Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

dmboogie posted:

As far as I can tell, meeting the lady there is the "end" of the Quantum Moon. It disappointed me that there wasn't a language stone for "goodbye". :smith:

Ok cool!

Party Boat posted:

Dark Bramble spoilers

I found the Nomai grave and used my scout to figure out where the Vessel is, but as soon as I go through the red light there's anglerfish RIGHT THERE and even hitting my thrusters gently to avoid them triggered them. Do I just need to get better at silently drifting past or is there some other trick I'm missing?

Yeah I just drifted past them with no thrusters fired as soon as I entered that part of Dark Bramble. I waited until the scout was around 1.3km away then tentatively fired my thrusters and it was ok. If you're that distance from it and they notice you, you should be able to get there before they catch you anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Party Boat posted:

Dark Bramble spoilers

I found the Nomai grave and used my scout to figure out where the Vessel is, but as soon as I go through the red light there's anglerfish RIGHT THERE and even hitting my thrusters gently to avoid them triggered them. Do I just need to get better at silently drifting past or is there some other trick I'm missing?

You're on the right track. I just match speeds just before the "transition" happens, speed up just a bit after that, aiming for the red light (not the probe) and wait until I have drifted past the anglerfish. Once you reach the source of the red lights the anglerfish no longer aggro because you're too far away and you're free to go towards the probe.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Thanks everyone!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I've just tried and CheatEngine works pretty well if you want to speed up the game.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hey dmboogie, Malwarebytes said the front page had some poo poo in some of your images. Just a heads up not sure was up with that.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Hope this game ends up selling a bazillion copies so the developers can make a VR version of it.

This in VR would be a loving incredible experience.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I was disappointed there's no way to reach the eye from the moon

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Can someone please give me a hint as to how to get into the quantum tower? I feel like I'm missing something super-obvious.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Wait around the tower for a while, or try visiting it later in the loop. It might take a while, but it can be a little annoying to find if you’re not actually on it.
I suppose you can park your ship/place a scout on it to keep track of it and explore elsewhere on the planet.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Oldstench posted:

Can someone please give me a hint as to how to get into the quantum tower? I feel like I'm missing something super-obvious.

Broken stairs aren't the only thing keeping you on the ground.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Is there any way to reliably make it to the hanging city very quickly?

I've been there a couple of times but it has always involved falling off and somehow sticking the landing. Would like to know if there's any other way, since you're liable to fall into the black hole most of the time.

I've tried going from the ruins of the old city via the gravity stones but the path just suddenly ended? Was it that way, or is there another?

Oh, I have also tried through the crossroads. But got lost.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 5, 2019

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Meallan posted:

Is there any way to reliably make it to the hanging city very quickly?

I've been there a couple of times but it has always involved falling off and somehow sticking the landing. Would like to know if there's any other way, since you're liable to fall into the black hole most of the time.

I've tried going from the ruins of the old city via the gravity stones but the path just suddenly ended? Was it that way, or is there another?

Oh, I have also tried through the crossroads. But got lost.

Yes. There is a shortcut On the surface where the water runs through snow. It's a small hole, kinda hard to explain. It dumps you in the 2nd floor of the hanging city. If you go to the hanging city 2nd floor and go up into the houses or whatever at one point you should see a broken staircaese or something that leads to another house. The roof hole leads up from there.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Meallan posted:

When that part of the path ends you can step off to the side

also let me say, this game slaps

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Thanks!

Now I can at least explore knowing there is a solution.

And yeah this game slaps.
Even now that I spent a lot of loops trying to find my way, I still managed to fail in new ways each time. And all of them were pretty hilarious. And terrifying.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I have managed the most difficult thing: I have seen a YOU ARE DEAD message. Game should have had the balls to delete my save, tough. I'm wouldn't have even been angry, the game pretty much tells you what will happen after you remove the Warp Core.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I fell into a geyser at the start when I first tried to play and that also happened, ha

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I was definitely being too impatient because in my next trip I found my way into the Hanging City via the Crossroads. Which then led me to find the Quantum Tower and another way to the surface. Which then led me to find the little hole on the ice pole that the other user talked about.

I'm so impressed. This is just ONE planet and it's so interconnected, it reminds me of Dark Souls 1 map where eventually you would find a ton of ways to get anywhere.

I spent 3 full cycles exploring the Hanging City and drat it took my breath way. Seeing all those people who died in the middle of their normal lives. Reading all those messages and slowly unveiling their civilisation. And the whole thing with the Eye! I'm liking this sort of cosmic horror vibe to it.

Does the game just keep it up the entirity of its length? I am so impressed by Brittle Hollow, I want for other planets to feel this good.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Meallan posted:

Does the game just keep it up the entirity of its length? I am so impressed by Brittle Hollow, I want for other planets to feel this good.

ayup

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The game this reminds me of most is Myst, which removed the clunky text and inventory elements from adventure games. Outer Wilds goes a step further by having all of the puzzle mechanics exist as parts of a consistent immersive sim.

I agree with the poster who said the Hourglass Twins were the worst planets. The themes are generic mars texture and gray sand respectively, and the only puzzle is arriving early or late enough in the cycle. The only other puzzle that involves waiting is the tower of quantum knowledge, and that's more a final exam of whether you can apply what you've learned about Brittle Hollow's black/white holes. Everything hook on Ash Twin requires waiting for the towers to open up, and if you don't get it right the first time you'll have to reset the cycle and do it again.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You have to wait to get into the comet you know. Maybe a long time depending on when you get there

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Brittle Hollow and Twins spoilers

I finally got into the black hole forge, after a couple of frustrating setbacks. While I was waiting on Ash Twin for the tower to clear I suddenly saw the marker for my ship zooming away, and realised just too late that I had parked on the equator.

When I made the warp I forgot that I was upside down, and tried to jetpack over a low wall.

More general, looking at the sky spoiler

Is there anything to be found by observing supernovae? After I was told about them I see them constantly, and occasionally zoom in to see them closer, but it seems like more of an apocalyptic tone setter than a piece of the puzzle.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Brittle Hollow (very light level design spoiler} almost gives me a Dark Souls feel in terms of the branching paths and how the level design wraps around itself. Definitely my favorite area.

edit: looks like someone else also made the association :v:

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 6, 2019

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

corn in the bible posted:

You have to wait to get into the comet you know. Maybe a long time depending on when you get there

It's only a couple of minutes if you beeline right to that place on revive.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

theblackw0lf posted:

Brittle Hollow almost gives me a Dark Souls feel in terms of the branching paths and how the level design wraps around itself. Definitely my favorite area.

edit: looks like someone else also made the association :v:

Yeah it's so well designed!! I'm so impressed.

And also, when the supernova is about to happen, and you just look outside and almost the entire planets surface has fallen into the black hole... you can just see all the paths, feeling almost like the skeleton of the city.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 6, 2019

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Haha I'm gonna be depressed when this game is over.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Knowing that you're coming up on the end of the current loop, nothing else you can do besides just watch the sun collapse in on itself and go supernova, just waiting, that music... one of the best game experiences I've had in years.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Finished it

Definitely a contender for game of the year for me.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Not quite finished but this game's pretty great. Technically it's impressive that it created such a small but dense set of worlds for you to explore, it's like an idealized version of space exploration, and it drip feeds you just enough bits of story and world building to keep you hunting down the next fragment of information. It's a myst puzzle/adventure game that didn't make it immediately apparent that's what I was getting into; I just saw a friend playing a space exploration game and went "oooh, me too"

Test-0
Jul 15, 2006

It lives...
Had an interesting bug for Giants Deep happen, got some screen shots to share. Basic planet and location spoilers ahead:

I was at the construction yard when it got tossed by a tornado, landed safely and then shortly after something else landed on top of it. Gabbros island. The walkways made trying to walks around on it a mess and at one point I got glitch launched a ways away into the water. This was all I got before time ran out.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I am stuck again haha, this game keeps stumping me.

Quantum Tower, I am inside at the bottom and I see where I want to be at the top. My mind tells me I need to get to the Black Hole Forge somehow to solve this, but I also can't figure that out. The way is blocked by some fallen poo poo and I can't for the life of me figure it out. I keep running out of time too quickly to find any new clues.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Ziji posted:

Quantum Tower, I am inside at the bottom and I see where I want to be at the top. My mind tells me I need to get to the Black Hole Forge somehow to solve this, but I also can't figure that out. The way is blocked by some fallen poo poo and I can't for the life of me figure it out. I keep running out of time too quickly to find any new clues.

It's easy to assume it'll kill you when you fall in, but you might get some ideas for accessing both of these beyond the black hole.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ziji posted:

Part 1 Black Hole Forge has nothing to do with it
Part 2 The gravity is too high on Brittle Hollow to jet pack up into the tower. If only there were some place where gravity wasn't an issue.
Part 3 Try waiting around in the tower

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

jjac posted:

It's easy to assume it'll kill you when you fall in, but you might get some ideas for accessing both of these beyond the black hole.

I've been to WHS many times because I am clumsy as hell but never really understood it's purpose other than getting back to BH. However, I just did a trip to the Twins and am noticing there must be a lot more to it. Granted, I've searched WHS high and low and haven't figured out what I am missing (ship log says I am missing info there).

fez_machine posted:

Part 1 Black Hole Forge has nothing to do with it
Part 2 The gravity is too high on Brittle Hollow to jet pack up into the tower. If only there were some place where gravity wasn't an issue.
Part 3 Try waiting around in the tower

The only thing I've tried is somehow sling shotting myself into the tower via the black hole, but that doesn't seem to be what you mean lmao. I'll try waiting around like you suggest and see what happens.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Ziji posted:

I've been to WHS many times because I am clumsy as hell but never really understood it's purpose other than getting back to BH. However, I just did a trip to the Twins and am noticing there must be a lot more to it. Granted, I've searched WHS high and low and haven't figured out what I am missing (ship log says I am missing info there).

The only thing I've tried is somehow sling shotting myself into the tower via the black hole, but that doesn't seem to be what you mean lmao. I'll try waiting around like you suggest and see what happens.

Think of what is constantly happening to the planet.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

Oldstench posted:

Think of what is constantly happening to the planet.

Lmao OHHHH. It just clicked in my head. Thanks dude, I was waiting down in the actual tower about to run out of oxygen confused as hell. I thought maybe when it passed over the WHS the gravity would invert. I am not a smart man.

Edit: I had absolutely no clue that happens to the Quantum Tower, hence my confusion. I thought you meant that the asteroids would eventually break open the roof or something lmao. I hadn't spent enough time to observe that the QT falls in. That was wild as hell.

Ziji fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 6, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The devs of this game need to be invited to GDC to discuss optimization in Unity because I can’t comprehend how it runs so well.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Maybe it's because the very first thing that happened to me was getting eaten by a loving giant angler fish. But the game is just horrifying. Hahaha. It's great. can't remember the last time I felt such unease playing a game.

Second planet was full of waterspouts. Got stranded on an island with a giant... bug thing encased in crystal and my ship was washup up on top of a tree. So just had to wait there until the solar system exploded.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Popping in to say this game is amazing. I don't think I'm that far into it. Just following threads until I get stuck and then trying somewhere else. Hoping I don't get stuck as I don't want to go delving to deeply into spoiler territory and the constant discovery and suprises is what makes this game so drat fascinating. The few puzzles I have solved happened so naturally and I felt like a god drat genius.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

al-azad posted:

The devs of this game need to be invited to GDC to discuss optimization in Unity because I can’t comprehend how it runs so well.

It can be mildly taxing in some places, but it's not surprising with the amount of objects and physics taking place.

Risk of Rain 2 is another amazingly optimized game for the Unity engine. The proof's in the game, not the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Finally I can live out my dreams of being a Kerbal. Game Good :jeb: Every character you meet or read about is just fukken stoked to do some space science and it is charming as hell.

There's one important thing I never noticed until right near the end: the Signalscope has a zoom function. Get it out whenever you want to look at something far away.

Drunken Baker posted:

Second planet was full of waterspouts. Got stranded on an island with a giant... bug thing encased in crystal and my ship was washup up on top of a tree. So just had to wait there until the solar system exploded.

There's a way to get un-stuck there if you've got time to wait, but it might also kill you.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 6, 2019