Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i enjoy SSS and FS but do wish they weren't gated by plot progession as they were cause its a weird arc to hit that point then be like, ok, time to go back and spend a lot of time elsewhere

BoW you can do whenever (though with high level bar of entry) and that's what I kind of prefer

maybe it's my own sense of plotting but once i do magran's i feel the game is telling me i need to put aside all this adventuring and get to finishing this and SSS and FS coming after that feel a bit jarring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i completely forgot how much i enjoyed the endless paths until you mentioned it just now. there's already a fuckload of content in PoE2 but man i wish they had carried over something similar because the endless paths may have been one of my favorite elements of PoE1. "optional mega dungeon with awesome loot" is such a cool concept, it should be in every RPG game forever

Isn't Fulvano's Voyage supposed to be this?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Is this the uncharted island's quest?

It's disjointed and spread out all over the map so it's hard to see as one grand optional challenge like Endless Paths. And it's not like Fulvano's ever mentioned there IIRC. Then again, Endless Paths had that loop of discovering shortcuts and returning for supplies that doesn't make much sense in PoE2. It also didn't make much sense in PoE1 cause you could always backtrack unless you jumped into that well.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ilitarist posted:

Is this the uncharted island's quest?

It's disjointed and spread out all over the map so it's hard to see as one grand optional challenge like Endless Paths. And it's not like Fulvano's ever mentioned there IIRC. Then again, Endless Paths had that loop of discovering shortcuts and returning for supplies that doesn't make much sense in PoE2. It also didn't make much sense in PoE1 cause you could always backtrack unless you jumped into that well.

Apparently, yeah. I just looked it up, and while its in the kickstarter material as having been added, they never actually made it about Fulvano :/

also, this

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Fulvano%27s_Voyage
lol

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Berke Negri posted:

i enjoy SSS and FS but do wish they weren't gated by plot progession as they were cause its a weird arc to hit that point then be like, ok, time to go back and spend a lot of time elsewhere

BoW you can do whenever (though with high level bar of entry) and that's what I kind of prefer

maybe it's my own sense of plotting but once i do magran's i feel the game is telling me i need to put aside all this adventuring and get to finishing this and SSS and FS coming after that feel a bit jarring

You can do FS before Magran's Teeth, you just have to have discovered the island and I think completed the mapping quest

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I think it was just a kickstarter gimmick, with how well the areas from “fulvano’s journey” integrate into the game I can’t image them ever being optional.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Berke Negri posted:

Hm I have not actually gotten to that point in the game, but I'm currently doing faction quests before going to Magran's Teeth, and I would say the entire game after Port Maje seems to have this problem. It was not a good idea to make the main antagonist a giant statue walking towards an apocalypse and have 90% of the content be side quests.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

RFC2324 posted:

Isn't Fulvano's Voyage supposed to be this?

i've played PoE2 numerous times and never stumbled into whatever you're talking about. is this some DLC content, or stuff added in a later patch? IIRC the last time i fully cleared the game was around the time BoW came out, and i never found anything called Fulvano's Voyage.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Recently finished Poko Karaha and I'm like level 11ish now on my Kind Wayfarer/Arcane Archer. I've had a number of God challenges enabled. Feedback on those for any considering trying them (I play turnbased):

Galawain: I like this one. It makes encounters with beast enemies tougher via randomly assigned traits. For example, an enemy beast might have prowling which means they start the encounter invisible. Or they might have unstoppable meaning you can't stun/cc them. There's different traits they can get. It's not as hard as it sounds. It's a nice little difficulty bump when fighting beasts without being overwhelming.

Berath's Challenge: I play on turn based and this is fine on that mode. Basically you have to rez your dead party members within two rounds (I think?) or they die permanently. It's usually manageable as long as Xoti isn't the one who got knocked out. Having it there means I need to be conservative with her level 5 and 7 spells so that I make sure to have rezzes available in case people get knocked out. Also makes it worth investing in rez talents on other characters. I will probably take the revive abilities on Tekehu and my Paladin/Ranger in this run because of this challenge.

Abydon's: I can't figure out whether gear decaying is a random chance of happening or whether it takes [x] usage or what. I *think* (but am not sure) that weapons degrade faster if you use them against enemies that you lack penetration against. It gets expensive repairing quality gear so this challenge forces you to have some backup exceptional weapons available to cycle through so you don't break your best stuff. It also means it's worth holding onto other unique weapons and using them as backups too and the need to repair makes you have to be tighter with gold. All in all, I like it because it forces me to be more creative with what gear I use rather than just relying on [x] weapons/armor all the time.

Rymrgand: It forces you to rely on alcohol and hardtack when traveling since those last 14 days. I haven't found this challenge too difficult. The morale loss from my crew eating lots of hardtack is easily counteracted by defeating enemy ships and keeping them happy with morale boosting alcohol. It does mean you have to pick and choose when you want to use powerful food rest bonuses because most food dishes won't last long. To be honest I don't find that I have to rest a lot anyways unless I'm out of empower points or in a particularly hard area so for the most part this challenge is not too bad. The most annoying thing I think will be making sure I can craft certain food dishes when fighting the super bosses. Getting the shark soup to fight Belranga for example might be difficult to manage with this.

Hylea: Not as difficult as I feared. For most encounters I just spam Withdraws on her and that keeps her safe. Occasionally she gets killed at the start of a fight because the enemy rolls higher initiative and targets her before I can act. Usually the enemy will not beeline towards her unless she is the closest target they have available. If she's in the back line she won't usually get attacked. Occasionally ranged enemies will shoot at her. She has enough health to take a couple of hits so she won't always immediately die even if she takes some hits. You do have to be careful with your AOE spells with her.

Skaen: You'll want to have a torch (or Xoti's lantern) around. Apart from that, this one isn't too bad if you already know the games' encounters. It does make ranged enemies more dangerous as you can't always see them when a combat starts.

Ondra: I haven't noticed that many more storms yet but the ones I have encountered were pretty rowdy and hosed my ship/crew up. Enemy ships being faster is a thing too I guess but I haven't had much trouble with that yet since I took the Berath Blessing which gives me those legendary sailors you can recruit at the start. So my little Sloop can outrun even these faster captains/ships usually.

I didn't use:

Wael: Thought about turning it on, but I'm not sure my game knowledge is to the point where I could easily deal with this. Also I like being able to see how hard I hit with my attacks for vanity purposes :v:.

Eothas: I'm sure I could deal with it, but the thought of having a timer is not something that appeals to me for most runs as I like to be fairly completionist

Woedica: I might try this on a future playthrough. Not sure. Turning the game into Vancian seems like it might hurt casters a little too much since the game is now balanced towards everything being per encounter.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i've played PoE2 numerous times and never stumbled into whatever you're talking about. is this some DLC content, or stuff added in a later patch? IIRC the last time i fully cleared the game was around the time BoW came out, and i never found anything called Fulvano's Voyage.

It was something in the Figstarter, they had concept art of a different location per X amount of backers like the Endless Paths, with a little caption from Fulvano saying how much it sucked. Dunnage and the Drowned Barrows were on there, I forget what else. It ended with him saying Deadfire was too dangerous and he was going to head to the Dyrwood instead- you may remember the name Fulvano from the first game, where you found various items belonging to him, one of which was found on a corpse on the beach implied to be Fulvano himself.

Anyway, no mention of Fulvano in any capacity ended up in the game. I assume the idea was just to show off early art of some of the locations

E:

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 4, 2019

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

2house2fly posted:

It was something in the Figstarter, they had concept art of a different location per X amount of backers like the Endless Paths, with a little caption from Fulvano saying how much it sucked. Dunnage and the Drowned Barrows were on there, I forget what else. It ended with him saying Deadfire was too dangerous and he was going to head to the Dyrwood instead- you may remember the name Fulvano from the first game, where you found various items belonging to him, one of which was found on a corpse on the beach implied to be Fulvano himself.

Anyway, no mention of Fulvano in any capacity ended up in the game. I assume the idea was just to show off early art of some of the locations

E:

From what i can tell Mapping the Archipelago started life as Fulvanos Voyage, but for some reason they stripped it

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Black Jacket really owns in turn-based. Mine is a Crusader with a Bleak Walker half and being able to swap to a dagger/shield between turns (plus Lover's Kiss stealth opening when I can), an Arbalest for interrupts, or two 2Hs for FoD depending on enemy AR all for free is the real goddamn deal. Might be the most fun I've had playing this game and I'm well intro triple digit hours.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Xalidur posted:

Black Jacket really owns in turn-based. Mine is a Crusader with a Bleak Walker half and being able to swap to a dagger/shield between turns (plus Lover's Kiss stealth opening when I can), an Arbalest for interrupts, or two 2Hs for FoD depending on enemy AR all for free is the real goddamn deal. Might be the most fun I've had playing this game and I'm well intro triple digit hours.

Yeah the free action switch is money because you can always have the right weapon to penetrate enemies with. It's also really easy to damage enemies with an offensive load out and then switch to sword/shield for when they attack you.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

From what i can tell Mapping the Archipelago started life as Fulvanos Voyage, but for some reason they stripped it

Sanza is a better character than Fulvano anyway.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Xalidur posted:

Holy poo poo I hadn't even considered having a defensive loadout for everyone else's turns. That's huge.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
rope kid recently did a presentation - Game Direction on Collaborative Teams. About an hour long, good watch, especially when he roasts dev complaints about ligatures. Goes into detail about character designs for Aliens Crucible and lots of Pillars stuff.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

isk posted:

rope kid recently did a presentation - Game Direction on Collaborative Teams. About an hour long, good watch, especially when he roasts dev complaints about ligatures. Goes into detail about character designs for Aliens Crucible and lots of Pillars stuff.

This was cool, thanks for linking it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

isk posted:

Haha what was the problem with ligatures?

That long form shacknews article was also a great look into the pillars design I thought.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

a cow posted:

This was cool, thanks for linking it.

:respek:

Starks posted:

Haha what was the problem with ligatures?

Some devs felt they made the text hard to read; rope kid disagreed (and still does) but asked the programmers to add a toggle. He phrases it funny.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
It's funny, I bounced off POE1 pretty hard but really enjoyed this in turn based mode. There's some mechanics that make no real sense in TB but they did their best considering its a total combat overhaul. Some of the fights drag on in TB but it's still pretty neat. I think the hardest part for me was just settling on what to make for the MC, I kept rerolling every time I would get a companion that seemed to overlap. I didn't realize how awful some of the companions were in terms of stats though so overlap doesn't really matter. The setting is really cool, I love the characters and the quests have been fun. Ship combat I just ignore because its confusing and seems superfluous, boarding is more engaging.

I'm playing a straight Monk with no subclass and hes the destroyer of worlds. I think I might do Fighter/Rogue next, I did that with Eder and hes the only one keeping close to my PC in terms of damage. Maia is pretty good too (Pure Ranger) but even with Red Hand shes not doing as much damage as I expected based on what I read elsewhere. Hopefully when I get twin shot I guess.

It's a shame this game didn't sell better but I suspect a lot of people didn't like the first one and decided to wait and see on this. Is there any chance at a third one or have they totally written it off?

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 5, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
TB seems to completely ruin some classes/builds though, like anything focused on attack speed is just ruined completely

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

It's a shame this game didn't sell better but I suspect a lot of people didn't like the first one and decided to wait and see on this. Is there any chance at a third one or have they totally written it off?

No official word but an unofficial "strong possibility" and some additional story content got patched in with what could be interpreted as sequel hooks

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

corn in the bible posted:

TB seems to completely ruin some classes/builds though, like anything focused on attack speed is just ruined completely

It also nerfs the hell out of summons since they last for like one round. That was not fun when I summoned my three lovely skeletons and they did one attack before poofing into the aether.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Zore posted:

It also nerfs the hell out of summons since they last for like one round. That was not fun when I summoned my three lovely skeletons and they did one attack before poofing into the aether.

Yeah thats kinda lovely for those skeletons specifically, since the entire point of them has always been that they each soak up one attack that could have been aimed at your party and then crumble.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

It is really odd, some of the other summons like the wyrm trio last a number of turns, the giant spore lasts a bunch of turns, but the ghost and the skeletons last only two or so.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
On TB the ogres were a mainstay of mine. Summon them on turn one for extra damage sponges and they'd usually last until the end of the fight, or at worst need one recast. I thought summons were extra good on TB for the action economy or whatever.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Looks like they're still looking at maybe one more performance patch to fix Queen's Berth?

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/106064-issues-with-nvidia-graphics-cards-fixed/#comment-2159606

quote:

Hi everyone,

We are still looking into the Nvidia issue, but we haven't been able to reproduce it on our end with a wide variety of hardware. Today, I ran through some tests on a 1070 and I was getting around 40-50fps in the Neketaka Docks. It's not an ideal framerate, but it's fairly stable while moving the party and camera around. Occasionally the frame rate drops or stutters briefly, but it doesn't seem as frequent or severe as what is reported. Our profiling investigation shows that the game is heavily CPU bound. Most of the frame time is taken up by the ability, AI, and status effect systems. This means that the CPU is the bottleneck and not the GPU.

As a second test, our IT department swapped a 2080 into my rig (nice! 😀😀😀), and I ran through the docks and got similar framerate and performance. This lines up because we are CPU bound. As a side note, lowering the resolution is also a good test to see if the game is GPU or CPU bound. If a lower resolution gives more frames then the GPU is the bottleneck. The 2080 confirms we are CPU bound on the upper end of hardware, and unfortunately, even with the 2080 I'm still unable to reproduce the massive stutter/locks that some are experiencing.

A few things moving forward:

- I would like to continue to look at CPU performance and see if we can get any gains by optimizing some of the above systems (abilities). I have a few ideas in mind that may work, but optimizations to key systems are risky because they can introduce bugs. We will see what we can do, and I'll keep everyone updated on if we made progress in this area. The big problem is that we just have too much stuff. In the city, we can have hundreds of active abilities and status effects, each unique with custom scripting. Many of these need to be updated each frame. It's a problem, and one that can be solved.
- As an ask to the community: can anyone please record a video on the NVidia stuttering or find one that's already been made? It will be immensely helpful to take a look at it. Thank you!
- Also, can anyone supply a new save game with this issue happening? Does this issue happen if you jump straight into a low performance area? (iroll20s on the main menu console. F-11 to jump to a map).
- There's also a reported performance problem that could be save game or achievement related. I would also be interested in getting save games from people experiencing that issue to see if we can see what's causing the freeze.
- We are aware of the Special K mod and fix. (You can view the thread here on Steam). A few programmers here looked into this last year when it was first reported, and we were unable to do anything on our end because it would require us to modify the Unity source code (which we aren't doing for Deadfire). Another unfortunate circumstance is we are running on a old version of Unity (5.6) and upgrading the engine to get the potential fix would be a significant undertaking. We are well aware this is still a problem, I'm discussing solutions with everyone to see if we can find a resolution.

Hopefully we can tackle some of these issues and make the game as best as it can be.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah, it's clearly at least mostly a CPU thing- I had barely-playable fps in the temple district and Delver's Row whereas I never really had a problem in Queens Berth compared to the rest of the game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's a shame they're running on the version they are. PoE2 would've probably benefited a lot from the new ECS and job system paradigm Unity's working towards.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

2house2fly posted:

No official word but an unofficial "strong possibility" and some additional story content got patched in with what could be interpreted as sequel hooks

whatb were the sequel hooks?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

corn in the bible posted:

I feel like the change to damage on quick weapons helps somewhat but aside from monk fists the itemization for fast weapons was already so spotty that I can't bring myself to be super disappointed about it. I guess it definitely does kinda kill the main high level gimmick of pure cipher and the wizard's haste/slow spells, and I guess monk especially feels the nerf (but they hit like trucks so).

Also Kazuwari would be perfectly placed if it was locked behind Hasongo, behind Magran's Teeth feels a bit like having WM2 locked behind Court of Stars in terms of pacing.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 6, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xChOXFJ83-g

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

The biggest problem with SSS is that it's boring

ftfy

User fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 6, 2019

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

whatb were the sequel hooks?

Don't know if they were sequel hooks or just there to be enigmatic given the game's already extremely open ending, but Woedica talks about wanting to rule tyranically over mortals again, and if you impress her all she says is that'll make it harder to make her case. You bring up your Burned Book conversations in the new dialogue with Eothas right at the end of the game and he seems perturbed about it instead of giving his usual "life will find a way" style platitudes

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
All three DLC include stuff that ultimately leads to that Woedica stuff, with the pieces of the crown and book references in The Forgotten Sanctum too, so it feels like it's been planned out for a while.

P.S. : People should really watch the Sawyer talk. There's a lot of interesting insights into what went right and wrong with Deadfire and the sort of pressure he ended up being under while developing the game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He was pretty even-handed and good-natured about it overall, but you could definitely hear some resentment creeping in when talking about the VO. I assumed there'd been disagreements internally about it but hadn't realised it caused that much pressure. Death to full VO except for ending slides

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I still think that PoE1 partial VO was even worse, especially when there was a lot of silent text in the middle of voiced one. Voice over just for plot-relevant things and outside of dialogue in-game speech bobbles might work fine. Especially with potential development problems invisible to us mere mortals.

I remember how BioWare had to work around VO up to Mass Effect 2 with awkward speech blobs or alien/ancient pseudo-Chinese languages that PC understands. It was especially strange in Dragon Age Origins where companions react to practically anything except some special quests that consist of written notes.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Got a link to the talk?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There's an embedded YouTube video a few posts above.

For the record, I liked the VO in Deadfire, I think it worked out really well, but I really hope decisions like that are taken much, much sooner in any projects they develop in the future, to avoid this kind of logistical nightmare and the stress that comes with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Thanks for posting this!

I can't believe that, at least as presented here, the primary driving motivations for full VO were "Larian did it" and "streamers were complaining". I get that a games streamability is important for marketing/engagement, but loving really???

I'm glad to see Josh pointing out the oft-ignored dynamic in old IE combat where martial characters have no buttons to press most of the time. I think my largest complaint with the flow of combat in PoE2 is too many instant/fast casting buffs on every character that aren't really much of a choice- my Monk is always going to pop Swift Strikes at the start of combat, my Barbarian is always going to Frenzy, etc. AI scripting can help with this a bit but there is some button bloat still.

I think he kind of glosses over the reduction in party size also forcing players to make tougher choices re: companion interactions, and not in a fun way. I think this plays into why Sidekicks got so much poo poo, for example: you're already taking away a party slot after building up all this cool companion reactivity stuff, why would I take away another for a jerk that doesn't feed into any of that? I do really hope they iterate on the companion interaction and relationship stuff, I complained about it when the game came out but the goals behind it are extremely my poo poo.

I really like the presentation of the ship combat; my complaint about it is it's way too simplistic (get into cannon range, shoot/jibe/hold/shoot until finished).

"I know somebody is watching this saying 'oh my god obsidian is never going to make a rtwp game again'" yeah, it's me, how did you know? I do really hope there's more mechanical parity between TB and RtwP for potential future games, but let's be real unless BG3 is RTwP and sells a billion copies they're probably only going to include it in future games as an afterthought.

I hope Josh gets to take a break from directing these kinds of games for a nice long time if he wants. Who knows, perhaps some day we will get to finally experience gently caress you, Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG