Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Boot and Rally posted:

This looks like the stuff I buy from a local baker. How do I make this?

higher hydration, stronger flour, better scoring, steam in the oven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Hefty posted:

Is my starter okay?

It's about a week old, 100% hydration. I started feeding it every 12 hours after the first couple days, but it's been about 24 hours since its last feeding and it did this? I don't know if you can tell from the picture but it's got a layer of kind of crusty, dried bubbles.

Should I scoop it off? Toss the whole batch? Mix it in?

You might be tempted by my previous post to take this with a grain of salt, but it’s totally fine if the top dries out a little like that. Just discard the floating crust on the next feeding.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That doesn't seem healthy tbh. How does it smell? I had green mold show up on an attempted to revitalize a scoby which was probably due to cold temps.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Made a sourdough loaf over the weekend, one day I will remember to take crumb shots of something:

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

That doesn't seem healthy tbh. How does it smell? I had green mold show up on an attempted to revitalize a scoby which was probably due to cold temps.

It didn’t smell bad necessarily. Kinda strong though? I’m not sure what it’s supposed to smell like since this is my first time.

I scooped a bunch off the top and fed it and it grew by about a third and looks normal again so maybe it’s fine?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
My starter came back fine. The lumpy white stuff was probably just an excess of yeast poop.

Trust your nose. Strong smell is fine. If it is mouldy you'll know it.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Boot and Rally posted:

This looks like the stuff I buy from a local baker. How do I make this?

it's not too hard but you probably will have to practice at it for a while. the basic recipe is 425g bread flour, 25g white whole wheat, 355g water, 1/4 tsp yeast. mix that together and ferment it over night, you should see some bubbles when you wake up.
measure 10g of salt into it and put about a tbsp of water on that and dimple it into the dough, then squish everything together so the salt is thoroughly mixed in. let it sit for 30 mins, and do a turn and fold on it (if you don't know what turn and fold is, google it) do the 30 mins + turn and fold 3 more times. by the end the skin of the dough should be pretty tight, and on the fourth time you should transfer to a banneton or bowl with a floured kitchen towel in it.
rest it in the towel for a half hr, then preheat a dutch oven inside your oven at 500 deg for 1 hr. so the dough inside the towel has now been rising for 1.5 hrs total. now take the dutch oven out, take the lid off, and drop the dough into the dutch oven. after replacing the lid and putting it back in the oven, bake for 20 mins. remove lid and bake for another 30-40 mins until it's really dark and brown. remove it from the dutch oven and rest it for at least an hour, preferably two, and you should have some nice bread.

the most important advice i can give imo is after you've added the salt you want to be very gentle with the dough so as not to deflate it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Decided that today is a rye day, but was out of malt syrup. Found some powder, though.

Hence, light rye with caraway, onion, and garlic is rising.

Edit:

Probably could have let it rise longer, but I like dense crumb in my rye.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 13, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A friend wanted some Armenian rosemary bread but I couldn't find anything about that (any ideas? probably something more like foccacia or a lavash or something?) so I just made Kenji's better no-knead bread and put a bunch of fresh rosemary in. It's pretty good. The crust is not as thick and crunchy and a bit more tender than last time I did a no knead bread (which was the NYT recipe, IIRC)-what could have caused that? Not sure i like it better or worse, it's just different. I did brush olive oil over the surface of the dough right before I stuck it in the dutch oven so the sea salt would stick better-maybe that made the difference?

Does the same better no-knead bread make decent pizza dough?

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Say I wanted to use a regular no-knead recipe to make rolls. Would there be anything I need to change to make sure they come out right? Or do I just pop em in the dutch oven and bake them for the same length as a regular loaf?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I made some bread from the sourdough starter I started 2 weeks ago. Used King Arthur flour recipe (https://www.kingarthurflour.com/guides/sourdough/bake.html) and made the starter from Trader Joe’s whole wheat flour.

Here are some pics:

Rising starter:

Dough just before cooking:

Hit 210 exactly:

Looks real good:

Crumb shot:

Tastes real good with: butter, salt/olive oil, or Trader Joe’s everything but the bagel sesame seasoning. Crust is good and it’s nice and chewy. Flavor is overall good but not as sour as I was expecting. Start to finish took me 12 hours today.

I love bread.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I just made my first no-knead bread (the Serious Eats Better No-Knead Bread) and aside from having to put it in the fridge at 7 hours instead of 12-16 hours it came out great. (I think my kitchen must be a LOT warmer than Kenji's.) I used to make pizza dough all the time so I'm looking forward to making some pizza with no kneading soon.

Right now, though, I want to make a sandwich loaf, or perhaps a sandwich-like loaf using the no-knead technique. I'm looking for something that general shape, that I can slice for sandwiches. All the recipes I find include sugar in them-- is that just because sandwich bread is usually sweet? I try to avoid added sugar in general right now, so a non-sugar recipe would be good. Should I use a different search term to find bread that can bake in a loaf pan and become generally sandwich-loaf shaped?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I tried the serious eats no knead as pizza dough and it was kind of almost a disaster. Maybe I screwed up somehow (but how?) but it was waaaaay to soft and sticky to work with. I wound up throwing it in the stand mixer for a few minutes with an extra half cup or so of flour and hand kneading for a bit to get it to a more workable texture and then it turned out great.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I tried the serious eats no knead as pizza dough and it was kind of almost a disaster. Maybe I screwed up somehow (but how?) but it was waaaaay to soft and sticky to work with. I wound up throwing it in the stand mixer for a few minutes with an extra half cup or so of flour and hand kneading for a bit to get it to a more workable texture and then it turned out great.

High hydration doughs are indeed trickier to work with, it took me a decent number of hosed up pizzas before I got good with it.

Check out this cool video that shows some tips on how to handle it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEG1BjWroT0

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've been having some issues with burnt bottoms when using the FWSY style dutch oven method. The rest of the crust and crumb turns out great. Any ideas for adjustments to make or mistakes I may be making?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I saw a previous post say to put a sheet pan on the rack below the one your Dutch oven is on. Block the direct heat from the element.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Father’s Day is coming up and my dad loves to bake bread. What’s a good bread baking book to buy him? Are Bread Baker’s Apprentice and FWSY still good?

The only bread cookbook my dad has ever used is Beard On Bread by James Beard. I don’t know if knowledge has changed since that was written, but if nothing else I’d like something with a ton of good recipes for him to try.

EDIT: I’m also gonna get him a Baking Steel.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
FWSY + plastic mixing/rising bin and a dutch oven if he doesn't already have one

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I. M. Gei posted:

Father’s Day is coming up and my dad loves to bake bread. What’s a good bread baking book to buy him? Are Bread Baker’s Apprentice and FWSY still good?

The only bread cookbook my dad has ever used is Beard On Bread by James Beard. I don’t know if knowledge has changed since that was written, but if nothing else I’d like something with a ton of good recipes for him to try.

Bread bakers apprentice is a really solid read

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kenshin posted:

FWSY + plastic mixing/rising bin and a dutch oven if he doesn't already have one

w00tmonger posted:

Bread bakers apprentice is a really solid read

drat, Dad specifically told me to only get him one book. FWSY seems to go into more detail about the basics of bread, while Bread Baker’s Apprentice looks like it has more variety in its recipes.

If I had to only get one, which of these should I pick?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I have and love Artisan Breads Every Day by Reinhart. He wrote it 8 years after TBBA and it repeats some of his favourite recipes from that book with a bunch of new stuff. The ease of its recipes and the flexibility of its methods and timing suit me very well.

But I don't have FWSY so I can't compare for you.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I. M. Gei posted:

Seconding Kenshin here, skip the steel and get a Dutch oven if he doesn't have one already. The Lodge combo cooker is what I've got and it works particularly well since it's so much easier to get the dough into a shallow pan than it is to lower it into a deep pot.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Finally back to baking now that the weather's gotten warmer.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Jimbozig posted:

I have and love Artisan Breads Every Day by Reinhart. He wrote it 8 years after TBBA and it repeats some of his favourite recipes from that book with a bunch of new stuff. The ease of its recipes and the flexibility of its methods and timing suit me very well.

But I don't have FWSY so I can't compare for you.

Well great now I have 3 titles to pick from.

Stringent posted:

Seconding Kenshin here, skip the steel and get a Dutch oven if he doesn't have one already. The Lodge combo cooker is what I've got and it works particularly well since it's so much easier to get the dough into a shallow pan than it is to lower it into a deep pot.

He already has a Dutch oven, and it’s a Lodge cast iron. I don’t know if it’s this exact one, but it’s close.

EDIT: Actually I think he has at least two Dutch ovens.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 5, 2019

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Well great now I have 3 titles to pick from.

I have all 3 and if I had to pick only one, it would be FWSY.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

He also did a 15th Anniversary update of TBBA a couple years back with some updates and a couple new recipes.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I. M. Gei posted:

He already has a Dutch oven, and it’s a Lodge cast iron. I don’t know if it’s this exact one, but it’s close.

In that case, assuming y'all have a decent scale, the next things I'd get are one or two bannetons, a lame for scoring and a decent bench scraper.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Speaking of scales, mine is on its last legs. Anyone have a recommendation?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If you look at the equipment thread there are really two options - the kd-8000 or the maestro. I have an oxo one which I'd like to replace but it still works so :confuoot:

Maestro

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Stringent posted:

In that case, assuming y'all have a decent scale, the next things I'd get are one or two bannetons, a lame for scoring and a decent bench scraper.

Dad requested the baking steel, and I already ordered it. Although if those other things are cheap, I may be able to add them.

And yeah we already have a good scale, a KD-8000.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Definitely get the scraper and bannetons if you don't own them already, they're cheap and make things so much easier that I consider them almost required.

A lame is a nice-to-have if you like fancy scoring, but I personally just let the natural cracks form, it's a more "rustic" look.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made a lame from a double edged razor blade and a chopstick.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

What can I do with self rising flour beyond biscuits and cakes? There any loaves that also use yeast alongside self rising flour?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I made a lame from a double edged razor blade and a chopstick.

I’ve got a lame, and maybe I’m using it wrong but I get better results with a wet bread knife.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Liquid Communism posted:

Speaking of scales, mine is on its last legs. Anyone have a recommendation?

get the maestro, it is strictly an upgrade from the kd8000
1) softer touch buttons, with a more responsive ui
2) more pleasing beeps
3) better form factor, with a slightly larger weighing platform and less vertical height
4) it shows you how close to overloading the scale you are, so you don't damage it
5) detachable display
6) slide-out 0.1g scale
7) it's all black so that's obviously a huge perk

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

I’ve got a lame, and maybe I’m using it wrong but I get better results with a wet bread knife.

The curve of the razor makes a huge difference in my experience. I always end up snagging when I used a straight blade, no matter how sharp. Plus I feel like I have more control over the shape and depth of the cuts with the lame.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The curve of the razor makes a huge difference in my experience. I always end up snagging when I used a straight blade, no matter how sharp. Plus I feel like I have more control over the shape and depth of the cuts with the lame.

Yep.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Hold the blade at an angle so it acts like a guillotine, and slash decisively.

Or use scissors. Whatever works.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Some breads just need different things.
The one place I used to work we used a lame for most everything except for a cranberry-walnut bread for that we used a serrated knife like this
https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...CFYmLyAodPqEJQQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone have any tasty, easy, healthy bread recipes? Also, if I just want to make the NYT no-knead recipe more healthy can I just use wheat flour?
And I will hi knives asked this before but has anyone made wheat sourdough?

I like the big round crusty loaves if that helps at all?

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 14, 2019