Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Roland Jones posted:

No, I'm not trying to say that he's "just a big lizard", and the movie doesn't treat him that way either for that matter; what I mean is that he is literally too big to do what you want. This universe pretends to be somewhat realistic, relative to the Toho "Godzilla slides across the landscape on his tail" stuff at least, so after everything that occurred, he literally could not immediately react the way you wanted. He's big, lumbering, slow, and was royally hosed up after what Ghidorah did to him, so of course it took him a bit to get up and destroy Ghidorah for killing Mothra. The best I can see for what you described, with the events directly following one another, would be something like cutting out Emma's sacrifice, so that after Mothra dies and charges Godzilla up, when Ghidorah is moving in to grab him or starts strangling him he immediately unleashes a nuclear pulse and blasts the dragon away, forcing him back long enough for Godzilla to get to his feet and get revenge. Which, on the one hand, in the hypothetical reworked movie where the human plots were better and we didn't need the above thing, could have worked, but on the other hand the reveal of burning Godzilla where his mere presence is melting the buildings around him was pretty cool, so.

Yeah, that suggestion is pretty much what I had in mind - or maybe just shuffling Emma's sacrifice, so Mothra spends that time getting over to Godzilla and trying to heal him. Give them a longer moment together, you know?

And I do agree, that shot would be a difficult thing to sacrifice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Next movie opens up with King Godzilla in Skull Island completely bored by everything as Anguirus is giving him a finance report on Titan Expenses.

And then he catches up with his estranged nephew to look after the younger triplet nephews who together with baby Mothra reignite his love for adventure?

Ed: the triplets are Minilla, Godzooky and Zilla.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 4, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Godzooki is a fake idea.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Who's the Danny Devito analogue?

Left Head

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Minilla, Zilla and Jr. The other two hate Jr because he's a kiss rear end for daddy's approval.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dammerung posted:

Yeah, that suggestion is pretty much what I had in mind - or maybe just shuffling Emma's sacrifice, so Mothra spends that time getting over to Godzilla and trying to heal him. Give them a longer moment together, you know?

And I do agree, that shot would be a difficult thing to sacrifice!

Makes sense. And yeah, I do wish we had seen them interact more, and had more Mothra in general. Though, tangent, I do like that, before Rodan comes in and blindsides Mothra, Godzilla has Ghidorah down and seems to be giving her the kill shot on the dragon. Those two would have easily taken down Ghidorah if he hadn't gotten his own assist.

Also, Godzilla and Mothra working together makes a sort of "good" counterpart to the MUTO couple from the last movie, with the big heavyweight on the ground and the lighter aerial harassment, though Mothra has more lethal power than the male MUTO did. (Ghidorah and Rodan don't quite have this dynamic, since both are fliers and Rodan is only "light" relative to Ghidorah rather than the Titans in general.) Not sure if that's intentional or meaningful or anything, but I think it's kind of neat.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Roland Jones posted:

Also, Godzilla and Mothra working together makes a sort of "good" counterpart to the MUTO couple from the last movie

This reminds me, I was a little disappointed that we only get one fully-grown MUTO as one of the Titans instead of a couple.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Sorry if this was already addressed, or was super obvious in the movie, but was the supercharged burning Godzilla due to an overdose of nuclear power, him being dropped a thousand miles from the air, Mothras energy,.or all 3?

Edit - if it is a combo of these things, it kind of demonstrates how the movie crammed too many ideas in. Just one of these things would have sufficed.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Roland Jones posted:

Makes sense. And yeah, I do wish we had seen them interact more, and had more Mothra in general. Though, tangent, I do like that, before Rodan comes in and blindsides Mothra, Godzilla has Ghidorah down and seems to be giving her the kill shot on the dragon. Those two would have easily taken down Ghidorah if he hadn't gotten his own assist.

Also, Godzilla and Mothra working together makes a sort of "good" counterpart to the MUTO couple from the last movie, with the big heavyweight on the ground and the lighter aerial harassment, though Mothra has more lethal power than the male MUTO did. (Ghidorah and Rodan don't quite have this dynamic, since both are fliers and Rodan is only "light" relative to Ghidorah rather than the Titans in general.) Not sure if that's intentional or meaningful or anything, but I think it's kind of neat.

For sure! Ghidorah really got lucky so many times throughout the movie. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the first time Godzilla and (maybe another) Mothra pummeled him over the course of their long history together.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It was from the nuke, right? They said it gave him a little too much juice.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Mantis42 posted:

I heard that dialogue too, but Mothra's shriek was heard when Godzilla unleashed his finishing move

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Sorry if this was already addressed, or was super obvious in the movie, but was the supercharged burning Godzilla due to an overdose of nuclear power, him being dropped a thousand miles from the air, Mothras energy,.or all 3?

Edit - if it is a combo of these things, it kind of demonstrates how the movie crammed too many ideas in. Just one of these things would have sufficed.

My understanding is that it was from the nuke juice and was set on a timer. In fact, the timer is shown and the human characters are stalling until it kicks in.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He was overcharged. They didn't have a timer set to it per se, the timer was a calculation based on an estimate for when he'd go critical.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The human plot could have been improved if Madison had Minilla and got themselves into wacky hijinks while the adults try to have a serious plot.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

The nuke overcharged him but it was just going to result in him going off like an atom bomb; Mothra's energy seemed to somehow bring things under his own control or something, on top of contributing to his power. I don't know exactly. The drop wasn't a factor though, that just, you know, nearly killed him.

Also, King of the Monsters had a strong opening in Japan and beat both 2014 and Shin Godzilla there. I hear it's doing pretty well in China too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mantis42 posted:

It was the nuke yeah. I think the read is that Mothra’s sacrifice / essence is what helped Godzilla control and channel the reaction into an attack instead him melting down

That’s great! Oh man i can only imagine how fun seeing this movie in Japan with a bunch of Godzilla fans could be

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

THIS was slightly unclear but judging from character dialogue we can surmise what happened.

The nuke overloaded Godzilla and he was going to flat out explode, critical mass style. The drop did nothing one way or the other

What Mothra did was stabilize and help focus that power Godzilla had, helping him release it as atomic pulses rather than just flat out exploding. Probably saved his life doing so.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I just watched today and enjoyed the film a lot.

I had 0 expectations going into this one aside from awesome spectacle and it gave me what I wanted. Godzilla 2014 was a major disappointment to me because the trailers built it up like it'd be a serious horror kaiju film that I was hoping to be some mix of Godzilla 54 and Cloverfield, but instead it was a decent typical kaiju film. And to be fair, right until Bryan Cranston's arc ended, it was basically everything I wanted. And then he died. I still think that type of Kaiju movie would be amazing and probably a fairly unique experience since I don't think it's ever been done in earnest with a major studio and budget.

I was watching KotM with a similar mindset to how I watch John Wick--turned off my critical brain and enjoyed what happened for what it was. A lot of the criticsm I've read both here and online seems to be from people who expected a lot more than a kaiju battle royale movie.

I always thought it was questionable whether these traditional kaiju fight movies could really work the States and if this (and I guess G v KK) turn out to be the last of those movies for a long time here, then I guess I'm fine with it. The human aspects that everyone shits on will always be hard to keep grounded enough to be that sensible. They are what they are, so it's hard to say the market won't dictate itself.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's ironic that "stabilized" Godzilla appears to be literally burning with anger.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's pretty basic shonen that the hero is unstoppable when burning rage is combined with focus, that's basically the principle behind Super Saiyan.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The power up godzilla received resulted in him turning into a world of warcraft mage and just running in circles spamming arcane explosion and hoping his target dies before he does

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Excuse me, he's a BlackCharcoal Mage triple casting Flare.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's pretty basic shonen that the hero is unstoppable when burning rage is combined with focus, that's basically the principle behind Super Saiyan.

That was literally what my son's favorite moment was. "Dad, the best part was when Godzilla went Super Saiyan."

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

My favorite part was Ghidorah falling over

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That was literally what my son's favorite moment was. "Dad, the best part was when Godzilla went Super Saiyan."

Godzilla beat up the big bad guy and all his former enemies became his friends.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Roland Jones posted:

I think one of the things this movie carried over from 2014 is Gareth's Edwards's characterization of Godzilla, comparing him to "the last samurai": "He's an ancient warrior who's the last of his kind, and his kind has long since died out. He lives a very solitary lonely existence and he's very happy to keep away from everyone, but we keep doing things to force him to return and put things right." He's old and battle-scarred and not exactly happy, but he still fights if he has to and still protects those he watches over. Similarly, on the earlier topic, he doesn't show much open affection towards Mothra, but he definitely cares. He's just, again, a grumpy old man.

I buy that. Maybe Kong'll make Godzilla a little less grumpy since he's basically the young, up-and-coming upstart. Kong could give Big G a lil' taste of what it feels like to be young again :3:

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Godzilla beat up the big bad guy and all his former enemies became his friends.

So Godzilla is Luffy

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

teagone posted:

I buy that. Maybe Kong'll make Godzilla a little less grumpy since he's basically the young, up-and-coming upstart. Kong could give Big G a lil' taste of what it feels like to be young again :3:

Godzilla : "Let me tell you something you already know, Kong. The world ain't all sunshine and Mothras. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Godzilla will become Kong's adopted father and Mothra his mother sister.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UIFnOIUoz0&hd=1

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Finally saw it tonight. My old supervisor was on the script team handling the kaiju profiles and research, and I have lots of positive things to say to him. They were handled so well.

Mothra is so good you guys

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What the hell is that Godzilla Earth thing from? Is it really that much bigger than everything else?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its from the anime trilogy and yes he's huge.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I really like the MonsterVerse version of Godzilla as a big, grumpy bear and I kind of hope the ending leads to him feeling like too much of a champ and Kong puts him in his place a little bit.

Speculation-wise, so far we've had the evolution from "King of the Monsters?" in Godzilla '14 to him taking the crown in this film and I feel like the natural conclusion is Kong leveling up to King Kong (maybe after a Godzilla sacrifice?)

At some point I'd definitely like to see Godzilla acting like a mean, grumpy old cat who doesn't realize you're watching, when they roll around in a sunbeam or some poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I rewatched G14 and it's not as good as KOTM, but probably a better disaster movie, if that makes sense.

I also noticed that there's a brief newsreel saying that the nuclear fallout from the offshore detonation appeared to be negligible. While it's true that water bursts don't create as much fallout, I also think they were implying that Godzilla took the energy of the blast to help him wake up after his big fight with the Mutos.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I quite like that they called the ship that the intrepid heroes journey the world in pursuit of the monsters the Argo. It's a touch unfortunate that the only other Odyssey reference (at least that I caught) is one of the unnamed minor monsters being called Scylla in material outside the movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think Scylla was the Cthulhu spider?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Watching Rodan: that scene where the stuntman falls 25 feet into 1.5 feet of water and they just leave it in and go with it, drat.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

So disppointed with KotM. Here and there are some good attempts to transition the retro scenes and elements to the modern context, but they all fall short because of mediocre direction.
It is overcompensating too much for the response to G14. Human characters now have a major role in the plot! Except their plot sucks rear end, is not needed, and some of the characters (the happy idiot family) are just insane. There are monsters doing poo poo in clear all the time! Except we lose most of the scale and terror in favor of not-that-good CGI destruction. No loving stakes at all, all the destruction is barely shown.
Only part of the movie I really enjoyed is Rodan awakening - some great shots and genuine tension for 10-15 minutes.

Having "ecoterrorists" as villains in 2019 is just irresponsible, we are not in the 90s anymore, Tom Clancy has been dead for some time already. But hey we need to use Ospreys so the military is incompetent but not THAT incompetent this time, support the troops!1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012