Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

General Dog posted:

Also frustrating is the underlying implication that the central conflict (the titular “star war”) is so worthless as to be relegated to DLC

Star Family Drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

General Dog posted:

Also frustrating is the underlying implication that the central conflict (the titular “star war”) is so worthless as to be relegated to DLC

Disney is turning Star Wars into the Asura's Wrath of movies

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Bogus Adventure posted:

That's what we're frustrated about. It's not that they didn't answer it at all, but that they answered it in the books/comics/premium series that Disney wants people to buy rather than in the movie.

Well, Partly. I think a lot of us also don't like the explanation we did get either. It basically says no one learned anything and everything was for naught. Like absolutely no-one appears to have used the lessons of the first two trilogies to build a Republic thats less ineffectual and corrupt. That whole Noble Rebellion for Democracy fought that big Star War for nothing?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

Well, I did my best to keep things consistent with what is shown in the movie and what is mentioned in the new expanded universe stuff. The Republic Senate can't agree on how to tackle the First Order, with the majority in charge not seeing it as an imminent threat. A minority of Senators and former Rebel Alliance officers want to attack it, so they form the private Resistance. I think it's meant to be more than a search party, as they do drive the First Order away from Takodana. :shrug:

Good point. They're very well armed for a search party, but that could be excused by either saying they were worried about the First Order or simply make the Takodana not the Resistance but the Republic Army.

I'm amazed they couldn't even commit to a proper text crawl. :(

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Angry Salami posted:

Honestly, they should have dropped the whole Republic from the ST entirely. Just have it the Empire fell, every world declared independence, and now the First Order's shown up and Leia's trying to get everyone working together again but most planets don't see it as their problem until they're attacked themselves.

Or get the Galaxy splintered into thousands of cultures but without Empire 2.0., and keep the story at a smaller scale instead of going with "even bigger Death Star!". If the original trilogy is the World Wars, make the sequels the Decolonization era.

People say Star Wars can only keep rehashing the same stories but the fall of the big centralized government was a golden opportunity for upending the status quo and telling different stories. But of course, that runs counter to making movies full of Empire regalia with slightly different details.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
They should just add that scene from the 2003 hit movie Terminator 3 (Rise of the Machines).

Luke: But we defeated the Empire. We stopped Star War!

Arnold: You only postponed it. Star War is inevitable.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Galaxy's Edge opened in Disneyland, by the way. For more of your Space Fight needs.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1132873960805228544

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So for those who have read the supplemental stuff, is there any opposing military besides Leia’s group left after TFA or are we supposed to believe that Starkiller wiped them all out?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

FlamingLiberal posted:

So for those who have read the supplemental stuff, is there any opposing military besides Leia’s group left after TFA or are we supposed to believe that Starkiller wiped them all out?

*shrugs JJ-ishly*

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
IIRC one of the rides suggests that there's plenty left.

Yes, we're getting this information from a ride.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Beeez
May 28, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Well, Partly. I think a lot of us also don't like the explanation we did get either. It basically says no one learned anything and everything was for naught. Like absolutely no-one appears to have used the lessons of the first two trilogies to build a Republic thats less ineffectual and corrupt. That whole Noble Rebellion for Democracy fought that big Star War for nothing?

They also don't really go into detail over what aspects of this version of the Republic were flawed enough to lead to it's destruction. That Vanity Fair article says that this new trilogy is about the "sins of the father", but we've yet to be given any specifics about what that means. Is the flaw that they weren't merciless enough in destroying the Imperials? Why does Ben Solo think he has to take on this Vader-esque persona? What is it about the new generation of heroes that has them poised to succeed where the previous ones failed? JJ says that they don't have a desire for the Republic of old, but that's an expanded universe thing, in the actual original trilogy they never once say that they want to make a Republic exactly like the old one, they just say they want to free the galaxy from the Imperials. If I recall correctly, the only characters who even utter the word "Republic" are Tarkin and Old Ben. So there's even less of a sense as to how their goals differ from that of the previous heroes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Beeez posted:

They also don't really go into detail over what aspects of this version of the Republic were flawed enough to lead to it's destruction. That Vanity Fair article says that this new trilogy is about the "sins of the father", but we've yet to be given any specifics about what that means. Is the flaw that they weren't merciless enough in destroying the Imperials? Why does Ben Solo think he has to take on this Vader-esque persona? What is it about the new generation of heroes that has them poised to succeed where the previous ones failed? JJ says that they don't have a desire for the Republic of old, but that's an expanded universe thing, in the actual original trilogy they never once say that they want to make a Republic exactly like the old one, they just say they want to free the galaxy from the Imperials. If I recall correctly, the only characters who even utter the word "Republic" are Tarkin and Old Ben. So there's even less of a sense as to how their goals differ from that of the previous heroes.
This is a major problem for me with this trilogy. They keep calling it the Skywalker Trilogy but it has only tangentially connected to that actual family. Minus whatever they do with Leia in IX, Ben Solo is the only one from that family still around. I feel like if they were going to kill off Han in VII and Luke in VIII they needed a better plan. But it’s blatantly obvious that they had no plan of how this trilogy was going to be on even a broad level and it feels to me like IX is going to mostly be cleaning up the mess of the last two.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like if they were going to kill off Han in VII and Luke in VIII they needed a better plan.

My guess is that they planned to focus on one member of the main three in each film, and so Leia would have been a major focus of IX in the same way that Luke was in VII and Han was in VII.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, big “if”, but okay.

i believe hux when he says they are being opressed. drat those republican scum

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

FlamingLiberal posted:

it feels to me like IX is going to mostly be cleaning up the mess of the last two.

Well, yeah. Why, what did you think JJ Abrams meant by 'sins of the father'?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It’s about planetary rights

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

Good point. They're very well armed for a search party, but that could be excused by either saying they were worried about the First Order or simply make the Takodana not the Resistance but the Republic Army.

I'm amazed they couldn't even commit to a proper text crawl. :(

Yeah. To be fair, TLJ seems to have done a better job at summarizing things.

Episode VIII posted:

The FIRST ORDER reigns.
Having decimated the peaceful
Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke
now deploys the merciless
legions to seize military
control of the galaxy.

Only General Leia Organa's
band of RESISTANCE fighters
stand against the rising
tyranny, certain that Jedi
Master Luke Skywalker will
return and restore a spark of
hope to the fight.

But the Resistance has been
exposed. As the First Order
speeds toward the rebel base,
the brave heroes mount a
desperate escape....

Not sure what to expect from JJ, though. :shrug:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wdarkk posted:

IIRC one of the rides suggests that there's plenty left.

Yes, we're getting this information from a ride.

This doesn't surprise me considering how many times Official Lucasfilm Storygroup Member Pablo Hidalgo has chimed in via Twitter on the "canon." Imagine having to understand major parts of the story from a loving dweeb on Twitter.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

There's a replica of Poe's black xwing that got blown up in TLJ in the park so wookieepedia has explained that they rebuilt it lmao

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
its just an xwing with a paint job, you can buy a dozen x wings at your local star mart and a bunch of rattle cans later youre g2g
unlike the millennium falcon of which there is only one and its infinitely powerful warship capacities cannot be matched

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If they blow up the Falcon like the Enterprise or the Defiant (they never will), I suspect there'd be a bunch of people more upset than when Han or Luke died.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Payndz posted:

If they blow up the Falcon like the Enterprise or the Defiant (they never will), I suspect there'd be a bunch of people more upset than when Han or Luke died.

Falcon gets blowed up, killing Lando, Chewie, Threepio, and Artoo, leaving only the new characters to carry the rest of the Star Wars saga

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Falcon gets blowed up, killing Lando, Chewie, Threepio, and Artoo, leaving only the new characters to carry the rest of the Star Wars saga

immediately after they die it jarringly cuts to another scene and their death isn't ever discussed

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flavius Aetass posted:

immediately after they die it jarringly cuts to another scene and their death isn't ever discussed

Then the Bigger Falcon with Bigger Lando, Fluffier Chewie, Fatter Threepio and Shorter Artoo drops out of Hyperspace...

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Why would you need to discuss it when there are far more important characters to focus on, like *checks notes* Alcida-Auka and Porg #3.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chewie, Threepio, and R2D2 are functionally immortal as they don't need a specific actor to play them

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Payndz posted:

I think instead of destroying it, the Lucasfilm Story Group will just change the name of it to REY'S SHIP officially, so it should be fine.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mameluke posted:

Chewie, Threepio, and R2D2 are functionally immortal as they don't need a specific actor to play them

Anthony Daniels' performance is pretty important compared to the other two.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I really didn't realize how much people loved the falcon until the Disney movies. I mean it's cool but drat

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

They didn't love it enough to go see Solo

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i've been a huge star wars fan since i was a toddler, read like a hundred star wars books in middle school and high school, and i still haven't watched solo despite it being on netflix for months

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Beeez posted:

I think instead of destroying it, the Lucasfilm Story Group will just change the name of it to REY'S SHIP officially, so it should be fine.

Looks good on paper to me

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

i've been a huge star wars fan since i was a toddler, read like a hundred star wars books in middle school and high school, and i still haven't watched solo despite it being on netflix for months

you should watch it so you can continue on the natural path to hating/being wildly bored by star wars

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I remember reading that Star Wars book where they killed off Chewie by dropping a moon on him

Also the alien villains had living coral ships

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

I remember reading that Star Wars book where they killed off Chewie by dropping a moon on him

Also the alien villains had living coral ships

SALVATORE!!!!!! :argh:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

i genuinely dont see whats wrong with killing chewbacca by dropping a moon on him
sounds pretty amazing

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Hey just stopping by to say that after decades of Star Wars being pretty clearly better than Star Trek for the sheer better average of quality; Star Trek is now clearly better because it's just more interesting.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Honestly both Star- franchises are in pretty dire straights quality wise. This thread is more or less dedicated to pointing it out for -Wars, but as a fan of both I can say treks in a very similar state. It likewise is being run by a corporate entity with no real creative vision or particular talent. Gene Roddenberry may have been an insane rear end in a top hat, but he had a legit unique vision that was showing through even on TNG and (despite not being really involved in it) DS9 after he died. It's telling that people generally think a friggin Seth Mcfarlane comedy is considered a better Trek show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

galagazombie posted:

Honestly both Star- franchises are in pretty dire straights quality wise. This thread is more or less dedicated to pointing it out for -Wars, but as a fan of both I can say treks in a very similar state. It likewise is being run by a corporate entity with no real creative vision or particular talent. Gene Roddenberry may have been an insane rear end in a top hat, but he had a legit unique vision that was showing through even on TNG and (despite not being really involved in it) DS9 after he died. It's telling that people generally think a friggin Seth Mcfarlane comedy is considered a better Trek show.

They need to just let Simon Pegg run the drat thing. "Beyond" wasn't perfect, but it was a giant leap of a step-up better than the prior two films -- so much that I was looking forward to the fourth installment. Hemsworth and Pine need to get their heads out of their asses and do the dang thing.

Trek '09 wasn't that bad but JJ made a lot of wrong decisions to turn it into Star Wars, which it ain't.

Ingmar terdman posted:

I really didn't realize how much people loved the falcon until the Disney movies. I mean it's cool but drat

It's basically a main character.

I would cry like a baby if they blew that thing up.