Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1674433274012393480

Official Site

Steam Store

Baldur's Gate 3 Community Wiki

When does the game release?

PC: August 3rd. Note that early access save games will not be compatible with the release version.

PS5: Sept. 6th

XBox: TBD. Larian is having trouble with the split-screen co-op on that platform. Source

What system is Baldur’s Gate III using?

Dungeons & Dragons 5e with some tweaks for playability/fun made by Larian.

What classes will be available at launch?

What races will be available at launch?

Will you be able to multi-class?

Yes. Source

What is the level cap?

The game will allow level 1 to 12 Source

What method is used to generate stats?

Point buy is the default. With hints that rolling for stats will be added. Source

Can I make a custom character

Yes. You can make a custom PC or play as one of the 7 origin characters, similar to Larian’s Divinity: Original Sin 2

What are the Origin characters?

Karlach. Tiefling Barbarian

Gale. Human Wizard

Wyll. Human Warlock

Shadowheart. Elf Cleric

Lae’zel. Gityanki Fighter

Astarion. Elf Rogue

The Dark Urge. Dragonborn Sorcerer by default but you can customize the race and class of this origin however you like

Will I be able to customize the Origin characters?

Yes. Source

Are there romances in the game?

Yes. Source

Will there be mods for BG3?

Yes, many. There are already a bunch.

How long will the game be?

Depends on if you mainline the story but Larian stated the game should take between 75 and 100 hours. 200 for completionists. Also, the game 174 hours of cinematics. Source Source

Will there be different difficulty levels?

Yes. Source

Story: Easier combat and proficiency bonuses for PCs

Normal: Core D&D rules

Hardcore: More enemies, AI prioritizing squishies, etc.

Is this game single player or multiplayer?

Both. You can play solo or with others remotely or split-screen co-op.

What are the system requirements?

Is this going to work on the Steam Deck?

That's the plan Source

Is there anything I should know about the combat before I play?

Check out these spoiler free videos that show off the strengths and versatility of the game's systems:

General Tips and Tricks

How to Use the Basic Skills

Special thanks to Hulk Smash! for most of the op

deep dish peat moss posted:

Here are 6 things in general that I wish I learned earlier than I did, I've seen a lot of posts ITT from people running into the same problems I did so:

1) Quicksave often (f5) because this game is rather sparing about when it autosaves, and it's easy to lose a lot of progress. You can even save in combat and dialogue.

2) You can see enemy levels next to their name at the top center of your screen when you mouseover them. If you are struggling make sure you're not fighting enemies that are multiple levels above you.

3) The ability to buy Illithid powers is unlocked upon killing a specific boss and you get a pretty obvious cutscene about it afterward, but what you might not have noticed is that a new button appeared in the top right corner that will allow you to buy the very fun illithid powers.

4) In the trade menu there's a toggle at the top center to switch between Barter mode and Trade mode. It defaults to Barter, but Trade is easier to use (it's just direct buying/selling of items with handy features like category filters). You must switch to Trade mode to use the Sell Wares button that immediately sells all items marked as Wares.

5) Inventory management becomes significantly easier when you realize you can select multiple items, using the same logic as selecting files in Windows. Ctrl-click to add an item to your selection, shift-click to select all items between your current selection and the target item. You can bulk select then right click -> add to Wares to set things up for easy selling.

6) You can fast travel to waypoints from anywhere, at any time. You don't need to be at a waypoint to do it. Just press M then click the name of the waypoint you want to travel to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Not looking promising, OP

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Hell yeah lets get these flame wars started

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

"RPS interview posted:

That shift to modern D&D rules is the biggest clue we get as to how the game will play. It means saying goodbye to the Infinity Engine, for starters. “Those were great games for their time, but next year is 2020 and you can’t do the same things you did back then. No one would want to play it. Well, people would want to play it, but it wouldn’t meet the expectations of a modern video game” says Vincke.

RIP Infinity Engine, you sucked too bad apparently.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
According to this we at least see Baldur's Gate the city in the trailer. But yeah, I'm kind of hoping the Bhaalspawn returns, even if you have to kill them to have them be reborn again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not looking promising, OP

Going by the quality of the cimantic, I heavily disagree.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Apparently this takes place in the first layer of the Nine Hells. So that should be fun!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MMF Freeway posted:

- It directly follows the Descent Into Avernus module, whatever that is

It's an upcoming D&D module that takes place in Baldur's Gate.

Hamelekim posted:

Apparently this takes place in the first layer of the Nine Hells. So that should be fun!

That's Descent. We don't know what III is going to be doing other than Mind Flayers being part of it.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Seriously though, this game is probably going to be pretty good but will manage to piss off as many people as possible in the process. There's no way everyone will be satisfied with a sequel to The Greatest Trilogy Ever Made, especially not nearly twenty years after the fact.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

quote:

BG3 has drop-in/drop out multiplayer

So it's gonna be what, some action game?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Yea this is a savage comment from Swen there. Especially as several of his contemporaries have either made a living either remastering the Infinity Engine (Beamdog) or aping it (Obsidian and Inexile).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Avalerion posted:

Probably something very similar to original sin 2's multiplayer (which was good!)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I don't see why this is BG3, but I hope it's good on its own merits. That's my tepid take.

Also, if this is a backdoor Spelljammer game, I am 100% in.

MMF Freeway posted:

Probably something very similar to original sin 2's multiplayer (which was good!)

Yeah, I didn't like OS, but the multiplayer was by far the best thing about it.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Dark Alliance 3, baby

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mitochondritom posted:

Yea this is a savage comment from Swen there. Especially as several of his contemporaries have either made a living either remastering the Infinity Engine (Beamdog) or aping it (Obsidian and Inexile).
By savage do you mean stupid and ignorant? I would pay good money for new games in the Infinity Engine right now and most likely would still be willing 5-10 years from now. Younger people may not, but they have to understand that a game on the infinity engine could have decent graphics and still be light weight enough to shove on consoles and Xbox/PSx easier than something like Witcher III. Most people play games like the BG series for the story, I would imagine, so what the gently caress does it matter if you have a top-of-the-line engine and graphics?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Avalerion posted:

I think it's going to have a DM mode like Divinity 2.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CottonWolf posted:

I don't see why this is BG3, but I hope it's good on its own merits. That's my tepid take.

Also, if this is a backdoor Spelljammer game, I am 100% in.

Well it's taking place in Baldur's Gate, though things will have changed from how they were in one.

We know that Mind Flayer Spaceships are in so their will be a bit of spelljammer at least.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
NWN3 with NWN1's toolset please thank

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

By savage do you mean stupid and ignorant? I would pay good money for new games in the Infinity Engine right now and most likely would still be willing 5-10 years from now. Younger people may not, but they have to understand that a game on the infinity engine could have decent graphics and still be light weight enough to shove on consoles and Xbox/PSx easier than something like Witcher III.

Yes, I agree with you. I think it was a very unfair comment to make, almost rubbing it into Beamdog and Obsidian, who I am sure would have both loved to make Baldurs Gate III. Personally, I really enjoyed Siege of Dragonspear and would be much more interested in a new Forgotten Realms game made by Beamdog than Larian.

It is very clear that this game will have absolutely nothing to do with Baldurs Gate 1 or 2 in a mechanical and narrative sence. If Larian are so confident it will reinvent the crpg space, they should have called it something different and let it stand on its own merits.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Well the Divinity games had some neat moments of intelligently using spells and abilities to interact with the world, hopefully with a larger budget they can kick that up a notch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mitochondritom posted:

It is very clear that this game will have absolutely nothing to do with Baldurs Gate 1 or 2 in a mechanical and narrative sence. If Larian are so confident it will reinvent the crpg space, they should have called it something different and let it stand on its own merits.

Yeah but I want a game that has to do with D&D and the Forgotten Realms. So I am cool with it being called this, it will no doubt still have throwbacks to the older games.

Anyway apparently we will be getting more news tomorrow.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 6, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can I still min-max a fighter/mage/cleric and play 8 hours of no-inventory-space micromanagement hell and quit playing before getting to the 10% of the game where I'm overpowered

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
How would "drop in drop out MP" be functionally different than BG2's MP where you can in fact stop to rearrange the party, and add/remove players at any time? I guess they are just gonna make it easier to do so you don't have to jump through the few hoops of making a MP session, naming, passwords, ect? Seems like the final result will be the same gameplay wise, i dont see how this is some bad news that means it's gonna be a different type of game.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Can I still min-max a fighter/mage/cleric and play 8 hours of no-inventory-space micromanagement hell and quit playing before getting to the 10% of the game where I'm overpowered

The Lone Wolf talent/trait/whatever was in both Original Sins so chances are good that Larian will help us torture ourselves in similar fashion.

I have no idea how 5e D&D works- is multiclassing even a thing anymore?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah but I want a game that has to do with D&D and the Forgotten Realms. So I am cool with it being called this, it will no doubt still have throwbacks to the older games.

Anyway apparently we will be getting more news tomorrow.

Me too friend, hopefully they will really try to capture a lot of cool things about the realms and not just rehash stuff from the original games. I do like Larian and their Divinity games, but I felt like the RPS interview was a little bit off. I thought they would do more to try to join up the Infinity Engine games with their stuff and metaphorically take a dump on it and announce this will be Divinity: Baldurs Gate. Though it seems obvious now that they would do that. Still curious to see more.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

By savage do you mean stupid and ignorant? I would pay good money for new games in the Infinity Engine right now and most likely would still be willing 5-10 years from now. Younger people may not, but they have to understand that a game on the infinity engine could have decent graphics and still be light weight enough to shove on consoles and Xbox/PSx easier than something like Witcher III. Most people play games like the BG series for the story, I would imagine, so what the gently caress does it matter if you have a top-of-the-line engine and graphics?

The Infinity Engine didn't even look that great at the time, lol.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is this coming to consoles

Divinity games are usually pretty good, so I'm optimistic

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Not trying to mimic the Infinity Engine is the main reason I'm hopeful about the game. I liked the BG trilogy 20 years ago, but like Swen said, I want to see the work Larian's done in the genre applied to the setting instead of mindlessly emulating the best of the 90's. There are already companies doing that, and while they might have been a better fit for this license than Larian, I still want Larian to have freedom to do their own thing regardless.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

Yes, I agree with you. I think it was a very unfair comment to make, almost rubbing it into Beamdog and Obsidian, who I am sure would have both loved to make Baldurs Gate III. Personally, I really enjoyed Siege of Dragonspear and would be much more interested in a new Forgotten Realms game made by Beamdog than Larian.

Judging from some of the original additions beamdog made and how they had to cancel their original projects, I doubt we would have gotten a good BG3 from them, if at all.
And Wizards of the coast is quite picky with who they let even utilize the setting. They did not let Owlcat use DnD setting and have been producing some straight up shovelware this last decade.

Getting a proven developer to work on this, even if it's distanced from previous entries, is better than many scenarios.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

porfiria posted:

The Infinity Engine didn't even look that great at the time, lol.

infinity engine games are beautiful and perfect. you take that back

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Lone Wolf talent/trait/whatever was in both Original Sins so chances are good that Larian will help us torture ourselves in similar fashion.

I have no idea how 5e D&D works- is multiclassing even a thing anymore?

Multiclassing is a thing, but it's a bit more limited. And is only really useful for certain builds.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I never played Balldurs gate

What's so good about it?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its got uhh wizards and poo poo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this coming to consoles

Divinity games are usually pretty good, so I'm optimistic

They said it was multiplatform so probably.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Going by the quality of the cimantic, I heavily disagree.
trusting cinematic teasers is a fool’s errand, post-Dead Island

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So one of my Top 5 games of all time is getting a sequel made by the developers of one of my other Top 5 games of all-time.

HYPE ESCALATING!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That RPS interview is completely silly because I just played Baldur's Gate 1 literally two weeks ago, I finished the game, and felt like it has aged extremely well.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Its got uhh wizards and poo poo

ZAP MOTHAFUCKA

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Basic Chunnel posted:

trusting cinematic teasers is a fool’s errand, post-Dead Island

Leiran has pretty good quality on their stuff. And apparently they have an even bigger budget this time. So yeah going to trust my gut here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Zzulu posted:

I never played Balldurs gate

What's so good about it?

it was a game boomers cared about years ago about the most generic fantasy rpg ever, now a different dev is making a game about it and people are gonna be mad