Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

where can i find the unrated one

I got it on DVD.

https://www.amazon.com/Leatherface-...=gateway&sr=8-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I remember the unrated TCM3 being pretty decent with the R rated one being okayish.

Even the completely unrated one has things they simply didn't get around to filming when they got early notes from the MPAA about the script. You can also find production stills of stuff that they did shoot but were not in the final film at all, as well, because of the script changes. All of them much more violent and hosed up, which, again, was the entire point of the production at the start.

Drunkboxer posted:

What’s the deal with the censorship climate in the 80s and early 90s, was it really just Tipper Gore and Reagan? It also coincides with the Video Nasty era in the UK.

All I know is it completely destroyed a lot of low to mid budget studios because they suddenly could no longer make something that could get wide distribution and turn a profit.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 4, 2019

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

I remember the unrated TCM3 being pretty decent with the R rated one being okayish. TCM:TNG just left me with a 'what the hell did I just sit through' feeling, especially with the ending.

edit to add:

I've always figured it as a sort of perfect storm cultural touchpoint. At the same time there was the Satanic Panic and I remember a rising concern about latchkey kids being more common so there was a big fear buildup of what could be going on with kids away from parental scrutiny. Toss in a healthy dose of parental guilt at not feeling they're providing an idyllic homelife and there you go. It's easier to demand censorship rather than take that time to have a serious sit down talk with your kids. It really wouldn't surprise me if the fears over gory horror and 'questionable' music ended up swinging the societal pendulum towards helicopter parenting which is its own mess.

I’d believe that, at least to some extent. I just want to know about how someone watched the cartoony violence in Evil Dead 2 and slapped it with an X.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

where can i find the unrated one

There’s nothing in it that redeems it. It’s the copy I have.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Argue posted:

Watched Savageland and it's pretty fun. I think I like this format; are there any other horror films in the form of people trying to piece together what happened, while never actually coming across the horrors themselves? No straight-up found footage please, unless it's particularly clever.

It's such a drat good movie, it finally does something refreshing with the genre and there isn't anything quite like it. Imagine how by the numbers and dull it would have been if it was just about a guy running through a town at night snapping pictures in real time.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Butterfly Kisses is like that. Found footage but it’s like a documentary about a guy trying to make a film about some creepy footage he found. More about the character than the horror part.

e: don’t want to spoil it but the creepy/supernatural stuff doesn’t happen to the documentary crew, they sort of observe it third-hand

Seyser Koze posted:

Lake Mungo is sort of like this (it's a documentary about a family being haunted by the ghost of their daughter and trying to piece together her experiences before her death). I wouldn't really call it a horror movie though, it's more sad than frightening.

I wouldn't say these are anything like Savageland and are just straight found footage, you could put Grave Encounters on that list since it's riffing hard on the Ghost Adventures type show and characters but it's still 100% found footage.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I’d believe that, at least to some extent. I just want to know about how someone watched the cartoony violence in Evil Dead 2 and slapped it with an X.

That probably connects to the commentary we've all heard about 'How can you watch all that blood and violence? Normal people don't watch that stuff.'. Even though what you see in the Evil Dead 2 and 3 isn't much different than what you see in the old cartoons, probably because it's not a cartoon is what gets the pearl clutching going on.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

s.i.r.e. posted:

I wouldn't say these are anything like Savageland and are just straight found footage, you could put Grave Encounters on that list since it's riffing hard on the Ghost Adventures type show and characters but it's still 100% found footage.

I'd actually say Lake Mungo is even less of a found-footage movie than Savageland is, since few, if any, of the spooks are apparent to the characters when the footage is filmed and they're only being noticed upon later review.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Thanks for the recs, I'll scope those out; keep em coming if you got em. On my part, I think the closest thing I've seen to Savageland is Ghostwatch, which just straddles the line between normal horror and the kind I want to see more of.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!

Lurdiak posted:

All I know is it completely destroyed a lot of low to mid budget studios because they suddenly could no longer make something that could get wide distribution and turn a profit.

drat near destroyed a lot of indie bands and record labels too most notably The Dead Kennedys and Alternative Tentacles

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

drat near destroyed a lot of indie bands and record labels too most notably The Dead Kennedys and Alternative Tentacles

We still haven't completely recovered from it. There's really not been another Robocop.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

We still haven't completely recovered from it. There's really not been another Robocop.

Don't I loving know it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

cough Punisher War Zone cough Hobo with a Shotgun cough

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
If we’re talking successors to Robocop my vote is Dredd but that’s kind of a grey area (it’s very likely the Judge Dredd comics influenced/inspired Robocop in the first place)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If we’re talking successors to Robocop my vote is Dredd but that’s kind of a grey area (it’s very likely the Judge Dredd comics influenced/inspired Robocop in the first place)

Dredd had some visual inspiration on RoboCop, but primarily it was Space Sheriff Gavan, a tokustasu metal hero from Japan

More the kind of tone Dredd had was translated into 80s America than anything else, though RoboCop himself is a very different kind of character.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am loving how Anabelle 3 is shaping up to be a SCP type of movie with spirits from all the cursed objects and not just Annabelle

This is SCP by the way

http://www.scp-wiki.net/

A fake website that catalogues cursed objects and creatures

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 5, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am loving how Anabelle 3 is shaping up to be a SCP type of movie with spirits from all the cursed objects and not just Annabelle

This is SCP by the way

http://www.scp-wiki.net/

A fake website that catalogues cursed objects and creatures

And here's the goonthread on the SCP site. Some goons have contributed articles.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664805

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Am I right in assuming there's like no canon between the Conjuring spinoffs? Like its just random references in each film to different Warren cases like Annabelle being in the first Conjuring?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That isn't what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvqDaFpXeM

The only movies with this kind of brutal violence are indie projects like Hobo with a Shotgun and Tarantino movies (because Tarantino does not give a gently caress). Mid budget movies aren't allowed to do this kinda thing and get distribution anymore, and major studio releases have always been uninterested in it. Smaller genre films used to be able to pile on the crazy gore effects to wow an audience and get them to look past the flaws in their production.

I mean sure, Dredd has violence. But it doesn't really compare, does it?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah. When discounting overseas productions, we don't really get gnarly, blood soaked violence anymore. But at least, in Warzone, I got to see Frank Castle cave a meth head's skull in with a punch.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation

Lurdiak posted:

That isn't what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvqDaFpXeM

The only movies with this kind of brutal violence are indie projects like Hobo with a Shotgun and Tarantino movies (because Tarantino does not give a gently caress). Mid budget movies aren't allowed to do this kinda thing and get distribution anymore, and major studio releases have always been uninterested in it. Smaller genre films used to be able to pile on the crazy gore effects to wow an audience and get them to look past the flaws in their production.

I mean sure, Dredd has violence. But it doesn't really compare, does it?

In fairness, this movie wasn’t actually allowed to have that kind of brutal violence even then - the theatrical cut of that scene is much shorter, we didn’t get the unedited version til Criterion did their dvd

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think Starship Troopers ironically could have been the successor you're looking for, but it's a bit too conservative on the gore and hindered by the CGI blood that is there. I think when you watch that first battle scene, you can definitely see how the whole thing could be a whole battle of Murphys being shot to bits. But stuff like the one soldier who runs away and gets killed ends up looking very Raimi-esque.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

In fairness, this movie wasn’t actually allowed to have that kind of brutal violence even then - the theatrical cut of that scene is much shorter, we didn’t get the unedited version til Criterion did their dvd

It's still an insanely violent film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation

Lurdiak posted:

It's still an insanely violent film.

It’s still pretty violent in its theatrical form yeah but that wasn’t the only scene cut down. Murphy’s Death is way shorter in the theatrical cut as well, Boddiker’s too.

If we’re talking horror I actually think we get away with way more now. Just look at how badly all the Friday the 13th movies got hacked up by the MPAA. But with action movies you do definitely have a point.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm finishing up The Nightshifter thanks to Shudder and man it's gotten so dull. The story revolves around a guy working in a morgue that can talk to the dead corpses that are brought in. It's interesting and no one else can hear the bodies. He learns about how the victims died from them and the going abouts of the city. Pretty interesting idea, but it shits the bed and becomes a by the numbers haunting film that doesn't do a drat thing interesting or new.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm finishing up The Nightshifter thanks to Shudder and man it's gotten so dull. The story revolves around a guy working in a morgue that can talk to the dead corpses that are brought in. It's interesting and no one else can hear the bodies. He learns about how the victims died from them and the going abouts of the city. Pretty interesting idea, but it shits the bed and becomes a by the numbers haunting film that doesn't do a drat thing interesting or new.

It had its moments. I think with a little more editing to tighten up the pacing would've helped.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I think it should of kept with him getting information and using it to his benefit but things get out of control and he can't handle it. Rather, he does one thing that leads him to get haunted and that's the rest of the film, just a straight horror film. Hell they could of at had some comedy in there too. Oh well.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think it should of kept with him getting information and using it to his benefit but things get out of control and he can't handle it. Rather, he does one thing that leads him to get haunted and that's the rest of the film, just a straight horror film. Hell they could of at had some comedy in there too. Oh well.

I agree that they could've done more with the concept. It did roll pretty fast from the one corpse telling the guy his wife's cheating on him to his arranging the hit on her lover and her getting shot for not keeping quiet. It also threw me off a bit in that unless being dead changes your perception of things, I didn't see why she was also lashing out at her kids with the aggressive haunting.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

cough Punisher War Zone cough

this movie is just a great time

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

gey muckle mowser posted:

Butterfly Kisses is like that. Found footage but it’s like a documentary about a guy trying to make a film about some creepy footage he found. More about the character than the horror part.

e: don’t want to spoil it but the creepy/supernatural stuff doesn’t happen to the documentary crew, they sort of observe it third-hand

So this is like House of Leaves: the Movie?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I now own all the pennywises

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Seyser Koze posted:

So this is like House of Leaves: the Movie?

It doesn't play with physical space the way House of Leaves does, but there's a similarity in the way it manages its frame story.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My co-worker insisted I watch The Basement on Netflix, about a man who is kidnapped and tortured by a serial killer with multiple personality disorder.

It's not really great. The directing is bland and poorly planned, the main character is pretty dumb and never really tries to escape his captor, and it's pretty predictable. However, it's strangely compelling, despite it's numerous flaws. It's like a smaller, cheaper The Perfect Host mixed with Split. The whole film is based on gore showcases and the range of the actor who plays the killer who has to try and manage around 13 or 14 personality roles. He doesn't quite land any of them, but he at least tries his best? (And, technically, a detail revealed at the end sort of justifies the bad acting.)

It's a weird mess of a movie, in that you'll be frustrated by the lead character's inaction, but then you'll learn something crazy, like the serial killer decapitates his victims with a blow torch.

Everything just needs more work. The script is heavy on dialogue. It should have gotten weirder, gorier. There needs to be more suspense. Maybe rework some of the personality types. But overall? Not the worst Netflix B-movie horror I've seen.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Nobody told me the new Chucky movie is just Maximum Overdrive/Toys?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Nobody told me the new Chucky movie is just Maximum Overdrive/Toys?

I was trying to find a clip of an ATM calling Stephen King an rear end in a top hat, but in searching for it I found this Maximum Overdrive commercial starring a bug-eyed, cocaine addled Stephen King

https://youtu.be/ygWMy-QQNbw

I don’t know how I’ve never seen this, it’s great.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blast Fantasto posted:

I was trying to find a clip of an ATM calling Stephen King an rear end in a top hat, but in searching for it I found this Maximum Overdrive commercial starring a bug-eyed, cocaine addled Stephen King

FEED ME A STRAY VAN

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Soda machine death in Maximum Overdrive justifies the whole movie imo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blast Fantasto posted:

I've always wondered if King was playing up this look at this point.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Basebf555 posted:

Soda machine death in Maximum Overdrive justifies the whole movie imo

The whole first 20 minutes or so are loving awesome. Drawbridge opening up, soda can death, steamroller runs a kid over, ATM insults King.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Blast Fantasto posted:

The whole first 20 minutes or so are loving awesome. Drawbridge opening up, soda can death, steamroller runs a kid over, ATM insults King.

and an entire soundtrack by AC/DC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1136331363777425408

Well look at that

Both my labeling of Gojira 1954 (and King of the Monsters 1956) as horror AND critics being wrong, in one place!