Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Anybody here been to Evil Dead The Musical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I've seen a digital version of a performance. I've never seen it live, though.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I've seen a digital version of a performance. I've never seen it live, though.

Did you like it?

Wife and I got splatter zone tickets for next friday. I’ve heard good things mostly so I’m looking forward to it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I haven't seen it but I've heard that if the idea of an Evil Dead musical appeals to you, you'll love it. Also, do not wear clothes you want to keep clean. The fake blood and goo is basically impossible to wash out, from what I hear.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Did you like it?

Wife and I got splatter zone tickets for next friday. I’ve heard good things mostly so I’m looking forward to it.

Yes. It's very funny and silly. You're gonna have a great time. Make sure you wear a white shirt, if possible, so you'll be able to keep your blood-splattered shirt as a souvenir of the performance.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I haven't seen it but I've heard that if the idea of an Evil Dead musical appeals to you, you'll love it. Also, do not wear clothes you want to keep clean. The fake blood and goo is basically impossible to wash out, from what I hear.

Who plays Ash? Gallagher?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Franchescanado posted:

Yes. It's very funny and silly. You're gonna have a great time. Make sure you wear a white shirt, if possible, so you'll be able to keep your blood-splattered shirt as a souvenir of the performance.

The tickets came with white souvenir shirts, so that’s covered.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

s.i.r.e. posted:

Who plays Ash? Gallagher?

I have absolutely no idea off the top of my head. Probably varies by production?

Basically they did their absolute level best to make it an Evil Dead-rear end Evil Dead musical, and so the effects drench the audience in shitloads of fake blood and goo.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Blast Fantasto posted:

I was trying to find a clip of an ATM calling Stephen King an rear end in a top hat, but in searching for it I found this Maximum Overdrive commercial starring a bug-eyed, cocaine addled Stephen King

Here's the opening clip with King. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwyiWxa7Esk

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Stephen King is my favorite kind of spooky

Drunkboxer posted:

Nah but I had the CD when I was in high school, pretty catchy stuff. The opening number is still my first thought when someone mentions Cabin in the Woods

I’ve never been able to see it though, so I’m very jealous

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

I saw a small production of it last year and it was a lot of fun. Also, if anyone has the chance to see Silence! The Musical (the Silence of the Lambs parody musical) definitely do. The local theater troupe did it just before the Evil Dead one and it was so drat good.

chitoryu12 posted:

FEED ME A STRAY VAN

I appreciated this joke

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Basebf555 posted:

Soda machine death in Maximum Overdrive justifies the whole movie imo

As dumb as the movie is it very much succeeds at my "is the fun enough to outweigh the boring?" metric

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Man how did this Annabelle origin movie get 70% on rotten tomatoes this poo poo is garbage

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Drunkboxer posted:

I saw it a few (geez like 10?) Years ago and it was a great time. It's corny but definitely fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is some good non horror, horror stuff to you guys? Like, stuff that doesn’t fit the horror mold at all, but still manages to invoke fear, dread etc. and give you the same general vibe you get watching a good horror film.

I’m thinking of stuff like Green Room, The Hunt, HBOs Chernobyl miniseries...

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

veni veni veni posted:

What is some good non horror, horror stuff to you guys? Like, stuff that doesn’t fit the horror mold at all, but still manages to invoke fear, dread etc. and give you the same general vibe you get watching a good horror film.

The Perfection is a solid choice for that

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Personally I would definitely call the perfection a horror movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

veni veni veni posted:

United 93

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Zodiac and No Country For Old Men come to mind right away.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
The Act Of Killing hands loving down.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Nobody told me the new Chucky movie is just Maximum Overdrive/Toys?

That is an extremely inaccurate description because it makes it sound fun.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

As dumb as the movie is it very much succeeds at my "is the fun enough to outweigh the boring?" metric

It's so much fun at the start and then it's so boring for the rest of the run time. What a shame.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

veni veni veni posted:

Ever seen Phone Booth? That movie doesn't get enough credit.

Edit: Coherence is maybe an inch or two over the line and into horror territory, but it's another possibility. Ex Machina, too.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 6, 2019

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Compliance, Hard Candy

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Werner Herzog’s Rescue Dawn is basically non-stop tension/horrifying stuff until the big release at the end.

There’s also some stuff that could be considered borderline horror or at least pushing the constraints of what is typically defined as a scary movie, like Mulholland Drive.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So the Hammer House of Horror series is off Shudder but it's still on Prime and I've been watching some. Some episodes are really nice. There's one called Rude Awakening that I really like that's a guy repeatedly awakening from a series of dreams/nightmares that does a good job of keeping you off balance wondering what reality really is, whether the guy is actually dead, what's going on etc. The Silent Scream episode with a young(!) Brian Cox is really good as well, and there's one called The Two Faces of Evil about the outcome of an incident where picking up a hitchhiker leads to deadly consequences that has a similar dreamlike quality to Rude Awakening where you're really not sure what's going on until late in the episode. Witching Time is about a time travelling witch that completely messes with a young couple in the time she's traveled to, the actress playing the witch really leans into the gleeful wickedness of the character and does a great job.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

of Lynch's stuff, Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway both radiate horror

Sympathy For Mr Vengeance has some really thematically heavy vibes hanging off it. the first two thirds of 13 Assassins also slowly build tension and dread, before it goes full on

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Hahaha Midnight Meat Train, I did not expect full on C.HU.D.S.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I know it didn't get a lot of love, but I liked Midnight Meat Train. I mean, you had me at the title, to be honest. I just read the story in the Books of Blood, too.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MMT is a fun movie. Watch it.

The Dead Don't Die is extremely ok. It could use another round of punch-up because the foundation of a much better movie is there. The movie has very little interest in gore movie which is a real shame.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Zwabu posted:

So the Hammer House of Horror series is off Shudder but it's still on Prime and I've been watching some. Some episodes are really nice. There's one called Rude Awakening that I really like that's a guy repeatedly awakening from a series of dreams/nightmares that does a good job of keeping you off balance wondering what reality really is, whether the guy is actually dead, what's going on etc. The Silent Scream episode with a young(!) Brian Cox is really good as well, and there's one called The Two Faces of Evil about the outcome of an incident where picking up a hitchhiker leads to deadly consequences that has a similar dreamlike quality to Rude Awakening where you're really not sure what's going on until late in the episode. Witching Time is about a time travelling witch that completely messes with a young couple in the time she's traveled to, the actress playing the witch really leans into the gleeful wickedness of the character and does a great job.

I thought the witch in Witching Time did a really good job of selling the 'person from the past dropped into the future' angle.

First one I ever saw of the series was The House That Bled to Death. That one stuck in my head when I started hearing about the Amityville haunting being a hoax, even moreso when Daniel Lutz did his documentary. To my knowledge, the Lutz kids weren't in on knowing it was a hoax and I've wondered if what bullshit went on with the hoax didn't do a number on him that he's convinced himself it was a real haunting.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

gey muckle mowser posted:

Butterfly Kisses is like that. Found footage but it’s like a documentary about a guy trying to make a film about some creepy footage he found. More about the character than the horror part.

e: don’t want to spoil it but the creepy/supernatural stuff doesn’t happen to the documentary crew, they sort of observe it third-hand

I just watched this on your rec and I really liked it, more than Savageland actually. Of course, it shares plenty of redundancies with Marble Hornets on Youtube, but if you like that kind of horror this is more of that. I think this meta-documentary style framing device really works much better for found footage horror than just straight up found footage, because the additional layer of skepticism and explicit calling out of horror tropes by interviewees actually works in the film's favor rather than making it seem too wink-winky. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more films in this format in the future.

I did laugh at the cameo of the director of The Blair Witch Project playing himself.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Awhile back, in the chat thread, somebody linked to a list of top 100 Japanese movies. It was done by a Japanese magazine by polling Japanese people, and the result looked way different than if you had asked American movie fans/critics to list the best Japanese movies.

Which makes sense, it's rare for a non-English movie to be a hit or even get noticed in America. If nobody's willing to distribute it subbed or dubbed, it's basically doesn't exist for most Americans.

That got me thinking about the They Shoot Zombies, Don't They list Franchescanado linked to in the May Horror Challenge thread. It distills over 2,500 best horror movie lists into a single canonical list. There's not much about the methodology, and there's no mention of an attempt made to include lists made by non-English speakers. So I'm gonna assume that the vast majority of lists that went into it were in English. And that's born out by the results. Out of the 1,000 movies on TSZDT list, 49 come from South America, Africa, and Asia combined.

So that's got me thinking, has anybody put together a "non-biased" top horror movies list? I'm not sure how you'd do that, maybe getting, like, 5 English lists, 5 Japanese lists, 5 Nigerian lists, 5 French lists, and so on for as many languages as you could. I wouldn't be surprised if the final list had more American movies than any other country, just because America has such an old, big, and good movie industry. But I bet there's a lot of foreign horror movies that are really fantastic that nobody who doesn't speak their language has ever seen.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Gripweed posted:

But I bet there's a lot of foreign horror movies that are really fantastic that nobody who doesn't speak their language has ever seen.

I'm trying to find a way to say this without being cold and dismissive and maybe I'm going to fail but here it is:

Much like the SNES rom translation scene post-2003, I don't think there's too much water left in that well. Time and the internet have done a pretty good job of digging up scores of notable films from around the globe. Contemporary films with any amount of juice can easily get enough notice that the online community will keep tabs on it. Are there undiscovered gems out there waiting to reclaimed from the past? Probably, at least a few. That, combined with the spirit of your post, makes me want to see what lists different regions could come up with on their own regardless of what I'm saying here. And for a more-casual horror fan (like me) lists like that are a great resource to find new movies and finally check up on titles I've heard of but never taken the time to experience.

Basically, the dredging you're looking for has, I think, mostly already happened. But there's no harm, and potentially a lot of good, in continuing to collate that information and making it readily available.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Argue posted:

I just watched this on your rec and I really liked it, more than Savageland actually. Of course, it shares plenty of redundancies with Marble Hornets on Youtube, but if you like that kind of horror this is more of that. I think this meta-documentary style framing device really works much better for found footage horror than just straight up found footage, because the additional layer of skepticism and explicit calling out of horror tropes by interviewees actually works in the film's favor rather than making it seem too wink-winky. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more films in this format in the future.

I did laugh at the cameo of the director of The Blair Witch Project playing himself.

glad you enjoyed it, I thought it was a pretty cool movie. I actually just watched it like a week ago on the recommendation of some others in this thread. I love FF films that make creative use of the format, stuff that's just the characters filming everything for no reason gets old fast. plus none of that shaky cam poo poo here since everything in the film is shot by actual filmmakers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I'm trying to find a way to say this without being cold and dismissive and maybe I'm going to fail but here it is:

Much like the SNES rom translation scene post-2003, I don't think there's too much water left in that well.

Man, the hell there isn't. Ain't nobody properly translated Rushing Beat Shura yet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Much like the SNES rom translation scene post-2003, I don't think there's too much water left in that well. Time and the internet have done a pretty good job of digging up scores of notable films from around the globe. Contemporary films with any amount of juice can easily get enough notice that the online community will keep tabs on it. Are there undiscovered gems out there waiting to reclaimed from the past? Probably, at least a few. That, combined with the spirit of your post, makes me want to see what lists different regions could come up with on their own regardless of what I'm saying here. And for a more-casual horror fan (like me) lists like that are a great resource to find new movies and finally check up on titles I've heard of but never taken the time to experience.

Basically, the dredging you're looking for has, I think, mostly already happened. But there's no harm, and potentially a lot of good, in continuing to collate that information and making it readily available.

I'm pretty much 100% sure you're wrong. Here is the list of the best Japanese movies as ranked by Japanese people. out of the top ten best Japanese movies, four of them aren't available in America.

Yes, the internet has made it way easier than ever before to access movies from around the globe. But it hasn't completely eliminated the barriers of film distribution and language.

And even setting that side, there's the issue of taste. The TSZDT they list combines as many lists as possible because people have different taste. No list compiled by a single person can be definitive because art always comes down to taste. That issue is magnified when you're going across cultures and languages. That's why I want a non-biased list. A list made up of the lists from 100 Americans and 100 French people and 100 Chinese people is gonna be way more interesting than a list made of the lists of 1,000 Americans. And it would get closer to an actual list of the best horror movies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hell, just look at Tomie. Great movie, based off a classic comic, spawned seven sequels and a TV show. But nobody outside of Japan gives a poo poo about Tomie. So it's not on the TSZDT list.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Man, the hell there isn't. Ain't nobody properly translated Rushing Beat Shura yet.

And Tokimeki Memorial will never be finished. But the vast, vast majority of games that anyone cares about have been put through the grinder already.

Gripweed posted:

I'm pretty much 100% sure you're wrong. Here is the list of the best Japanese movies as ranked by Japanese people. out of the top ten best Japanese movies, four of them aren't available in America.

Yes, the internet has made it way easier than ever before to access movies from around the globe. But it hasn't completely eliminated the barriers of film distribution and language.

And even setting that side, there's the issue of taste. The TSZDT they list combines as many lists as possible because people have different taste. No list compiled by a single person can be definitive because art always comes down to taste. That issue is magnified when you're going across cultures and languages. That's why I want a non-biased list. A list made up of the lists from 100 Americans and 100 French people and 100 Chinese people is gonna be way more interesting than a list made of the lists of 1,000 Americans. And it would get closer to an actual list of the best horror movies.

I'd love to be wrong, honestly. And I agree that a list made from different regions would be a lot more interesting. But language, not knowledge, is the only thing keeping some of these selections from us. Also, dramas can be weirder export to international markets. Horror's a lot more universal, which is why I think it's generally easier to get access to foreign horror films, which is what I thought your original post was about.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

Hell, just look at Tomie. Great movie, based off a classic comic, spawned seven sequels and a TV show. But nobody outside of Japan gives a poo poo about Tomie. So it's not on the TSZDT list.

I love that drat manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

That list reminds me how hosed up it is that nobody has seen any Obayashi movies that aren’t House. He’s made a bunch and they never seem to leave Japan. Hanagatami was on mubi a while back and is awesome and at least horror adjacent. Hugely recommended if it’s ever available to watch again