Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to 'Wheel-gate' where the $500 wheels somehow interfere with the wireless signal and Apple tells users they're rolling it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

track day bro! posted:

I was gonna ask about that seeing as now my 5,1 is on the shitlist. I don't think I can get my boss to buy me a 6 grand base model mac pro, let alone the monitor stand haha.

Saying that Catalina isn't gonna be massively different from Mojave anyway?

there's some fuckery with a separate system partition which i would have assumed might have made things a little more difficult, but I guess not! awesome

i will probably replace this old horse with a mini at some point but this is good

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Krispy Wafer posted:

Looking forward to 'Wheel-gate' where the $500 wheels somehow interfere with the wireless signal and all the tech blogs report in clickbait paraphrased headlines that Apple tells users they're rolling it wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You mean one guy living in an apartment in NYC has wifi issues because there's 69 AP's in range and bloggers desperate for clicks invent a story about needing the wheels to position the case next to the router to get a signal.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Apple just did the impossible and annoyed all the right people

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That guy has a really annoying writing style.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

American McGay posted:

That guy has a really annoying writing style.

So do a lot of people on these dead gay forums.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Hey, so I want to use Boot Camp to get Windows running off an external drive (leave my li'l SSD alone!), and I found some recent instructions to get it going here: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/2018-macbook-pro-13in-boot-camp-windows-on-external-ssd/

Before I take a huge dump all over my computer, I just wanted to check in here to see if anyone has done this, and if you have any advice. Like, "It's a huge headache, don't bother," or "Check these gnarly tips'n'tricks, brah."

edit: maybe this should have gone in the software thread. I wasn't sure where it was more appropriate. I have a 2018 15" Macbook Pro in case it matters.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 4, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Woah everything about that article is terrible.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
He's right in the fact that the most impressive things announced in the keynote were the little behind the scenes features that improve user privacy but he has the worst way of getting to the point.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

American McGay posted:

He's right in the fact that the most impressive things announced in the keynote were the little behind the scenes features that improve user privacy but he has the worst way of getting to the point.

He’s wrong because voice control alone is also an amazing feature.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Apple is saying that the new mac TV app will only allow 4k playback on newer MacBooks. Is there any technical reason for this? I thought they have not changed the resolution on them for a long time.

eames
May 9, 2009

It likely relies on hardware h.265/HEVC decoding that CPU and GPU architectures don't support.
Falling back to software decoding on older Macbooks would be possible but unpleasant (high CPU load, high temperatures, low battery

DRM/copyright protection might also play into this, such as older machines not supporting the newest HDCP standards.

eames fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 4, 2019

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

badjohny posted:

Apple is saying that the new mac TV app will only allow 4k playback on newer MacBooks. Is there any technical reason for this? I thought they have not changed the resolution on them for a long time.

Probably DRM. For example, Netflix only allows 4K playback on Windows if you use Edge with a GPU that implements HDCP 2.2. Only very recent graphics cards (Kaby Lake and newer for Intel, Pascal and newer for Nvidia, and Polaris and newer for AMD) support HDCP 2.2.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm going to buy one of these mac pros in 10 years when studios in town start e-wasting them.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Speaking of e-waste, TrashCan Pros appear to have effectively vanished from the online Apple Store; the only place they can be found is in Refurbished and Clearance.

Can't imagine anyone with the money to get one of those not wanting to stick the cash in a CD until it's enough to get the CheeseGrater II.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I guess the trashcan factory got shut down a while ago then?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've been wondering for a while if they've been having fabs produce old-rear end chips just for the trashcans or if they've just been sitting on stock (to whatever extent theyve actually be moving) for years.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Most likely the latter; in the past, when a product no longer sells in enough quantities to make a profit, Apple will stop its manufacture.

What's also interesting to note is that while the Trashcan parts were largely imported, Trashcan Pros were assembled in the US.. gotta look again but pretty sure every TrashCan has an 'Assembled in California' somewhere near its copyright marks.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone know how Apple is going to do the whole HDR/10bit thing with its new monitor? Are they going to make desktop rendering natively 10bit and let developers choose which pixels are going to be LDR 8bit and which will be 10bit? That would be a first, I don't think any OSs do that and the apps that do have to do some GPU hackery to get 10bit to a display in a windowed environment.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
^^^^^^^ they've been shipping 10-bit per channel HDR displays in iMacs for a while, whatever they're doing isn't fundamentally new for the mega expensive display.

Not sure why you think it would be extraordinary or new or weird tech for them to allow mixing of 8bpc and 10bpc content on the same display, they laid the foundations for this all the way back in 10.0.0. Apps rasterize window contents into offscreen buffers, then the WindowServer composites those offscreen buffers into the onscreen buffer. Compositing has been GPU accelerated since... 10.2 or 10.3 I think? All they had to do is make the compositor capable of mapping 8bpc pixels into the 10bpc color space, and GPUs are good at that kind of thing, so it should not tax the system at all.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Am I the only one who wishes they'd also revise the trashcan Pro to make it what we really want, a super mini? Single socket desktop i7/i9 since you can get 8 cores in those now and IDGAF about more, MXM video card, upgrade the IO to thunderbolt 3 (does not need to have more than four TB3 ports, the rest could be some USB3.1 type A), and, most important of all, let us have a couple internal M.2 sockets and 2.5" SATA bays. It would be pretty easy to de-cost the hell out of the thing and they could get some more use out of the machinery they built to make the trashcan enclosure. I would buy one in a heartbeat, assuming they did the right thing and sold them at a reasonable price.

The new Mac Pro is a true pro workstation, but they forgot about everyone who just wanted a reasonably expandable Mac with a reasonably beefy CPU and reasonable internal RAM and storage expansion for a reasonable base price.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

BobHoward posted:

The new Mac Pro is a true pro workstation, but they forgot about everyone who just wanted a reasonably expandable Mac with a reasonably beefy CPU and reasonable internal RAM and storage expansion for a reasonable base price.

That’s not a market Apple cares about. I’ve owned a Mac since I bought my SE30 and that’s never - not even during the bad old licensing days - been their thing. They don’t really want users plugging poo poo in and potentially loving things up. They never have. It’s certainly worse now that we’ve lost basic upgrade capabilities for sure, but they didn’t ‘forget’ anyone, it’s intentional.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BobHoward posted:

^^^^^^^ they've been shipping 10-bit per channel HDR displays in iMacs for a while, whatever they're doing isn't fundamentally new for the mega expensive display.

Not sure why you think it would be extraordinary or new or weird tech for them to allow mixing of 8bpc and 10bpc content on the same display, they laid the foundations for this all the way back in 10.0.0. Apps rasterize window contents into offscreen buffers, then the WindowServer composites those offscreen buffers into the onscreen buffer. Compositing has been GPU accelerated since... 10.2 or 10.3 I think? All they had to do is make the compositor capable of mapping 8bpc pixels into the 10bpc color space, and GPUs are good at that kind of thing, so it should not tax the system at all.

Except 10bit displays and 10bit electrical protocols haven’t been a thing until recently. Not counting dedicated broadcast and medical displays which were usually not running a windowed desktop environment. Pretty sure Linux and windows don’t support it either. Anyway it’s cool.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

squirrelzipper posted:

That’s not a market Apple cares about. I’ve owned a Mac since I bought my SE30 and that’s never - not even during the bad old licensing days - been their thing. They don’t really want users plugging poo poo in and potentially loving things up. They never have. It’s certainly worse now that we’ve lost basic upgrade capabilities for sure, but they didn’t ‘forget’ anyone, it’s intentional.

Lol wut? How do you explain the PPC towers and OG cheese graters?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Wheels are $499

Mods, new thread title ^

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BobHoward posted:

Am I the only one who wishes they'd also revise the trashcan Pro to make it what we really want, a super mini? Single socket desktop i7/i9 since you can get 8 cores in those now and IDGAF about more, MXM video card, upgrade the IO to thunderbolt 3 (does not need to have more than four TB3 ports, the rest could be some USB3.1 type A), and, most important of all, let us have a couple internal M.2 sockets and 2.5" SATA bays. It would be pretty easy to de-cost the hell out of the thing and they could get some more use out of the machinery they built to make the trashcan enclosure. I would buy one in a heartbeat, assuming they did the right thing and sold them at a reasonable price.

Yeah, I always through the trashcan Pro would make / have made a great new take on the Power Mac G4 Cube.
Cool, small, silent, with more power than the home-tier Macs.

iMac Pro exists now, but it seems to wasteful to throw out a huge nice screen every few years.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
asinine product idea: a kit to mount a Mac mini logic board in an ATX case, with a TB3–>PCIe breakout board.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

squirrelzipper posted:

I also have a lol wut reaction to this

What I was thinking of when writing my post is that in 2006 I bought an O.G. Mac Pro 1,1. Base config was $2000 for 2x 2.00 GHz dual core Xeon CPUs, although almost everyone upgraded to 2x 2.66 GHz for $2500. Expansion was four PCIe slots (one occupied by a video card), four 3.5" SATA HDD bays (one occupied), two 5.25" ODD bays (one occupied), and eight DIMM sockets (two occupied).

It was actually cheaper than buying the equivalent Dell or HP workstation, iirc. The base config was well within reach for prosumers, and it was super easy to upgrade storage and RAM.

That's who Apple has forgotten about. Like, it's clear, if you're editing 8K video or whatever? You loving want the new Mac Pro and the pricing is probably quite reasonable. But the base config is $6K, and it's not a terribly high value config. Nobody other than people who need to option it up to $10K or more will buy it at all.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

10k for a core part of your business seems pretty reasonable. Professional photographers don't blink at spending $10k on a new body and set of lenses. Good woodworking equipment can easily run $2500 for a single machine, etc.

Plus, you can write down the cost of the Workstation on your taxes every year either as a company or an improvement independent contractor

Given how badly compute has stagnated over the last decade your next workstation ought to last you through the end of it's depreciation curve

Even with the worst business credit card you ought to be able to buy two Mac pros

Lenovo sells a Xeon powered laptop that starts at $3000... Dell and HP sell high end commercial workstations that start in the $5000 range with similar specs. Back in the day you had Next and Sun selling Workstations that had a gigabyte of memory for $12,000+ to start... This is nothing new. Go enjoy your consumer class Mac mini

eames
May 9, 2009

Ah yes, the decade-old "xMac" discussion is back! I fully agree that they didn't forget anybody, it is a simple product segmentation choice.

They want "normal" users to buy new iPads Pros every two years, not upgradeable desktop Macs where people purchase the cheapest base model from them and upgrade it with bestbuy parts for the next six years plus, running software that wasn't bought through their App store.

Their whole product lineup reflects that. That's why the naked Mac Pro without a screen is $6k, the better equipped iMac Pro is $5k and the iPad Pro, a device which will soon have enough computing and graphics power for 99% of the population, is $200 less than the stand for their Mac Pro monitor.

In fact I'm surprised the updated mac mini exists as it is. It may be expensive compared to a NUC but that doesn't support macOS so the discussion is pointless.

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol wut? How do you explain the PPC towers and OG cheese graters?

neither iOS nor the App Store existed back then.

Lazyhound posted:

asinine product idea: a kit to mount a Mac mini logic board in an ATX case, with a TB3–>PCIe breakout board.

the idea of doing this with an old 3,1 Mac Pro case crossed my mind more than once!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

eames posted:

Ah yes, the decade-old "xMac" discussion is back! I fully agree that they didn't forget anybody, it is a simple product segmentation choice.

They want "normal" users to buy new iPads Pros every two years, not upgradeable desktop Macs where people purchase the cheapest base model from them and upgrade it with bestbuy parts for the next six years plus, running software that wasn't bought through their App store.

Their whole product lineup reflects that. That's why the naked Mac Pro without a screen is $6k, the better equipped iMac Pro is $5k and the iPad Pro, a device which will soon have enough computing and graphics power for 99% of the population, is $200 less than the stand for their Mac Pro monitor.

yeah this is pretty much on the money. the hobbyist/gamer demographic who upgrade a computer over time is not high margin enough for apple to be in any way interested in it. the reason why the new MP is priced so drat high is partly a 'because we can' thing and partly because they are recouping the lost revenue from customers upgrading it, upfront

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lazyhound posted:

I would love to see a company (or more likely some enterprising Chinese corner store) that took apart iMacs, sold the case and screen as spares to jilted AASPs, and then soldered PCI-e slots onto the mobo and sold those as Hackintoshes.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 5, 2019

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
How do those Infinity Fabric Link Vega II GPUs work with gaming? Will they work differently to traditional multiGPU setups?

eames
May 9, 2009

KingEup posted:

How do those Infinity Fabric Link Vega II GPUs work with gaming? Will they work differently to traditional multiGPU setups?

Nobody knows. :shrug:
The Metal framework theoretically enables easier access to multiGPU but the chance that the entire stack of OS/driver/video game engine actually supports some form of Crossfire/SLI/AFR on macOS for higher framerates on a Mac Pro is near zero.
Bootcamp would probably have a better chance at getting it to work but if you're buying a new Mac Pro to run Windows on it for video gaming then you I don't know what to tell you.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

I would love to see a company (or more likely some enterprising Chinese corner store) that took apart iMacs, sold the case and screen as spares to jilted AASPs, and then soldered PCI-e slots onto the mobo and sold those as Hackintoshes.

I’m pretty sure companies have tried that and been sued into oblivion. I think there was one that managed to put OS X on PC’s, but I can’t recall if they ever got a single unit out the door before Apple jumped all over them.

I’m okay with the current set up. The Mac Pro is for peacocking Youtubers, dedicated professionals, and corporate expense accounts. Apple doesn’t care about volume selling. When they release the benchmarks it’ll probably be the fastest desktop around ($35k model only) and they’ll use that as bragging rights to make the rest of their lineup look better.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

squirrelzipper posted:

That’s not a market Apple cares about. I’ve owned a Mac since I bought my SE30 and that’s never - not even during the bad old licensing days - been their thing.

Steve Jobs didn't care for expansion back in the day (and with iDevices) but as soon as he was kicked out big expandable devices appeared. The Mac II, the Quadra, all sorts of systems with big cases and expansion. Even after his return Apple kept building them.

Much of what kept Apple afloat in the dark days were those big machines since nobody else was buying Macs.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

phongn posted:

Steve Jobs didn't care for expansion back in the day (and with iDevices) but as soon as he was kicked out big expandable devices appeared. The Mac II, the Quadra, all sorts of systems with big cases and expansion. Even after his return Apple kept building them.

Much of what kept Apple afloat in the dark days were those big machines since nobody else was buying Macs.

Counterpoint: Apple IIe

Counter-counterpoint: Apple //c

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I do think it is hilarious that the first product apple has made in years that people actually want badly, costs way too much to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BobHoward posted:

There’s this computer called the Mac Mini. You can currently get it with a 6-core i7 that until this last revision was better than what shipped in the 27” iMac and there’s little reason to believe there won’t be an 8-core Mini option come the fall. You can add any AMD GPU you want as long as you use an external housing.

It doesn’t tick the boxes the way a lot of us would like but it does tick the boxes.