Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

StalkofWheat posted:

I'm really digging this arc and all, but man does Deadeye just suck the all the fun out of combat since it's evidently impossible for him to fail at anything.

Yeah, he’s a great character but I won’t be sorry to see him go. It’s not as fun watching him do hit and run for 50 damage a turn compared to the Boobs doing something ludicrous dumb and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TakenForGranite posted:

Yeah it's kind of hilarious how overpowered the gunslinger subclass is. You saw it for years in critical role with Percy, and Deadeye is really no different. I actually guffawed when his rifle was just a re-skin of Bad News, too.

I think it's more that Brennan knows the game inside out, and optimized a character out the rear end to be a high damage dealer. Which created a character that Murph really doesn't know how to fold in to his game comfortably because Emily, Jake & Caldwell are so laid back and don't really care about that stuff. Even from a lore standpoint, he created Deadeye with a plethora of callbacks and ties to the cast and their adventure. Which I found kind of cool at first, but which started to get annoying when he just kept revealing that Deadeye was related to them in this way too, or had met this other character they'd interacted with as well. It's obvious Brennan is a big fan of the show, but I do think he went overboard with tying Deadeye in to their adventures and that it probably serves as a good metaphor for Brennan's playstyle as a whole.

That said: I am kind of curious about the "hollow one" race Deadeye is. I don't see any information about it online, so all I know is what Brennan said, and that Mercer created it. It's presumably just a zombie analogue, but I do wonder if leaning so hard in to it was Brennan's own doing or if that's exactly what it is all along for instance.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I definitely missed Hardwon during this episode, much sooner than I thought I might. His role within the Band of Boobs was vacant, and I could tell Jake wasn't able to be as involved as he usually is. Jivelin is funny, but he's quite one-note and not a great avatar for emoting.

I really hope the BoB can find a way to bring Hardwon back!! From the cursory Google searches I've done, I think their best bet is to stake him and then immediately revivify him. Which seems crazy, but afaik there's really no cure for vampirism; as it turns out, death is actually easier to cure than being a vampire is. The only other option would be if Murph allowed a god to cure it, but he's pretty by-the-books when it comes to lore and mechanics; I don't see him just waving a magic wand at the end of an arc and rewinding all the bad stuff that happened like a sitcom ending. Maybe they finally track down Kord and he forces Moonshine & Bev to choose between releasing Hardwon's mom from Galad's rule in Shadowfell OR restoring Hardwon to mortality. That would be a real pickle.

And this is all assuming they manage to kill his Maker AND the rest of her brood, who will surely come after them once they stake her. Goddamn this radio drama is so good!! :D

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Man, I love Short Rests, but this week is particularly great. I need a one-off of this.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Solving the "Hardwon can be controlled by his mistress" thing is certainly a problem that needs to be solved, but after that, what's the big deal if he's a vampire from now on? I think that's kinda neat! He can be a chill vampire, like Regis from The Witcher! But funny!

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Solving the "Hardwon can be controlled by his mistress" thing is certainly a problem that needs to be solved, but after that, what's the big deal if he's a vampire from now on? I think that's kinda neat! He can be a chill vampire, like Regis from The Witcher! But funny!
I agree to an extent, but not being able to go out in daylight is a pretty big hinderance. And Murph seems fundamentally against keeping him a vampire. He keeps hammering how there just aren’t any good vampires, so I don’t think he’ll allow it as an option.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Being a vampire spawn like Hardwon has a lot of disadvantages that would make travel a major nuisance. They can't enter any residence without permission, running water causes them to melt, and the burned by sunlight thing is a problem. The good thing is that if they go by the book Vampire spawn don't burst into mist when they get to 0 hit points so killing Hardwon would leave an easy to find body to revivify.

It's kind of funny that the lowest level resurrection spell is also the only one other than the level 9 true resurrection that doesn't point out it can't bring the undead back to life. reincarnate would also work but then you have, like, a 25% chance to be an elf and who would want that?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oh, I didn't know the game went full on Every Vampire Cliche. Okay, that's pretty annoying. But like, I mean. It's all make believe. Just ignore that part.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
almost 3 hours, hell of a beefy sode

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i love emily's recurring Legally Distinct From The White Stripes' 'Blue Orchid' guitar riff when something cool happens

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 6, 2019

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Are they going to go back and kill the last dude or forget about it

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I really, really want to see fanart of Pawpaw tied to Deadeye.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Jake can't stop dying at the red fen lmao

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

RIP Javelin but pronounced silly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I just re-listened to the Crickmas episode because I'd spotted a short rest for it when looking through the available content after signing up for the Mixed Bag level tier and not being sure if I'd listened to that before, and it's making me remember that the team have already killed Galad not once, but twice; so now they're going for that hat-trick. I wonder what else they can take away from him now, given they've already taken Rosaline and Razorlight, along with his dignity given he offered to suck Hardwon's dick to live.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

What a delightful episode! I've always enjoyed Kid Cudi, I'm so glad he is inexplicably a NADPOD staple.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I somehow missed the Crickmas episode when it came out, so I just listened to that and the short rest and holy poo poo.

Murph says he used to played Joseph in the school nativity play and Emily says "Oh you got cucked by god" and it might be the funniest thing she's ever said.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I don’t know how it’s gonna shake out once the arc is over, but I’m glad they’re rolling with vampire Hardwon

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
When Deadeye isn't on screen, everyone should be asking, "Where's Deadeye?"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I don’t know how it’s gonna shake out once the arc is over, but I’m glad they’re rolling with vampire Hardwon

I don't know if you listen to the Short Rests, but during the latest one Jake said that he didn't want Hardwon to continue being a vampire, so he's probably going to go with a reincarnate. They did discuss that Jake would get bored or resentful if he ended up as a race he didn't like though, which essentially boils down to "any shorties"; their solution being to remove classes like Gnomes, Dwarves etc. and put in larger classes from the extended D'n'D 5th Edition. Which ones they'll include wasn't stated, but looking it up there's loads to choose from. They did mention a few during general discussion though, like Goliaths and Genassi; both of which Jake seemed interested in. As is, yeah, I'm glad they're having fun with it. Hardwon taking every chance to show off and turn in to a bat is great, as is him carving a picture in to his coffin after the whole crew go to sleep in it. Though it did make me wonder how they're transporting that around. I'd assume the bag of holding isn't big enough to fit an entire coffin.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

tsob posted:

I don't know if you listen to the Short Rests, but during the latest one Jake said that he didn't want Hardwon to continue being a vampire, so he's probably going to go with a reincarnate. They did discuss that Jake would get bored or resentful if he ended up as a race he didn't like though, which essentially boils down to "any shorties"; their solution being to remove classes like Gnomes, Dwarves etc. and put in larger classes from the extended D'n'D 5th Edition. Which ones they'll include wasn't stated, but looking it up there's loads to choose from. They did mention a few during general discussion though, like Goliaths and Genassi; both of which Jake seemed interested in. As is, yeah, I'm glad they're having fun with it. Hardwon taking every chance to show off and turn in to a bat is great, as is him carving a picture in to his coffin after the whole crew go to sleep in it. Though it did make me wonder how they're transporting that around. I'd assume the bag of holding isn't big enough to fit an entire coffin.
Needing to sleep in a coffin seems like an unnecessary logistical burden that Murph normally would've let them omit, but he hates PC vampires too much. (Although maybe he'll let it slide a bit by letting them cram it in the bag of holding.)

I hope they do go the reincarnation route (as opposed to some deus ex machina-style wish or true resurrection). I've always thought that was a fun D&D mechanic, and it'd be a fantastic moment for Moonshine.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Phlag posted:

Needing to sleep in a coffin seems like an unnecessary logistical burden that Murph normally would've let them omit, but he hates PC vampires too much. (Although maybe he'll let it slide a bit by letting them cram it in the bag of holding.)

I hope they do go the reincarnation route (as opposed to some deus ex machina-style wish or true resurrection). I've always thought that was a fun D&D mechanic, and it'd be a fantastic moment for Moonshine.

I was always under the impression that an easier way to bring back a vampire is to kill it for good, then raise dead on the body. Assuming Hardwon was ok with them killing him to get him back, which he probably would be. Reincarnate would be funnier though.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

seaborgium posted:

I was always under the impression that an easier way to bring back a vampire is to kill it for good, then raise dead on the body. Assuming Hardwon was ok with them killing him to get him back, which he probably would be. Reincarnate would be funnier though.

I initially floated that idea, but the more I think about it, won’t Hardwon just turn to mist and float back to his new coffin when his HP goes to zero? And if they tried to kill kill him, I’m guessing he’d just straight up disappear.

In other words, what body?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

timp posted:

I initially floated that idea, but the more I think about it, won’t Hardwon just turn to mist and float back to his new coffin when his HP goes to zero? And if they tried to kill kill him, I’m guessing he’d just straight up disappear.

In other words, what body?

I think it depends on the exact rules of the vampires they're using. Sometimes they turn to dust when killed permanently, which could count as the remains, or they're now just a dead body. I know they killed the other ones by filling the coffins with water, but did they ever say what happened after they killed them?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

tsob posted:

Haha yeah I posted that when I was about halfway through the actual ep, only to find myself looking the fool on the short rest. I got whomped, basically.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
In furtherance of that discussion, if they go the route of reincarnating Hardwon, what races would people more familiar with D'n'D like to see him as, or what races do you think it's likely Murph and Jake will place on the reincarnate roulette wheel? As I said, I tried looking it up myself out of curiosity, to see what races might be possible, but the D'n'D wikias and info pages are filled with loving dozens of possible races and since I don't play, I'm not familiar with how well known or liked a lot of them are.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
It would be really loving ironic if he became a dwarf. Because of that, it's my first choice.
Edit: Second choice is Dragonborn, because I think it would be an interesting change of pace that Jake would still really like.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

He'd probably find Goliath fun. I think he mentioned that they sounded cool.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I think he'd dig Goliath and Dragonborn most, if you like being fighty tough guys you can't beat 'basically a playable giant/dragon that won't break the party'.

I'm hoping for elf though just because A) I genuinely do think he could do some kind of fighty elf well, and B) it'd be real funny.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think a lot of the entertainment and dramatic value of having a full on Elf in the party is already going to be filled by Moonshine when she meets her dad. They've mentioned that the upcoming one shots for live shows will be taking alternate routes on past decisions, so I'd love to see one that picks up immediately after the reincarnation spell turns Hardwon in to a Gnome. I know he'd hate playing one for any real length of time, but for one 1.5/2 hour show, it seems like a comedy goldmine.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Tangentially related.

https://twitter.com/BrennanLM/status/1148344505101213696

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Of course Murph is a rat

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Similarly, of course Emily is a drunken master hairdresser trying to get over a bad breakup. As soon as I read the line "There’s an alcoholic hair dresser trying to drown away memories of her ex who’s also a monk focused on the Way of the Drunken Master." I knew, yeah, that's Emily's character. I'm still hoping she gets to play a Lucha skeleton at some point.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 10, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

Similarly, of course Emily is a drunken master hairdresser trying to get over a bad breakup. As soon as I read the line "There’s an alcoholic hair dresser trying to drown away memories of her ex who’s also a monk focused on the Way of the Drunken Master." I knew, yeah, that's Emily's character. I'm still hoping she gets to play a Lucha skeleton at some point.

this character rules but so do all the characters - dimension 20 is great, anyone who likes naddpod will love it

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hi friends! I'm on episode 35 and this is fantastic. I heard that the group is from SA or at least gave us a shoutout. Is that true?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I’m looking to get into Dimension 20, possibly today at work since NADDPOD is delayed until tonight. Would I be able to enjoy it via audio only, aka playing in a minimized tab, or does it need to be watched for some reason be fully appreciated?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

timp posted:

I’m looking to get into Dimension 20, possibly today at work since NADDPOD is delayed until tonight. Would I be able to enjoy it via audio only, aka playing in a minimized tab, or does it need to be watched for some reason be fully appreciated?

There are cut-in images during character introductions, and an enormous amount of work went into the miniatures and the battlefields for the fight episodes. They also keep track of hit points whenever someone gets healed or takes damage with little health meters.

For the most part though, you're definitely fine to just listen and only tab over when a new character shows up, or something interesting gets described in battle. Brennan really wanted the fights to be spectacular, and they almost all have something insane going on. This is especially true in Bloodkeep.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

timp posted:

I had it on a second monitor the whole time and would say it would be okay as just audio.
They did put a lot of effort into the production and I like the little looks they give each other but it's not a deal breaker.

It pretty much solidified my DropOut sub (plus the Drawfee stuff).

RC Cola posted:

Hi friends! I'm on episode 35 and this is fantastic. I heard that the group is from SA or at least gave us a shoutout. Is that true?

They reference SA at least once. If they were ever posters, I doubt they are still.

Weird how a lot of talented people were once Goons but never stick around (because we're trash).

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the party just got played so hard in that zone of truth I just know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Farg posted:

the party just got played so hard in that zone of truth I just know it

Surely no-one with a pet that cute would ever be a bad person. It's hilarious that Murph now knows exactly how to manipulate them, and is openly admitting it when they call him on it in the Short Rest. That said, I don't really see why the necromancer would betray them or be a bad guy in disguise, because there's already enough drama through him with his relationship to Moonshine's father and the fact he inadvertently caused a rift between the father and Jolene that's affecting the Crick Elves present situation and he's already acting as the gateway to action with a new group in the Gravediggers. Any extra drama or action he can offer by making him a betrayer seems like it'd be so inconsequential compared to those as to be pointless. Especially with how conflicted and emotional the things he already said to Moonshine made Emily feel. She already said that she's glad that he wasn't actually her dad in the Short Rest as Murph thought about doing, because she's having trouble enough digesting what did happen and that might have been too much. Having him be someone who's using them would probably give much the same result and tip the scales too far in one direction for them to really enjoy it. If he was going to gently caress them despite the Zone of Truth, I'd assume it's in somewhat the same way as Deadeye did, where he just wasn't being entirely honest with them and is still an ally afterwards. I'd think Emily is right too, in that a nice guy necromancer who just likes helping the dead is too fun an idea to spoil by actually making him evil too.

All that said, the best part of the episode was still Bootwon. Especially with the Short Rest clarifying that he was a single tiny toddler booty. Jake getting so annoyed about the size of it, but in a jokey way and enjoying something so silly so much is what makes this show great. "Guys, I know I was the boot" :(