Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
If Baldur's Gate 3 contains these elements:

Party of 5+ characters that can be built from interesting NPCs.
Takes place in the Forgotten Realms setting.
A relatively faithful adaptation of a D&D rule set.
Strange mix of serious and wacky tones in the quest and story.
Not linear in that it contains side quests and areas.

That, to me, is a Baldur's Gate game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zzulu posted:

I never played Balldurs gate

What's so good about it?

you could kiss an elf in the sequel

actually you could kiss two and a HALF elves, and also an incel

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

AngryBooch posted:

A relatively faithful adaptation of a D&D rule set.

do we tell him....

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

The Lone Wolf talent/trait/whatever was in both Original Sins so chances are good that Larian will help us torture ourselves in similar fashion.

I have no idea how 5e D&D works- is multiclassing even a thing anymore?

It is but 5E is a lot less restrictive than 2E/3E that the infinity engine games were based on for character creation. You could play a fighter/mage/cleric (as any race!) but IMHO there’s no point in doing so. I think there’s a bard specialization that’s basically the same thing but better.

Depends on how exactly they implement I guess.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

you could kiss an elf in the sequel

actually you could kiss two and a HALF elves, and also an incel

You could make a baby with the elf and carry the baby around in you're bag of holding

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Is that logo a Cthulu or a Mindflayer?

Would be fun to try D&D 5th in video game form, I don't think that's happened yet?

Also make Neverwinter Nights 3 guys, thanks a ton

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Zzulu posted:

What's so good about it?

The original Baldur's Gate was a little meandering and had somewhat dull writing but it was a great translation of a (quite flawed) game system into a video game.
The second...was just better in every single way: the mechanics (since you started at level 7 when the fun poo poo begins) the world, the writing, the characters. Everything was loving awesome.
And it had a billion things to do and amazing pacing. You seldom got stuck doing one thing for too long. None of the dungeons were obnoxiously long, none of the quests will overloaded with fluff and every one of them felt meaningful and interesting in some way.
The three big downsides to BG II was A) Real time with Pause is kinda stupid. It worked but it was hard to feel like you were in control of what was happening B) The plot takes over and you get pretty railroaded after chapter 2 and C) The 2nd edition ruleset had a bunch of idiotic nonsense in it. Fighting wizards in 2 was a massive chore because of the stupid dance because the 27 layers of protection they'd put up and the 27 countermagics you had to cycle through to deal with it.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Why do people refer to a series with two games as a trilogy?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zzulu posted:

What's so good about it?

You know how people today watch "Psycho" for the first time and are like, "what's the big deal?" And then you have to remind them that it was a big deal because it got there first, and the reason you aren't affected by it now is that it was so influential that horror movies have copied it for decades?

Same thing for Baldur's Gate and isometric western RPGs.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

thumper57 posted:

Why do people refer to a series with two games as a trilogy?

Most people consider the Throne of Bhaal expansion for BG2 to be a full game in itself

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Being real time with pause is basically the only thing that could kill my interest in this game

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
One thing I really liked about BG2 was that it was usually pretty obvious how weapons stacked up to one another in terms of power level

like OK, this sword is +4 so it's better than this one that's +2, but the +2 one has bonuses vs. undead and can protect from evil, so it's obvious when to switch and when you're safe to sell one to Ribald

meanwhile ones in dragon age have like ... +20.8 armor penetration and a bunch of other incremental numbers

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Blockhouse posted:

Being real time with pause is basically the only thing that could kill my interest in this game

A glance at the GOG page for the game reveals some bad news for you:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That's unfortunate, and seems like a big mistake after Obsidian went to the trouble of patching in a turn based mode for POE2.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Could mean it's an action game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MMF Freeway posted:

Most people consider the Throne of Bhaal expansion for BG2 to be a full game in itself

Also TOB was originally intended to be a full game before it was mashed into an expansion. I think that was super early on, but yea it's definitely a "third chapter" to the two games.

Edit: Also: I'm definitely pro RTwP. turn based is great too but I'll always prefer the BG/Pillars way of doing things.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Also it's one of those games where people have written absolute tomes on how to abuse it.
As opposed to a lot of games that feel in control of how powerful you are at any given point in the game.
Now of course some people call this 'good game balance' and they are totally correct.
But good game balance is for competitive multiplayer games; single player? lemme take the chains off and wreck poo poo.
high-fives Might and Magic VII for good measure

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Avalerion posted:

Could mean it's an action game.

Yeah known action game developer Larian

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Also it's one of those games where people have written absolute tomes on how to abuse it.
As opposed to a lot of games that feel in control of how powerful you are at any given point in the game.
Now of course some people call this 'good game balance' and they totally correct.
But good game balance is for competitive multiplayer games; single player? lemme take the chains off and wreck poo poo.

BG2 (and I love it for this) let you pick up a shield that lets one (1) character run through an entire dungeon of beholders while reflecting all their spells back at them. this includes the insanely huge Unseeing Eye beholder that serves as the dungeon's boss

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
I played Baldur's Gate 2 and the PS2 BG games to death when I was kid. I haven't had much fun in modern crpgs but against my better judgement I am going to get excited about this.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
It seems somewhat unlikely to me that the person who decided what tags to put on the gog page is someone who is actually working on the game and not just some guy who works at gog

Also the only thing that gives me pause (as someone who really liked D:OS2) is it being based on a module that is going to be released. Admittedly Descent into Avernus looks cool but also I think I'd rather see something original; I'd almost rather just play the actual module at that point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Take this with a grain of salt. The devs were unwilling to clarify in interviews posted today.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I would put very little stock into what gog's description says. They're really in between a rock and a hard place though because people are gonna be mad either way. I like RTWP just fine but Larian are more experienced with TB and can already do it well so I'm torn.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

...yes? They made games before DOS1/2 you know, they started off with diablo clones.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DoubleDonut posted:

It seems somewhat unlikely to me that the person who decided what tags to put on the gog page is someone who is actually working on the game and not just some guy who works at gog

Also the only thing that gives me pause (as someone who really liked D:OS2) is it being based on a module that is going to be released. Admittedly Descent into Avernus looks cool but also I think I'd rather see something original; I'd almost rather just play the actual module at that point.

They way it was worded, I don't think it's "based" on the module as much as it is a sequel to it in some way. Is this not the case?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I can't exactly say that this trailer promises the power fantasy and sense of adventure I associate with the BG games.
But they're trying to reboot the franchise while still keeping it a party-based game instead of going the Fallout route so that's nice.
I'm happy that they think the climate is right to bring the series back but not really excited about the game specifically.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't have strong opinions on real time with pause but honestly I just end up pausing so much that it may as well be turn-based, but I can hit spacebar to just make everyone auto-attack quickly

chaosapiant posted:

They way it was worded, I don't think it's "based" on the module as much as it is a sequel to it in some way. Is this not the case?

I assumed "directly follows" means that it is using the module, not that it takes place after the module

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DoubleDonut posted:

It's not based on the module. It says it takes place after the Module. Mind Flayers after all have nothing to do with Descent.

Interview posted:

This game directly follows a new campaign called Baldur’s Gate: Descent Into Avernus, we worked very closely with them on that, and so our story continues right after that.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 6, 2019

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
This is going to suck rear end. The fact that they won't even say what the game will play like says a lot. Divinity Original Sin 2 felt like a cheap cRPG knock off and I think this will too.

Marzipan Pig posted:

I played Baldur's Gate 2 and the PS2 BG games to death when I was kid. I haven't had much fun in modern crpgs but against my better judgement I am going to get excited about this.

Now THIS would be awesome. The snowblind PS2 games were so drat good

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok if there's one thing that raises the tiniest flag it's the idea that I can just pick up a module and read through the plot of BG III before the game even comes out.
But then again it isn't like Larian has the best writers in the world so it might be a blessing in disguise.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DoubleDonut posted:

I don't have strong opinions on real time with pause but honestly I just end up pausing so much that it may as well be turn-based, but I can hit spacebar to just make everyone auto-attack quickly

I assumed "directly follows" means that it is using the module, not that it takes place after the module

Descent is about demons while this appears to be about mind flayers so I've been assuming "directly follows" means it happens right after

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blockhouse posted:

You know like most of their games outside of Original Sin 1 and 2 are wildly different genres right? Dragon Commander was an RTS, Divinity 2 was a Skyrim style 3rd person RPG, Divinity the original was a Diablo knock off etc.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's not based on the module. It says it takes place after the Module. Mind Flayers after all have nothing to do with Descent.

Oh, looking at the actual articles, you're right. My bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Zore posted:

You know like most of their games outside of Original Sin 1 and 2 are wildly different genres right? Dragon Commander was an RTS, Divinity 2 was a Skyrim style 3rd person RPG, Divinity the original was a Diablo knock off etc.

I actually didn't and now I feel like a huge idiot

Palmer_eldritch7
Mar 12, 2014
The interviews literally say that the descent module takes place before BG3. It is NOT an adaptation of the module.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

This is going to suck rear end. The fact that they won't even say what the game will play like says a lot.

I think it says that the game was announced like two hours ago

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Palmer_eldritch7 posted:

The interviews literally say that the descent module takes place before BG3. It is NOT an adaptation of the module.

Edited the op for clarity on this point

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Blockhouse posted:

I actually didn't and now I feel like a huge idiot
To be fair the pre-D:OS games are not really worth knowing about.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

This is going to suck rear end. The fact that they won't even say what the game will play like says a lot.

More news tomorrow. It's too early to say poo poo like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

To be fair the pre-D:OS games are not really worth knowing about.

Take that back Styles.
Take it back.