Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How many athletes will ever have a comparable career to him, at least in longevity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

iospace posted:

How many athletes will ever have a comparable career to him, at least in longevity.

Hockey has a fair amount of dudes like Messier

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

iospace posted:

It's amazing esp given his playstyle was conducive to having your knees explode at some point between the age of 28-32.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

morestuff posted:

Hockey has a fair amount of dudes like Messier

That's true, but I'd say Jagr more than Messier. Baseball also tends to have players last a long time, but it's also due to the fact it's not as high impact as the other three majors sports (but it's a much longer season).

For what it's worth, Jagr also had more epic hair :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

There will never be another Half Man Half Amazing, but only him, Kevin Garnett, Kevin Willis, Robert Parish, and Dirk have played 21 seasons. I might be counting wrong, but I'm pretty sure playing through next year would mean he's the only player in history to play for 22 seasons.

edit: If papa Glen hasn't hosed everything up, KG would probably still be playing :mad:

scuz fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 5, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Things will never be the same

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It's amazing esp given his playstyle was conducive to having your knees explode at some point between the age of 28-32.

I remember thinking around the time he left the Nets that he would probably be hanging it up soon. That was like a decade ago

also am I crazy or wasn't Vince considered kinda fragile in Toronto? He might've been one of the last guys I'd pick from his generation to stick around this long

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
pj tucker provides Veteran Leadership

https://twitter.com/adamspolane/status/1136298981514993665?s=21

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Jerry Rice's career always blows me away. 20 seasons as a wide receiver is just... insane.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Again this is reports from talk radio so apologies but Romana Shelburne (whose source is probably Gail Benson) basically said the Lakers/AD deal would be done if the trade deadline offer (Kuzma/Ingram/Ball/Hart) was still on the table. Which implies it isn't anymore.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

KAJ is the effective longevity goat. Stop forgetting KAJ.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Again this is reports from talk radio so apologies but Romana Shelburne (whose source is probably Gail Benson) basically said the Lakers/AD deal would be done if the trade deadline offer (Kuzma/Ingram/Ball/Hart) was still on the table. Which implies it isn't anymore.

man what are the Lakers doing

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I guess they’re just trying to reset the narrative if they feel like they aren’t going to get him? Or something?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

There should be an mpg minimum to use this emoji https://twitter.com/bismackbiyombo/status/1136450107509895168?s=21

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The Blake eyepop emoji from the other day turned out to be him trolling.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

man what are the Lakers doing

Well they're TRYING to negotiate. Whether or not that's a good idea or not, well. . . .

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByWE1ekAqTI
Zhaire is killing it with the endorsements

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

KAJ is the effective longevity goat. Stop forgetting KAJ.

I have heard it suggested John Stockton would've played basically forever if it weren't for Mark Jackson poisoning the locker room and making playing no longer fun.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'd say Stockton at 39 and 40 was actually a little better than Kareem at the same age but obviously his peak is also quite a bit lower.

Malone was also still very good as a 40 year old until he blew out his knee and probably could have kept going for another couple years

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

LeBron is going to play with both of his sons

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AggressivelyStupid posted:

LeBron is going to play with both of his sons

I don't think the Warriors have room in the cap for him.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1136688094109941760

Max he's eligible for is 4/55. Powell has value because he's such a good rim runner but he's an active liability at everything else. If they actually envision Powell as the long term compliment to porzingis in the starting lineup I don't even know what to say

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1136684187610734593

:woop: :w00t: :eyepop:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dutchy posted:

Max he's eligible for is 4/55. Powell has value because he's such a good rim runner but he's an active liability at everything else. If they actually envision Powell as the long term compliment to porzingis in the starting lineup I don't even know what to say

analytics has empowered dorks to overthink and try to moneyball their way to success whether or not it’s a good idea

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gersson is gonna unlock Wiggins

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Gersson is gonna unlock Wiggins
Vanterpool also coached Wiggins on Team Canada!! WE'RE GOING TO THE FINALS

https://twitter.com/ChristopherHine/status/1136689665468186624

Hoops-Hope-O-Meter for the Minnesota Basketball Timberwolves's 2019-2020 Season

* <---My Hopes
* <---Reasonable Expectations
*<---What History Has Taught Us To Expect

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 6, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm probably a couple notches above "reasonable" right now but if we somehow get D'Lo over the offseason I'm gonna be full mast

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1136731760887308288

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

analytics has empowered dorks to overthink and try to moneyball their way to success whether or not it’s a good idea

It owns cuz 4/37 felt like an overpay years ago, and here we are at the end of that contract and he's the exact same player and likely getting a big raise. Very smart.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Man the cost of dumping salary is creeping back up

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yowie Wowie

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The absolute best thing that could happen to the Knicks is Kyrie signing with the Nets.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

I don't think the Warriors have room in the cap for him.

:drat:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Prince fits with brooklyn well, as a big wing who's okay at most things but not very good in general. Atlanta gets a shooter and a pick, Brooklyn gets Kyrie and Durant, or something of that nature. Not a bad trade for either side. Feel free to quote this when the Hawks draft PJ Washington and he becomes a star

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Crabbe isn't very good, but he makes sense as a guy to stand in the weakside corner of a Trae pick and roll ready to catch and shoot if the defence collapses.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Isn't there rules with salary in trades? What am i missing here? I'm guessing there is another player the Hawks are trading with a team option.
Seriously because the Magic have one Timothy Mozgov and the 16th pick. please someone,anyone take him!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

chilihead posted:

Isn't there rules with salary in trades? What am i missing here? I'm guessing there is another player the Hawks are trading with a team option.
Seriously because the Magic have one Timothy Mozgov and the 16th pick. please someone,anyone take him!

Hawks are under the cap so the salaries don’t need to match, they can absorb the extra

Orlando has no reason to do that, because they aren’t getting a star with that money and probably plan to be bad next year

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The absolute best thing that could happen to the Knicks is Kyrie signing with the Nets.

what stage of grief is this

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dutchy posted:

It's more likely Maxi or Free Agent starts than Powell. I really like this assuming Powell is coming off the bench. A bench big that doesn't take dumb shots and is willing to share the ball on offense is cool. I think Powell opting in was the best case scenario for keeping him on the roster. You watched more than I did this year and I can understand disliking him. I guess it will really depend on what his role is next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

DeimosRising posted:

Hawks are under the cap so the salaries don’t need to match, they can absorb the extra

Orlando has no reason to do that, because they aren’t getting a star with that money and probably plan to be bad next year

Trust me, they are not planning to be bad next year and if they could do the same thing with Mozgov they would.
It's ironic that we are the ones stuck with Mozgov and the Nets have the cap space and Russell.
SMDH!