Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

25 ft/lb and the bolt failed? Jesus. I'd be worried about the other ones. Are they made from powder?

Maybe it was more than that, but certainly not anywhere close to 49. They came off pretty easily with a ratchet when I was disassembling, so I doubt the 49 is factory spec.

It's an 11 yr old Audi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Jesus christ my thumbs are swollen from pushing the drat clutch bleed clip over and over. Almost like someone during an rheumatoid arthritis attack.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > What did your ride do to you today? "I hate this car so much"

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Because futzing around in a door want enough for one weekend, I decided to do it again. Per window the drivers door stored working on my daughter's 06 PT Cruiser. Took the panel off, think I found the problem...

Question is, since the connector broke off, do I have to replace the whole motor or is this a replaceable part?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I found the actual problem before i got to the picture.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Powershift posted:

I found the actual problem before i got to the picture.

Hah. It was a beater I got for cheap for my daughter. ;)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

vulturesrow posted:

Hah. It was a beater I got for cheap for my daughter. ;)

You don't like your daughter? :v:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Took apart the driver-side driveshaft

I've got the knuckle sitting hub-side-up in the shed while it soaks in pb blaster overnight. I put it on the shop press but it doesnt sit level, so it's not safe to try pressing that shaft out of the hub. Bought some steel ties to use as shims (1mm thick and about 3mm thick) for leveling it on the press, but I'm going to wait for someone here to sanity check that so I dont die.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just be careful what you press on with the hub, I managed to bend a brake tab on a Civic Si knuckle last year

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At this point at least start shopping for a new knuckle / hub / axle. My MS3 had a wheel bearing fail and when it came time to remove it, the whole loving mess was seized up solid and couldn't even be budged by a hydraulic press.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I took the passenger seat out of the gf's Camry.

A few hours later and

This

had become

Which led to...

And we have the final product:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

A couple months ago a thing followed me home

The first time I took it out on to the road, it puked the contents of the diff.

A lot of scrubbing and a new pinon seal later.

The next time I drove it, it started dumping coolant from the water pump. Last weekend I got that buttoned up, and plugged the heater core lines as it looks about ready to go as well.

This weekend I changed the oil and took it for a spin - success no new leaks!

Next I need to pull the OD solenoid so I can take it apart and probably rebuild it. Fortunately the OD unit appears to be functional, so I just need to drain and fill the trans and separate OD.

Last I cleaned up the whole shop and especially the work bench, everything on there now is a current project...

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

spouse posted:

I'm prepping a '93 RWD Geo Tracker softtop for the Tennessee Gambler 500!

Yo I absolutely must see this delightful monstrosity.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

angryrobots posted:

What a fantastic looking truck, good snag. I also had no idea OD was an option in those, that's cool.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Didn't grab any pictures, but the sleeve clamp for the 4Runner got here Saturday.
I ground off the globs left from the welding job so it was at least somewhat smooth, got the exhaust pipe seated tightly, and put the clamp on.
It is definitely better. The exhaust itself is loud, but it isn't deafeningly so inside the truck any more. Also, no more exhaust smell.
While under there, I noticed that while the rear transfer case output shaft seal was leaking, the front output shaft seal seemed to have a worse leak. They take the same part, so just waiting on the second new one to show up. From what I've seen, I don't believe they will be a horrible job and shouldn't take long.
From experience, I know this is the first step to me swearing profusely at a car, spending a entire day trying to get two bolts off because I didn't have my tools blessed by a priest.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

chrisgt posted:

What a fantastic looking truck, good snag. I also had no idea OD was an option in those, that's cool.

If you're not familiar with these OD units, their operation is pretty cool to read about. If the OD unit is engaged, you can't go in reverse, it will bind up. So there's a mechanical lockout rod that automatically disengages the OD when shifting into reverse... Pretty cool. The electronic controls with the governor are also interesting. I'm going to bypass all that for the time being just to test the unit with a manual switch.

I've never driven a vehicle with one, and the first time I got up to speed, let off the gas and the engine instead of braking, dropped to idle as the OD freewheeled...I didn't know WTF was going on. I have the OD lockout handle engaged now, so the transmission and engine behave like you expect a manual trans to.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

vulturesrow posted:

Because futzing around in a door want enough for one weekend, I decided to do it again. Per window the drivers door stored working on my daughter's 06 PT Cruiser. Took the panel off, think I found the problem...

Question is, since the connector broke off, do I have to replace the whole motor or is this a replaceable part?

I'd not even bother with an OEM connector. Just use a set of crimp-on 1/4" quick disconnects.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

No more inspections or registration renewals for this one!

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got the hub freed

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

It's 25 years for that in PA, right? Anything special need be done?

I was probably going to go this way on my 240SX.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

MC Hawking posted:

Yo I absolutely must see this delightful monstrosity.

It looks much worse in person, i promise you. This is fresh after about an hour of washing. It was covered in a year's worth of tree sap, and it's still gushing coolant until i get a chance to get a new radiator hose. It'll get more interesting looking as time goes on, with wheels, lights, and spraypaint, but for now, it's just a faded orange barbie jeep full of spiders.

In other fun news, installed a z1 intake on my 370z and cleaned the throttle bodies. Butt dyno says it picked up a good bit of power in the low/midrange, nothing up top, but it sounds deeper and after cleaning the throttlebodies and relearning the idle, the weird idle flutter i got while stopping the car has stopped. Next up on this one is fixing the "spline click" issue that happens at the rear wheels thanks to a lovely axle nut adjuster smacking into a cotter pin every time i move.

This is all super fun, because despite having a huge love for cars most of my life, it's only now at 29 that I'm able to start working on them. Before I was way too poor to do anything fun, or own tools, and resigned myself to playing NFS:Underground all the time.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I'd not even bother with an OEM connector. Just use a set of crimp-on 1/4" quick disconnects.

Good idea. But I just bought a connector from parts geek :( Maybe I can cancel the order.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Rye Bread posted:

It's 25 years for that in PA, right? Anything special need be done?

I was probably going to go this way on my 240SX.

25 years for antique, which does exclude you from inspections and annual reg fees, but also limits the car to “occasional use” so no daily driving etc.

In the olden times you had to submit pictures and stuff with the form for the antique plate, but now you just pay the $133 or $138 (depending on your county) fee along with the form and your title and they send you the plate and a new title. You’re supposed to keep it in good operating factory-like condition but I’m sure you can have modifications done, just can’t be driving a rust heap around.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

brand engager posted:

Got the hub freed

yaaaaay. I had my fingers crossed for you, congrats

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Went to a proper tire shop and got my tires balanced. Didn't help the big every-other-second vibration I got above 110km/h though. Alignment next. For once it feel like I've found a good shop though and it was nice to see the rims come out cleaned and to hear the torque wrenches click.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 5, 2019

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

After 5 years of rusting, moldening and literally being poo poo on by generations of mice my aw11 (formerly owned by rust repair forums superstar Sockington) received its heart transplant.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Got my new rear tires. Still waiting on the fronts. Trying to find someone with a 2 post lift to install my new exhaust. I don't want to hack the oem exhaust off with a Sawzall.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Think I'll be doing that on my '79 when it's operable again. TX allows "year of manufacture" plates, so I'll need to find some 1979 plates at the next swap meet. TX started using stickers in, I believe 1975, so any plates between like '75 and '80-something will work. I already have a set of '79 stickers.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Only took about four hours of hitting it from all sides with a sledge, heating it with an oxy/mapp torch, trying the bolts-thru-the-caliper-mounts-trick and hitting it even more.

The other one I just cut open with the disc grinder, took about an hour. God I love salt and winter and winter and salt and irauroahglieuagggkjjbgikdhgkedhgoeigehgeoge

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Only took about four hours of hitting it from all sides with a sledge, heating it with an oxy/mapp torch, trying the bolts-thru-the-caliper-mounts-trick and hitting it even more.

The other one I just cut open with the disc grinder, took about an hour. God I love salt and winter and winter and salt and irauroahglieuagggkjjbgikdhgkedhgoeigehgeoge

I can feel your rage in each of those sledge marks in the rotor face.
I have been there myself.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yep. Been there twice my friend. Well actually 3 but twice with the same vehicle.

I found the best solution is to buy a good blade for the sawzall. Same principle as using a disc grinder but quicker. I make cuts 180 degrees apart to the hub. Insert sacrificial tool of choice into cut (usually large screwdriver) and use BFH until it cracks. Funny thing is even after I did the last rotor replacement (which I was dreading because of the memories of the first time) when it cracked with that awesome sound I still had to beat it with a 5lb sledge on the rotor.

And when I did it the first time, I slathered the surfaces with anti-seize so I thought it would be easier years into the future at the time. When I grabbed the rotor anti-seize was still there.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

angryrobots posted:

If you're not familiar with these OD units, their operation is pretty cool to read about. If the OD unit is engaged, you can't go in reverse, it will bind up. So there's a mechanical lockout rod that automatically disengages the OD when shifting into reverse... Pretty cool. The electronic controls with the governor are also interesting. I'm going to bypass all that for the time being just to test the unit with a manual switch.

I've never driven a vehicle with one, and the first time I got up to speed, let off the gas and the engine instead of braking, dropped to idle as the OD freewheeled...I didn't know WTF was going on. I have the OD lockout handle engaged now, so the transmission and engine behave like you expect a manual trans to.

Oh that's cool. I've driven the Mopar OD transmissions, but this looks a bit different.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Gave in and ordered one of these from the oreillys

Wont have it until tuesday because none of them have it in stock. Not very suprising since it's a very niche application

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Since this transmission is one ford was borrowing from mazda, proteges/626s in the same year range as the zx2 also have it. I'm extremely jealous of how easily this guy gets that inboard end of the axle free with a screwdriver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW_c6ZjyuLI

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Stuck a cover on the fuel bowl in the S2000 to prevent the fuel starvation below half a tank

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The gtx2554 is an awkward sob to remove from my FiST, but after a lot of swearing got it out and installed some locking washers in the down pipe adapter and heat wrapped the manifold.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 9, 2019

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I replaced the capacitor in the 1JZ's ecu, and hot drat, it doesn't spit unburned fuel out of the exhaust anymore!

The car still idles high, so I'm gonna have a look at the IACV; apparently it can get sticky on JZ motors?

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 9, 2019

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

angryrobots posted:

The first time I took it out on to the road, it puked the contents of the diff.

A lot of scrubbing and a new pinon seal later.

The next time I drove it, it started dumping coolant from the water pump. Last weekend I got that buttoned up, and plugged the heater core lines as it looks about ready to go as well.

This weekend I changed the oil and took it for a spin - success no new leaks!

Next I need to pull the OD solenoid so I can take it apart and probably rebuild it. Fortunately the OD unit appears to be functional, so I just need to drain and fill the trans and separate OD.

Last I cleaned up the whole shop and especially the work bench, everything on there now is a current project...

That trailer is getting pretty good at hauling antique Chevys :v:

Also extremely jealous of your barn there.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
My beater Silverado has been getting toasty when towing and then coming to a stop, especially when going up-hill. That sounded like a bad fan clutch to me so I threw a SEVERE DUTY part at it.

This morning it sounded like I was driving a garbage truck the first few blocks. :black101:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

monsterzero posted:

My beater Silverado has been getting toasty when towing and then coming to a stop, especially when going up-hill. That sounded like a bad fan clutch to me so I threw a SEVERE DUTY part at it.

This morning it sounded like I was driving a garbage truck the first few blocks. :black101:

Aftermarket fan clutch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, a Hayden.