Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
apple should consider making cheaper computers. major mistake for their only computer to be so expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Amethyst posted:

loving swiftui is out, a new declarative ui paradigm and you ABSOLUTE LOSERS are talking about the stand

There are no autolayout or “what’s new in cocoa touch” sessions (though the is an appkit one).. SwiftUI is definitely the future. Marzipan/Catalyst is basically already outdated.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

pram posted:

how does this make any sense in your head. obviously nothing on macos depends on cuda since there hasnt been an nvidia mac for almost a decade. if someones buying this then they already use a program that has metal support lol

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/06/pro-app-developers-react-to-the-new-mac-pro-and-pro-display-xdr/

a lot of 3d and motion graphics people have been holding out (way too long) for good gpu rendering on a mac. redshift and octane finally coming to metal is good news but lmao at waiting for that when you don’t know what the implementation and support is going to be like and pay a starting price of $6000 for a config with pos video card

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Boiled Water posted:

usually when buying enterprise workstations you also get support

come to think of it what you’re really buying is the support

better get applecare so you can lug your $6000 mac pro to an appointment timed at apple's convenience at the apple store that's an hour away

it's amazing that people pay apple prices for google's level of support

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

last time they made a big deal about mac pros being made in the us of a. i guess they moved production back to china??

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

nope you definitely dont have an account rep with a corporate account on apple and special attention if you spend 200k on computers with them

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

better get applecare so you can lug your $6000 mac pro to an appointment timed at apple's convenience at the apple store that's an hour away

it's amazing that people pay apple prices for google's level of support

nah

you don't lug your $6000 mac pro to the apple store, you roll it

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i’m excited about the new mac pro, but there always seems to be a gotcha lately, so please inform me of any gotchas that may exist

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

power botton posted:

nope you definitely dont have an account rep with a corporate account on apple and special attention if you spend 200k on computers with them

back when i worked in IT we had dells and apples

a dell support technician came to us within a few hours and fixed the computer on-site

apple shipped us an empty box with cut-away foam and we had to pack and ship the computer to get it repaired

it's possible things have changed since i left IT but since apple has no enterprise support for software (they gave it away to jamf and casper) i'd be really surprised if they have enterprise support for hardware

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

nice
meltdown

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Why doesn't Apple have an optional hovercraft base for the new Mac Pro. They expect my computer to touch the filthy ground while it is being moved?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
people don’t buy $6k machines, companies do. a company that has a use for these kinds of machines has no problem paying that much for it, that is the low end for workstation pricing.

it sucks that there’s no affordable Mac desktop. but this wasn’t supposed to be that.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

the affordable mac desktop is the mac mini oh wait that’s like a 1000 dollars

but still the price of the pro doesn’t really surprise me

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

The new XPS 15 will apparently be numbered “7590” rather than continuing the 95x0-series numbering pattern with 9580?

quote:

According to Dell, the 7590 moniker indicates the following:

7 - Dell's premium lineup
5 - Screen size (3 indicates 13-inch and 5, 15-inch)
90 - Model number
Dell said that it is aligning the numbering scheme with other notebook series such as Inspiron, Vostro, Precision, and Latitude. There won't be a 9xxx SKU henceforth so 7xxx implies a high-end model, a 5xxx implies mid-range, and 3xxx indicates a budget variant.

:dong:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Long Mac is loooooong.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
👽👽👽👽👽
👽👽👽👽👽
👽👽👽👽👽
👽👽👽👽👽
👽👽👽👽👽
👽👽👽👽👽
👽👽👽👽👽
👽👽👽👽👽

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Streacom DA2 (AnandTech review) makes a similar style frame case for PCs, the ever so popular Linus recently did a review. Looks like the new direction for flexibility in builds.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 5, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

no one cares about that dipshit

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you got some fuckin balls brazenly posting linus like that

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i care because i don't understand why hardware manufacturers keep offering themselves to a jerk like him and never to a nice guy like me

i'm going to write an angry forum post about it on intels.net

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Here's the article and not a dumb screenshot

https://www.theonion.com/apple-announces-plans-to-sell-power-mac-g4-for-120-1835216045

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm interested but only if it boots OS8

OS9 breaks compatibility with too many After Dark screensaver modules since they removed support for compressed resources.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol at a meltdown over apple protecting their users from the ad industry and improving their ui coding environment

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Amethyst posted:

oh yeah if only i was funny, like YOU, people would tolerate my posts they way they do hilarious other people who are accepted here like schadenboner and our king, graph. you are all a barrel of laughs and i'm ruining it.

gently caress you, dweeb. This isn't fun for you and it isn't for me either. you're a loser.

lol how did i miss this amethyst meltdown :allears:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it's a good 1

also double meltdown points for it being in the apple thread

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

now that I know why it is I can safely buy a new iMac and build a gaming pc

?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lain Iwakura posted:

default shell in catalina is zsh

what's a zsh

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

qirex posted:

lol at a meltdown over apple protecting their users from the ad industry and improving their ui coding environment

i use apple products because of the former and i am super keen on the latter

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

people don’t buy $6k machines, companies do.

clearly, you don't know apple fan dads.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Amethyst posted:

oh yeah if only i was funny, like YOU, people would tolerate my posts they way they do hilarious other people who are accepted here like schadenboner and our king, graph. you are all a barrel of laughs and i'm ruining it.

gently caress you, dweeb. This isn't fun for you and it isn't for me either. you're a loser.

these posts about computers are also making me mad as hell op. how dare people say these things about computers. theyre ruining my life

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

not much man what's zshing with u?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

qirex posted:

apple protecting their users from the ad industry

yes, surely this particular multinational corporation is on my side unlike every other one

https://thenextweb.com/business/2019/05/27/apples-privacy-reputation-at-risk-with-new-itunes-class-action-lawsuit/

quote:

The plaintiffs allege that a third party can purchase a list of iTunes customers based on different demographic requirements, like a list of unmarried people who have a taste for a particular genre of music.

The data Apple discloses supposedly includes the full names and home addresses of its customers, together with the genres and, in some cases, song titles customers have purchased via the iTunes Store and then stored in their devices.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
im sorry to interrupt this mac pro chat but I just had a stroke of genius

what should apple call the mac mini?

the appleteenie

poty
Jun 21, 2008

have they considered calling it the dellbook pro? just a free idea 4u

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

hey guys this internet explorer browser bundled in sure is swell

poty
Jun 21, 2008

pram posted:

you got some fuckin balls brazenly posting linus like that

yeah and with no trigger warning

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

poty posted:

have they considered calling it the dellbook pro? just a free idea 4u

:birdthunk:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

I’m not a believer that Apple is out to save everyone or whatever. they’re still a profit driven company therefore can’t be trusted, BUT it’s a million times better than google or Facebook owning the SSO process across websites so it’s a step in the right direction.

it looks like with the new Catalina they’re even making it so a stolen computer is completely worthless like they did with iPhone which is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I think the 200 dollar VESA adapter is more insulting than the stand, tbh

thats just a "gently caress you, dumb bitch" to the consumer. there's no other way to frame that