Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mystes posted:

Given two public keys, you can't tell whether they are from the same phone if you don't have the private key.

but they’re talking about the relationship between different generations of public key, not hashes

I need to re-read it more carefully

e: you ninjaed me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they must also be using some device identifier that is preshared with the various trusted devices, otherwise each device would broadcast the same public keys on the same interval.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

they must also be using some device identifier that is preshared with the various trusted devices, otherwise each device would broadcast the same public keys on the same interval.
Maybe "contains the same private key" just meant that all of your devices have copies of all of your other devices private keys, not that they all share the same private key?

Obviously if everyone's devices were all broadcasting the same public keys at the same time it would be stupidly easy for apple to deanonymize the data.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
in the future, 90% of bluetooth bandwidth will be apple devices endlessly confirming their own location to each other

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

Maybe "contains the same private key" just meant that all of your devices have copies of all of your other devices private keys, not that they all share the same private key?

Obviously if everyone's devices were all broadcasting the same public keys at the same time it would be stupidly easy for apple to deanonymize the data.

yeah that makes sense

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also I was half joking about making cheap third party devices that would take advantage of this system, but based on the way it works they could probably easily allow you to find small bluetooth-only devices like airpods with it or even launch their own tile clones to allow people to buy tags for their keys or whatever.

It would actually work a lot better then tile because every iphone in the world would be looking for your keys, rather than just people running the tile app.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Also incentivizes Apple to make their products even more expensive. If you lose your gadget it doesn't need to be an immediate sunk cost.

And maybe avoid being hassled by the US govt.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 6, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

It would actually work a lot better then tile because every iphone in the world would be looking for your keys, rather than just people running the tile app.

there has to be a shitload of overhead here though, no?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah it would be increased battery and data usage on every device and then a shitload of storage on apples side.

another thought is that the reporting time period would need to be randomized somewhat. if its the same for everyone then your servers need to handle bursts of data. if its spread out and not randomized, them maybe you could identify someone by their beacon interval.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

mystes posted:

Also I was half joking about making cheap third party devices that would take advantage of this system, but based on the way it works they could probably easily allow you to find small bluetooth-only devices like airpods with it or even launch their own tile clones to allow people to buy tags for their keys or whatever.

Would those other devices need a way to locate themselves or can they just act as beacons and broadcast themselves to other GPS enabled iPhones?

mystes
May 31, 2006

CmdrRiker posted:

Would those other devices need a way to locate themselves or can they just act as beacons and broadcast themselves to other GPS enabled iPhones?
The description posted earlier made it sound like other phones would add the location (encrypted by the public key) so if that's correct the devices being located wouldn't need a way to locate themselves.

It does seem like a lot of overhead though.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mystes posted:

The description posted earlier made it sound like other phones would add the location (encrypted by the public key) so if that's correct the devices being located wouldn't need a way to locate themselves.

could probably use less it by doing less if you see more iPhones nearby

and not broadcasting if you’ve been unlocked recently, or are talking to a currently-worn watch

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if someone steals ur phone and figures out your super secure password of 000000 you probably don't want it to stop broadcasting

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mystes posted:

Do you just pay through the app at the end? Sam's Club theoretically has one that works like that (which seemed like a brilliant idea) but it wouldn't let me check out the one time I tried it

yeah they have you add a credit card to save with the store and pay from there,though you can also just scan through the app and then put in your card physically at a pos at the checkout area

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

mystes posted:

somebody already found tilelike apple tag resources in the ‘find my’ beta

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
so i can monitor the location of any iphones within bluetooth radius?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

You can monitor that other iOS devices in your proximity are beaconing, but the ids are encrypted and rotate so you’re probably not going to get much out of it the same way that they beacon forged MAC addresses when polling for wifi

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
thrad
https://twitter.com/erratarob/status/1136775965579862016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Volmarias posted:

It also doesn't address the issue with getting anyone in a position of authority to reclaim your device to give a poo poo about it.

also my first thought

old: serve a production order on apple to compel them to tell me where your device was last week, which isn't enough to form grounds to believe that's where your device is right now

new: look at your screen and listen to a story about unverifiable information only you have, and take it on faith that the thing i'm seeing on your screen is really real, which roughly 0% of patrolmen are going to do and about that same number of detectives are going to have time for

if apple were serious about it, there'd be a law-enforcement-only version called "find that guy's iphone" but just loving lol out loud at any sensible person ever agreeing to give the police a means to track them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mystes posted:

how much overhead really depends on the reporting intervals. if they piggyback the push on the existing Find My updates then the network pieces shouldn’t be too bad, and they only need to keep the last record for a device. it doesn’t need to be that cheap/fast to query, or super resilient storage. I bet it takes up less space than whatever fraction of their web logs they hold.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

We bought some of those canaries from Thinkst and they have bluetooth functionality. Unfortunately it's only used for setup because it'd be kinda cool to have btle honeypots

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i remember discovering hcitool le scan and playing with it for days :allears:

it's the protocol that bluetooth buttplug uses iirc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

also my first thought

old: serve a production order on apple to compel them to tell me where your device was last week, which isn't enough to form grounds to believe that's where your device is right now

new: look at your screen and listen to a story about unverifiable information only you have, and take it on faith that the thing i'm seeing on your screen is really real, which roughly 0% of patrolmen are going to do and about that same number of detectives are going to have time for

if apple were serious about it, there'd be a law-enforcement-only version called "find that guy's iphone" but just loving lol out loud at any sensible person ever agreeing to give the police a means to track them

the whole point of this is to not allow law enforcement access.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the point is you go and recover it yourself with 3-4 friends and your firearms

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Lol, just lol if you have friends

mystes
May 31, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

also my first thought

The police just don't give a poo poo about your cellphone in the first place.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Unless they're trying to pin drug charges on you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

as a white man, i just don't understand why people are worried about police abusing technology to gently caress you over, i've had nothing but good interactions with our upstanding law enforcement officers

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

mystes posted:

The police just don't give a poo poo about your cellphone in the first place.

nope, they want the guy who's stealing cell phones and selling them to buy drugs so they can find the guy who sells drugs

or maybe just the guy who's stealing cell phones, if you find the one weirdo who loves writing up paperwork and crown briefs that won't be read past the first page

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

ding

brb handcrafting a gig economy bailiff app

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is there anything to stop large scale aggregate pulling of all points? Wondering if you could pull a bunch and aggregate where people go in military installations or whatever like people did with fitness trackers.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

Is there anything to stop large scale aggregate pulling of all points?

search your heart

the aggregated data of where they DON'T go is much more useful in discovering the location of classified kit, so you can focus your information-gathering efforts

mystes
May 31, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

Is there anything to stop large scale aggregate pulling of all points? Wondering if you could pull a bunch and aggregate where people go in military installations or whatever like people did with fitness trackers.
Based on the description posted earlier, the location data is encrypted by the public keys, so Apple can't see the locations even independent of the identity of the devices being located.

But isn't this is a moot point? The devices transmitting the data are cellphones which are being located all the time anyway even without this new system.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

brb handcrafting a gig economy bailiff app

bailyft

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

or it’s to make apple poo poo not worth stealing so lost device recovery is about just going to where you lost the thing

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

so I'm hanging out in bar with my raspberry pi zero W :smug:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Vomik posted:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cocoa Crispies posted:

or it’s to make apple poo poo not worth stealing

oh theyve been doing that for 26 years

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vomik posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMNSvHswljM

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fishmech posted:

oh theyve been doing that for 26 years

the Color Classic is a work of art you heathen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

or it’s to make apple poo poo not worth stealing so lost device recovery is about just going to where you lost the thing

Isn't that something they have already? Report the device as stolen and it bricks?