Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Jersey poncho is a weird idea but I'll wait to see it in action before I judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Imagine the flow when you get up to speed with a poncho on!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Yeah but if it ever starts raining inside the rink, we'll be set.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Who is in charge of bringing the pucks and bottles of Jack Daniels for the bench.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Habibi posted:

Yeah but if it ever starts raining inside the rink, we'll be set.

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen it happen

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Got a hard no from the league head about letting our old captain back. I actually prepared documents for my case, throwing stats and common sense at him, even tried appealing to his emotions. He actually agreed with all my points, but he shot me down with "I already wrote in print to the entire league that he's too good to remain in it, and I can't go back on my word." So I guess he's too proud to admit a mistake. He did say he'd reconsider allowing him in next session, and he also said he'd find a relatively-high replacement to fill the roster spot, so at least it wasn't entirely in vain.

The team decided that if he's not allowed back next session, we'll be moving to a different rink. MB just added a D-League and they also have a C2-League, which would be awesome for me because I live much closer to MB than where we currently play.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

jesus christ, man

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If you have a violation in one USA Hockey league, then they can suspend you from ALL USA Hockey leagues you're in, so they can really drop the hammer on those players.

Good punishment for the dick parents/coach, but the kids are 12, they don't know nothin'. Hate to see them miss out on hockey because the grown-ups are idiots.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Sports parents are always 10,000 times worse than the kids.

I got drilled in the head by a teammate who decided to try the world's longest and highest stretch pass. I'm okay but man I wasn't expecting that.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Got a hard no from the league head about letting our old captain back. I actually prepared documents for my case, throwing stats and common sense at him, even tried appealing to his emotions. He actually agreed with all my points, but he shot me down with "I already wrote in print to the entire league that he's too good to remain in it, and I can't go back on my word." So I guess he's too proud to admit a mistake. He did say he'd reconsider allowing him in next session, and he also said he'd find a relatively-high replacement to fill the roster spot, so at least it wasn't entirely in vain.
Get another meeting and bring the stats for everyone from other teams similar to your guy and insist they be removed, too. Scorched earth on the league.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Sports parents are always 10,000 times worse than the kids.

For sure.

I have a couple kids that I notice are really hard on themselves if they make a mistake, so I'm always Nice Chill Coach that just wants everyone to have fun. Hopefully it's not the parents telling them how they hosed up.

Side story - Last night one of the kids was joking around and said he was going to check me when I played D during his 2-on-one drill, sure enough he passes to the other forward and lays into me. Of course he's like 2 feet shorter and 100 pounds lighter, so he bounces off and falls down, so I stood over him lightly cross checked him to keep him down. He just laid there like he was dead while the other coaches cheered me on and his teammates were pointing gloves at me like there's a ref around.

So much fun skating with those kids. :3:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pleads posted:

Get another meeting and bring the stats for everyone from other teams similar to your guy and insist they be removed, too. Scorched earth on the league.

I didn't want to throw anyone under the bus. I just went to bat for my captain. He made me the captain when he was removed and I figured I owed it to him to try as hard as I could to get him back. We were an expansion team last season. He created and drafted the original team and then had it unceremoniously ripped from him after a single season, in which we came in 3rd place out of 8, so it's not like we were world-beaters with him on the roster. The 2nd place team also had their best player removed, but the 1st place team, the team that's made the finals 5 consecutive seasons, remained untouched, probably because their best player happens to work for the rink. :thunk:

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I didn't want to throw anyone under the bus. I just went to bat for my captain. He made me the captain when he was removed and I figured I owed it to him to try as hard as I could to get him back. We were an expansion team last season. He created and drafted the original team and then had it unceremoniously ripped from him after a single season, in which we came in 3rd place out of 8, so it's not like we were world-beaters with him on the roster. The 2nd place team also had their best player removed, but the 1st place team, the team that's made the finals 5 consecutive seasons, remained untouched, probably because their best player happens to work for the rink. :thunk:

Yeah dude, seems extra skeezy. Maybe someone higher up really doesn't like the guy and has it out for him, at least that's what it sounds like. I could see if you guys were in first and won the ship, but sheesh.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pleads posted:

you almost got me, you fucker

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The team decided that if he's not allowed back next session, we'll be moving to a different rink. MB just added a D-League and they also have a C2-League, which would be awesome for me because I live much closer to MB than where we currently play.

Have you tried breaking someone's stick?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

reading that quote again the whole “I guess he’s too proud to admit he made a mistake” is such a level of complete insanity in several ways. it’s really hard to fathom

agree w/ the breaking sticks bit.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

sellouts posted:

reading that quote again the whole “I guess he’s too proud to admit he made a mistake” is such a level of complete insanity in several ways. it’s really hard to fathom

agree w/ the breaking sticks bit.

He said I was right about all the points I made, but still said no because it'd make him look bad to the league to change his mind, so being too proud to admit he made a mistake is exactly what it is.

You also flipped your poo poo when I said we "made a deep playoff run" last season, so maybe you should chill out and stop hyperbolizing everything.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ok buddy, totally

you gonna break my stick now, bro?

edit “unceremoniously ripped” missed this non-hyperbolized gem

sellouts fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 5, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

we're approaching poo poo in a glove territory actually

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

sellouts posted:

you gonna break my stick now, bro?

I'll get Bootcha to do it, since he was the one who suggested it in the first place.

If people don't want to hear about rink drama, then fine, I'll stop posting about it. But I'm not gonna feel bad about standing up for my teammate.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

we're approaching poo poo in a glove territory actually

Still one of the funniest things I have read.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYsQhRdvzAA

oh my god their ankles

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Poop glove kills me every time I remember it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bewbies posted:

oh my god their ankles

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My interpretation is we all have really weak ankles and use our skates as crutches!

I had a coach for a couple year that would come out on the ice with his laces loose all the way to the toes and he was still demonstrating crossovers. Now THAT's a drill.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wow don't doxx me.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i mean, i usually dont tie my skates when i go out for public sessions with the kids or something, but even untied modern skates support your ankles just fine

those old skates look like they actively work against your ankles working properly

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Wow apparently I've been using 1930s gear this whole time.

Minus the clear excruciating ankle pain anyway.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 5, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

those old skates look like they actively work against your ankles working properly

That's what's interesting to me, people skated in them just fine 80 years ago. Even in the 70's "ankle support" was still a new idea and NHL players got along ok.

Not to start a "kids are weak these days!!" type of argument but I'd be curious to know how loving beefy the ankles of professional players were back then.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Not to start a "kids are weak these days!!" type of argument but I'd be curious to know how loving beefy the ankles of professional players were back then.

thinly veiled Paul Coffey foot fetish request, imo

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

well the skates are old as poo poo so probably offered a bit less support than 80 years ago

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You know the first person to wear that 1/4" strip of leather across their temples was considered a huge pansy.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Pleads posted:

You know the first person to wear that 1/4" strip of leather across their temples was considered a huge pansy.

I just YouTube's a 1930's hockey game to see how well players skated. They're pretty loving good.

Also some guy gets cross-checked to the back of the head loving hard, with no helmet obviously, after the play and the commentator just goes "oh there's a knock to the ol' noggin'" like it's nothing.

gently caress me.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

bgreman posted:

It's beyond time that I buy new skates, but I have a question.

If I wear 2011 Bauer Vapors in a certain size right now, how likely is it that a 2017 Bauer Vapor (I think a higher tier than my current ones, which are mid-tier) will fit similarly in the same size? There's a great deal on hockeyworld for them right now but I'd prefer not to pull the trigger unless I can have some fit assurance. I suppose I could try to go to my LHS and see if they have a pair of this skate in this size and try 'em on, but if that's not strictly necessary I might just spend the money.

I called my LHS and they actually had the exact pair from the website in stock. Tried em on today and bought em.

Super hyped to try em out on Friday.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
The first goalie to wear a mask full-time in the NHL was in 1959 and there were goalies not wearing masks in the NHL all the way through 1974. :psyduck:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Summer drop in starts this Sunday! Finally! I miss playing hockey.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

That's what's interesting to me, people skated in them just fine 80 years ago.

Better than fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDmc6n79ek0

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
whooooo boy gently caress having that ice-sweeper job there at the end though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems like it'd be good HIIT to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

Seems like it'd be good HIIT to me.

Well sure, if you're into that sorta thing!

I, on the other hand, am loving lazy.