Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

are you saying you have to weigh every item not just the ones that are priced by weight?
Sorry, what I wrote was unclear. There are two different things: the scale by the scanner and a weight sensor in the bag area.

When supermarkets have the weight sensor in the bag area activated the whole process is really slow and finicky because you have to put each item on it and weight for it to (presumably) decide if the weight is within some sort of range of a programmed value, but it's very error prone.

If you can just keep the items in the cart and scan it's much, much faster.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I knew a girl in college who was all about shoplifting her rear end off. Came from means, didn't need to, still did it all the time. Loved those early self-checkout systems because it made it so much easier for her

Run through a stack of 3 DVDs at the same time, scanner deactives the alarm thinger on all three but only scans one, inside weight tolerance for the bagging scale

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I think they have a weight estimate for the item in a database somewhere linked to the upc, and they can probably calculate it dynamically from previous people scanning and bagging the same item

this sounds like a solution that might actually work in the real world, so clearly nobody is doing anything like this

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i have no idea how the scale works yet, we're just getting our dev self-checkout koisk set up in the lab right now, but i guarantee it's doing the stupidest option possible because that's what all POS software does

mystes
May 31, 2006

I knew a girl in college who was all about shoplifting her rear end off. Came from means, didn't need to, still did it all the time. Loved those early self-checkout systems because it made it so much easier for her

Run through a stack of 3 DVDs at the same time, scanner deactives the alarm thinger on all three but only scans one, inside weight tolerance for the bagging scale
I think a lot of this stuff is just annoying for normal users without actually stopping shoplifters.

The dumbest was when I tried to use the scanner devices you can carry around with you in the supermarket in a Giant supermaket (same as Stop and Shop). I was biking to the store so I thought it would save time if I could just scan stuff and put it in my bag so I didn't have to rebag it when I got to the register.

However, it seemed that as long as the store wasn't busy it would always make me have an employee check what i was buying for security. The amazing thing was that rather than having them look for expensive items or something, the way it worked was that they would grab the top three items from my bag to check if I had really scanned them.

This pissed me off a lot because it would take like 10 minutes (mostly trying to get the attention of an employee) and there was no effort to see if *all* items had been scanned (even counting) so someone who wanted to shoplift could have just put expensive unscanned items at the bottom of their groceries. Why waste my time for something that's obviously not going to stop shoplifters?!

Also, as I said it seemed to be based purely on how busy the store was so a shoplifter could have just gone at a busy time (I tended to go later in the evening when the store was quiet).

Also even if it didn't make you have your groceries checked, there was some stupid part of the process you were supposed to scan a barcode by the register so the data could be transferred from the scanner to the register where if you did it in the wrong order it would just stop working and you would have to wait for someone to help you.

Lol, I clearly care about self-checkout machines way too much.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Shame Boy posted:

one of the asks from one of our own executives was if we could figure out a way to either "fix" the scale component to not suck, or disable it altogether but still retain it's anti-theft effects

since i seriously doubt it actually has any anti-theft effects i'm pretty sure we can just disable it and everything will be fine

the best self-checkouts in the city don't appear to use scales, they have cameras and a person

still no "qty" button though, which sucks when you're buying like 30 of a hand-size something with a tiny stick-on barcode that doesn't scan half the time

mystes
May 31, 2006

The home depot self-checkout scanners seem like they actually have some way to enter quantity but the interface is insane (there's no UI on the touchscreen and there are zillion unlabelled buttons on the scanner) so I couldn't figure it out the other day and I ended up entering the extremely long barcode for a bolt over and over again by hand (for some reason the barcode wasn't working either).

It was actually really weird. Don't hardware stores sometimes have envelopes for you to put small hardware in so you can label it so you can be charged properly?

At home depot I ended up taking a picture of the label/barcode when I grabbed the bolts on my smartphone because I literally couldn't figure out how else I would be able to pay for them. I would have just gone to a normal checkout aisle rather than self-checkout but they didn't seem to have any. I guess this is what it's like living in the future?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Are you me? I was talking specifically about my home depot experience just yesterday, buying a few dozen angle brackets and other assorted parts. Felt weird beeping one in my hand and pitching another in the bag, but I was too annoyed to care and the person didn't say anything.

Loose bits are so frustrating. You can't tell me the guy working at bulk barn can distinguish eleven unlabeled bags of white powder and type their SKUs in without even looking at the POS to verify he's got them right (because he knows), but a cashier at the end of the fasteners aisle is mystified by a 2" #8 wood screw.

I renew my glowing praise for shoppers drug mart and the gift they've given us with these things (even if they are being kind of lovely to their existing staff about them) http://www.canadiangrocer.com/top-stories/shoppers-drug-mart-giving-self-checkouts-a-new-voice-75707

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah, its a theft control mechanism so you don't run through a stack of the same item but only scan the bottom one or whatever. that's why it yells at you to put the item in your cart and stops you from scanning the next thing

ive never had that happen with a self checkout. you just scan it and throw it in the bag area. the bag area has a sensor to detect that you put it there but if you're just sticking stuff in the bag after scanning its never a problem.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

Sorry, what I wrote was unclear. There are two different things: the scale by the scanner and a weight sensor in the bag area.

When supermarkets have the weight sensor in the bag area activated the whole process is really slow and finicky because you have to put each item on it and weight for it to (presumably) decide if the weight is within some sort of range of a programmed value, but it's very error prone.

If you can just keep the items in the cart and scan it's much, much faster.

yeah that thing, but its always off or set to not be so sensitive.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

mystes posted:

The home depot self-checkout scanners seem like they actually have some way to enter quantity but the interface is insane (there's no UI on the touchscreen and there are zillion unlabelled buttons on the scanner) so I couldn't figure it out the other day and I ended up entering the extremely long barcode for a bolt over and over again by hand (for some reason the barcode wasn't working either).

the ones here just got new ones here with gigantic touchscreen displays the size of a tv and a wireless scanning gun, they're p.good and you can do quantity scanning

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i thought y'all were talking about weighing things on the actual scanner/scale which would be terrible

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

yeah that thing, but its always off or set to not be so sensitive.

i assume they can adjust it on a per-store basis because i've been to some that are fine and like you describe, and i've been to some that are absurdly sensitive and get mad very easily if you don't carefully put the thing in the right place and make sure its full weight is resting on the sensor thing. now i get to be the person who decides that i guess :confuoot:

mystes posted:

I think a lot of this stuff is just annoying for normal users without actually stopping shoplifters.

one of our customers a/b tested other stuff to stop shoplifters that's a lot less inconvenient, and the most effective was just shaming them. like if you have a picture of a person looking them in the eye on your app or checkout koisk or screen or whatever, people shoplift much less even though it's just a picture.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 6, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

one of our customers a/b tested other stuff to stop shoplifters that's a lot less inconvenient, and the most effective was just shaming them. like if you have a picture of a person looking them in the eye on your app or checkout koisk or screen or whatever, people shoplift much less even though it's just a picture.
I honestly wouldn't mind having a person literally watching me over skype or something as long as I could actually get immediate assistance from them when needed.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA

PLEASE WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

*BLEERPRPP* Your loyalty card cannot be scanned at this time. Please scan your card after you have scanned your last item.

*clicks "pay now"*

DO YOU HAVE A LOYALTY CARD

do you have a urine-resistant motherboard?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Shame Boy posted:

there's a scale built in to the bagging area that automatically weighs every item as you pass it through. you have to wait for it to finish doing that before you can scan your next item, and if it gets the weight wrong or if your thing doesn't weigh what it expects it flags you and the attendant has to come over and override it, it's real dumb. supposedly it's there to prevent shoplifting but i'm really not sure how the gently caress it's supposed to do that. like are people going to put the stuff they're shoplifting on the scale area to weigh it?

the best part of these scales is how on the self check lanes with a belt, anything lighter than a bottle of water either flat out doesn’t read or requires the most delicate touch for the scale component not to freak out.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

mystes posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind having a person literally watching me over skype or something as long as I could actually get immediate assistance from them when needed.

I was at Home Depot checking out at one of these self-service kiosks and the camera had a little display next to it. The display had the camera's feed and also the feed of a dude watching a screen full of cameras.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Please place your bags in the bagging area.

*places bag in bagging area*

UNEXPECTED ITE

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ewiley posted:

I was at Home Depot checking out at one of these self-service kiosks and the camera had a little display next to it. The display had the camera's feed and also the feed of a dude watching a screen full of cameras.

Target just has a camera + screen attached to their self-checkouts at eye level pointed directly at you with a flashing red text of "RECORDING IN PROGRESS". It's loving dehumanizing and infuriating.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

it should be harder. its too easy for old people to use and they clog up the self checkout lanes.

yes, that's how it works

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Target just has a camera + screen attached to their self-checkouts at eye level pointed directly at you with a flashing red text of "RECORDING IN PROGRESS". It's loving dehumanizing and infuriating.

especially that "GAAAH! gently caress! do i actually look like that?" moment

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mystes posted:

Also, the idea of devices that you take around the store to prescan stuff (or a smartphone app) is good but in practice stores screw this up by making you wait in the same lines as assholes who get into the self-checkout line with 10,000 things in their cart and then sometimes making you have an employee come over to see if you've actually checked everything.

fairway app just lets you use your phone to scan as you shop and then you don't need to be in the regular lines to finalize and pay. p dece

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

fairway app just lets you use your phone to scan as you shop and then you don't need to be in the regular lines to finalize and pay. p dece

yeah a bunch of companies are moving towards that, we're integrating with one of those systems later on afaik. it's the same guys who did that a/b test, so now the app pops up a face on your screen to shame you into not shoplifting which is great

mystes
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

Do you just pay through the app at the end? Sam's Club theoretically has one that works like that (which seemed like a brilliant idea) but it wouldn't let me check out the one time I tried it

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

so im very curious how this is going to play out from apple

quote:

Here's how the new system works, as Apple describes it, step by step:

When you first set up Find My on your Apple devices—and Apple confirmed you do need at least two devices for this feature to work—it generates an unguessable private key that's shared on all those devices via end-to-end encrypted communication so that only those machines possess the key.

Each device also generates a public key. As in other public key encryption setups, this public key can be used to encrypt data such that no one can decrypt it without the corresponding private key, in this case the one stored on all your Apple devices. This is the "beacon" that your devices will broadcast out via Bluetooth to nearby devices.

That public key frequently changes, "rotating" periodically to a new number. Thanks to some mathematical magic, that new number doesn't correlate with previous versions of the public key, but it still retains its ability to encrypt data such that only your devices can decrypt it. Apple refused to say just how often the key rotates. But every time it does, the change makes it that much harder for anyone to use your Bluetooth beacons to track your movements.

Say someone steals your MacBook. Even if the thief carries it around closed and disconnected from the internet, your laptop will emit its rotating public key via Bluetooth. A nearby stranger's iPhone, with no interaction from its owner, will pick up the signal, check its own location, and encrypt that location data using the public key it picked up from the laptop. The public key doesn't contain any identifying information, and since it frequently rotates, the stranger's iPhone can't link the laptop to its prior locations, either.

The stranger's iPhone then uploads two things to Apple's server: the encrypted location, and a hash of the laptop's public key, which will serve as an identifier. Since Apple doesn't have the private key, it can't decrypt the location.

When you want to find your stolen laptop, you turn to your second Apple device—let's say an iPad—which contains both the same private key as the laptop and has generated the same series of rotating public keys. When you tap a button to find your laptop, the iPad uploads the same hash of the public key to Apple as an identifier so that Apple can search through its millions upon millions of stored encrypted locations and find the matching hash. One complicating factor is that iPad's hash of the public key won't be the same as the one from your stolen laptop, since the public key has likely rotated many times since the stranger's iPhone picked it up. Apple didn't quite explain how this works. But Johns Hopkins' Green points out that the iPad could upload a series of hashes of all its previous public keys so that Apple could sort through them to pull out the previous location where the laptop was spotted.

Apple returns the encrypted location of the laptop to your iPad, which can use its private key to decrypt it and tell you the laptop's last known location. Meanwhile, Apple has never seen the decrypted location, and since hashing functions are designed to be irreversible, it can't even use the hashed public keys to collect any information about where the device has been.

that sounds theoretically pretty cool and also potentially full of secfuck

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It also doesn't address the issue with getting anyone in a position of authority to reclaim your device to give a poo poo about it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

A couple things seem interesting if it works that way:

1) As long as you have the private key, there's no way for apple to know whether the device belongs to you. Moreover, if I'm reading it correctly, apple never knows the identity of the device even after you've searched for it. This is good in terms of protecting your location data, but it also means this means that if you can somehow steal the private key from someone's phone you might be able to track them forever without anyone knowing, unless apple publishes a public list of every hash that's ever been searched for and phones periodically check it against the hashes they've generated to show a warning.

2) Actually forget tracking someone else's iphone. There's probably no way for apple do know whether the hashes are actually from apple devices, so it will be fun when you can get a tiny $1 bluetooth device from aliexpress that hijacks this system to allow you to track anything (cars, luggage, pets, people, you name it!)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

i assume they can adjust it on a per-store basis because i've been to some that are fine and like you describe, and i've been to some that are absurdly sensitive and get mad very easily if you don't carefully put the thing in the right place and make sure its full weight is resting on the sensor thing. now i get to be the person who decides that i guess :confuoot:

at my grocery store they have video screens showing a top down view of you at the self checkout with a red message like "CHECKOUT UNDER VIDEO SURVEILANCE" or something

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the find my feature probably works by generating a per-activation key and storing it in the Secure Enclave which is a one-way operation. then both of those issues become a question of device tamper resistance which is not necessarily a problem find my has to solve itself. similarly there is probably a vendor key or device key involved which is also not retrievable through software

iOS autocorrect will capitalize Secure Enclave, lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

so im very curious how this is going to play out from apple

that sounds theoretically pretty cool and also potentially full of secfuck

sounds like you could take the emitted public key and encrypt fake location data to send to apple unless they can somehow protect the client doing that work.

wrt the rotating public key could you take the base private key that they all share and then do like a totp thing to generate a new private key based on time? if all devices generate the second key on the same schedule they should have the same secondary private key which can be used to generate the same public key. that public key could be used to encrypt the data and then when you go to find the device you just need to look back thru ur list of keys to find the matching one.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

wrt the rotating public key could you take the base private key that they all share and then do like a totp thing to generate a new private key based on time? if all devices generate the second key on the same schedule they should have the same secondary private key which can be used to generate the same public key. that public key could be used to encrypt the data and then when you go to find the device you just need to look back thru ur list of keys to find the matching one.
Isn't that exactly what the thing Trabisnikof quoted was describing?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“doesn't correlate with previous versions of the public key” is doing some confusing work in that piece

mystes
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

“doesn't correlate with previous versions of the public key” is doing some confusing work in that piece
Doesn't that just mean you can't associate the same phone's public keys from different points in time if you don't have the corresponding private key? Otherwise apple would basically be tracking all phones all the time.

The whole point of this complicated approach seems to be that apple never knows the locations of any phones, even when you use the system to locate them.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah i guess i wasn't sure if they were claiming apple invented some new thing that uses a modified version of the original material rather than generating an entirely new key.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

Doesn't that just mean you can't associate the same phone's public keys from different points in time if you don't have the corresponding private key? Otherwise apple would basically be tracking all phones all the time.

yeah that's how i read it, im just not sure if they're doing it the easiest way (generating a second key based on original + time) or something else.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mystes posted:

The whole point of this complicated approach seems to be that apple never knows the locations of any phones, even when you use the system to locate them.

I have no idea what they intend “correlate” to be. neither can be computed from the other? they are not equal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I have no idea what they intend “correlate” to be. neither can be computed from the other? they are not equal?
Given two public keys, you can't tell whether they are from the same phone if you don't have the private key. Or you can't compute the public key at time n+1 from the public key at time n or whatever.

It's pretty obvious what they're trying to say so I wouldn't worry too much about the exact meaning of "correlate."

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 6, 2019