Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
https://twitter.com/Toadsanime/status/1136623318247858176

more confirmation that the stadia leaks are true (french outlet broke the embargo)

https://twitter.com/Toadsanime/status/1136623930205229056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So at the start for this service you need:
1: A Chromecast
2: A controller
3: A monthly subscription (which includes some "older" games)
4: To buy separate games
5: A solid internet connection

I guess Microsoft has the possibility to really upstage Google here.

I think the problem here is that the people most interested in this, the FIFA/Madden crowd, will likely never have their game on there for free while the gamer crowd will be more after the other games and still need to buy them. And you need to explain to the FIFA/Madden crowd how this works. It's not like Netflix, buy a subscription and off you go.

I don't know, but so far it doesn't sound that enticing.
It's a bit early though for people claiming this is the nail in the coffin of the service. I can see Google doing the same thing they did in a lot of other areas when things fail to get traction, which is to suddenly open it up a lot further.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

This is terribly broke-brained if accurate - who the hell is going to pay for individual titles to only stream them, from a company that's notoriously prone to bailing on ambitious but deeply flawed projects? :thunk:

Looking forward to the reception at E3 will rival that of the Xbone launch in terms of gamer "enthusiasm."

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The one thing I could see happening is that a new game on Stadia costs $20 or something much cheaper than an actual copy of the game. Perhaps Google chose to go this route in order to keep the monthly cost down. Also interested to see what the "older game" lineup is and if that will ever actually expand/change or if the library of games you get with a paid subscription is locked in forever. Also can you buy these "older games" individually if you're not on a paid subscription? And what will those cost?

Either way it looks like a poo poo show. Microsoft is gonna come out of this weekend looking amazing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

sticksy posted:

This is terribly broke-brained if accurate - who the hell is going to pay for individual titles to only stream them, from a company that's notoriously prone to bailing on ambitious but deeply flawed projects? :thunk:

Looking forward to the reception at E3 will rival that of the Xbone launch in terms of gamer "enthusiasm."

My dad is someone who would totally buy this. He is constantly angry that new sports games don't come out for old consoles and thinks consoles and graphics cards are scams.

The fact that you still need to front $200 is going to be a problem for him. If he could pay $60 and stream the game at 800x600 he'd be happy as can be and actually play games. Every time a new Madden comes out he asks "how can I play this for under $100?" the answer is always "you can't", you can buy a PS4 for $300 and the game for $60, but you can buy the new one each year for $60 and also get games for every other sport that you also say you'd like to play. But nope that up front cost.

He would pay $99.99 per game if you didn't need hardware. Just charge more for the game and drop any up front or subscriptions.

There's a market for this, we are not part of that market. I don't think Google even knows how to target that market so of course it's going to fail to even reach them. The free subscription tier looks like what the service should focus on if it wants to be successful. The pro one looks aimed at gamers who have no interest in something like this.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stadia Arcadia

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

controller comes in white, black and wasabi

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Sounds like there's a paid "Stadia Pro" subscription which is their PS+/GamePass equivalent, but you can buy game licenses with a free "Stadia Base" account

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They've decided to hide the fact that you still have to buy the games even with a paid subscription as a "Buy games whenever you want: Yes" bulletpoint, lmfao.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1136671474461208576

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really hate those other gaming consoles where I can't buy games when I want

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

American McGay posted:

They've decided to hide the fact that you still have to buy the games even with a paid subscription as a "Buy games whenever you want: Yes" bulletpoint, lmfao.

I've been fully expecting Google to gently caress this up (from a business and marketing strategy standpoint), but I didn't think they'd be doing it this dramatically.

It might take years it to happen, but either that free tier is going to go away some day, or purchases past a certain age will start becoming unplayable on it. Tech companies are not interested in providing services indefinitely for a one-time "purchase" you made. Either they're going to find a way to convert it into recurring revenue, or they're eventually going to find a way to weasel out of providing you ongoing services.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I really hate those other gaming consoles where I can't buy games when I want

*The setting: a snowy winter evening on the streets on London*

A young gamer, looking forlornly into the window of the xbox store: "please sir, I want to buy a game".

Phil Spencer-Scrooge: "get outta here kid, we're closed!".

If only there were a better way!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Destiny 2 is their big 'get'? That's the best they could do? It'll play like poo poo with the latency and it's been out forever. Where is this big subset of people who really want to play D2 but don't have either of the consoles or even a moderately powerful PC to play it? I just can't see where the market is.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

pixaal posted:

My dad is someone who would totally buy this. He is constantly angry that new sports games don't come out for old consoles and thinks consoles and graphics cards are scams.

The fact that you still need to front $200 is going to be a problem for him. If he could pay $60 and stream the game at 800x600 he'd be happy as can be and actually play games. Every time a new Madden comes out he asks "how can I play this for under $100?" the answer is always "you can't", you can buy a PS4 for $300 and the game for $60, but you can buy the new one each year for $60 and also get games for every other sport that you also say you'd like to play. But nope that up front cost.

He would pay $99.99 per game if you didn't need hardware. Just charge more for the game and drop any up front or subscriptions.

There's a market for this, we are not part of that market. I don't think Google even knows how to target that market so of course it's going to fail to even reach them. The free subscription tier looks like what the service should focus on if it wants to be successful. The pro one looks aimed at gamers who have no interest in something like this.

That's what I was talking about as well. This is aimed squarely at the fifa/Madden crowd/masses. But I'm worried that this is too complex for them and there's an upfront cost. Though that cost may last them longer than normal consoles.

What people here are also forgetting is that while the need crows has been turning against Google, I'm fairly certain a large majority of plebs still hold the searchengine and the spyware android in high esteem

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Darth TNT posted:

That's what I was talking about as well. This is aimed squarely at the fifa/Madden crowd/masses.

Yeah, but those people all have consoles. I'd really like to know how many people there are out there that have a 4k display, are interested enough in gaming to even know or care about Stadia, and don't already own at least a console. It has to be a really tiny subset of people.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stadia by Google, buy games whenever you want

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chomp8645 posted:

*The setting: a snowy winter evening on the streets on London*

A young gamer, looking forlornly into the window of the xbox store: "please sir, I want to buy a game".

Phil Spencer-Scrooge: "get outta here kid, we're closed!".

If only there were a better way!

Black and white footage of a mom walking into the glass door of a videogame store. She looks at the posted store hours and then at her watch, the looks at the camera and shrugs angrily.

There’s got to be a better way!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Picture colorizes, music swells*

Now there [is] a better way! Introducing Stadia by Google! Now you can play all your favori-

*video stops: buffering symbol appears*

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
They flipped the a/b buttons again

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

American McGay posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stadia by Google, buy games whenever you want

which is sadder, this or Ouya's "you can play games on the TV!"

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Darth TNT posted:

So at the start for this service you need:
1: A Chromecast
2: A controller

What is google thinking? During the beta, you could just stream to a browser and a controller was optional.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

CharlestonJew posted:

which is sadder, this or Ouya's "you can play games on the TV!"

The first game they :airquote:give away:airquote: is the evil mix of packaged game with yearly expansions, loot boxes, Korean Mmos grinding.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I think there's a draw to being able to play a gigantic Football Manager/Civ/Paradox game on this thing. Huge database, huge map etc. But that's a tiny grognard audience (not all the players of these games, but the ones who would really care about playing them with more processing power), and it looks like they only have FM so far.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tormented posted:

What is google thinking? During the beta, you could just stream to a browser and a controller was optional.

There's a potential good reason for that, probably relating to their messy marketing.

The number households without a PC is increasing, those people need a Chromecast to play. But those aren't the people Google is reaching with this so ...:confused:

Consoles have around a 5 year life span, so time 12*12*5 = 720. No idea of the cost of games, but I assume parity. How much are PS+ and Live Gold?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
They didn't say you needed the controller. They said you could use any of the supported controllers and a screen that can run chrome?

So you don't need the controller, chromecast or to pay the subscription to use it, right? You just need to buy the game and have a supported controller and a computer/device that can run a chrome browser. At least that's what I took from what they said and what the official page said.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Darth TNT posted:

How much are PS+ and Live Gold?
They both have a $60/yr price tag, but are fairly easy to find on sale if you plan ahead and are patient.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
They're pushing their controller not only for "hey it's our controller" but also the fact that their controller has wi-fi in it and connects to Stadia directly which presumably will help with the latency.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

They're pushing their controller not only for "hey it's our controller" but also the fact that their controller has wi-fi in it and connects to Stadia directly which presumably will help with the latency.

Also it has a record button, so you can record all your hilarious hijinks that no one will want to watch.

Deadpan Meats
Dec 3, 2013

beerinator posted:

They didn't say you needed the controller. They said you could use any of the supported controllers and a screen that can run chrome?

So you don't need the controller, chromecast or to pay the subscription to use it, right? You just need to buy the game and have a supported controller and a computer/device that can run a chrome browser. At least that's what I took from what they said and what the official page said.

That is my impression of it (we might be wrong though with this many people saying opposite). The problem is, Google seems be marketing their controller/chromecast bundle (Stadia: Founder Edition) AS the Stadia platform. The name of the bundle doesn't help.

Deadpan Meats fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 6, 2019

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oh hey, re-read the tech specs. The Chromecast also doesn't have Bluetooth, so it's not like you can use any other controller with it if you wanted to play on your TV. You have to use the Stadia controller if that was the case.

I actually wonder if the Nvidia Shield TV will get a Stadia client, probably not considering Nvidia has their own game streaming service, but it's not like it's hard to sideload the Chrome browser into it.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh hey, re-read the tech specs. The Chromecast also doesn't have Bluetooth, so it's not like you can use any other controller with it if you wanted to play on your TV. You have to use the Stadia controller if that was the case.

If the controller has wifi and bluetooth, does this mean that it could potentially be the connection for secondary non-Stadia controllers if you're using the chromecast?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

beerinator posted:

If the controller has wifi and bluetooth, does this mean that it could potentially be the connection for secondary non-Stadia controllers if you're using the chromecast?

Would be interesting and they did show off a game in their stream making couch co-op a bulletpoint.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I like the tech behind Stadia but the pricing model seems a bit off.

That being said the biggest surprise for me is the seamless transition from one device to another. It looks really cool to demo that but I honestly don't see the use for it. Who plays games on their smartphones with a controller? Why would you play on your phone if your laptop is right next to you? Yes if you are on a train or plane you could still play on a laptop so the seamless transition is a useless feature imo. I don't get on my desktop and then wish I could play this game on my laptop instead and then feel like playing it on my phone. No gently caress you just sit down and play on the device you wanted.

Transitioning minute to minute makes no sense but ya having your save on the cloud and being able to play on your laptop when you are out of the house makes sense. Maybe this isn't for me since I already have a high end gaming pc so I don't understand that appeal. Maybe some could correct me.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I actually wonder if the Nvidia Shield TV will get a Stadia client, probably not considering Nvidia has their own game streaming service, but it's not like it's hard to sideload the Chrome browser into it.

The Chromecast 3 does have an inactive Bluetooth chip, though I'm not sure if newer Chromecast Ultras have it too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ulio posted:

I like the tech behind Stadia but the pricing model seems a bit off.

That being said the biggest surprise for me is the seamless transition from one device to another. It looks really cool to demo that but I honestly don't see the use for it. Who plays games on their smartphones with a controller? Why would you play on your phone if your laptop is right next to you? Yes if you are on a train or plane you could still play on a laptop so the seamless transition is a useless feature imo. I don't get on my desktop and then wish I could play this game on my laptop instead and then feel like playing it on my phone. No gently caress you just sit down and play on the device you wanted.

Transitioning minute to minute makes no sense but ya having your save on the cloud and being able to play on your laptop when you are out of the house makes sense. Maybe this isn't for me since I already have a high end gaming pc so I don't understand that appeal. Maybe some could correct me.

See I thought this too when the Switch came out, but I've done the pull console out of dock and take it with me and keep playing thing several times. Okay only once has it not been to take a poo poo. Switching physical devices seems less likely to even be useful for not interrupting your gaming session to poop.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

TVGM posted:

The Chromecast 3 does have an inactive Bluetooth chip, though I'm not sure if newer Chromecast Ultras have it too.

Looked at a teardown of the older Chromecast, and there is indeed a Bluetooth radio, but Google for some reason decides to not use it :psyduck:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm in the subway right now heading home and I legit had to double check if it was just the Twitter video buffering

That's baaaaaaaad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Good soup! posted:

I'm in the subway right now heading home and I legit had to double check if it was just the Twitter video buffering

That's baaaaaaaad

It's a joke.