Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Next movie opens up with King Godzilla in Skull Island completely bored by everything as Anguirus is giving him a finance report on Titan Expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's pretty one sided, Mothra's just serving her alpha. I don't recall them singing to each other though, is that when he's under the sea or during the final battle?

Godzilla reacts to her death too, crying out mournfully, it just goes by fast given, well, what's going on at the time. He clearly isn't happy about it, though, and given what happens after, it's easy to imagine his brutally destroying Ghidorah with the power she gave him as him getting revenge. He also glares at Rodan, who never attacked him personally but was the big reason Mothra was so weak she could only take a blow to save Godzilla, after that, so he still seems pretty angry about it there too.

You can admittedly read it either way, but I feel like there's more towards Godzilla caring but being too much of a grumpy old man to show it properly most of the time.

Dammerung posted:

I completely agree, and I wish it had been different and spelled out a little more clearly. At the very least, Mothra dying should have been enough to instantly push him over the edge, like Rodan's sacrifice in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II.

It did. Immediately after it happened, Godzilla let out a sad cry. Then the next time we saw him (besides when Ghidorah was still strangling him due to how weak he was then, since, you know, her whole sacrifice and Emma running off with the ORCA were both to buy him enough time to recover), he was in his burning form and looking pissed. What you said there is literally what happened.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 4, 2019

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Mothra's sacrifice is on youtube and Godzilla does make that distress cry when her essence flows into him.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Burkion posted:

The action in the film is straight showa on a huge budget though. Less reliance on beams, more pile driving from outerspace

It'd be more Showa if Godzilla emoted more during the action set pieces I think. He's really just an imposing brute—not that there's anything wrong with that, I love how badass he is/looks/moves/etc. If they wanted more Showa-esque levity, I could've done with Godzilla maybe doing some charming stuff as opposed to just being straight 100% badass, but I'm not sure how they'd do that. Having Godzilla act like a giant derpy goofball dog/cat in the same vein of how HTTYD handled Toothless's mannerisms wouldn't translate well, at least not in the tone of KOTM or Godzilla 2014. Maybe Godzilla vs Kong will be different since the general tone of Kong's MonsterVerse movie felt a bit lighter.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

teagone posted:

It'd be more Showa if Godzilla emoted more during the action set pieces I think. He's really just an imposing brute—not that there's anything wrong with that, I love how badass he is/looks/moves/etc. If they wanted more Showa-esque levity, I could've done with Godzilla maybe doing some charming stuff as opposed to just being straight 100% badass, but I'm not sure how they'd do that. Having Godzilla act like a giant derpy goofball dog/cat in the same vein of how HTTYD handled Toothless's mannerisms wouldn't translate well, at least not in the tone of KOTM or Godzilla 2014. Maybe Godzilla vs Kong will be different since the general tone of Kong's MonsterVerse movie felt a bit lighter.

Kong has a lot of jokes but the violence is nasty in that movie. The dude impaled through the mouth with the bamboo spider leg, Kong’s burns and huge gaping lacerations. Multiple people getting brutally munched, not to mention stomped, exploded, and burned, and Young Reilly grabbing a katana blade with his bare hands

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They shoulda let him do the Godzilla victory dance in the movie. And in the next one, Godzilla should run a restaurant named in the late Mothra's honor, a la Rocky Balboa.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I'd love to see Godzilla hauling himself out of the water, like a ginormous bull elephant seal, only to flop onto a cushy sand dune. With how well the kaiju are realized, it'd be captivating just watching them chill. Seeing Godzilla or the others observe smaller creatures with mild interest would go a long way to establish them as more than colossal engines of destruction. A movie about Leftie calmly looking at things and causing utter havok with just his presence would be incredible.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/lordofbutt54/status/1136000771827425280?s=19

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Roland Jones posted:

It did. Immediately after it happened, Godzilla let out a sad cry. Then the next time we saw him (besides when Ghidorah was still strangling him due to how weak he was then, since, you know, her whole sacrifice and Emma running off with the ORCA were both to buy him enough time to recover), he was in his burning form and looking pissed. What you said there is literally what happened.

But it didn't, because of, as you noted, Ghidorah strangling him. That event occurring indicates that there was a temporal period between her sacrifice and him going into his burning form. It seems like it's erroneous to handwave that part away, because it indicates that what I said there did not happen. What seems more likely than him recovering in that thirty second period or so was that he finally went into meltdown, which the main human characters were discussing happening as the Battle in Boston got underway. "He's going to go critical in 12 minutes!" It seems to indicate that Mothra just bought him time, not that her sacrifice directly inspired him to attain it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

teagone posted:

I think one of the things this movie carried over from 2014 is Gareth's Edwards's characterization of Godzilla, comparing him to "the last samurai": "He's an ancient warrior who's the last of his kind, and his kind has long since died out. He lives a very solitary lonely existence and he's very happy to keep away from everyone, but we keep doing things to force him to return and put things right." He's old and battle-scarred and not exactly happy, but he still fights if he has to and still protects those he watches over. Similarly, on the earlier topic, he doesn't show much open affection towards Mothra, but he definitely cares. He's just, again, a grumpy old man.

Dammerung posted:

But it didn't, because of, as you noted, Ghidorah strangling him. That event occurring indicates that there was a temporal period between her sacrifice and him going into his burning form. It seems like it's erroneous to handwave that part away, because it indicates that what I said there did not happen. What seems more likely than him recovering in that thirty second period or so was that he finally went into meltdown, which the main human characters were discussing happening as the Battle in Boston got underway. "He's going to go critical in 12 minutes!" It seems to indicate that Mothra just bought him time, not that her sacrifice directly inspired him to attain it.

Okay, so you mean you wanted the events to happen instantly after each other, and because the big, injured lizard was not up on his feet again in seconds, you can ignore all the events before and after it. Still, I mean, his nuclear blasts literally had Mothra's wing pattern and her roar when they happened, which I think makes it pretty clear that her sacrifice mattered more than just buying time. And you're still ignoring that he did in fact react to it immediately after it happened.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 4, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I mean, okay.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I have trans friends who like Mothra, but as a symbol of beauty, empathy, and power not as a representation of their experience. Also, Mothra webbing up some dudes who shocked her isn't exactly lashing out of the world: It's self defense.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm like 75% shitposting, it just clicked for me on the way home that that works as a valid reading and my enby rear end loves it

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, so you mean you wanted the events to happen instantly after each other, and because the big, injured lizard was not up on his feet again in seconds, you can ignore all the events before and after it. Still, I mean, his nuclear blasts literally had Mothra's wing pattern and her roar when they happened, which I think makes it pretty clear that her sacrifice mattered more than just buying time. And you're still ignoring that he did in fact react to it immediately after it happened.

I think that's the difference between our perspectives - Godzilla isn't just a big lizard, injured or otherwise, he's something more than that. To describe him as such does fit more in line with the film's depiction of him as an animal who happens to have radioactive properties or whatever, which I'm also not entirely fond of. And I did indeed note those things in a previous post!

Dammerung posted:

They sing to one another when Godzilla's recovering, Mothra dies protecting him, and the noises made and visual design of the nuclear pulses Godzilla fires out at the end are based on Mothra's cry and the patterns on her wings.

I'm not saying that it wasn't meaningful to him when it happened, just that it seems more... err, incidental over the course of the battle, considering that he was going to melt down anyway? I'm not ignoring any of the events that occurred, I'm just saying that I'm not entirely happy with how they were depicted. I demand perfection from my kaiju movie, dangit!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Next movie opens up with King Godzilla in Skull Island completely bored by everything as Anguirus is giving him a finance report on Titan Expenses.

This, but with Godzilla instead of Arnie:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Roland Jones posted:

He clearly isn't happy about it, though, and given what happens after, it's easy to imagine his brutally destroying Ghidorah with the power she gave him as him getting revenge.

Mothra doesn't give him the power he uses to destroy Ghidorah, right? I thought him going critical was the side effect of nuking him, so Mothra really just gives him a phoenix down so he revives to keep fighting and then goes thermonuclear.

This is really stupid.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I don’t follow how the caterpillar is coded as masculine

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

In the bootleg clip, Goji's body temporarily turns molten orange when he absorbs her power, so it's possible that Mothra stabilized the reaction the scientists were scared about.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Because it turns aggressive and kills people and that's a male thing, I guess?

Do butterflies have a sex in the caterpillar phase?

Tekne posted:

In the bootleg clip, Goji's body temporarily turns molten orange when he absorbs her power, so it's possible that Mothra stabilized the reaction the scientists were scared about.

Ah, that makes sense then.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Caterpillars are long. you know what else is long?

dicks

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mothra is a friend to everybody and if trans people wanna adopt her as an icon I say go for it

https://twitter.com/anomallite/status/1135967703041073152?s=21

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

She doesn't kill anyone there. The guy Mothra bites she throws into some webbing. Hell, I guess you could say she spared Rodan when she could've stabbed him in the heart.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Mothra is a friend to everybody and if trans people wanna adopt her as an icon I say go for it

:hmmyes:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

This is really stupid.

I mean

It's kind of a stretch but people have used butterflies as a trans metaphor before, so why not apply it to the greatest of them all

Whatever makes people happy (and isn't moronic like people trying to say that this is the most Anti Left Wing movie in recent history)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Don't link your own tweets.

DC Murderverse posted:

Caterpillars are long. you know what else is long?

dicks

Not in my experience.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Burkion posted:

I mean

It's kind of a stretch but people have used butterflies as a trans metaphor before, so why not apply it to the greatest of them all

Whatever makes people happy (and isn't moronic like people trying to say that this is the most Anti Left Wing movie in recent history)
Yeah, you're right. If there are trans people who identify with Mothra, then more power to them. The Queen of Monsters loves us all except Ghidorah.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tekne posted:

She doesn't kill anyone there. The guy Mothra bites she throws into some webbing.

It's like Batman, he doesn't kill anybody but he sure as poo poo will ragdoll a motherfucker enough for his spine to break to make sure he never walks again.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

King Ghidorah is toxic masculinity personified. The Golden Demise attacks or destroys what displeases him, demands others serve him, and reshapes the world to his liking with merciless violence.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Burkion posted:

Excuse me what now

WHAT THE poo poo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Tekne posted:

King Ghidorah is toxic masculinity personified. The Golden Demise attacks or destroys what displeases him, demands others serve him, and reshapes the world to his liking with merciless violence.

Hell the dude can't even get along with himself!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tekne posted:

You should see his youtube channel. Screaming about the fall of Western culture, how all women are decadent sluts chasing after those Godzilla chads, FEMINISM in video games. It's a mess. Maybe the Mothras of the world would be into him if his personality wasn't trash.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It never dawned on me until they mentioned that King Gidorah fell from outer space just how many end bosses to JRPGs are exactly that. Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy VII...

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dammerung posted:

I think that's the difference between our perspectives - Godzilla isn't just a big lizard, injured or otherwise, he's something more than that. To describe him as such does fit more in line with the film's depiction of him as an animal who happens to have radioactive properties or whatever, which I'm also not entirely fond of. And I did indeed note those things in a previous post!

I'm not saying that it wasn't meaningful to him when it happened, just that it seems more... err, incidental over the course of the battle, considering that he was going to melt down anyway? I'm not ignoring any of the events that occurred, I'm just saying that I'm not entirely happy with how they were depicted. I demand perfection from my kaiju movie, dangit!

No, I'm not trying to say that he's "just a big lizard", and the movie doesn't treat him that way either for that matter; what I mean is that he is literally too big to do what you want. This universe pretends to be somewhat realistic, relative to the Toho "Godzilla slides across the landscape on his tail" stuff at least, so after everything that occurred, he literally could not immediately react the way you wanted. He's big, lumbering, slow, and was royally hosed up after what Ghidorah did to him, so of course it took him a bit to get up and destroy Ghidorah for killing Mothra. The best I can see for what you described, with the events directly following one another, would be something like cutting out Emma's sacrifice, so that after Mothra dies and charges Godzilla up, when Ghidorah is moving in to grab him or starts strangling him he immediately unleashes a nuclear pulse and blasts the dragon away, forcing him back long enough for Godzilla to get to his feet and get revenge. Which, on the one hand, in the hypothetical reworked movie where the human plots were better and we didn't need the above thing, could have worked, but on the other hand the reveal of burning Godzilla where his mere presence is melting the buildings around him was pretty cool, so.

I dunno, I thought that enough happened, particularly the Mothra-powered nuclear pulses, for it to be clear that Mothra was important to him, even if there was a bit of time between events here.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Mothra doesn't give him the power he uses to destroy Ghidorah, right? I thought him going critical was the side effect of nuking him, so Mothra really just gives him a phoenix down so he revives to keep fighting and then goes thermonuclear.

She does. Again, you can see the pattern of her wings and hear her cry whenever he lets out a nuclear pulse.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Because it turns aggressive and kills people and that's a male thing, I guess?

Someone mentioned it, but larva Mothra went out of her way to not do lethal damage in her "rampage", only using her webbing and even throwing the one guy into a web when she could have dashed him against stone cliff by chucking him in any other direction. She wasn't a real threat then, the importance of calming her down was so that MONARCH didn't follow protocol and kill her due to her being "dangerous".

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 4, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tekne posted:

Ghidorah is Dennis from Always Sunny????

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah go wild and the butterfly transformation thing is pretty obvious I just don’t understand that part of the tweet

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbot posted:

You should see his youtube channel. Screaming about the fall of Western culture, how all women are decadent sluts chasing after those Godzilla chads, FEMINISM in video games. It's a mess. Maybe the Mothras of the world would be into him if his personality wasn't trash.

loving

And he keeps flexing at the start of each video while complaining that media reduces people to just sex objects

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Checks out. :hmmyes:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Who's the Danny Devito analogue?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Who's the Danny Devito analogue?

Probably Rodan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anguirus is DeVito/Frank.