Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/jamieleecurtis/status/1136363383224070144

https://twitter.com/jason_blum/status/1136327532368629761

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't even care, I'll be all over a loving follow-up to Halloween '18.

Also Ultimate Laurie Strode is a great forums name.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

FancyMike posted:

That list reminds me how hosed up it is that nobody has seen any Obayashi movies that aren’t House. He’s made a bunch and they never seem to leave Japan.

Bound for the Fields, the Mountains and the Seacoast is one of my favourite films about childhood, and I never would have known about its existence if someone in the GenChat thread (think it was Boogey or Hundu) hadn't shilled super hard for it.

There's definitely still a ton of films that are nearly impossible to see if you're not part of the culture they were produced in. It's just easy to forget because no one ever talks about them.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
Japan really liked Four Dimensions of Greta!
lol, #71 on the list and the only obviously non-Japanese movie I noticed skimming.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

What is some good non horror, horror stuff to you guys? Like, stuff that doesn’t fit the horror mold at all, but still manages to invoke fear, dread etc. and give you the same general vibe you get watching a good horror film.

I’m thinking of stuff like Green Room, The Hunt, HBOs Chernobyl miniseries...

When They See Us is the scariest thing, especially for black people.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Samuel Clemens posted:

Bound for the Fields, the Mountains and the Seacoast is one of my favourite films about childhood, and I never would have known about its existence if someone in the GenChat thread (think it was Boogey or Hundu) hadn't shilled super hard for it.

There's definitely still a ton of films that are nearly impossible to see if you're not part of the culture they were produced in. It's just easy to forget because no one ever talks about them.

This seems right up my alley. Any idea where I could find it? Doesn't seem to be anywhere.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I remember searching for quite a while and finally finding it on an obscure video hosting site, but I stupidly didn't save the link. I'll see if I can dig it up again.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Japan really liked Four Dimensions of Greta!
lol, #71 on the list and the only obviously non-Japanese movie I noticed skimming.

I think that's a mistake by the person who made the MUBI list. Every other source I read lists The Bullet Train instead.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

The Act Of Killing hands loving down.

Very much this.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Come and See is pretty much intentionally a horror movie but wouldn't show up on any list.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The War Game is a fake documentary about a nuclear attack on Britain. It was made for the BBC in 1965 but wasn't shown until 1985 because at the time "the effect of the film has been judged by the BBC to be too horrifying for the medium of broadcasting. "

so yeah if you want to watch a movie that will give you a feeling of existential horror, you can't beat The War Game

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the first episode of the new Swamp Thing was pretty good but don't get attached, it's already cancelled

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-swamp-thing-tv-show-has-been-cancelled-1835299761?IR=T

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

The Act Of Killing hands loving down.

It also doubles as some extremely dark comedy. Another genre which it isn't billed as.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

alf_pogs posted:

the first episode of the new Swamp Thing was pretty good but don't get attached, it's already cancelled

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-swamp-thing-tv-show-has-been-cancelled-1835299761?IR=T

lol

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
New serial killer horror movie in the works from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Pegg appears to just be producing right now but Frost is writing the script.

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1136742640832192524?s=20

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
The Perfection is a lot of insane fun but wow does it shoot itself in the foot with all the expository flashbacks. The big one in the final act even has the gall to include a second, nested flashback.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

FancyMike posted:

That list reminds me how hosed up it is that nobody has seen any Obayashi movies that aren’t House. He’s made a bunch and they never seem to leave Japan. Hanagatami was on mubi a while back and is awesome and at least horror adjacent. Hugely recommended if it’s ever available to watch again

This is true, and a shame. I've been trying to track down a copy of School in the Crosshairs to watch for a while now.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

FancyMike posted:

That list reminds me how hosed up it is that nobody has seen any Obayashi movies that aren’t House. He’s made a bunch and they never seem to leave Japan. Hanagatami was on mubi a while back and is awesome and at least horror adjacent. Hugely recommended if it’s ever available to watch again

I'm really surprised that Criterion hasn't put out anything else by him considering how popular House ended up being.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FancyMike posted:

Bound For The Mountains, The Hills and the Seacoast is extremely good if you can track it down

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

I'm really surprised that Criterion hasn't put out anything else by him considering how popular House ended up being.

They do have Sada up on their streaming channel which I thought was pretty good. Not as out there as House or Hanagatami but it’s still got that Obayashi style that’s so fun to watch. Haven’t seen In the Realm of the Senses to compare.

It’s interesting, I knew he was prolific but had no idea how well or not he was regarded in Japan until seeing that list.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

King of Bleh posted:

The Perfection is a lot of insane fun but wow does it shoot itself in the foot with all the expository flashbacks. The big one in the final act even has the gall to include a second, nested flashback.

Agreed. The flashbacks pretty much ruined the movie imo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not really sure how The Perfection would have even made sense if not for the flashbacks. Like, you can tell the same story without any of that style choice but it would have been a completely different kind of movie and I have no idea what that would have been like.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Liquid Sky, Wow, I didn’t know I needed to see this but I did. Amazing grimy, 80s New York setting. Basketcase meets Neon Demon? I don’t know how else to describe it.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not really sure how The Perfection would have even made sense if not for the flashbacks. Like, you can tell the same story without any of that style choice but it would have been a completely different kind of movie and I have no idea what that would have been like.

I think a lot of it could've been saved by better editing. I just clocked it, the first one is a whopping 3 minutes long and completely kills the momentum coming out of one of the strongest scenes in the whole film. You could convey the same info in 30 seconds tops by keeping the structure but just focusing on the punchline: pills, cleaver, phone search for tourniquets (lol).

Same goes for the rest of it; the pieces of each plot beat are laid out well, the script just doesn't have any faith in the audience to follow along.

Also the Funny Games-esque VCR rewind effect was dumb.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think The Perfection lacks faith in its audience's ability to follow things, rather that The Perfection actively goes out of his way to mislead its audience repeatedly so it very understandably figures its audience might get whiplash from the stuff they basically lied about and gave no hint of. Its not a film that lays clues and foreshadowing in place and then does a bunch of exposition when they payoff instead of trusting the audience to have picked up on them. They just never really laid those clues or foreshadowing in the first place and in many ways were actively trying to lead the audience down a different path.

The filmmakers just chose to handle that by following every big chapter ending reveal with a "here's what you missed" segment.
They could have found a different approach to it but like i said, I have no idea what the film looks like if they do.

I personally didn't find the flashbacks jarring but I was very comfortable with the Tarrantino-esque "chapters" flow of the narrative. So the little flashback interludes between chapters worked fine for me. Obviously if you prefer a more fluid narrative or don't like that kind of storytelling I can see how they'd be more disruptive.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

STAC Goat posted:

I personally didn't find the flashbacks jarring but I was very comfortable with the Tarrantino-esque "chapters" flow of the narrative. So the little flashback interludes between chapters worked fine for me. Obviously if you prefer a more fluid narrative or don't like that kind of storytelling I can see how they'd be more disruptive.

Same here. I chuckled a bit at the flashback within a flashback, but it takes more than that to ruin my entire viewing experience.

The Perfection is not an AFI Top 100 candidate but it's good trashy fun. I recommend it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Snack Bitch posted:

Liquid Sky, Wow, I didn’t know I needed to see this but I did. Amazing grimy, 80s New York setting. Basketcase meets Neon Demon? I don’t know how else to describe it.

It's so good, everyone should see it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sarchasm posted:

Same here. I chuckled a bit at the flashback within a flashback, but it takes more than that to ruin my entire viewing experience.

The Perfection is not an AFI Top 100 candidate but it's good trashy fun. I recommend it.

Yeah, I don't think its an all time film or anything. Its a wild ride with some great performances that I felt pulled off what it was trying to pull off. I'm not even sure how it would hold up on a rewatch knowing the twists and turns.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Are there any good horror movies that utilize the Pacific Northwest in some way beyond shooting some scenes there?

I just did a vacation on the Oregon coast and I kept thinking a horror movie set in the 1800’s Pacific Northwest would be cool to see.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
It's not a movie, but the video game Alan Wake takes place in the PNW. And it's terrific

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'd assume most bigfoot movies

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Ehud posted:

Are there any good horror movies that utilize the Pacific Northwest in some way beyond shooting some scenes there?

I just did a vacation on the Oregon coast and I kept thinking a horror movie set in the 1800’s Pacific Northwest would be cool to see.

This stretches the definition a bit, but the second season of The Exorcist series takes place on an island off of the Washington coast, and does a good job at capturing the area's creepy stillness. Speaking as a former Cub Scout, the freakishly huge spider webs are 100% accurate. Gah. Aieeee.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Ehud posted:

This is stretching the definition of “horror” and “movie”, but Twin Peaks has some of the scariest stuff I’ve ever seen in a thing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

They do have Sada up on their streaming channel which I thought was pretty good. Not as out there as House or Hanagatami but it’s still got that Obayashi style that’s so fun to watch. Haven’t seen In the Realm of the Senses to compare.

It’s interesting, I knew he was prolific but had no idea how well or not he was regarded in Japan until seeing that list.

gently caress I didn't realize In the Realm of the Senses was directed by the same dude as House. woah

edit oh they weren't, he just also made a movie about the same story. i gotta check that out

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 9, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

From In the Realm of Senses to House would be a hell of a mood shift.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

which of the [rec] sequels are worth watching

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
The second one for sure. The third actually switches to a standard narrative film about 1/3 of the way through. The only one I didn't like was 4, but it's not heinous

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Narzack posted:

The second one for sure. The third actually switches to a standard narrative film about 1/3 of the way through. The only one I didn't like was 4, but it's not heinous

Oh man the third actually sounds the most appealing because I get motion sickness from FF a lot. I'll power through 2 too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kvlt! posted:

which of the [rec] sequels are worth watching

2 is good, basically the same as the first and on the same night in the same building. 1 and 2 make a good double feature.

3 is good but makes a 180 and it's got a lot of comedy in it, it's loosely connected to the first two so it can be watched by itself.

4 is just awful, I wouldn't recommend anyone watches it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

which one got rid of the first-person gimmick entirely, was that 4?

[rec] 1 and 2 are loving dope, though. Quarantine, the American remake of 1, is also pretty good. Quarantine 2 is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, Quarantine is actually pretty solid. They kinda change up some of the lore stuff, but it's not awful.