Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
In fallout 2 you could also use your own steal skills to plant armed plastic explosives on the pickpockets. With the right setting on the timer (about 20 seconds IIRC) the little bastards would be in the process of delivering it to their fence, meaning the explosion would kill all of them and not even get you a child killer rep. The less flashy solution was to give them a fatal overdose of super stimpacks, which was pretty much the solution to killing every single biological enemy in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
For those who are wondering, a super stimpak will heal you first and then drain -9 HP within two minutes. Use enough of them at once and the health drain will kill an NPC from full health. Takes a bunch, though.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Don't forget that if a fight broke out in the den, it was possible to accidentally kill the invisible children with missed shots and explosives, still aggroing the town and getting you the Child Killer reputation.

They could also block doors! Targetable friendly npcs could be "shoved" if they happened to stop somewhere inconvenient, but not the invisible children.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Man you guys all way overthought the FO2 problem. I have been playing it this week, and I just enter combat, walk past the door without shooting anyone, and exit combat. They can't pickpocket you during your combat turn.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

aniviron posted:

Man you guys all way overthought the FO2 problem. I have been playing it this week, and I just enter combat, walk past the door without shooting anyone, and exit combat. They can't pickpocket you during your combat turn.

:same:

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I could swear that the first time I died in FO2 was when I discovered I could initiate combat at any time and while I was experimenting with shooting some dude a child molotov’d me to death complete with the bloody mess death animation. Also Little Lamplight’s loving bullshit so I guess I understand

It’s also bullshit that Myron counts as a child though I guess he is underage

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

aniviron posted:

Or you could just run. I don't think they can pickpocket you if you run.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Magmarashi posted:

I have never had the urge to murder a child-shaped being, real or fake, and ya'll making my skin crawl something fierce

Jesus, dog, get a grip.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

never not kill myron

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Jesus, dog, get a grip.

It's loving creepy?

It's pretty weird telling the person saying "It feels gross talking about murdering children even in the abstract" to 'get a grip'

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Magmarashi posted:

It's loving creepy?

It's pretty weird telling the person saying "It feels gross talking about murdering children even in the abstract" to 'get a grip'

Because murdering adults in the abstract is a-okay.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

:allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

Well yeah. I'll blame the adults for making the kids into cannibals more than I'd blame the kids for being cannibals.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

Maybe just because it's kids, Maybe just because people will freely go on about murdering children in games but don't devote even a fraction of time to talking about murdering adults with the same level of zeal.

Pick one. It's still loving creepy.

It's at the same level for me as people chomping at the bit to add rape and sexual abuse to a game/lamenting they can't do those things by default.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't blame you for having strong feelings about it, but I dunno that reminiscing about experiences with a 20-year-old game is "zealous" or "chomping at the bit." That's a bit unkind.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't blame you for having strong feelings about it, but I dunno that reminiscing about experiences with a 20-year-old game is "zealous" or "chomping at the bit." That's a bit unkind.

Well it started off talking about Skyrim and Bethesda being unable to write children that don't make people want to murder them.

Strange invisible pickpockets from 20 years ago don't really register quite the same?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think anything is fine in fiction if it's well presented as a genuinely hosed up thing, rather than glorified.

Which is why crying over people asking for tiny bit more violence in games that glorify death and violence on every single loving step is a bit silly IMO. Pick your battles.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

Well it started off talking about Skyrim and Bethesda being unable to write children that don't make people want to murder them.
In my own defense, those Little Lamplight tots are real assholes.

Also, I was joking, it's this thing we do here. I don't use these mods and I don't actually try to murder child NPCs in video games either.

Except for that one time when I was nine.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Magmarashi is basically right though, this conversation has had a bit of a "becoming the abyss" quality to it

Synthbuttrange posted:

never not kill myron

This is also completely right, however. gently caress Myron. He might be technically a teen but he's also an awful rapey slaver drug-lord piece of poo poo :colbert:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

It is a little bizzare how gamers seem to think it is their god given right to kill children in video games.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gamers routinely kill God and claim the right for themselves.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Honestly, as weird as some people's fixation on that subject matter can be, it's no less bizarre to respond to it with the notion that you aren't "entitled" to doing whatever you want in a video game.

I mean, really, we're talking about a game here, not tax law.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Alllllllright maybe another topic.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Orv posted:

Child Murder and Topless Women: Two things that are absolutely Haram in videogames.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Child Murder and Topless Women doesn't have the same ring to it as Tit Spikes and Fiveheads

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Orv posted:

Can do.

In Final Fantasy 14, an outfit got added to the game's cash shop recently that stirred up some controversy with the korean players, but there was also some worry that people would use the hat of the outfit to make creepy nazi outfits. And then assholes made creepy nazi outfits, to no ones huge shock. Then this guy cropped up on the modding discord.

Quick summary is that the idiot was a loving nazi, his whole company in 14 were all loving nazis, and they got reported but who knows if the gms actually did anything. And just today, one of the more prominent modders dropped this off with a, "lol can't wait to get called a nazi over this."

The symbol of the band is for the resident authoritarian empire that wants to stomp out and subjugate everyone not of their race. So, you know, big surprise when the rear end in a top hat who made it got called a loving nazi. And now the discord's admins are trying to defend that poo poo. BTW the discord admins are also anti-trans and are currently running over how they think trans people are just attention hungry.

https://twitter.com/riskcharge/status/1136392435389435904

Fun times.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 6, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nazis, Nazis never change.

Speaking of thread titles.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Don't trust anyone who has an anime avatar.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
*Does super suspect facist poo poo*

"Please no judge"

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I don't have to judge. Nazis got judged pretty definitively in the 1940s.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A ruling was reached by the judge. We are just enforcing it.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
This is so much worse than child killing.

Can't we just, like, have some anthropomorphic mud crab girls with outrageously huge breasts and a tsundere voice set or something?

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

A good mod for the first Test Drive Unlimited that added around 760 cars to the base game, updated the textures and physics, etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dxYC2Ib0Gg
https://turboduck.net/forums/topic/35843-released-test-drive-unlimited-platinum/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mod Dead Redemption

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UiJ9MlrmKI

That is a lot of cows.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Me again, from the depths of Moddb! Have you ever wished for Total War to be all Mortal Kombaty? No? Well, uh...
https://www.moddb.com/mods/mortal-kombat-konquest-tw

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Angry Diplomat posted:

Magmarashi is basically right though, this conversation has had a bit of a "becoming the abyss" quality to it

This is also completely right, however. gently caress Myron. He might be technically a teen but he's also an awful rapey slaver drug-lord piece of poo poo :colbert:

Didn't Myron technically count as a kid bc he was like 16 so if you killed him for being a piece of poo poo suddenly you'd have the childkiller perk and NCR rangers after you

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Didn't Myron technically count as a kid bc he was like 16 so if you killed him for being a piece of poo poo suddenly you'd have the childkiller perk and NCR rangers after you

Yeah, which is why I preferred to intimidate him into joining me and then play tag with deathclaws until he was no longer in my party.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

FrancisFukyomama posted:

You only get the child killer perk if you kill two children, so you get a freebie with Myron

Also, your companions can kill him off for you and you won’t get the rep in case you’d killed another kid already

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What if 1993's Star Wars: X-Wing but good looking?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eauZkdLJ0ng
https://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

My thought was "drat, Disney is going to stamp on this hard" but they're really bending over backwards to try and make this fly under the legal radar.

quote:

The mod of course requires the player to own and have installation of the original X-Wing game, or have the GOG or Steam versions of X-Wing Special Edition (either the 1993 floppy, the 1994 CD, and/or 1998 Windows edition). The team of fans developing XWVM is not associated with Lucasfilm Ltd or Disney, and XWVM is not an official Star Wars product. XWVM isn't a standalone game, or total conversion, but a mod to the original. XWVM neither contains nor distributes any copyrighted material. All game resource files (missions, voice overs, SFX, iMUSE automaton, in-game graphics and 3D models, etc) are loaded from the player's copy of the original game, or are replacements originally created by our team, where the original resources are considered inadequate for today's standards.

I mean, no idea if that will work, given that Disney literally just petitions to get US law changed when it suits them, so if they want to take someone to court they will, but the fact that the team is going to use the carcass of a game that came out on 3.5in floppies to build the game and give it legal shelter is none the less impressive.