Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Okay, so first I was just going to agree with Maera's analysis, but this has me intrigued.

Just to throw spaghetti at the wall, my anime-only theory is that Eren's dad is in the basement frozen in Annie-ice. :psyboom:

fakeedit: Oh wait, did Eren eat him in a flashback? Oh well...

That seems to be what happened but it wasn't explicitly shown on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Cory Parsnipson posted:

That seems to be what happened but it wasn't explicitly shown on screen.

Wow.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Haha yeah actually I watched the clip again and it's pretty explicit. Never mind.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah this is the one final shot to get in your anime only basement theories.

The only thing I will say is there is SOMETHING in the basement, and basically every manga reader will tell you "this was worth the wait and satisfied expectations for everyone". So, with the knowledge that it's not nothing and that it's real good, before the floodgates open I want to see the final theories on what they will find there from every anime-only poster here.

There's so many things that throw me off that I can't make a guess I feel confident about for what would be in the basement. From the episode #1 title that implies a message sent with either a 2000 year time skip from the past or to the future, to the show's obsession with shots of flowers and people waking up staring into each others faces, to long hair Eren at the start of season 2 talking about Armin in the past tense. I can't even say for sure what we're watching is in "real time" or if it's a retelling of events like in My Hero Academia.

The most useful thing they could find is a diary or a real history book, because they need information badly, but nothing the show has done suggests that it would be that simple. I think it's more likely they find vials of titan juice which contain useful memories, but even that seems too simple.

After the next episode, I'd like to hear from manga readers if they were able to predict what would be in the basement ahead of time.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 7, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I can't imagine what would be in there that would be satisfactory, even the idea of a history book with pictures and a map seems almost insultingly simple.

Some sort of david lynchian dream horror would be incredible right now.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I do think it would make most sense for it to be some ancient titan (royalty?) in suspended animation. It could explain where Grisha got his weird tech from and the new character could explain the backstory.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I suppose whatever is in the basement would have to make sense for a child Eren to see, as his dad was going to take him down there before poo poo kicked off. No clue what that could be!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Donnerberg posted:

After the next episode, I'd like to hear from manga readers if they were able to predict what would be in the basement ahead of time.
In regards to predictions in general, there's one I always remember when people talk about "did anyone call it", and that was Bert and Ernie being the Colossal and Armored Titans. There was someone who guessed it YEARS before it was revealed, with an extremely detailed breakdown of every single manga frame where they were doing shifty poo poo, how they were always off doing other things when the Colossal showed up, the Armored Titan having hair like Reiner's, when Annie's Titan grabbed Reiner, etc. I don't think the website it was on is still up but it was so drat good, I wish someone had archived it. I think someone quoted it but it didn't also bring along the various image explanations and stuff. Also, keep in mind, the manga in the beginning was so poorly drawn that people weren't even sure that the Armored Titan was even a thing and not just a regular-rear end Titan that smashed through a wall. Like yeah it looked different but people weren't sure it was similar to the Colossal Titan. I don't recall when it was even referred to at all as The Armored Titan, actually.

But yeah, people do occasionally totally call it, when the signs are there, no matter how obscure.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

BRA were insanely shifty and suspicious in retrospect, I can certainly imagine someone guessing that twist after the Annie reveal.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Is annie still around?

Also how is zeke controlling the titans? I thought eren was supposed to have that ability?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Irony Be My Shield posted:

BRA were insanely shifty and suspicious in retrospect, I can certainly imagine someone guessing that twist after the Annie reveal.
Oh for sure, but there's explicit moments that you absolutely would never notice unless you combed back through each scene they're in in the manga, while Isayama's artwork early on was dogshit garbage(aside from successfully making incredibly horrific titan designs), he did a great job at making sure they were doing things that seemed innocuous until you actually suspected them of something. There's one scene where they are straight up about to bite their hands to transform, but if you don't suspect them of anything it just looks like they're covering their mouths in shock, recoiling in horror. It's super super well done, and imo the anime kind of force fed it to you more than it should have, like practically elbowing you going "ehhh, ehhhhh?". Still really good though of course, the adaptation aside from CGI Colossal Titan has been outstanding.

So for reference to my previous post's point, this is the initial attack on Shiganshina and the first appearance, in full, of the Armored Titan in the manga:

While it's obvious now, until Annie people pretty much thought the Armored Titan was just a Deviant since it's never called anything until much later and the artwork is not good so there's no armor on it to begin with, it just looks like another Titan. The only difference really is the weird jaw exhaust thing it did. The anime meanwhile made it extremely clear that it was more than just another titan. Hell, the Armored Titan scene in the first episode is one of my favorite scenes in the whole drat show, they perfectly nailed what a runaway freight train he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFmJZMhyIIA&hd=1

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Grisha did get Eren to eat him but maybe he found some way to split up the Founder Titan power and give some of it to Zeke too? That could explain why Zeke sees Eren as a fellow victim and Eren's relatively weak and initially dormant powers.

e: actually doesn't Annie also control titans during her arc?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

keep in mind, the manga in the beginning was so poorly drawn that people weren't even sure that the Armored Titan was even a thing and not just a regular-rear end Titan that smashed through a wall.

On of my favorite things that happened related to this series is that it became a meme in the Japanese fandom to say about the early art days, “is this Jean or Reiner???”, and later on during one of the manga Q&A features there was this response.
Reader question: How well can Hange see when she doesn’t have her glasses?
Author Answer: Without her glasses, Hange can’t tell the difference between Jean and Reiner.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Grisha did get Eren to eat him but maybe he found some way to split up the Founder Titan power and give some of it to Zeke too? That could explain why Zeke sees Eren as a fellow victim and Eren's relatively weak and initially dormant powers.

e: actually doesn't Annie also control titans during her arc?

Nope. She just calls them. They usually prefer shifters over humans, at least if the former are accessible. That's also why one of the Titans ignores Mikasa in Trost Arc as soon as he spots titanized Eren.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Also how is zeke controlling the titans? I thought eren was supposed to have that ability?

I want to hear theories on this, because I have no ideas other than a lesser form of the Coordinate power.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Founder had a pet gorilla with the same powers, which Zeke ate.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I've always thought the basement would have a map, a globe, or a tunnel.

I assume it has to be something simple or small due to Grisha originally arriving at the walls with nothing on hand. Meaning it is probably something that he acquired or built after living within the walls.

The tunnel idea came from one the bumpers in season 1, I think. It describes a guy that got disappeared for trying to tunnel under the walls. There was also one that mentioned that people got disappeared for building a balloon. Seems like going up or down might be important since doing so is really tightly controlled.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I think whatever is in the basement has to be organic, like a Titan in stasis or some living relic.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Brutakas posted:

I've always thought the basement would have a map, a globe, or a tunnel.

I assume it has to be something simple or small due to Grisha originally arriving at the walls with nothing on hand. Meaning it is probably something that he acquired or built after living within the walls.

The tunnel idea came from one the bumpers in season 1, I think. It describes a guy that got disappeared for trying to tunnel under the walls. There was also one that mentioned that people got disappeared for building a balloon. Seems like going up or down might be important since doing so is really tightly controlled.

I always assumed balloons were off-limits because it would show the world outside the walls, tunnels because it would raise questions about the nature of the walls.

Speaking of that bumper, I've heard a bunch of ways of translating what the guy found, that the walls either curve underneath or go straight down so deep that no one could reach the end. Is it clear to anyone what was actually meant?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah this is the one final shot to get in your anime only basement theories.

The only thing I will say is there is SOMETHING in the basement, and basically every manga reader will tell you "this was worth the wait and satisfied expectations for everyone". So, with the knowledge that it's not nothing and that it's real good, before the floodgates open I want to see the final theories on what they will find there from every anime-only poster here.

Some bottles and dirt.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Brutakas posted:

There was also one that mentioned that people got disappeared for building a balloon.

That was Armin’s parents. :smith: RIP, Mr. and Mrs. Artlert, tortured to death by the military police.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
You know it's kinda bullshit that Santa titan didn't get erens powers

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
He didnt bite off his head and drink his spinal fluid. Always chew your food.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

No other guesses in the few hours before the episode drops?

Here's what I don't want to see: A reveal a la Claymore, where the titans are just some stupid experiment by the people outside the walls create better warriors and it removes all stakes by going "and there's even MORE POWERFUL monsters!" in some other region.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
There is an after-credits scene

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Crunchy moved up the time on this episode so it should go up in 20 minutes from my post.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I have mixed feelings about the reveal in episode 56.

The basement was hyped up so much that three diaries and a photo were underwhelming. When they broke in and found his study, I thought they'd find a trap door for the key with something crazy in it.

I feel no interest in the industrial revolution era town or Grisha's backstory yet. Coal and guns are kind of meh when we've had swords and hookshots for so long. It could be a kneejerk reaction to the change in the setting, or maybe it's the specific era they picked.

The M.Night Village twist caught me off guard, but a time skip not related to the basement has been at the back of my mind since the first episode of S3 with long hair Eren. I hoped and still do, that there will be an absurd technological leap like with Gurren Lagann where Eren wakes up from hibernation and there's spaceships, mechs and titans. Maybe the Peaky Blinders town will deliver once they flesh it out. That's bound to be what the next episodes are about.

The first part of the episode with Armin was very compelling though. I want more of Armin coming to terms with what went down, and more Bert dream sequences.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Time to rejigger a little of Grisha's background, but most of it played out as I expected. Hidden books, photo of Grisha with wife and kid (Zeke, not revealed yet, but it's super obvious), and color still frames in the opening showing life outside the walls (airship and gate, if you haven't already seen them go look). The post-credits scene was not what I was expecting and I'm super excited to see how Grisha's defection plays out; current theory is that he uses an airship to get outside.

Next episode predictions: We find out what Grisha saw outside the walls (probably a reveal of the human-titan conflict, best guess is humans being kicked off the walls), and the main characters try to figure out what that means for their existence. A lot of "Why are other humans trying to kill us?" and "What did we do to deserve this?"

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That reveal...

:stare:

I'm going to have to read the manga once this season is over.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I've had all sorts of cascading theories about the Outside and Grisha's background. Here it goes.

Usually when someone becomes disillusioned and leaves a system in a narrative, it's because they were in a position of power and found out the lies their power was based on. Grisha did not originally come from a place of power, but he's about to learn about one of the biggest lies. The armbands, interior gates, and being told not to go outside the walls: these are are all elements of security theater. There Are Bad People Out There And We Need To Keep You Safe. He's about to find out that the government is causing the situation used to control them. His next actions could fall out in a few different ways:

1. He's determined to move himself into a position of power to keep himself safe. He becomes a doctor and involves himself to the point where he becomes a shifter, assuming this will keep him safe. Bad Stuff Happens and he flees.

2. He's determined to destroy the system, so he works to place himself in a position to dismantle it from within. He becomes a doctor to learn more about the titan process and make connections within the government. Bad Stuff Happens and he flees.

3. Some combo of the above: he's determined to move himself into a position of power, but realizes over time that the system needs to be destroyed. Bad Stuff Happens and he flees.

4. He keeps his head down. Bad Stuff Happens and he flees. Extremely unlikely, given the preview, but it should be mentioned for thoroughness.

Bad Stuff Happens options:

1. He does something treasonous (or with the appearance of such) and knows he has to flee. His wife is a casualty (as she's now guilty by association) and Zeke grows up angry and disavowing his connection to Grisha. The treasonous thing could be turning himself into a titan and eating a shifter without permission, or it could be learning some forbidden information, or helping someone who turned out to be treasonous, or any other thing a fascist state would assume to be treasonous.

2. His wife does something treasonous (or with the appearance of such) and he's guilty by association, so he flees.

3. He gets fed up with the system and flees, hoping that he can make a difference by locating the Coordinate.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I want to reiterate this for everyone: there is an extended post-credits scene, and you are really going to want to watch it.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 10, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Catalina posted:

I want to reiterate this for everyone: there is an extended post-credits scene, and you are really going to want to watch it.

poo poo was bananas. :tviv:

I was riveted to this entire episode, the haunting scenes walking through the dead city were perfect. :discourse:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pinwiz11 posted:

That reveal...

:stare:

I'm going to have to read the manga once this season is over.

You probably will anyways because I don't trust anyone besides wit to do the show justice like they have, and they're dropping the series after this season

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

You probably will anyways because I don't trust anyone besides wit to do the show justice like they have, and they're dropping the series after this season

Yeah. I wasn't planning on reading the manga myself, but it might happen because of this.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm having a tough time believing that a city exists with early 20th century technology, including a zeppelin, has not already discovered other cities. There's probably an explanation, but the ones I'm thinking of are kinda messy and hackneyed.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm having a tough time believing that a city exists with early 20th century technology, including a zeppelin, has not already discovered other cities. There's probably an explanation, but the ones I'm thinking of are kinda messy and hackneyed.

The question is how far that SPOILER got.

For all you know it went 5 miles out and caught fire and fell to a swarm of titans

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Almost wish the "is AoT fascist" debate was still going on given that post credits scene.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Almost wish the "is AoT fascist" debate was still going on given that post credits scene.

Well, the governments both inside and outside the walls are using fascist elements, but they're also shown to be horrific.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Not sure if three books lived up to and exceeded expectations like some people said but I'll wait to see what happens.

The long sequence of silence mixed with flashbacks was incredible work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

How many episodes are left this season? tia