Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Coolness Averted posted:

cant wait for post apocalyptic ladder matches

It would be really awesome if you could extend it and wave it around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Improvised weapons, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR6PNcML5rE

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I thought that was implied from pretty early on, with Sam sitting in the middle of a void out stark naked. Together with the rain that speeds up time, I just assumed that it's a protection against that sort of thing so that they don't have to get another agent to do the work if one gets popped.

Gameplay wise it'll probably just be an excuse for why you can get killed but not have the game just end there and then.

I think that's a misdirection. I believe that BB is for Crossing over to the other side to the hellwar dimension. Hench the name Bridge Baby.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

Donovan Trip posted:

I meant janky as in the animation had weird hiccups when he was punching dudes

That's actually an animation trick used in video games with more "realistic" movements. It provides a way for the input of the player to feel like it's connecting to the action happening on screen. The Last of Us used this method in its melee combat. Not every game utilizes it of course.

EDIT: iirc, it's a kind of frame skipping or frame halting?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Chello De Don posted:

That's actually an animation trick used in video games with more "realistic" movements. It provides a way for the input of the player to feel like it's connecting to the action happening on screen. The Last of Us used this method in its melee combat. Not every game utilizes it of course.

The newer Zelda games do this too, when your attack lands the animation briefly slows or pauses to make it feel meaty. I remember the effect being especially pronounced in Wind Waker.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
yeah that makes sense

this is gonna be a long 5 months

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

acksplode posted:

The newer Zelda games do this too, when your attack lands the animation briefly slows or pauses to make it feel meaty. I remember the effect being especially pronounced in Wind Waker.

right, especially when you swing a huge two handed weapon it's really noticeable. I really like the effect, works well.

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.

Chello De Don posted:

In fighting games we refer to that as hitstop. Every developer has their own take on how much to use and it can drastically change how a game feels to play and watch.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chello De Don posted:

It’s called “hit stop” when action pauses for a frame or two when an attack lands. First I remember it was Final Fight, which then carried over into Street Fighter 2 and was a big part of its unexplainable magic at the time

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
poo poo, I think you guys just explained why the combat in Souls games isn't very satisfying to me. There's no hitstop, is there?

Anyway anyone interested in Death Stranding's wacky rear end world should read The Gone World by Tom Sweterlistch. It's like True Detective mixed with Interstellar. It's a time traveling true crime apocalyptic scenario that gave me mega DS vibes.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Greenlit posted:

In fighting games we refer to that as hitstop. Every developer has their own take on how much to use and it can drastically change how a game feels to play and watch.

That link is extremely pro click if you want to know how much detail goes into Smash Bros

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

Steve Yun posted:

It’s called “hit stop” when action pauses for a frame or two when an attack lands. First I remember it was Final Fight, which then carried over into Street Fighter 2 and was a big part of its unexplainable magic at the time

that's super cool! never knew it had a specific name / fighting game origin.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Are there any threads specifically for taking apart all the mechanics / graphical stuff that is going on in these games? I have zero technical background in anything even remotely related to it, but I find it super fascinating and the people who break it down are usually really passionate / knowledgeable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll admit that the whole luggage melee combat looks less than stellar but in the grand scheme of things I feel like it has zero effect on my hype level.

Kojima has made a lot of games I've had very mixed opinions on. Some of them negative, but he has never made a game that I haven't enjoyed a lot and or not found memorable. The less I know the better. I kind of hope we don't know a whole lot more about the game when it comes out tbh. It looks weird and I want to be surprised. I wish I had the willpower to put myself on an info blackout but lol that's never gonna happen.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Snake, try to remember some of the basics of UPS

bonickhausen
Jun 3, 2019
judging by the last trailer, it seems to me that death stranding is an "evolution" of the phantom pain

like, the core gameplay mechanics seem somewhat similar. the game, as seen in that video, feels similar.

Thats a good thing in my book: I really liked mgsv's gameplay!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
the baby.... is big boss :wth:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

bb stands for boss baby

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

Snake, try to remember some of the basics of UPS

Oh hey those are the guys that are going to lose my package on release day. What a coincidence.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Kojima is going to make being the UPS guy cool. Just like he made being a Green Beret cool.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Death Stranding takes place in an alternate timeline where Naked Snake instead joined forces with the Boss to conquer the USA and make her President.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If the babies essentially being a clone/respawn mechanic panned out to be true, it would be cool if every once in a while they grew into a hosed up Norman Reedus with a T-Rex arm or something.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

If the babies essentially being a clone/respawn mechanic panned out to be true, it would be cool if every once in a while they grew into a hosed up Norman Reedus with a T-Rex arm or something.

Norman Reedus Has Contracted Dragonrot

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Norman Reedus Has Contracted Dragonrot

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I want to have a ladder fight with another player, and when they cross Collective Consciousness plays.

THE UNENLIGHTENED MASSES

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A weapon to surpass metal gear

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Are there any threads specifically for taking apart all the mechanics / graphical stuff that is going on in these games? I have zero technical background in anything even remotely related to it, but I find it super fascinating and the people who break it down are usually really passionate / knowledgeable.

https://twitter.com/XCK3D/status/1133772140233146368

Well there's this twitter thread by a guy at Insomniac Games. If you need anything explained from his tweets you can post questions here and we'll give you our laymen's understanding of it

There's also Digital Foundry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RakD29WAlfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooZy5tRactw

I like DF because they point out A LOT of stuff and it makes you appreciate how much work even goes into a bad game.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 4, 2019

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
How much more of the game will be showed at E3 this year? Has there been any news about a possible playable demo there?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
What are the chances that Death Stranding has a fishing minigame.

Because I would love that poo poo. I should replay FFXV just for the fishing.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Captain Hotbutt posted:

How much more of the game will be showed at E3 this year? Has there been any news about a possible playable demo there?

Sony's not having a presence at E3 this year so there will probably be nothing, but who knows!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
If we're not seeing anything at E3, are there any shows coming up that might actually show some extended gameplay stuff?

As someone earlier said, anything that shows us what the general gameplay loop is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Bedshaped posted:

If we're not seeing anything at E3, are there any shows coming up that might actually show some extended gameplay stuff?

As someone earlier said, anything that shows us what the general gameplay loop is.

Tokyo Game Show in September

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bedshaped posted:

Bonk a guy on the head with a Samsonite.
*watch hour long cutscene*

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They're doing a Sam Porter Bridges Figma.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Gripweed posted:

They're doing a Sam Porter Bridges Figma.

Kojima gets one too (background of the 4th pic):

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1115274469096820736

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's too blurry to be sure, but that doesn't look like a Figma. It's not on a Figma stand, and the way the jacket bows out only makes sense if his hands are in his pockets, which you wouldn't do with a posable figure. I think it's a fixed-pose figure. Maybe just a one-off 3D-printed thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

WaltherFeng posted:

What are the chances that Death Stranding has a fishing minigame.

Because I would love that poo poo. I should replay FFXV just for the fishing.

Have we seen any live animals in the trailers? They might all be extinct at this point. Well, there were the dead sea animals in the first trailer so maybe they’re the only ones who survived.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

Have we seen any live animals in the trailers? They might all be extinct at this point. Well, there were the dead sea animals in the first trailer so maybe they’re the only ones who survived.

plenty of birds, no other land mammals

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I remember dragonflies in the E3 2018 trailer, which might have been an asset flip from HZD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

RatHat posted:

If Nier Automatas apocalypse can have fish, Death Stranding can have fish.