:

Thank you for this - I've been bashing my head off that crumbling rock for a while now trying to find a way through the ruins. Will explore elsewhere and see if things open up a bit.

Regarding the QOL hint in the OP you do need to talk to Gabbro in two separate loops, and talking to him in the second one will immediately end that loop. Fortunately he's easy to get to once you know where he is.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

dmboogie posted:

Thanks, I had just discovered this (pro tip: Ask the already established explorers what you should be doing. It's kinda obvious in retrospect.), but didn't connect the dots.

Now to find how to make those work.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
As someone who beat the game, did anyone else hate the ash and ember twins as much as I did?

jones jabones
Apr 27, 2016
Can I get a vague hint on how to get inside the core on Ash Twin?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

jones jabones posted:

Can I get a vague hint on how to get inside the core on Ash Twin?

They completely sealed it off to any access from the outside or by foot. The only way in is through a warp

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Just for the sake of being completionist I investigated alternative methods of getting a plot essential item: In the Hanging City they suggested two methods for getting the Vessel working again - Repairing the current warp core and manufacturing a new one. I tried taking the broken Warp Core from the Vessel to the Black Hole Forge. It couldn't be plugged in anywhere and in any case, seems to be a junk item that can't be picked up again once you put it down. I also tried taking core pieces from the High Energy lab on Ember Twin but again they couldn't be plugged in anywhere despite looking much more compatible.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Jarvisi posted:

As someone who beat the game, did anyone else hate the ash and ember twins as much as I did?

I liked the flavor of the planets well enough, and the Ember Twin was perfectly fine imo, it's just... having to wait for the Ash Twin to open up made me desperately wish for a "fast forward X minutes" button

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Real hurthling! posted:

Am i missing a step?

I assume you're trying to get to the Quantum Moon? You don't actually need the shuttles for that. You can take advantage of the fact that the Quantum Moon stays put while observed in order to land on it.

If only you had something with a camera.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No the comet. The shuttle just launches and drifts

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
you can also land on that with your ship, however it is an awful place

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
This would be my GotY if the anglers were every so slightly less aggro. siiiiigh.

The hardest part of this game is deciding what I want to do in each particular run. I had to take a break because I literally could not decide between (mid-late? game spoilers)

Figuring out what's in the deepest part of the comet since i died stupidly in a room shaped like a toilet bowl or doing a Fedex quest from Ash to Bramble

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 5, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Trying to beat the game now. the sheer amount of waiting in this game has me about loving done with it tho. Really not having a ball anymore.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Trying to beat the game now. the sheer amount of waiting in this game has me about loving done with it tho. Really not having a ball anymore.

This is sort of where I am now, although I've put it aside to avoid getting angry while trying to rush to beat it. I'm too one track on objectives to split stuff up so I keep hitting these stupid time annoyances. What finally tipped me over the scale is the reset happened while I was reading the wall in the construction yard, so then I had to fly back there, get to the yard, wait for the right event, and then hop over just to get the extra text.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I think I'm stuck. I'm not going to ask because I don't want to get spoiled, but I feel really stupid.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
They could fix a lot if they added a way to fast-forward time imo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

They could fix a lot if they added a way to fast-forward time imo

Yeah

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

yeah; I ain't saying it'd be trivial to implement or anything but the game desperately needs a fast forward button. it's my biggest real complaint

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know if I hit a bug but I went chasing after interloper which got "stuck" near the glowing white thing and when I tried to land on one of those gravity reversing blue crystals I got launched off and began spinning endlessly no matter how hard I tried to correct myself. Oh well.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Fast forward, an in-game timer, and a way to place custom markers would be really great.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ending thoughts: kinda lame metaphysical wandering/restoring the cosmic symphony to credits

Not great. Not really a payoff imo.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Ending thoughts: kinda lame metaphysical wandering/restoring the cosmic symphony to credits

Not great. Not really a payoff imo.

did you solve the quantum moon?

for me the true payoff was roasting marshmallows for one last time while all your buddies played their instruments. i honestly teared up a bit

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

dmboogie posted:

did you solve the quantum moon?

Speaking of the quantum moon, I'm not sure if I've 'solved' it or not. A yes or no would be good just to see whether I can move on to something else.

So I got to the sixth location and met the dude there, 'talked' with him with his language stones and then couldn't find anything else to do other that jump up into the vortex thing. That then dumped me back onto the timber hearth quantum moon and that's where I got to. Couldn't figure out what there was left to do or if I missed something.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Aphex- posted:

Speaking of the quantum moon, I'm not sure if I've 'solved' it or not. A yes or no would be good just to see whether I can move on to something else.

So I got to the sixth location and met the dude there, 'talked' with him with his language stones and then couldn't find anything else to do other that jump up into the vortex thing. That then dumped me back onto the timber hearth quantum moon and that's where I got to. Couldn't figure out what there was left to do or if I missed something.

As far as I can tell, meeting the lady there is the "end" of the Quantum Moon. It disappointed me that there wasn't a language stone for "goodbye". :smith:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Dark Bramble spoilers

I found the Nomai grave and used my scout to figure out where the Vessel is, but as soon as I go through the red light there's anglerfish RIGHT THERE and even hitting my thrusters gently to avoid them triggered them. Do I just need to get better at silently drifting past or is there some other trick I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Dark Bramble spoilers

I found the Nomai grave and used my scout to figure out where the Vessel is, but as soon as I go through the red light there's anglerfish RIGHT THERE and even hitting my thrusters gently to avoid them triggered them. Do I just need to get better at silently drifting past or is there some other trick I'm missing?

I solved it by just drifting without touching the controls for an agonizingly long time. I'm not sure if accelerating faster into the red light makes you drift faster on the other side or not; but you'll get to a safe range eventually. There might be a more elegant solution but I was too scared to experiment lmao