Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Distorted Kiwi posted:

That was quite the wild ride

Ironically it was the exact opposite for that goon.
Still my favorite saga on here after all these years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

OMGVBFLOL posted:

it comes from the campaigns to get women doing self-exams and mammograms to increase early detection of breast cancer. and it was wildly successful,

My mom worked 25 years as a technician doing mammograms and when she retired a study came out that death reduction % attributable to the program was in the single digits. Mostly because when you have an aggressive form of breast cancer you're as good as dead by the time you find it (either as lump or on a mammogram). Most of the reduction came from improvements in treatment which you can argue is due to increased awareness, I'm not knocking it mind you.

e: here it is https://www.bmj.com/content/359/bmj.j5224

Knitting Beetles fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 5, 2019

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
"in the single digits" for cancer is a big fuckin deal

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If raising awareness didn't work, companies wouldn't advertise their products

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Got around to watching Everest 2015, it looks pretty but it can't decide whether it's a doco or a movie. It doesn't do a great job on the characters, and doesn't explain what was so controversial about the real events at the time. Current seasons make this drama look piffling, and the mistakes are still the same. You're better off watching a doco like The Dark Side of Everest.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

"in the single digits" for cancer is a big fuckin deal

Yeah, you don't hear about it much, but medical science has made a lot of headway against cancer. It doesn't get press because there hasn't been one big breakthrough. It's a lot of single-digit reductions in various types that have added up over the last couple decades.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
we watched this the other day, if you want to watch a harrowing as gently caress survival story I have you covered.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkOmvxOcr4E

His extremities freeze and his fingers start breaking off, while his mate succumbs to hypothermia and goes crazy. They are lying trapped on a thin ridge of mountain. A helicopter finds them but can't rescue them so they fly away and leave them for another couple of days of Hell.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Rondette posted:

we watched this the other day, if you want to watch a harrowing as gently caress survival story I have you covered.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkOmvxOcr4E

His extremities freeze and his fingers start breaking off, while his mate succumbs to hypothermia and goes crazy. They are lying trapped on a thin ridge of mountain. A helicopter finds them but can't rescue them so they fly away and leave them for another couple of days of Hell.

Any online reading for this? Tried searching, only thing that came up was that youtube video

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Haifisch posted:

Here's the thread for anyone who wants a refresher.

In that thread, someone links to this page:
https://www.elitedaily.com/life/culture/6-reasons-not-quitting-job-travel-waste-life/922153

quote:

So, get out there! If you've always wanted to hike K-2 -- go for it.

For your reference, the author is an early-20s guy who is now an Expert On Life because he moved to the wilderness that is Sydney or something and sang kareoke with "trannies" or whatever.

So yeah, I think he knows what he's talking about when he says you should just go out there and "hike" K2

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

simplefish posted:

sang kareoke with "trannies" or whatever.

i was gonna complain about this but yikes, that's exactly what he says in the article

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

Logan graduated from UCF majoring in journalism, minoring in beer pong, and film. Currently living down under, working on his yoga practice, he's mastered the illusive "Drunken Warrior Pose". For more follow Logan's Blog, kangaroontang.blogspot

most of his articles are about beer or yoga

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I support his desire to climb K-2 and I'll donate :10bux: toward the cause.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

aardvaard posted:

Logan graduated from UCF majoring in journalism, minoring in beer pong, and film. Currently living down under, working on his yoga practice, he's mastered the illusive "Drunken Warrior Pose". For more follow Logan's Blog, kangaroontang.blogspot

most of his articles are about beer or yoga

I dont think I've ever wanted to read a blog less in my life

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

simplefish posted:

For your reference, the author is an early-20s guy who is now an Expert On Life because he moved to the wilderness that is Sydney or something and sang kareoke with "trannies" or whatever.

elitedaily.com home of Elite Daily's celebration of the LGBTQIA+ community and " 10 trannies walking around in Christmas attire"

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

At what point does that acronym become so big that we just change it to “everybody but straight white males.”

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

High Lord Elbow posted:

At what point does that acronym become so big that we just change it to “everybody but straight white males.”
You either go full QUILTBAG or you say gently caress it and settle for Gender and Sexual Minorities (GSM).

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

or you're queer and you say queer. this is illegal if you're straight.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Bobby Digital posted:

I want to say it was a jogging stroller but I might be remembering incorrectly

LMAO it really was a stroller. OMG that guy was so drat dumb.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ironically it was the exact opposite for that goon.
Still my favorite saga on here after all these years

Yeah, it was the greatest thread ever. I particularly loved the irony in him pushing a cart filled with random crap, sleeping outside and carrying a crappy homemade cardboard sign just generally being crazy to promote awareness of mental health issues.

Like yeah buddy. People are aware of hobos. They know all about them. Cosplaying one doesn't really raise awareness about them, nor anyone else's mental health problems. Just your own.

Hope that guy got some help eventually.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

He said he was gonna try it again, didn't he? Anything ever happen from that? I didn't follow too closely.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

High Lord Elbow posted:

soon, we just need a few more breeders to whine about it and we'll be at the tipping point

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

BrainDance posted:

He said he was gonna try it again, didn't he? Anything ever happen from that? I didn't follow too closely.

I think he drove his BMW to Florida, does that count?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/three-indian-climbers-make-fake-everest-summit-claim/

quote:

Three Indian climbers, who claimed that they made it to the roof of the world on May 26, had not even reached Camp IV on Mt Everest this spring season, THT investigation has revealed.

[...]

“We met them at the base camp at around 12:30 pm on May 26, the day when Haryana climbers claimed to have summitted Mt Everest,” Chhiring Sherpa, a high-altitude climber, said, adding that it was highly unlikely to descend from the summit point to the base camp within a couple of hours.

Talking to this daily, the trio, however claimed that they reached the summit point at around 10:30 am. “We made it to the summit of Mt Everest after finding a fair weather on May 26; four Sherpa climbers guided us to the top of the world,” Kasana, 29, told THT.

The Department of Tourism was expected to issue our summit certificates in the next two weeks, Banwala, 21, said, adding that they along with four Sherpa guides were the only climbers who made it to the top of Mt Everest on May 26. When asked about the names of Sherpas, who accompanied them to the top, the climbers refused to share. “We don’t know their names,” Banwala said. They also declined to share their summit photos.

If you're going to lie about summiting Everest at least make your story believable!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Feel like we could make a killing running a photo booth of the peak at base camp

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Feel like we could make a killing running a photo booth of the peak at base camp

This is how you actually wouldn't make a killing on Everest.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nepal should switch from issuing climbing permits to just selling summit certificates. Charge extra for digitally editing you into photos.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PittTheElder posted:

Nepal should switch from issuing climbing permits to just selling summit certificates. Charge extra for digitally editing you into photos.

Use a howitzer to fire your feces all over Mt. Everest.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Nenonen posted:

I would pay for this.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Everyone's obsessed with the Everest, but tbh I'd be happy with something just a little Everer than my everyday hike

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nenonen posted:

sell climbers galligher sheets

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

simplefish posted:

Everyone's obsessed with the Everest, but tbh I'd be happy with something just a little Everer than my everyday hike

Personally I'm keeping things just the slightest bit Everish until I get more experience.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I can recommend Etna, it's like 3300m so a little thinner air but not dangerously so, plus it's a friggin' active volcano.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

gschmidl posted:

I can recommend Etna, it's like 3300m so a little thinner air but not dangerously so, plus it's a friggin' active volcano.

Living at reasonably high elevation (for the US), that's right around where I start noticing some difference in more strenuous hiking, above ~3 km was very noticeable and took some time to get used to back when I lived closer to sea level. It boggles my mind that Everest base camp already starts out not too far off from the highest peaks in the US and you only go up from there. That kind of kills most interest I have on going there just for the hiking experience, it looks stunning but not really something I want to deal with.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I lived at around 10k feet for a few years and even after you acclimatize it's still a very perceptible difference. like, it just becomes the new normal to get a little winded going up one flight of stairs

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I feel that it is well within the spirit of this thread

to present to you:

FEED THE REACTOR
https://twitter.com/komacore/status/1137692054899908608

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

How does one get into Pripyat

Get a permit by bribing an official

Bribe a soldier whose about ready to hand it over to Russia anyway

Bribe a glowing babushka to take you through the tunnel

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fish Noise posted:

I feel that it is well within the spirit of this thread

to present to you:

FEED THE REACTOR
https://twitter.com/komacore/status/1137692054899908608

gotta call BS on the relation to the show at least one of those is years old to not include the new confinement building

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

How does one get into Pripyat

Get a permit by bribing an official

Bribe a soldier whose about ready to hand it over to Russia anyway

Bribe a glowing babushka to take you through the tunnel

Hire a stalker to take you to the Room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Yeah I lived at around 10k feet for a few years and even after you acclimatize it's still a very perceptible difference. like, it just becomes the new normal to get a little winded going up one flight of stairs

That’s normal for goons at any elevation