Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Biollante is Godzilla's sister, right? Lol.

I

Yes?

Sister or daughter. However you'd call an altered clone using your DNA mixed with something else. (inhabited by the soul of another person)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Burkion posted:

Oh boy

So let me introduce you to Japan Is Really Racist Against Other Asian People, Especially Islanders

You'll see this crop up...a few times. (Stares at King Kong VS Godzilla)

Christ almighty, is this still prevalent in current day Japan? I knew xenophobia was a problem, but didn't know if it was specific to certain groups.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Burkion posted:

I

Yes?

Sister or daughter. However you'd call an altered clone using your DNA mixed with something else. (inhabited by the soul of another person)

Was thinking the illustration could also be the same-ish as Godzilla's but with makeup and plant hair :3:

Sassy black lady that won't take any poo poo works for me too though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

Christ almighty, is this still prevalent in current day Japan? I knew xenophobia was a problem, but didn't know if it was specific to certain groups.

Japan has, largely, softened on this. Like, there's no real racism (hateful anyways) against black people in Japan. Most of it is just appropriating racist things because they found them cute. (Jinx, Mr. Popo)

But when you get to other Asian people and cultures, woo boy. For a long time in Japan, if you weren't from the mainland, you weren't 'really' Japanese. And dressing people up in native garb with brown skin will continue for all of the Showa era and makes a return in Anime Godzilla movies.

For what it's worth I think they largely stop doing it after the 60s and I do think things are...nicer, now. But only by so much.

(There's a reason why Shin Godzilla made such a big deal about the female lead being mixed in the story, because that poo poo will get you side eyed hard by the traditionalists)

teagone posted:

Was thinking the illustration could also be the same-ish as Godzilla's but with makeup and plant hair :3:

Sassy black lady that won't take any poo poo works for me too though.

Fully agreed here

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Gamera being a gamer is Just Too Good

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Gamera being a gamer is Just Too Good

Beat me to it. Just imagining him getting scared and tucking his arms and head inside his hoodie.

Might want to keep an eye on him around kids though. He could start taking that "Friend to all children" thing in a creepy direction.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

teagone posted:

I like all the Mothra scenes. And her creature design was beautiful. I want a big-budget Hollywood Mothra movie basically. With more Zhang Ziyi :allears:

Agreed!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Might want to keep an eye on him around kids though. He could start taking that "Friend to all children" thing in a creepy direction.

Sad. Even after saving the world multiple times, Gamera is a victim of Gamer Oppression.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Saw KOTM in 4DX today and even though I hated 4DX the first time I did it(BvS, worst movie for it) it was an absolute blast of an experience with this movie. Basically felt like a 2 hour top tier Universal Studios ride. Feeling Godzillas stomp and roar was a dream come true.

Its in on the better side of mediocre blockbuster scripts but its no dumber than any of my favorite Godzilla movies. The story was fine, the set up was fine. It had some pacing issues and some weird editing but its nothing egregious.

I wouldnt say its as good a film as Edwards 2014, but I came out of both about as equally satisfied, which was a lot.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

Japan is extremely racist against Japanese people that came from towns with too many butchers.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Tekne posted:

Without Mothra I think he would've gone off like a Warhammer WMD, obliterating everything in the area and beyond except maybe Ghidorah.

Yeah they specifically say that's going to happen, then something profound happens to cancel the apocalypse instead.

I don't know how people missed that plot thread. It's actually a pretty cool reference to his dual roles in past films. Everybody is scared of Godzilla (who is originally in movies a horror specter of nuclear destruction) literally going up in a mushroom cloud... and instead they're proven wrong, benevolent symbiosis with Mothra happens, and he cements himself as the protector figure instead.

A running thread is "the military analysts are wrong." That goes for antagonists and protagonists both.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 6, 2019

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm rewatching Godzilla '14 and I still really love that Cranston basically channels Jack Lemmon. It's a good way to go if you're looking for those "pathetic dad" vibes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's gonna color my next rewatch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cranston was always a sad bad dad.

I love the scene where Ford gets to the prison, and the family screams at their rebellious teenage son, and then out comes Cranston. Good joke.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

AccountSupervisor posted:

Saw KOTM in 4DX today and even though I hated 4DX the first time I did it(BvS, worst movie for it) it was an absolute blast of an experience with this movie. Basically felt like a 2 hour top tier Universal Studios ride. Feeling Godzillas stomp and roar was a dream come true.

Its in on the better side of mediocre blockbuster scripts but its no dumber than any of my favorite Godzilla movies. The story was fine, the set up was fine. It had some pacing issues and some weird editing but its nothing egregious.

I wouldnt say its as good a film as Edwards 2014, but I came out of both about as equally satisfied, which was a lot.

I think KOTM is much better than 2014, and honestly probably my favorite movie of the last few years.

But then I'm a lifelong Godzilla fan, and KOTM is basically 2 hours of classic Godzilla references and Easter Eggs injected directly into my eyes and I love it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/kenhi7000/status/1136604107249147904

I adore the creativity that KotM's spawned and I can't wait to see what people do for GvK

Violator
May 15, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/kenhi7000/status/1136604107249147904

I adore the creativity that KotM's spawned and I can't wait to see what people do for GvK

I see art like this, and even the official art that was released, and wish the movie looked more like this. Wide clear views of the monsters fighting instead of ground level shaky cam during a hurricane. The trailers included beautiful shots like these but that’s all there was, two minutes out of two hours.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Panfilo posted:

Beat me to it. Just imagining him getting scared and tucking his arms and head inside his hoodie.

Oh no! Gamera is having a heated gaming moment!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfT1n7cWjKQ

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Once that jacket is won I'm going to be on watch for it on Yahoo Japan Auctions and Mandarake to see if it shows up there. I'm curious what the as what the asking price will be since it's unique.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
LA-area goons might want to check out Kaiju Con at the Japanese American National Museum: http://www.janm.org/exhibits/kaiju-vs-heroes/kaiju-con/

June 15th, includes a showing of Godzilla vs. Mothra 1965.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Saw it this evening and enjoyed it. Could have used more Mothra. Human parts were better than post-Cranston G14 but had too many characters and too little for them to do.

I have a friend who's having an absolute conniption over the Oxygen Destroyer being useless and a nuke being used to heal Godzilla. She's a big fan of the Japanese Godzillas, and a Godzilla movie showing nukes positively has broken her.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

Saw it this evening and enjoyed it. Could have used more Mothra. Human parts were better than post-Cranston G14 but had too many characters and too little for them to do.

I have a friend who's having an absolute conniption over the Oxygen Destroyer being useless and a nuke being used to heal Godzilla. She's a big fan of the Japanese Godzillas, and a Godzilla movie showing nukes positively has broken her.

tell her I sympathise 1000%

Those are my two major problems with the movie

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Failson posted:

LA-area goons might want to check out Kaiju Con at the Japanese American National Museum: http://www.janm.org/exhibits/kaiju-vs-heroes/kaiju-con/

June 15th, includes a showing of Godzilla vs. Mothra 1965.

See me there! I'll be sharing a booth with Michael (Obsessed Panda) Devara selling some various custom painted Kaiju soft vinyls as well as my Witch Cat Lulu Sofubi (see more on IG at CatMagicToys)

Marusan Toy from Japan will be there as well with some exclusive Ultraman soft vinyls. Since the Godzilla license is a separate thing they can't bring any of their Toho figures, but the loophole one is they will have some Jirass soft vinyls

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByV2keynGxo/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edit: Anyone who loves tokusatsu and Kaiju should go see the museum exhibit on Mark Nagata's collection that is showing there until the end of the month anyway. It's really incredible.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 7, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

The Oxygen Destroyer thing makes sense, since Ghidorah is an alien and all. It royally hosed up Godzilla and killed everything else in range, but the space-dragon doesn't need oxygen, what with the flying through space, so. Yeah.

As for the nuke, well, that's a bit weird, but someone else in this thread made a point regarding the environmentalist message of the movie that made some sense to me. If we want to avert real climate disaster, nuclear power will likely need to be used a lot more than it is to replace all the fossil fuels and stuff being used. But... Yeah, still, that was a really questionable decision still, so I'm not going to blame anyone for disliking it.

Also, yes, more Mothra.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Roland Jones posted:

As for the nuke, well, that's a bit weird, but someone else in this thread made a point regarding the environmentalist message of the movie that made some sense to me. If we want to avert real climate disaster, nuclear power will likely need to be used a lot more than it is to replace all the fossil fuels and stuff being used. But... Yeah, still, that was a really questionable decision still, so I'm not going to blame anyone for disliking it.

To me, a nuke being Godzilla's salvation seems like the logical conclusion of the "Godzilla is an atomic bomb" metaphor. G14 already implied that the attempts to kill Godzilla with nukes in the Pacific only made him stronger, and this runs with that idea. Makes the name of Monarch's headquarters where they study Godzilla even more meaningful: Castle Bravo, the name of the largest nuclear detonation in history, which G14 established was an attempt to kill Godzilla that did nothing of the sort. Remember that this particular Godzilla wasn't woken up by nukes, but by the USS Nautilus when it passed through the Pacific deep - the world's first nuclear powered submarine, and it woke Godzilla up with stray emissions from its reactor just passing by.

I also see it tying into the bit of discussion in the movie about humanity being an apex predator on par with the kaiju. Even if humanity is still mostly ineffectual in the movie, humanity is what gives Godzilla the juice he needs to take out Ghidorah along with Mothra. It's only by combining the strength and power of Mothra, Godzilla, and humanity that Ghidorah is finally brought low... Well, unless you think Godzilla would have killed Ghidorah at Mexico. I'm not convinced he would have been able to finish the job considering Ghidorah's regenerative powers.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
A minor quibble, but Castle Bravo was less than 1/3rd the strength of the largest nuclear detonation in history. It was notable only for being the strongest tested by the US (at the time) and the first of the US's high yield designs.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

To me, a nuke being Godzilla's salvation seems like the logical conclusion of the "Godzilla is an atomic bomb" metaphor. G14 already implied that the attempts to kill Godzilla with nukes in the Pacific only made him stronger, and this runs with that idea. Makes the name of Monarch's headquarters where they study Godzilla even more meaningful: Castle Bravo, the name of the largest nuclear detonation in history, which G14 established was an attempt to kill Godzilla that did nothing of the sort. Remember that this particular Godzilla wasn't woken up by nukes, but by the USS Nautilus when it passed through the Pacific deep - the world's first nuclear powered submarine, and it woke Godzilla up with stray emissions from its reactor just passing by.

I also see it tying into the bit of discussion in the movie about humanity being an apex predator on par with the kaiju. Even if humanity is still mostly ineffectual in the movie, humanity is what gives Godzilla the juice he needs to take out Ghidorah along with Mothra. It's only by combining the strength and power of Mothra, Godzilla, and humanity that Ghidorah is finally brought low... Well, unless you think Godzilla would have killed Ghidorah at Mexico. I'm not convinced he would have been able to finish the job considering Ghidorah's regenerative powers.

Yeah, I was thinking about it after making that post, and while directly using a nuke is still a step further, Godzilla has always been a metaphor for the atomic bomb and whatnot, but has been "heroic" on and off for a long time. Going from "Godzilla is a nuke, and can sometimes be good," to "nukes/nuclear power can sometimes be good" is more direct, it isn't exactly out of line with where things have gone over the decades.

Plus, it wasn't entirely positive; it healed Godzilla quickly, sure, but at the cost of Serizawa's life, and it overcharged him to a dangerous level that could have killed him too, and it was only at the cost of Mothra's life that Godzilla was able to control it instead of going off and taking out the rest of Boston with him. So it was still extremely dangerous and needed careful use to not bring about disaster with it, but had potential beneficial applications; if you take it, again, as representative of nuclear power in general or whatever, then it seems less objectionable I think. But, again, I can still understand why some people wouldn't like it anyway.

Unrelated, from Dougherty's Twitter, an excerpt from the novelization describing what Kong was up to during the movie:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1136600770663501824

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about it after making that post, and while directly using a nuke is still a step further, Godzilla has always been a metaphor for the atomic bomb and whatnot, but has been "heroic" on and off for a long time. Going from "Godzilla is a nuke, and can sometimes be good," to "nukes/nuclear power can sometimes be good" is more direct, it isn't exactly out of line with where things have gone over the decades.

I also think it's a context for nukes that works for an American audience. Whatever Japan feels, to most Americans - especially at the time - the atomic bomb and its use was a genuinely good thing. Horrible, yes, risky as all hell, a terrible step into a brave new world we feared we couldn't control... but it was necessary at the time, and few people involved in building and using the atomic bombs shed tears about it. A good thing in that context at that time, and we all pray it will never be used again.

Please don't turn this into a debate over the morality of the atomic bomb, I'm just saying that was the American context for the atomic bomb at the time, and thus an appropriate context for an American Godzilla vis a vis nukes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is never going to end now

https://twitter.com/theferretman21/status/1136495160076918786
https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1136518916736524288

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I want a scene with Mothra perched on Big G's shoulder, damnit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want Mothra to lift Godzilla up and throw him at another Kaiju like a cannonball

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I want Mothra to lift Godzilla up and throw him at another Kaiju like a cannonball

Rodan has done this in the past

It was baller

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think Mothra's symbiosis with Godzilla is like those birds that get bears or badgers to follow them to a beehive so that they tear the Hive open and the bird can get at the good stuff without having to deal with bees.

In this case, Mothra is able to summon Godzilla places, perhaps to safely absorb radiation or something. On the flip side, Godzilla can't fly which puts him at a disadvantage against flying monsters,so having air support is useful.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Burkion posted:

Rodan has done this in the past

It was baller

Rodan carried larva Mothra to fight Ghidorah in one of the movies. I was disappointed it wasn't in this movie.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Did I miss something or does Mothra just get wiped out by a beam from Ghidorah and.... that's kind of it? I expected her to donate some energy to Godzilla or give him an opening or take a pounding while he was down or something a little bigger than uh, she kind of lands on him while he's down like 'hold on big guy, I got this!' and then gets immediately obliterated?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harime Nui posted:

Did I miss something or does Mothra just get wiped out by a beam from Ghidorah and.... that's kind of it? I expected her to donate some energy to Godzilla or give him an opening or take a pounding while he was down or something a little bigger than uh, she kind of lands on him while he's down like 'hold on big guy, I got this!' and then gets immediately obliterated?

When she's vaporized, her energy settles over Godzilla and stabilizes him. In the finale, when godzilla goes critical mass, it's just as much her power as it is his-

Her cry also can be heard every time Godzilla lets out a nuclear pulse.

This, amusingly, is what Rodan did for Godzilla in the 93 film VS MechaGodzilla II, and what Mothra did for GHIDORAH in GMK

loving twitter

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Burkion posted:

When she's vaporized, her energy settles over Godzilla and stabilizes him. In the finale, when godzilla goes critical mass, it's just as much her power as it is his-

Her cry also can be heard every time Godzilla lets out a nuclear pulse.

This, amusingly, is what Rodan did for Godzilla in the 93 film VS MechaGodzilla II, and what Mothra did for GHIDORAH in GMK

loving twitter

Aaso. I thought with the first pulse from Godzilla I saw her wings in outline maybe but wasn't sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Non-KOTM question: why is Battra named Battra? She's clearly not a bat. She starts out as a caterpillar, for God's sake!