Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Was there ever a name for the genre of tactics game where you queued up a series of orders for each unit then hit a button and watched them play out? One of those ill-fated Jagged Alliance sequels/reboots used it iirc

Watch BG3 use that style for maximum chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Divinity Dragon Commander is an extremely cool game where you can marry a skeleton or a dwarf and be a dragon but it has Risk and RTS and dragon-flying shooter stuff and political intrigue government simulation and all four of those things are kind of half-baked

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Was there ever a name for the genre of tactics game where you queued up a series of orders for each unit then hit a button and watched them play out? One of those ill-fated Jagged Alliance sequels/reboots used it iirc

fuckin Battle Bugs did this, that game ruled

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I played an N64 game called "Hybrid Heaven" that married this to a beat-em-up and it was weird as poo poo and intriguing.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

thumper57 posted:

Why do people refer to a series with two games as a trilogy?

The expansion to the second game was originally planned as to be a full game. It didn't end up being obviously, but kept the worst of both scenarios - it is almost entirely separate from the second game, including a separate menu that you select when you start the game, separate saves, a separate game world and map (you can't go to the expansion areas from the base game and vice versa), and you can start up a brand new play through and character straight into the expansion. So functionally it's like a separate game, just without the convenience of having a stand-alone install option, or anything like the kind of length, balance or story that you'd expect from a full game.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

JamMasterJim posted:

Take that back Styles.
Take it back.
I paid full price for Dragon Commander. I will die on this hill if I must.

Pattonesque posted:

fuckin Battle Bugs did this, that game ruled
Battle Bugs was amazing. I wish somebody would pay the ten bucks the IP probably costs and put it up on GOG or something.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

This is going to suck rear end. The fact that they won't even say what the game will play like says a lot.

It doesn't say a god damned thing, really. This game is still a long ways off and they want to not say much until they are ready to actually show some stuff, too.

Was there ever a name for the genre of tactics game where you queued up a series of orders for each unit then hit a button and watched them play out?

If I understand correctly what you mean, the UFO: After* series of XCOM-likes did that.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

BG made by Larian sounds like my dream game

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
put Mazzy's identical great-grandaughter in as a party member, you cowards

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DoubleDonut posted:

Hire David Warner to voice the main villain again

Seriously he made Irenicus so loving good

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

She could actually be a Paladin now!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I hope that depressed elf from the Nashkel mines is still around playable the protagonist.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mzbundifund posted:

I hope that depressed elf from the Nashkel mines is still around playable the protagonist.

Xan, Coran and Minsc at the very least are still around in the present day. They could be party members.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Xan, Coran and Minsc at the very least are still around in the present day. They could be party members.

Yeah but I've never saved Minsc from the starting dungeon because he is an annoying dickwad. Rot in hell Minsc, and take boo with you.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The only characters I would put real money on appearing are Minsc and maybe Coran since he's I think part of the Baldur's Gate aristocracy now or something?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think Minsc, Jan, Xan, and maybe even Aerie all have a pretty good chance of appearing, but I doubt any of them besides maybe Minsc would be long-term party members.

I just want to reiterate, though, that I am not joking about Mazzy IV. I need a character who can just shoot a zillion arrows a round.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

I paid full price for Dragon Commander. I will die on this hill if I must.

Heresy gross and foul.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Have you not played Into The Breach

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I am not the biggest fan of Larian studios' writing, but the hot takes I see here are pretty obnoxious and silly.

It's going to be a pretty good game. It just might not be the game I want. Also, I'm hoping for turn-based because I hate real-time with pause. And I look forward to playing this with my friends, so I am glad they are focusing on multiplayer.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Larian is cool and I'm pretty optimistic about this mostly.

That said, can dudes really just get turned into mind flayers? I don't actually know how they work besides brain big.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

fargom posted:

Yeah but I've never saved Minsc from the starting dungeon because he is an annoying dickwad. Rot in hell Minsc, and take boo with you.

How do you sleep at night

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Caidin posted:

That said, can dudes really just get turned into mind flayers? I don't actually know how they work besides brain big.

It's a mindflayer tadpole taking over a victim's body, but yea that's how they reproduce.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caidin posted:

Larian is cool and I'm pretty optimistic about this mostly.

It stated as being an accelerated version. But yeah that's how Minflayers reproduce. Normally the same thing happens over 7 days, after the Tadpole finishes eating your brain.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah they put a tadpole into your brain. It is meant to be a very slowly and painful process taking like a week, but that's obviously not so easy to depict in a trailer so this werewolf style transformation was a good choice imo.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Have you not played Into The Breach

I have, it's not really what I'm talking about. Simultaneous Turn-Based is maybe what I'm looking for here, and I don't know why I reached for bad Jagged Alliance follow-ups and not like Frozen Synapse or something.

Also I hope Cernd shows up as a friendly ghost, something about the guy being one of the least useful versions of one of the least useful classes in BG2 made him a sympathetic figure to me.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Cool, Disgusting and a bit unnerving but cool.

Guess nobody is dumping their INT stat this campaign.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
We might be getting (another) Spelljammer game and that possibility alone absolutely kicks rear end. Larian are great devs and I'm pumped that they're doing it.

(definitely waiting for the "definitive edition" though)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like both turn based and rtwp so I'd be fine with whatever they choose as long as the game is good.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wizard Styles posted:

To be fair the pre-D:OS games are not really worth knowing about.

I’ll have you know Dragon Commander is the only good Larian game.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I liked Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity was buggy and fairly rear end. Ego Draconis was nice even if the ending kinda pissed me off until the DLC came out. Dragon Commander was fun if far from what I hoped for but I can respect the ambition behind it, and the OS series is pretty fantastic in my book even if 2 did kinda annoying toward the end on the story telling front.

So, shot in the dark but will we get to kill Damian in this game?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh my god theyre making another video game

good for them!

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Divine Divinity was also a perfectly fine game... up until the point near the end where it goes a bit too much on the rails anyway. But still, I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out, especially considering the time gap in-universe between games. They already cheated to use Minsc in the current D&D time via a comic, so I expect they'll probably carry on from those there for him to be fair, but I wouldn't hold my breath about many of the other shorter lived party members without some valid excuse turning up again in person.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?
If I can't bang a bird-elf and have her never talk to me again afterwards I don't even want to play.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L04LWnKJqjQ

Swen Vincke says that the giant tentacle monster in the background of the trailer is a Nautiloid. Would this be the first time a Nautiloid appears in modern DnD?

They should go full Spelljammer.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Could someone point me to a good link to read up on what this "Spelljammer" stuff is? I never heard of it.

Arc Impulse posted:

Yeah, Divine Divinity was also a perfectly fine game... up until the point near the end where it goes a bit too much on the rails anyway. But still, I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out, especially considering the time gap in-universe between games. They already cheated to use Minsc in the current D&D time via a comic, so I expect they'll probably carry on from those there for him to be fair, but I wouldn't hold my breath about many of the other shorter lived party members without some valid excuse turning up again in person.
Some of them like Xan (the depressed Elf with the special sword you find in the Nashkel Mines) is an Elf and could easily still be alive.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Adnor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L04LWnKJqjQ

Swen Vincke says that the giant tentacle monster in the background of the trailer is a Nautiloid. Would this be the first time a Nautiloid appears in modern DnD?

They should go full Spelljammer.
Full Spelljammer would be on brand for Larian for sure.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Edwin could probably still be loving around either by misadventure or genuine accomplishment in one arcane life extension method or another.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, for humans being a wizard (or getting one the wrong side of one) would be the easiest reason for why they'd still be kicking about. Less likely for the ones who were pretty much just martial classes admittedly.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Caidin posted:

Edwin could probably still be loving around either by misadventure or genuine accomplishment in one arcane life extension method or another.

If Edwin isn't a lich by now then I have no faith in FR canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

bike tory posted:

If Edwin isn't a lich by now then I have no faith in FR canon

Edwin could never achieve lichdom.

Edwina though...