Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Feral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Polyethylene Pt. 2, but not Pt. 1.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Pulk pull , We Suck Young Blood and Treefingers are all brilliant.

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Especially this funky version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBjhGyWSV2A

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
around 18 hours of OK Computer session material has leaked online, has crazy poo poo like the 12 minute Paranoid Android and the full band recording of True Love Waits on it

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

hughesta posted:

around 18 hours of OK Computer session material has leaked online, has crazy poo poo like the 12 minute Paranoid Android and the full band recording of True Love Waits on it

I've never been a huge fan of "True Love Waits" but I really dig the full band version on here.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

18 hours? Holy poo poo.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh my goodness I know I should feel terrible listening to this

But I can't, this is an treasure trove of amazing

[EDIT: WHAT THE EVERLOVING gently caress THERE IS A SOUNDBOARD RECORDING OF PINKPOP LIFT AAAAAAAAAAAAAA I AM GODDAMN CRYING HERE]

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A WIP Google spreadsheet documenting every leaked minidisc

Edit: 18 hours, but no Follow Me Around or OKC era I Will :sigh:

Edit 2: Skipping around listening to bits here and there. Full band True Love Waits sounds so weird to me now, which is funny given for years this was the "definitive" version fans wanted to hear. Honestly, I'm glad it took them until A Moon Shaped Pool for it to get its album release.

These Motion Picture Soundtrack demos are so loving good.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 6, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is this a different massive OK Computer era leak than Towering Above the Rest?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Rageaholic posted:

Is this a different massive OK Computer era leak than Towering Above the Rest?

Completely different. Towering Above the Rest is just a bootleg compilation put together of random rare Radiohead poo poo.

It appears this leak is sourced from 18 minidisc recordings made by Thom himself circa 1997. Lots of early/alternate takes of songs from the album, lots of soundboard live recordings, lots of unreleased demo poo poo. Basically take the white cassette that was released in the OKNOTOK box set a few years ago and stretch it out to 17 hours and you'll have this.

Disc 15 version of Lift. Holy poo poo. Why on earth did they not release this in 1997? And why in the gently caress did they use some inferior version when they did release it in 2017?!

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 6, 2019

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Whoa, the treasure trove! I hope Thom/ the band don't get too mad about this, as big as this sounds there is still obviously a huge amount more out there that hopefully they will release in some form one day.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It sounds like the leak was possible because the band dug material out for OKNOTOK. So I really hope this doesn't put them off trying it again. I need my KIDANOTAKID.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Ballz posted:

Disc 15 version of Lift. Holy poo poo. Why on earth did they not release this in 1997? And why in the gently caress did they use some inferior version when they did release it in 2017?!

He didn't source the quote, but some guy on reddit said the reason is because it would have been TOO successful?

quote:

the band said they didn’t release it because they though they had another Creep-success level song

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It’s really good, but I’m not sure if it’d have seen that sort of success in 1997. But I can get why the band would be apprehensive. Plus it doesn’t really fit in with the vibe OKC set.

I’m mostly surprised this leaked version wasn’t the one the band used when they “officially” released it in 2017.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

quote:

55:50 Full band song that sounds vaguely familiar but I can’t identify @ soundcheck

I really like this track from disc 3, but also am not sure if this is something previously unheard or not. That and the versions of Nude and Motion Picture Soundtrack from the same disc are my favorite bits from what I've listened to so far. Also, multiple early performances of Paranoid Android with the organ outro!

I gotta say though that the full band True Love Waits kinda sucks, and it's not surprising that they never released it in anything close to this form. And the misguided attempts at a heavy version of Last Flowers are hilarious.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I gotta disagree on the full band True Love Waits. It’s obviously a rough take, but I think it’s brilliant. Like if Radiohead decided to go a bit synthpop in an alternate dimension. That bassline too.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 6, 2019

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I haven't listened to anything yet because I dont want to disappoint Jonny

that's changing tonight

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
There There is the best song ever recorded.

publishko
Feb 16, 2014
that Tomorrow Night in Paris demo at the end of 17 is really interesting and it seems like it could have been a great song. Hurts to Walk (My Funky Cloak) is absolutely dreadful though and I can't believe they tinkered around with it as much as they did

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

HD DAD posted:

I gotta disagree on the full band True Love Waits. It’s obviously a rough take, but I think it’s brilliant. Like if Radiohead decided to go a bit synthpop in an alternate dimension. That bassline too.

I thought the instrumental version on disc 4 was more interesting. Would’ve been curious to see how that would’ve turned out if they followed down that path.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really like this version of Lift but I wouldn't say I prefer it from the one they released. I prefer it slightly more downtempo.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
There are some really amazing treasures here.

The new song on Disc 7 - 0:00 would have made an amazing OKC album track or b-side. ("Our guarantee to you")
The True Love Waits jam on Disc 4 - 6:05 is actually magical.
Life in a Glasshouse on Disc 9 - 35:23 is really interesting to hear the pre-constructed version.
The A Reminder practices on Disc 18 are chillingly beautiful.

Rummaging around in the discs is half the fun too.

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 11, 2019

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Has anyone from Radiohead made a comment about this leak? Are they bothered by it? There's some comment alleging that the person who first got the material copied it with Colin's awareness, but that could be made up.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The Google Doc tracklisting has undergone a huge overhaul.

As far as I'm aware of, the band hasn't said anything. The above document mentions the Colin story, but says it's unlikely.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Via Jonny’s Twitter

In a very Radiohead move, the band have made the leaks officially available for £18 on their Bandcamp for the next 18 days in aid of Extinction Rebellion.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I’m gunna get this. Is there a time stamp guide for the highlights?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

edit: snip. it's like two posts above

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 11, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dugong posted:

I’m gunna get this. Is there a time stamp guide for the highlights?
This is pretty good:
My personal highlight is the Disc 15 version of Lift that's almost certainly the final version that very nearly made the album (the rest of the disc seems to final versions of OKC tracks) and is different from the OKNOTOK version but there's good/interesting stuff on pretty much every disc.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Damnit I found out about this from an AP article that said they’d sell it for $18... not 18 pounds. That’s a bit of a difference in price.

Edit: oh wait, maybe not too much of a difference these days. Thanks Brexit!

Ballz fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 11, 2019

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Instant purchase/donation from me.

Now we get them in FLAC! Win/win/win!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I wonder if the FLAC is a transcode of the 192kbps leak.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I'm far from an audiophile. Why is FLAC the superior format?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

I'm far from an audiophile. Why is FLAC the superior format?

uncompressed audio on a cd or tape is massive. to make these large files easier to transmit and store on hard drives, the files are shrunk or compressed. MP3 compresses the audio by removing and shrinking portions of the uncompressed audio that it deems inaudible to the human ear - this is called lossy compression, since portions of the original audio stream are lost in the compression process. There's nuances with the various types of MP3 compression and bitrate fuckery but that's the gist. imho 98 percent of humans can get along just fine with a good, high bitrate MP3.

the other 2 percent want their digital audio as close to the original uncompressed audio as possible - this is where FLAC, a lossless compression format comes in, as it does not remove any of the original audio stream but rather just shrinks it. the result is an audio file with a more manageable filesize that should sound identical to the raw, uncompressed audio stream (these raw rips are typically ENORMOUS .wav files).

FLAC files are still pretty drat big when compared to the average MP3.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Thank you both! That’s my evening sorted.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Ballz posted:

I wonder if the FLAC is a transcode of the 192kbps leak.
Some of the files are shorter than the leaked ones (I assume to remove the copyrighted stuff like Bond themes and random jazz records), plus I'm sure they have high quality rips of the minidiscs on hand already from the OK Computer boxed set materials so I imagine they used those.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
My only issue with the official release is the typical dynamic range compression they applied to EVERYTHING.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pzy posted:

My only issue with the official release is the typical dynamic range compression they applied to EVERYTHING.

Sounds like minidiscs in a nutshell.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Oooh my god my funky cloak lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I don't know if the disc 16 tracklisting is necessarily indicative of this, but if they initially intended to have A Reminder follow The Tourist as the last track on OK Computer, that actually would've worked pretty well.

Also, what the gently caress was going through my head a few years ago that I chose it, out of all Radiohead songs, for my wedding playlist? I guess True Love Waits would've been a more cynical choice, but not by much.