Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

Smoking owns. I miss smoking.

Samesies.

Though I grew up in a household where adults smoked inside. I heard complaints about the smell of cigarettes in clothes and poo poo and honestly never understood it because I had already been around it. Only after I quit did I get the smell of cigarettes on clothes and yes it’s loving nasty.

I do still like the smell of it in the air.

Also I feel bad because I didn’t get the greece toddler joke...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Germany has a huge say in EU monetary policy which negatively affects Greece.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ron Jeremy posted:

Samesies.

Though I grew up in a household where adults smoked inside. I heard complaints about the smell of cigarettes in clothes and poo poo and honestly never understood it because I had already been around it. Only after I quit did I get the smell of cigarettes on clothes and yes it’s loving nasty.

I do still like the smell of it in the air.

the stereotype is pitbulls left alone with toddlers will hurt the toddler, and germany has major authority when the EU dictates things like national bailout plans for countries like greece

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's really bad for you and they all grew up knowing that.

young people, famous for making wise decisions and obeying their parents

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Other vices are actually fun though. Being drunk is fun. Gambling is exciting. Doing drugs is entertaining. Gluttony means you get to taste delicious food constantly. Smoking is just regular living, but worse, and you smell bad and have less money and can't climb a flight of stairs and cough disgusting poo poo up constantly.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Then don't smoke

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nicotine is a pleasurable and addictive stimulant. It’s a drug to do. It feels good to do the drug; to smoke a cigarette.

I’m not really sure how any functioning adult would be confused by this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's abnormal to be a smoker at virgil and felix's age. kinda why i made the comment.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Socialized medicine for everyone except smokers, just to spite you all

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
help people are telling me a thing is fun but I don't think it's fun so they must be stupid or lying what is happening :shepface:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1135902560055943168

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Goast posted:

help people are telling me a thing is fun but I don't think it's fun so they must be stupid or lying what is happening :shepface:

This also applies to Cum Town

Good little tea pig

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

nicotine from cigarettes helps you stay conscious when you're drunk so you can keep drinking longer, also if you pass out with a lit cigarette in your hand you may burn yourself and wake up so you can drink more

i mean have you met a smoker under 40 who doesn't have 'raging alcoholic' somewhere in their resume?

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Berlin was one of their better live shows, honestly the college shows where they just list every famous rear end in a top hat who ever graduated from that school are very tedious to me.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
And the mic quality on their Cornell episode was complete dogshit.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I spoke to a real life Iraqi dinar investor today. Insists that when the US stops paying for Iraq, they'll tie their currency to oil and blah blah blah Kuwait did it something something

Oh did I mention he's my neighbor?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Which ep did they talk about the parkland security guard who didn't go into the school

Asking as apparently he's now living the plot of Paths Of Glory

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011
i used to pick trash as my job and smokers sucked. they get everywhere and are a pain to pick up. plus about once a week some nob in a suit would flick a butt at me or on the floor in front of me while making eye contact.

public drinkers very good, would mostly dispose of their cans properly and would often ask me where they should put their trash. friendly. 5 stars.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The frat houses on my walk to work have piles of trash in the yard after every party. They won't even put out some plastic trash cans to throw their cans in, they just drop them on the ground for their landscapers to clean up. It's obscene, and I hate them.

sexpig by night posted:

the stereotype is pitbulls left alone with toddlers will hurt the toddler, and germany has major authority when the EU dictates things like national bailout plans for countries like greece
Of course they're actually bailing out Greece's creditors, many of whom are German, so it's a cool cup-and-ball trick where they get to rob their taxpayers blind and blame Greece instead of capitalism.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 5, 2019

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Of course they're actually bailing out Greece's creditors, many of whom are German, so it's a cool cup-and-ball trick where they get to rob their taxpayers blind and blame Greece instead of capitalism.

Could you elaborate on this or point to some writing about it? I had no idea.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

german banks own greek debt, not greece itself. any bailout would go to the creditors, just like instead of paying people's mortgages here in the states in 2008 they just wrote a trillion-dollar check to wells fargo

US minority homeowners and greece also had the opportunity to be blamed as causes because of a propensity to be lazy and overspend

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I have a briefcase and wish it to be filled with Iraqi Dinars. Is that an investment I can make for less than $50 and, ideally, without having to talk to more than one weird dinar guy?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

SlimGoodbody posted:

Other vices are actually fun though. Being drunk is fun. Gambling is exciting. Doing drugs is entertaining. Gluttony means you get to taste delicious food constantly. Smoking is just regular living, but worse, and you smell bad and have less money and can't climb a flight of stairs and cough disgusting poo poo up constantly.

i enjoy smoking while drinking, even if, like drinking, i usually regret it the next day.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the upshots to vaping are that your clothes don't smell like they've been fumigated and you avoid the dreaded smoker's cough

that cough is the absolute worst poo poo. everything else about vaping is lame as poo poo though

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Victory Position posted:

the upshots to vaping are that your clothes don't smell like they've been fumigated and you avoid the dreaded smoker's cough

that cough is the absolute worst poo poo. everything else about vaping is lame as poo poo though

It delivers the fix. So that’s a plus too. It’s not as satisfying as cigarettes, but it will get the job done, and you can use it inside without any stank so you don’t have to go outside for your habit during a blizzard.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
We should make vapers go outside.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Could you elaborate on this or point to some writing about it? I had no idea.
"Big" Dick Wolff's writeup goes into the details and into the irony of Germany complaining about bailouts going back to 19th century imperialism.

There's an Economic Update episode where he sums it up, but I found a video that's just as good or better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwf9bKyX1Q8

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

regular cig smoke doesn't bother me too much unless it's being blown directly into my face, but there's something about that massive cloud that comes off a vape pen that's incredibly off-putting (it also doesnt help that vapers are 100% likely to look like dorks)

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
walking past a nerd surrounded by a cloud of bubble gum vapor sometimes: i hate it with my life. guillotine
a million 60 years olds in hospice , famlies crying, phillip morris rich etc: i can see that the fix is a plus

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Why is this confusing to Goons?

Both of my parents will die early from the addiction, I can't smell them because I'm anosmic, and I have better stimulants on prescription...

but smoking looks cool as hell, even for dorks

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Flat Daddy posted:

walking past a nerd surrounded by a cloud of bubble gum vapor sometimes: i hate it with my life. guillotine
a million 60 years olds in hospice , famlies crying, phillip morris rich etc: i can see that the fix is a plus

There is no bigger affront imagineable to a typical goon than to offend their aesthetic sensibilities

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Analytic Engine posted:

Why is this confusing?

Both my parents are going to die early from smoking, I can't smell the drat things because I'm anosmic, and I have better stimulants on prescription, but smoking looks cool.

All those people have the advantage of already being cool. Most people smoking IRL just look like they’re having a bad day. Now, one could argue that no cool person could possibly be having a good day with the state of things, but that’s for another topic.

This is easily my lamest opinion but I stand by it.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

All those people have the advantage of already being cool. Most people smoking IRL just look like they’re having a bad day. Now, one could argue that no cool person could possibly be having a good day with the state of things, but that’s for another topic.

This is easily my lamest opinion but I stand by it.

Have you tried walking around NYC/SF/etc while talking with influential people you've bummed a cigarette off?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Analytic Engine posted:

Why is this confusing to Goons?

Both of my parents will die early from the addiction, I can't smell them because I'm anosmic, and I have better stimulants on prescription...

but smoking looks cool as hell, even for dorks

Jack Nicholson's smoking in Chinatown is really good.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Coolest smoking guy:

Also I like to smoke, I like the smell and I like the feeling of drawing it into my lungs despite all my family being non-smokers and strongly disapproving of it.
It's still not worth it but my point is that there's an appeal to it beyond it looking cool.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it smells bad.

https://twitter.com/DouthatNYT/status/1136267361638653952
https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1136274489883398145

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

only cigarettes you should smoke are the jazz ones friends

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Grevling posted:

Coolest smoking guy:

Also I like to smoke, I like the smell and I like the feeling of drawing it into my lungs despite all my family being non-smokers and strongly disapproving of it.
It's still not worth it but my point is that there's an appeal to it beyond it looking cool.

As someone who can't smell it and doesn't feel the high, I agree that there's an undeniable appeal. For me it's having a "thing" to interrupt my motormouth and to occupy my twitchy hands. It's the ultimate hand-filler, besides a knife or gun or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That's why the healthier and cooler thing is to be constantly disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling a gun