Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cynic Jester posted:

As if playing the diplo game wasn't bad enough already, now the AI will aggressively grab systems deep inside your border, making closed borders a must, which doesn't affect the genocidal powerhouses at all but completely poops on diplo empires. I just had an AI grab a dead-end system inside my borders with 2 energy while still having empty systems on their other border and an open system between our borders. Preventing players claiming huge swathes of territory by creating a conga line is one thing but the AI making objectively poor choices just to gently caress with the player seems excessive. I don't see the AIs leapfrogging over each others territory to nearly the same degree, but then again, it might just be me not paying the same amount of attention.

lol I love the sound of this. My default setting of Borders Closed is going to feel so good now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

lol I love the sound of this. My default setting of Borders Closed is going to feel so good now.

It is just as good as you expect it to be.

On a separate note, relic worlds are now everywhere and real easy to convert to ecus. Now refineries produce two resources per job instead of one, it's also really easy to fund the cost of ecu districts. If anything, the update has 'solved' the ecu problem by giving them to everyone for nearly free.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Could you also give the relic worlds a pass? The noise them make is abnormally loud - probably louder than anything else in the game.

Pretty sure it has been, but I will check.

Doctor Zero posted:

I ... no. It seemed odd to me because I hadn’t even had a chance to get my science vessel out of my home system yet. Sectors in the past had been things I created for letting the governor run and I didn’t want my home-world to be automated. I don’t remember if the advisor made that clear - I could have just made a bad assumption.

Let me start another new game and try not to just assume what a sector is and see if it’s clear.

I mean, it probably shouldn't spam you either way, but different problems in either case.

Aethernet posted:

@Darkrenown: please tell whoever changed the AI to let them forward settle that I hate them and wish them ill but also that it was literally the best possible move to stop players blithely cutting them off from entire sections of space, which I am entirely guilty of.

Now I just need to go and declare war on some former allies who claimed the wrong star systems.

This is basically what I told them.

Splicer posted:

It was "Too Angled"/"Cut to Fit". I went digging (:v:) through the event files, that site has three possible end stages (I am excited to find out that they can branch!) and the reward for the one I got is a fixed 500 minerals.

Cool, yeah that would be more interesting.

canepazzo posted:

What takes precedence, planet designation or sector automation? Do I need to enable the latter to activate the former?

Planet, assuming you mean planet automation. No, but you need to give its sector or the general pool some resources for it to do anything.

turn off the TV posted:

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the archeology system being tied to sector ownership in combination

Not sure what this means, unless you mean system ownership? You can't just go digging up other people's planets, it'd be very rude.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Not sure what this means, unless you mean system ownership? You can't just go digging up other people's planets, it'd be very rude.

Yeah, and it could be a casus belli to try and steal back the artifacts or rewards from the site. You could also have competing science vessels that may need to be backed up with transport ships or something as they're both running through the site, or pop ups occur that let you focus on sabotaging the other science vessel or instead forging ahead.

Then science vessels could have different special slots (not just survey speed and archaeology level) that increase their chance to interfere with other science ships or defend against incursions, depending on what someone sticks on a science vessel.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Darkrenown posted:

Unless something has changed the other precursor chains just want you to scan anomalies and those don't require you to claim the system that they're in first. The new ones seem like they require way more commitment to get.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Aethernet posted:

It is just as good as you expect it to be.

On a separate note, relic worlds are now everywhere and real easy to convert to ecus. Now refineries produce two resources per job instead of one, it's also really easy to fund the cost of ecu districts. If anything, the update has 'solved' the ecu problem by giving them to everyone for nearly free.

Yeah. Kinda sad first league was nerfed into a relic world, when relic worlds are given away like free candy
Also, gestalt empires don’t get the option to convert them into ecumenopolises.
I also find it odd that given the chance to balance the precursors, they gave Cybrex even more goodies. 50% pop assembly speed and guaranteed megaengineering is quite good.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

turn off the TV posted:

Unless something has changed the other precursor chains just want you to scan anomalies and those don't require you to claim the system that they're in first. The new ones seem like they require way more commitment to get.

When I did the zroni chain, all the sites wither spawned in my territory or in unclaimed systems within one jump of my borders. I'd they spawned like the regular ones it would be a nightmare.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mayor Dave posted:

When I did the zroni chain, all the sites wither spawned in my territory or in unclaimed systems within one jump of my borders. I'd they spawned like the regular ones it would be a nightmare.

I've done four of the stages so far. Only one of them has spawned inside of my borders, with most of them being two to four jumps away. I haven't been able to get any further because the fifth (?) dig is in the enigmatic fortress system.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah the aggressive claiming was a nice surprise. I encountered a new empire, went to snatch a system to block them off and was really surprised when they beat me to it.

Also need a slider for maximum possible neighboring xenophobe empires.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Aethernet posted:

Well that doesn't sound good. I actually really liked the way your economy reworked itself once Ecus came around.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
How do you convert a Relic world into an Ecu?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Darkrenown posted:

Got a pic? I did fix something like that yesterday, but it was too late for the patch.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Darkrenown posted:

I mean, it probably shouldn't spam you either way, but different problems in either case.

So I started a new game, full tutorial. One system, played about 5 minutes, suddenly the advisor popped up the reminder about creating a sector with no prior warning. But a whole bunch of things popped at the same time, so maybe I somehow missed it even though I was waiting for it. I go to the sector management and I have Core sector. And that's it. No obvious way to create a new sector. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do - somehow create a new sector for ... what? I don't have any other worlds.

So I loaded my first game in which I had 2 worlds, one right next to my homeward and still no obvious way to create a sector.

Am I being incredibly dense here? Anyone else having this problem? (I'm on Mac if that matters)

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also I just have to post about finding Earth in my last game and then having the 42 years and 3 days event spawn on it too.

after 42 years, the alien clock blew up with a giant nuclear explosion and turned Earth into a toxic world. it was only in the industrial era too, so i was tempted to reload back 42 years just to see how it would go without the explosion but decided that ultimately Earth deserved that fate.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Well that doesn't sound good. I actually really liked the way your economy reworked itself once Ecus came around.

They still do. I'm just going to put refineries on the Ecu along with the appropriate districts instead of the tiles just being yet more artisan and foundry places.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Also I just have to post about finding Earth in my last game and then having the 42 years and 3 days event spawn on it too.

after 42 years, the alien clock blew up with a giant nuclear explosion and turned Earth into a toxic world. it was only in the industrial era too, so i was tempted to reload back 42 years just to see how it would go without the explosion but decided that ultimately Earth deserved that fate.

Same thing happened in my bird kingdom game. About two or three systems away I found an early space age world, also avian, that eventually suffered the same fate. Still getting 10 sociology points off it though.

That same system has another habitable world that I colonized and turned out to have an underground society. Which I found out was also avian once the refugees started coming.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So I usually don't touch the colony designation immediately and wait a bit for the colony to develop, which has led me to notice there is a serious tendency for the game to label worlds tech worlds even though there are no labs on it.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Ice Fist posted:

So I usually don't touch the colony designation immediately and wait a bit for the colony to develop, which has led me to notice there is a serious tendency for the game to label worlds tech worlds even though there are no labs on it.

Same but forge worlds

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Note that they changed what world designations do, now, though- I think forge and tech worlds build those buildings cheaper. In which case, those are worthwhile designations before you have any labs or forges.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

So I just had the great khan spawn and their only path to expand beyond maybe a few systems was a Fallen Empire. So they sat there and didn't do anything then the Khan died naturally.

Not that it matters. This game is basically already won because Determined Exterminators are strong af.

Edit: Also ran into a funny situation where my battleships weren't upgrading. Turns out their design incorporated nanites and I didn't realize it so they sat at shipyards for ages not upgrading.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 7, 2019

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Hmm, well lost to the Grand Admiral AI for the second game in a row. Seems like they really did improve the AI. Or the AI just has sooo many resources they're all going massively massively over the fleet cap.

There's no iron man way to find out how the AI has so many ships right?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Spoilered because it allows some exploitey stuff:

You can load the save in multiplayer, choose any empire, do whatever without unpausing, save, reload with your nation in multiplayer, save, then reload in single player.

But yeah it's because they get a bunch of resources for free.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I wish so much that there was a button that was just a "send excess pops on this planet to this one automatically" button

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I just got a Russel's Kettle anomaly, I wasn't expecting that. Also uncovering a few misc. anomalies got me a free Cruiser & Frigates and now I'm over my naval fleet cap. I need to find something to shoot but wherever my game dropped me I have about 1/4th of the galaxy to myself and have been colonizing/building trade routes completely uncontested. I'm parked next to a fallen empire with overwhelming firepower but they don't seem interested in expanding their borders at all. Their days are numbered.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Wow just had a hugely disappointing excavation site.

It was a 6 parter that took me over 20 years to do and the only reward was 10 minor artifacts at the end and 1-2 minor artifacts for each stage before that. What the gently caress.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

One thing I did not realize about planet automation is that while districts are built as needed, as per designation and if you have the resources for them, for buildings they also take affordable upkeep into consideration; explains why in my game in 2400 most of my planets have 1-2 slots open with housing issues, unemployment, etc. Would love a toggle to ignore upkeep affordability, as I often find myself floating and juggling resources even with massive deficits.

Also, briefly scouring the defines, I can't figure out how it prioritizes upgrades and blockers; I know that it does do them but I can't find them mentioned. For example, the foundry world build order is:

City districts only

Capital Building-Clinic-robot assembly plant-temple-foundry-foundry-precinct-foundry-ministry of production-foundry-foundry-foundry-foundry-autochthon monument-foundry-foundry-foundry-galactic stock exchange.

I also feel like monument should probably be higher. Can't wait till we can make our own custom builds (without messing with defines, that is).

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

cheesetriangles posted:

Wow just had a hugely disappointing excavation site.

It was a 6 parter that took me over 20 years to do and the only reward was 10 minor artifacts at the end and 1-2 minor artifacts for each stage before that. What the gently caress.

Yeah, having done all the archeology in my neck of the woods, the potential difference in rewards seems a little...much.

Like, I had four that were short-ish chains that ended up ending in +500 science of some form, one or two that were just minor artifacts, and one that was a long chain that ended in no reward beyond the relic planet it was on until I did a ten year long special project. The reward for that is a repeatable ten years of +20% energy output and +10% engineering research speed for 150 influence, which is a hell of a step up.

Then I notice the genocidal event geckos had a loving titan in like 2260 with nearly 9k fleet power on its own and were seemingly using that as an excuse to invest what they'd normally put into a fleet into expanding like wildfire and making hell fortress planets, and it came from one of their archeology sites. Another archeological site in their borders had text that implied the reward relic was some sort of genetic databank they could poo poo out free random pops with (if they werent fanatical purifiers).

Like don't get me wrong, +20% energy has massively altered my economy, but it ain't no loving pre-midgame titan.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
On the forums Moregard has said that occasionally they like giving players vastly overpowered things to play with for a while before nerfing. This was in explicit reference to the Titan. Shame really; every game I get it I'm going to name it the Sa-Matra.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That is the exact opposite of how I want this to play out.

Like the three step ones don't need game changing effects but yeah six step +research project me a Titan

Splicer fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 7, 2019

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

How do you convert a Relic world into an Ecu?

You need the Gravity Control tech, clear away all the blockers (about 5k energy), then click the decision for 20k minerals and 200 influence. You don't need to build all city districts, making it much easier than building from scratch.

Their districts are now a lovely colour too.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Splicer posted:

That is the exact opposite of how I want this to play out.

Like the three step ones don't need game changing effects but yeah six step +research project me a Titan

10 minor relics from a 6 step 20 year dig site made me so loving mad.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If it gave you a Titan fleet limit boost I think that would be a decent enough trade-off. Sure you don't get the ship, but you can build an extra one now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I was doing one of the precursor archeology ones, where you get the Psionic crystals. I got three sites in and it said "there's another colony we've found".
But there's nothing in my borders and I don't see it anywhere else either. Is it just....gone?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Taear posted:

I was doing one of the precursor archeology ones, where you get the Psionic crystals. I got three sites in and it said "there's another colony we've found".
But there's nothing in my borders and I don't see it anywhere else either. Is it just....gone?

It’s in an unexplored system near your borders.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Grapplejack posted:

If it gave you a Titan fleet limit boost I think that would be a decent enough trade-off. Sure you don't get the ship, but you can build an extra one now.

The issue with something like this is that getting a bonus that doesn't do anything for the vast majority of the game usually feels worse than getting a poopy reward. Getting +1 Titan Limit from my first excavation wouldn't change how I play the game at all.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

It’s in an unexplored system near your borders.

It must be in alien space then, I don't have any unexplored systems near my borders.

I kinda wish the UI for archeology worked as a separate tab on the situation log that had different colours for ones you can access and ones you can't. And that when it appeared to say I've found a site I could click on that notification to actually GO to it!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Once you reveal the system it’s in it should show up in your situation log. For me it was in an off-branch for an alien empire I had closed borders with. Once they claimed the system I got a popup and the location showed in the log.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Once you reveal the system it’s in it should show up in your situation log. For me it was in an off-branch for an alien empire I had closed borders with. Once they claimed the system I got a popup and the location showed in the log.

Archeology only seems to be in my log if it's in my space directly, but as far as I can see I've got no hidden systems near me, I guess it could be REALLY well hidden or a bit further away.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

turn off the TV posted:

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the archeology system being tied to sector ownership in combination with the new precursor chains being archeology based. They seem much more difficult than the other ones, although maybe their rewards are better as a result.

some of the rewards you can get are loving crazy. It wasn't even for doing anything good but I have a couple events that mean I get 20% bonus unity for free for basically ever.

however I also had like 4 scientists get gruesomely killed various ways such as methane explosion, crushed by rampaging security bots, "disappeared without a trace" etc. I have nobody who's even slightly able to get archeology work done cause the easiest ones I have access to are like difficulty 5.

I did end up with some kind of "Rubricator" lead that I have no idea how to get access to.

Apparently Mars was once an important alien colony merely 7 million years ago. That could have been a close one.

anyway having all the precursors swap to archeology is going to be loving sweet and that one goon was right archeologists are v powerful and def worth getting.

-------

If I have a planet with both titanic life and partial terraform, if I were to activate the machine will it kill off my godzillas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Turn meticulous from +10% anomalies to +1 to die rolls