Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm looking forward to the eventual tweet where some homophone announces he's quitting Budweiser and moving on to a different brand, which is also owned by Budweiser.

I'm too lazy but pretend I posted hbomberguy's Woke Brands video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel like Budweiser just checkmated a bunch of MAGAhats

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah Batman isn’t that much I was wrong. Someone somewheres said they redubbed the gun sounds on the 4K though from the original? Is that true?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

By the way, checked out a North Atlanta Goodwill and found The Mack and The Doberman Gang on DVD. They had a ton of hilariously bad bootlegs, including one of Return of the Jedi's despecialized cut.

(Also found the first editions of Dr. Strangelove and Eyes Wide Shut, which I might use in a video essay sometime)

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
To play devil's advocate, this Babadook release is only a part of Shout Factory's Pride sale. Which does highlight a lot of Shout's history of Queer/Camp/Feminist releases. Including, yes, Vincent Price, Clive Barker, John Waters, etc. Though navigability and discovery doesn't help when they're arbitrarily split up by several seasons of That Girl, Designing Women, and The Nanny. And not to mention the very strenuous connection some releases have to Pride (Death Becomes Her?). The Babadook is the exception, being the only Pride exclusive release as well as not being on sale.

Plus, it doesn't seem Shout is the most eggrigous example of a history of Homophoboa/Transphobia/Queer Bashing. Maybe opportunistic, and maybe it's kinda lovely to profit off a group who has historically suffered. Or, maybe their history of niche queer/queer-adjacent titles is motivated by individuals wanting to champion them for Art's sake. I don't know, I am certainly open to hearing stronger arguments.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

And not to mention the very strenuous connection some releases have to Pride (Death Becomes Her?).
Death Becomes Her has kinda slow-burned into the gay consciousness in the last ten years and has become iconic. I like to think it's due to the fact that Isabella Rossellini is on loving fire for the entire performance, but others might feel otherwise.

Also young Isabella Rossellini and young Dave Foley are interchangeable.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SomeJazzyRat posted:

To play devil's advocate, this Babadook release is only a part of Shout Factory's Pride sale. Which does highlight a lot of Shout's history of Queer/Camp/Feminist releases. Including, yes, Vincent Price, Clive Barker, John Waters, etc. Though navigability and discovery doesn't help when they're arbitrarily split up by several seasons of That Girl, Designing Women, and The Nanny. And not to mention the very strenuous connection some releases have to Pride (Death Becomes Her?). The Babadook is the exception, being the only Pride exclusive release as well as not being on sale.

Plus, it doesn't seem Shout is the most eggrigous example of a history of Homophoboa/Transphobia/Queer Bashing. Maybe opportunistic, and maybe it's kinda lovely to profit off a group who has historically suffered. Or, maybe their history of niche queer/queer-adjacent titles is motivated by individuals wanting to champion them for Art's sake. I don't know, I am certainly open to hearing stronger arguments.

I'm guess I'm not mad specifically at Shout Factory, although the Bababook thing is some serious "How do you do, fellow kids?" poo poo. It's the trend in general.

caligulamprey posted:

Death Becomes Her has kinda slow-burned into the gay consciousness in the last ten years and has become iconic. I like to think it's due to the fact that Isabella Rossellini is on loving fire for the entire performance, but others might feel otherwise.

Also young Isabella Rossellini and young Dave Foley are interchangeable.

It also has Meryl Streep chewing the poo poo out of the scenery and 90% of the movie is catty insults and poo poo. I love that movie for all kinds of reasons though. I'm sure plenty of drag queens use the characters in that movie as models. Again, I'm not mad at Shout, I just think the Babadook thing is tacky and stupid and to me represents an issue I have, but that list of movies is very much poo poo that homos like so they obviously put thought into it. I still take issue with how little regard trans and non-binary people get in regards to things like this, but unfortunately they're extremely under represented in film and television. And when they are represented it's almost always in A Tragic Story much like gay men used to be until fairly recently.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 4, 2019

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

CPL593H posted:

I'm guess I'm not mad specifically at Shout Factory, although the Bababook thing is some serious "How do you do, fellow kids?" poo poo. It's the trend in general.

That's fair. I just thought the conversation was working on a bit of misinformation. Plus, I thought the ripping on the Babadook, Special (-ly changed sleeve and nothing else) Edition, was kinda analogous to ripping on Furries when there's Nazis in the White House.

Certainly conceded that it is semi-cringy meme stuff. On a scale of 1 (The original, unaltered Steamed Hams scene) to 10 (Squishy Daddy Emoji Rant), it's a 2. Maybe 2.5

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Is there a good US release of Hellraiser 1 and 2? I watched them as a kid during an extended hospital stay and want to rewatch them.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Mahasamatman posted:

Is there a good US release of Hellraiser 1 and 2? I watched them as a kid during an extended hospital stay and want to rewatch them.

There's a "Horror Classics" 2 pack with both for 15 bucks. The transfers are ports of the "Midnight Madness" blu rays from a couple of years earlier, and are good quality.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn’t the Arrow boxset pretty good?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mahasamatman posted:

Watching Hellraiser II as a kid in a hospital must have been an interesting experience.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Empress Brosephine posted:

Isn’t the Arrow boxset pretty good?

And also out of print. I’m not spending $150-$250 for Hellraiser

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Honestly, just give me Hellraiser II. That movie is filthy dirty.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Is there a good blu Ray of come drink with me? I can’t make heads or tails of the situation on that one and I’d like a nicer copy than a garbage tier dvd or the dubbed streaming version on android

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Is there a good blu Ray of come drink with me? I can’t make heads or tails of the situation on that one and I’d like a nicer copy than a garbage tier dvd or the dubbed streaming version on android

Is the dvd really garbage tier? I haven't watched that one but have been watching a few Shaw Bros dvds lately and the Celestial Pictures restorations are usually pretty good.

Anyway, looks like there are cheap blu-rays to import from Germany or Japan per blu-ray.com. The German release has English subs, but is 1080/50i and region b. The Japanese will be region a, but have no English subs and according to the site is mpeg-2 lol.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Come-Drink-with-Me-Blu-ray/184982/
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Come-Drink-with-Me-Blu-ray/75521/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

And also out of print. I’m not spending $150-$250 for Hellraiser

I'm amused that people would pay those prices to own the third and fourth Hellraiser movies.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

Is the dvd really garbage tier? I haven't watched that one but have been watching a few Shaw Bros dvds lately and the Celestial Pictures restorations are usually pretty good.

Anyway, looks like there are cheap blu-rays to import from Germany or Japan per blu-ray.com. The German release has English subs, but is 1080/50i and region b. The Japanese will be region a, but have no English subs and according to the site is mpeg-2 lol.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Come-Drink-with-Me-Blu-ray/184982/
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Come-Drink-with-Me-Blu-ray/75521/

Woof, thanks but I guess that means not really then

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Woof, thanks but I guess that means not really then

Yeah the blu-ray situation when it comes to Shaw Bros stuff is really sad

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg

CPL593H posted:

Watching Hellraiser II as a kid in a hospital must have been an interesting experience.

Yeah I was having bone marrow biopsies and LP's and it was comforting to see someone confined in a tight space get stabbed with needles.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn’t know it was out of print wow.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

Yeah the blu-ray situation when it comes to Shaw Bros stuff is really sad

I just introduced a friend to King Hu through the criterion channel, but he’s very anti dub so I was hopeful for a blu of come drink with me. I saw it in a local theatre last year and it looked great, so I was hoping that meant there might be a good transfer.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mahasamatman posted:

Yeah I was having bone marrow biopsies and LP's and it was comforting to see someone confined in a tight space get stabbed with needles.

I meant because a lot of the movie happens in a hospital.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I just introduced a friend to King Hu through the criterion channel, but he’s very anti dub so I was hopeful for a blu of come drink with me. I saw it in a local theatre last year and it looked great, so I was hoping that meant there might be a good transfer.

As far as I know there haven't been any restorations of the Shaw catalog since the early 00s, so even what stuff there is on blu-ray I would expect to come from the same source as any dvds. There's a number of Chang Cheh and Lau Kar-leung movies I'd kill to see get a proper hd release. I was actually just last night comparing right next to each other the dvd and prime video (i think hd, it says 7gb/hr on the quality settings) for My Young Auntie and the video looked pretty much the same to me with the dvd audio sounding a little better. Also, My Young Auntie is a great action comedy and the Prime version is not dubbed like a lot of their Shaw Bros stuff is. It's not Dirty Ho level great, but a good time.

For King Hu specifically, a couple more of his Taiwan movies have been restored. Kino put out the US blu-ray of Legend of the Mountain last year and it's usually quite affordable. Less of an action movie but I love it, the restoration is beautiful and it's probably the best example of King Hu as nature photographer. And The Fate of Lee Khan has a new restoration touring now, I think a blu-ray is supposed to be out this summer. That one is basically Dragon Inn 2 and is also great. I'd love to see a new restoration of Raining in the Mountain (he shot it and Legend in Korea at the same time) or The Valiant Ones (because it's so hard to see) but I expect this is all we'll get.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

As far as I know there haven't been any restorations of the Shaw catalog since the early 00s, so even what stuff there is on blu-ray I would expect to come from the same source as any dvds. There's a number of Chang Cheh and Lau Kar-leung movies I'd kill to see get a proper hd release. I was actually just last night comparing right next to each other the dvd and prime video (i think hd, it says 7gb/hr on the quality settings) for My Young Auntie and the video looked pretty much the same to me with the dvd audio sounding a little better. Also, My Young Auntie is a great action comedy and the Prime version is not dubbed like a lot of their Shaw Bros stuff is. It's not Dirty Ho level great, but a good time.

For King Hu specifically, a couple more of his Taiwan movies have been restored. Kino put out the US blu-ray of Legend of the Mountain last year and it's usually quite affordable. Less of an action movie but I love it, the restoration is beautiful and it's probably the best example of King Hu as nature photographer. And The Fate of Lee Khan has a new restoration touring now, I think a blu-ray is supposed to be out this summer. That one is basically Dragon Inn 2 and is also great. I'd love to see a new restoration of Raining in the Mountain (he shot it and Legend in Korea at the same time) or The Valiant Ones (because it's so hard to see) but I expect this is all we'll get.

Thanks for the rundown, I’ve only seen Touch of Zen, Dragon In , and Come Drink With Me so I’ll defintiely hunt down Legend and Lee Khan when I can

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not physical, but since we're talking about 4k Batman,
It seems like the BM '89 4k on iTunes is a new entry and isn't updating my existing version :(
(the others are probably similar, but I didn't have those on digital)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not physical, but since we're talking about 4k Batman,
It seems like the BM '89 4k on iTunes is a new entry and isn't updating my existing version :(
(the others are probably similar, but I didn't have those on digital)

Lol wasn’t half the advantage of buying movies on iTunes supposed to be free 4K upgrades as they are available?

Edit: might want to recheck that. I just checked and Batman + Batman Returns were upgraded on my account.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 5, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So yea Batman 4k is pretty stunning, and based on the reviews on bluray.com I'm expecting more of the same from Batman Returns when I watch it later.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I got my shipping notice from vinegar Syndrome!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

So yea Batman 4k is pretty stunning, and based on the reviews on bluray.com I'm expecting more of the same from Batman Returns when I watch it later.

Batman 4k is one of the best looking transfers I've ever seen.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Batman 4k is one of the best looking transfers I've ever seen.

But the covers are so ugly :(

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So Shout Factory is releasing Vampires in September. What sort of waiting period have they done before releasing a steelbook in the past? All the rest of my Carpenter stuff, minus BTLC, is in steelbooks and I'd prefer not buying it twice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

On the other hand, the spines have a matching look to the Nolan Batman trilogy, so they look really nice on my shelf all lined up next to each other.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

On the other hand, the spines have a matching look to the Nolan Batman trilogy, so they look really nice on my shelf all lined up next to each other.

That makes me dislike them even more!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

That makes me dislike them even more!

Really? I love that, having all Batman movies lined up like that on my shelf and they look like they're all from the same set. Very satisfying to my movie OCD.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Really? I love that, having all Batman movies lined up like that on my shelf and they look like they're all from the same set. Very satisfying to my movie OCD.

I'm just not that big of a fan of the nolan movies.

Though, to be honest, knowing these new transfers are really well done makes me want to pick up the first two.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber has a sale going on until the 16th:
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/junesale19

Surprisingly, it's their mainline stuff rather than Studio Classics. Lots of silents, arthouse, and international cinema.

Also, Masters of Cinema will be re-releasing its triple-feature Buster Keaton set in August. I'm guessing in plain packaging (like Man with a Movie Camera), but a good alternative to the almost bare-bones US Cohen discs. Hopefully they have more volumes on the way.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

Surprisingly, it's their mainline stuff rather than Studio Classics. Lots of silents, arthouse, and international cinema.

Also, Masters of Cinema will be re-releasing its triple-feature Buster Keaton set in August. I'm guessing in plain packaging (like Man with a Movie Camera), but a good alternative to the almost bare-bones US Cohen discs. Hopefully they have more volumes on the way.

I'd really appreciate if you didn't post stuff like this because now that Fritz Lang boxset, La Chinoise, Battleship Potemkin and La Gai Savior are all being shipped to my house.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

There's a box set that looks better coming in a couple months!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

Oh man I wish I could get these but they won't ship to Australia. I'd recommend everyone pick up the Sinful Nuns of St Valentine, it's a great example of the batshit crazy Nunsploitation genre.