Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kazinsal posted:

James Mickens' bit on the Mossad/Not Mossad Threat Model is something that deeply applies here

i didn't even know this was a thing; i too mention the mossad but the example i use is a trustworthy host-nation employee who gets flipped overnight cause the target audience can relate to that

the insider threat is way more realistic than some agent of evil shutting himself in your cabinet and waiting for you to go afk, state actors don't care about you and if they did you're hosed, and if the taliban take one of your kids then you'll do whatever you think you need to do anyway

infernal machines posted:

trying to manage endpoint security on employee owned devices.

managing endpoint security on employer-owned devices is hard enough thank you very much

byodon't think so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tankakern posted:

what fud is this, "latent malware" if you flatten and reinstall?
Windows Platform Binary Table.

power botton posted:

lets not forget persistant malware in your bios that exfiltrates data through microwaves or morse code or something
Doesn't exfiltrate poo poo, windows will happily run it elevated

quote:

your intel-based laptop comes with three operating systems installed, and you can only have an effect on the one that is least trusted and loads last.
This is the root of the issue if you're serious about it. For Joe Average even just formatting the drive is fine.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 6, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

evil_bunnY posted:

Doesn't exfiltrate poo poo, windows will happily run it elevated

i'm p. sure that was a "badbios" reference

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
nicky mossad ft. badbios

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
more like bhad bhios

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

apparently we're going to be writing software that runs on and operates self-checkouts :shepicide:

any hot tips on making sure i don't get thrown under the bus when 5 million credit card numbers wind up on the darknet and they need someone to blame

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shame Boy posted:

apparently we're going to be writing software that runs on and operates self-checkouts :shepicide:

any hot tips on making sure i don't get thrown under the bus when 5 million credit card numbers wind up on the darknet and they need someone to blame

use e2e credit card scanners and make it a subcontractor's liability

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you're doing things properly you should only be dealing with authorizations coming back from the card terminal. you should never have card numbers or personal details.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
dehumanize yourself and face to PCI DSS

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Shaggar posted:

if you're doing things properly you should only be dealing with authorizations coming back from the card terminal. you should never have card numbers or personal details.

yeah this is how we already do things when we touch credit cards, except in specific situations where we got it in writing from both our client and our PCI person that "oh no that's not actually a PCI thing so it's fine" even though i'm pretty sure it is a PCI thing but w/e

at least that's what we're doing for credit card info, personal info on the other hand...

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

if you have to ask if its in pci scope, it is absolutely in pci scope

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like we've done plenty of payment integration with card scanners that do all the auth and number handling and poo poo for us, that's our whole thing these days, but so far they're all systems that are exclusively operated by employees of a store and not really accessible to the general public so this should be... exciting...

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the best solution is not to have the data at all. second best solution is to let someone else handle storage of the data.

is this data you need to collect from the user during the transaction or is it something being sent to your software from something else?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

like we've done plenty of payment integration with card scanners that do all the auth and number handling and poo poo for us, that's our whole thing these days, but so far they're all systems that are exclusively operated by employees of a store and not really accessible to the general public so this should be... exciting...

what payment systems are accessible to the public? that sounds insane.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i guess you're worried about pii from a store loyalty card perspective? that's the only situation i can imagine a self checkout system coming into contact with that - but even then i assume you'd actually just be passing around a token to a back end system.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Shaggar posted:

what payment systems are accessible to the public? that sounds insane.

Self-checkout systems (I assume the poster's referring to physical self-checkout)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We segregate our payment processing up entirely, the only thing we get out of it is the confirmation number to 'Approve' the transaction at the register, everything else is handled by a segregated network that only touches our datacenter.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

the best solution is not to have the data at all. second best solution is to let someone else handle storage of the data.

is this data you need to collect from the user during the transaction or is it something being sent to your software from something else?

pretty sure it's all "needed" if you define that to mean "is part of a feature the client specifically wants". now in terms of "actually necessary for the task of ringing up your poo poo" then... that's a different matter

anyway if this works out like old projects i should wind up working on backend hardware stuff and not touching any of that personal data myself, but i'm trying to get ahead of any dumbass ideas that will gently caress us over even if they don't directly have to do with me. most of the stuff y'all have mentioned is stuff i push for anyway so I guess i'm on the right track already

also i wanted to bitch to the thread a bit because that's therapeutic, thanks for listening

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

Self-checkout systems (I assume the poster's referring to physical self-checkout)

yeah this is a physical self-checkout koisk to be clear

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

do you get to design any of the UX? go and stand around a self-checkout for at least one working day and write down everything you see people doing, particularly if they're struggling. the user interaction with those machines could be so so much better

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chalks posted:

i guess you're worried about pii from a store loyalty card perspective? that's the only situation i can imagine a self checkout system coming into contact with that - but even then i assume you'd actually just be passing around a token to a back end system.

yeah the loyalty system is where it's coming up, you got it. maybe we could deal with that using tokens but then how could we ~~~personalize the experience~~~ and ~~~recommend products~~~ huh???

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

do you get to design any of the UX? go and stand around a self-checkout for at least one working day and write down everything you see people doing, particularly if they're struggling. the user interaction with those machines could be so so much better

our UI/UX team will be designing it and they're generally pretty good about stuff like that, i'll mention the idea to em' cuz yeah by default they're awful...

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

yeah the loyalty system is where it's coming up, you got it. maybe we could deal with that using tokens but then how could we ~~~personalize the experience~~~ and ~~~recommend products~~~ huh???

oh man, i'm looking forward to a self checkout suggest that i turn around and go back into the store to pick up some recommended products

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

our UI/UX team will be designing it and they're generally pretty good about stuff like that, i'll mention the idea to em' cuz yeah by default they're awful...

if the UX team doesn't already do observational user research uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the vast majority of software ux design is based on literally nothing and it's shameful as hell

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

if the UX team doesn't already do observational user research uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

maybe they do? i know they've gone on field trips to client stores before, idk man they're on the other side of the building and i work on server/hardware/backend stuff so i rarely talk to them :shrug:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Imo unless it's a 100% unattended self-checkout system that's outside I'd think the added security concerns above and beyond normal POS issues would be minimal.

Are skimmers or other public physical access fuckery issues actually a thing for grocery store self-checkout?

(Also yeah, seconding the "fix the drat ux first" post)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

it should be harder. its too easy for old people to use and they clog up the self checkout lanes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chalks posted:

oh man, i'm looking forward to a self checkout suggest that i turn around and go back into the store to pick up some recommended products

i've seen the future of retail and it's awful, every place apparently took a look at the internet of tracking scripts and targeted ads and amazon's recommendation system and went "hm yes this is good, let's implement a physical version of this somehow"

at least we've mostly avoided doing that poo poo ourselves, though i wonder how long that will last...

El Mero Mero posted:

Imo unless it's a 100% unattended self-checkout system that's outside I'd think the added security concerns above and beyond normal POS issues would be minimal.

Are skimmers or other public physical access fuckery issues actually a thing for grocery store self-checkout?

(Also yeah, seconding the "fix the drat ux first" post)

it should be the usual "one person standing there managing the thing" self-checkout so it's probably fine

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Chalks posted:

Lol at this lack of awareness of the coupons that get shitted out at the same time as the receipt

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Lol at this lack of awareness of the coupons that get shitted out at the same time as the receipt

now what if those coupons were screens and they were all around the store and reacted to you approaching them and also your phone buzzed and the Official Wal Mart Customer Love And Appreciation LGBT Awareness App popped up to tell you about the fantastic deals

never ever install a store app is what i'm saying. i mean not that any of you would have in the first place but still.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shame Boy posted:

never ever install a store app is what i'm saying.

:hai:

I stopped using the self check-out scanners that let you basically bag your stuff as you go because they would. not. stop. making GBS threads out "offers" as you shopped with an obnoxious cash register ka-ching noise every 15 seconds.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

It seems like a lot the problems are created intentionally, though. The ones where you have to wait for it to weight stuff take forever, and lots of products at most stores are unscannable and require employee intervention.

Probably the best ones I've used so far are at Sam's Club because you don't have to weigh items and there's no bagging anyway, so all you have to do is use the wand to scan each item and then slide them to the other side of your cart (so you know which ones you've scanned). They're so fast there's basically never any line (they then gently caress this up by having a huge line to have your receipt checked, of course.)

There are pure UX issues like searching being really slow, but I think normal grocery stores could be a lot faster if they stopped requiring you to weigh the items and then moved bagging to a separate location *after* the self-checkout machines.

For produce it would probably be better to have preprinted barcodes that you could stick on the bags.

Also, the idea of devices that you take around the store to prescan stuff (or a smartphone app) is good but in practice stores screw this up by making you wait in the same lines as assholes who get into the self-checkout line with 10,000 things in their cart and then sometimes making you have an employee come over to see if you've actually checked everything.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 6, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Volmarias posted:

:hai:

I stopped using the self check-out scanners that let you basically bag your stuff as you go because they would. not. stop. making GBS threads out "offers" as you shopped with an obnoxious cash register ka-ching noise every 15 seconds.

they used to have ones here when the bagging area was a small carousel like the attended checkout has so you could just pull from your cart directly, scan, and bag all in one motion. But then they took them away and replaced them with a big chute so you have to dump all your poo poo in to a messy pile then go bag it up as a second step and now I just use the attended lanes every time as protest

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

this. all you should be doing is passing the transaction amount and getting a yes/no back

I just use the attended lanes every time as protest
correct move. the first time I got selected for a “random” bag check and the attendent was surprised she didn’t get to just grab my pack and start shuffling inside was the last time I’ve used a self checkout

Shame Boy posted:

yeah this is a physical self-checkout koisk to be clear
if you’ve got your poo poo together a checkout employee can already do very little more than what a customer can achieve at a kiosk/lane.

the loyalty poo poo should be handled exactly the same way as it is with cashiers.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 6, 2019

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

It seems like a lot the problems are created intentionally, though. The ones where you have to wait for it to weight stuff take forever, and lots of products at most stores are unscannable and require employee intervention.

Probably the best ones I've used so far are at Sam's Club because you don't have to weigh items and there's no bagging anyway, so all you have to do is use the wand to scan each item and then slide them to the other side of your cart (so you know which ones you've scanned). They're so fast there's basically never any line (they then gently caress this up by having a huge line to have your receipt checked, of course.)

There are pure UX issues like searching being really slow, but I think normal grocery stores could be a lot faster if they stopped requiring you to weigh the items and then moved bagging to a separate location *after* the self-checkout machines.

For produce it would probably be better to have preprinted barcodes that you could stick on the bags.

Also, the idea of devices that you take around the store to prescan stuff (or a smartphone app) is good but in practice stores screw this up by making you wait in the same lines as assholes who get into the self-checkout line with 10,000 things in their cart and then sometimes making you have an employee come over to see if you've actually checked everything.

are you saying you have to weigh every item not just the ones that are priced by weight?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

PCI constraints are pretty clearly defined. If something seems suspicious the rules are available for you to verify it for yourself. Everyone has the same reasonable advice about avoiding the storage and (hopefully) in memory handling of sensitive data. Just be sure to be careful about the usual bullshit too like accidental handling of logging, exposing error codes, tokens, and traceable transactions.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

are you saying you have to weigh every item not just the ones that are priced by weight?

yeah, its a theft control mechanism so you don't run through a stack of the same item but only scan the bottom one or whatever. that's why it yells at you to put the item in your cart and stops you from scanning the next thing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

there's a scale built in to the bagging area that automatically weighs every item as you pass it through. you have to wait for it to finish doing that before you can scan your next item, and if it gets the weight wrong or if your thing doesn't weigh what it expects it flags you and the attendant has to come over and override it, it's real dumb. supposedly it's there to prevent shoplifting but i'm really not sure how the gently caress it's supposed to do that. like are people going to put the stuff they're shoplifting on the scale area to weigh it?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I think they have a weight estimate for the item in a database somewhere linked to the upc, and they can probably calculate it dynamically from previous people scanning and bagging the same item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

one of the asks from one of our own executives was if we could figure out a way to either "fix" the scale component to not suck, or disable it altogether but still retain it's anti-theft effects

since i seriously doubt it actually has any anti-theft effects i'm pretty sure we can just disable it and everything will be fine