Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Catfishenfuego posted:

Just watched Revenge and it's going on my list of 'Films I really enjoyed but probably wouldn't ever recommend someone else watch unless I really knew their taste'. Beautifully shot and the climax being Totally nude guy with his dick out getting chased comically around in circles, before getting defeated mid-misogynist rant by the heroine fisting his yonic shotgun wound through his prophylactic bandage was so on the nose that I loved it.

My expectations for Revenge were very low because the subject matter is so well worn, but it loving owned. It's really entertaining and stylish as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
In other Exorcist related news, I'm reading through Legion right now and it rules. I wanted more William Peter Blatty after loving Exorcist III, and by god did I ever get it.

I appreciated that the carp scene was translated verbatim from the book, because of course it was..

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I always wished he directed like one or two more movies because hoooooooly poo poo Ninth Configuration and Exorcist III are both amazing.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

New Scary Stories trailer dropped, and it continues to suggest that the movie is gonna be the loving tits. I'm a big fan of how it seems to be weaving together the tone of a teen romp flick with actual, legit serious horror. GDT is a beautiful human being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlya92LZqZw

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tart Kitty posted:

New Scary Stories trailer dropped, and it continues to suggest that the movie is gonna be the loving tits. I'm a big fan of how it seems to be weaving together the tone of a teen romp flick with actual, legit serious horror. GDT is a beautiful human being.

I really hope this does well and we get sequels because this looks fuckin' fantastic.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Stephen Gammell should at least get a creature design credit, because those are straight up from his illustrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Exorcist update: It's good you guys, it's good!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

In other Exorcist related news, I'm reading through Legion right now and it rules. I wanted more William Peter Blatty after loving Exorcist III, and by god did I ever get it.

I appreciated that the carp scene was translated verbatim from the book, because of course it was..

ive never seen the Exorcist III tbh but Legion is one of my favorite books! I think its better than the Exorcist book. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Kvlt! posted:

ive never seen the Exorcist III tbh but Legion is one of my favorite books! I think its better than the Exorcist book. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Bruhhhhh watch Exorcist III

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Just watched The Witch and thought it was pretty good. Similar vein to Hereditary with the steadily building sense of dread instead of typical scares, although I felt like the end wasn't as satisfying (What happened to the twins? Why wasn't the hag present in the final scene?)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

The movie is like GOAT level for me, one of my favorite movies ever. Also one of those movies where it was derided a bit when it came out but it's also like the ur-90s serial killer movie and you can tell it was influential in its own low key way on a lot of stuff that followed throughout the decade. Incredibly creepy at times too which is really impressive given what a mostly daytime slow burn it is.

My wife had never seen it so we went to a screening of it a few weeks ago and it was great because a lot of people in the theater had never seen it before and folks were hooked. Like the movie just completely worked people over and had folks laughing when it was meant to be funny and on the edge of their seat otherwise, every jump scare got a shock out of people, it was so awesome. The best part though was that the print they found was a BBFC screener and had a that incredible there's no way in hell any movie could live up to this trailer for Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 in front of it. :hellyeah:

I'm sure Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 is fun and all but seriously, how can any movie possibly earn this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7n9IKerag

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 4, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgxhZkeJGW8

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm sure Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 is fun and all but seriously, how can any movie possibly earn this trailer:

I was TCM 3 was a tenth as fun as this trailer is.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Tart Kitty posted:

Origami Dali posted:

Stephen Gammell should at least get a creature design credit, because those are straight up from his illustrations.

I am losing my loving mind over this trailer. Del Toro is easily my favorite creator in the industry and you can already tell how much love and care went into the adaptation of the creatures.

I'm so excited.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Neo Rasa posted:

It is really, really not fun. Like, so bad that it turned me off of watching any of the other Texas Chainsaw Massacres.

I heard somewhere that the trailer was actually shot before the script was written and I wish that anything on that level made it into the film.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's good someone relegated this scene to Youtube because no one should watch this whole movie ever. it's like 2 straight hours of rape.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Can conceed. TCM 3 is a really boring, poorly shot, overly dark movie that makes it really hard to tell what's going on. There's nothing special or interesting, just a bog standard 'Bad folk threatenin' Good-ish Folk right up in them there hills' type film. There's one cool dude, a survivalist, and that is literally the only specific thing I can remember about the film.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Seems hard to make a TCM movie starring Ken Foree and Viggo Mortensen boring and forgettable, but they sure as hell did it. Then they did it again with McConaughey and Zellwegger in the next one.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Never seen any of the Exorcist sequels. Can I skip 2 and go straight to 3 or is there direct continuity?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There's no relation to 2 at all. Skip it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Origami Dali posted:

There's no relation to 2 at all. Skip it.

Hell yeah! Thanks for the quick response.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Anyone read the Midsommar script that’s been out there for a while now? I just read it yesterday and wanted to share thoughts.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I just finished the chapter in Legion which is just a letter from Amfortas to Father Dyer about how Amfortas has been experimenting with EVP and the results he's been getting. And it's impressive how spooky it is despite the fact that that stuff doesn't really get to me in real-life at all.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

TCM3 is the one with Leatherface trying to use a Speak N Spell, right? That scene was fun, the rest of it was not.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Thanks for talking me out of watching TCM3. That trailer is mesmerizing

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Watched Savageland and it's pretty fun. I think I like this format; are there any other horror films in the form of people trying to piece together what happened, while never actually coming across the horrors themselves? No straight-up found footage please, unless it's particularly clever.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Argue posted:

Watched Savageland and it's pretty fun. I think I like this format; are there any other horror films in the form of people trying to piece together what happened, while never actually coming across the horrors themselves? No straight-up found footage please, unless it's particularly clever.

Butterfly Kisses is like that. Found footage but it’s like a documentary about a guy trying to make a film about some creepy footage he found. More about the character than the horror part.

e: don’t want to spoil it but the creepy/supernatural stuff doesn’t happen to the documentary crew, they sort of observe it third-hand

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 4, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

Thanks for talking me out of watching TCM3. That trailer is mesmerizing

It's one of the most forgettable films I've seen. I've watched it twice within two days because I couldn't remember if I even finished it the first time.

TCM4 is even worse, though. People will try and tell you that it's batshit inanity makes it fun, but I have never felt that way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
tcm4 is The New Generation, right?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

TCM4 is even worse, though. People will try and tell you that it's batshit inanity makes it fun, but I have never felt that way.

Yeah, it's very bad. My friend and I rented the VHS back in the day, we rented a lot of schlock horror movies, so we were used to "bad" movies, but this one had nothing redeemable about it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

tcm4 is The New Generation, right?

Yes.

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, it's very bad. My friend and I rented the VHS back in the day, we rented a lot of schlock horror movies, so we were used to "bad" movies, but this one had nothing redeemable about it.

Yes.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Argue posted:

I really, really like that movie. It's cool, because it's like two movies in one since you can kinda piece together/imagine the monster movie that leads to all this poo poo. and really, there would be a lot of hard questions for the survivors of any contained outbreak event, when you consider it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

nothing redeemable about it.

Matthew McConaughey.

He really needed a better TCM to star in because he was perfect.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Argue posted:

Lake Mungo is sort of like this (it's a documentary about a family being haunted by the ghost of their daughter and trying to piece together her experiences before her death). I wouldn't really call it a horror movie though, it's more sad than frightening.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The only thing that ever stood out to me about TCM4 was how much work McConnaghey’s hillbilly cyborg leg seemed to require. Vacuum cleaner hoses, multiple remote controls...it’s like my man just use a crutch.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

tcm4, in addition to everything else, is also really badly shot. A lot of it take a place in the woods at night and there are sequences that are borderline incoherent due to the poor lighting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TCM3 was planned to push the boundaries of violence and gore in horror movies, trying to be as shocking as the original was but in a different way, but the MPAA was doing a hard swing against that sort of thing at the time, and they ended up having to reshoot and cut almost every gore setpiece they had to avoid an X rating.

That doesn't excuse how boring the final product is from a directorial and story standpoint, but boy howdy would a man being split from head to toe on screen have helped that movie stick in people's minds.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

TCM3 was planned to push the boundaries of violence and gore in horror movies, trying to be as shocking as the original was but in a different way, but the MPAA was doing a hard swing against that sort of thing at the time, and they ended up having to reshoot and cut almost every gore setpiece they had to avoid an X rating.

That doesn't excuse how boring the final product is from a directorial and story standpoint, but boy howdy would a man being split from head to toe on screen have helped that movie stick in people's minds.

What’s the deal with the censorship climate in the 80s and early 90s, was it really just Tipper Gore and Reagan? It also coincides with the Video Nasty era in the UK.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Lurdiak posted:

I remember the unrated TCM3 being pretty decent with the R rated one being okayish. TCM:TNG just left me with a 'what the hell did I just sit through' feeling, especially with the ending.

edit to add:

Drunkboxer posted:

What’s the deal with the censorship climate in the 80s and early 90s, was it really just Tipper Gore and Reagan? It also coincides with the Video Nasty era in the UK.

I've always figured it as a sort of perfect storm cultural touchpoint. At the same time there was the Satanic Panic and I remember a rising concern about latchkey kids being more common so there was a big fear buildup of what could be going on with kids away from parental scrutiny. Toss in a healthy dose of parental guilt at not feeling they're providing an idyllic homelife and there you go. It's easier to demand censorship rather than take that time to have a serious sit down talk with your kids. It really wouldn't surprise me if the fears over gory horror and 'questionable' music ended up swinging the societal pendulum towards helicopter parenting which is its own mess.

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

I remember the unrated TCM3 being pretty decent with the R rated one being okayish. TCM:TNG just left me with a 'what the hell did I just sit through' feeling, especially with the ending.

where can i find the unrated one