Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

shiksa posted:

its one of those things in my mind that, like, of course i know that seal must have had hair at some point but i refuse to really believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

the photons are hitting my eyeballs but my brain is just producing static, sorry

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I rewatched the Scott Hall debut promos the other night and I don’t know if it’s just because it was such a radical shift for the time that don’t hold up, but hoo boy were those promos not good until Nash finally showed up a few weeks later.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Young Seal was a snack

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It felt like Hall was in a weird place during those promos where he couldn't decide if he was still trying to be Razor Ramon or not

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

All the time I watched Razor Ramon I thought Hall was doing some kind of unplacable accent.
Then he shows up in WCW and kept doing it.
But no, that's just his voice.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

It felt like Hall was in a weird place during those promos where he couldn't decide if he was still trying to be Razor Ramon or not

That might have been the point, the promo style in his first appearance is very WWF, let’s pause between every four... or five words for effect, style. He’d also been doing that style for years, it might have just been a force of habit.

Once he wipes that style away (right around when Nash, who needed no transition period, shows up), he turns into a good promo and had one of the most consistently over crowd participation catchphrases in the business. Survey says that poo poo was over even when everything else was starting to go cold

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

All the time I watched Razor Ramon I thought Hall was doing some kind of unplacable accent.
Then he shows up in WCW and kept doing it.
But no, that's just his voice.

From what I remember, Hall was always doing a bad Latino impression, even when he went to WCW and started using his real name. I remember reading stories that he looked and sounded very different before becoming Razor Ramon, but I've never actually seen any video of him from back then.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Here’s Scott Hall working a cowboy gimmick in Puerto Rico in 1991 https://youtube.com/watch?v=sq8HkT7e6dg

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rujasu posted:

From what I remember, Hall was always doing a bad Latino impression, even when he went to WCW and started using his real name. I remember reading stories that he looked and sounded very different before becoming Razor Ramon, but I've never actually seen any video of him from back then.

and Razor Ramon was a tweaked version of his og WCW gimmick, the Diamond Stud.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Scott Hall went from imitating Magnum TA, to imitating Hulk Hogan, to imitating Rick Rude, to imitating Tony Montana. It wasn't until he went back to WCW that he found the role he was born to play: an elderly alcoholic woman.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Here’s Scott Hall working a cowboy gimmick in Puerto Rico in 1991 https://youtube.com/watch?v=sq8HkT7e6dg

Here's Hall teaming up with the worst-named wrestler ever in Japan in 1990.

https://vimeo.com/151995383

I wonder whatever happened to THAT guy...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I’m intrigued by the possibilities of a cross between the Punisher and Andrew Dice Clay.

Hickory dickory dock scumbag.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's still a better gimmick than The Machine.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

rujasu posted:

I remember when WWE sued to prevent Hall from using the Latino accent. Along with other things.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
please tell me wwe tried to sue over Scott hall's hair or like the concept of using a toothpick

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

I remember when WWE sued to prevent Hall from using the Latino accent. Along with other things.

The WWE is bad but this was a good move because it stopped that poo poo.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

shiksa posted:

please tell me wwe tried to sue over Scott hall's hair or like the concept of using a toothpick
You know it!

quote:

The WWF contends in the lawsuit, "WCW thereafter began systematically copying virtually everything done by the WWF, raiding its talent, pawning off the WWF's reputation, and infringing Titan's rights." The suit establishes that Hall and Nash previously worked for WCW under different and "relatively obscure" personas, but their contracts were not renewed in May 1992 and June 1993 respectively.

The WWF said upon their hiring of Hall they developed a "unique name, persona, and trade dress" including a Hispanic accent, slicked back hair in a ponytail with a curl in the front, a toothpick in his mouth, multiple chains around his neck, razor blade jewelry or razor blade designs on his clothing, wrestling shorts, a vest, wrestling boots, and elbow and knee pads." The WWF says the persona of Diesel included "a goatee-style beard and moustache, black leather pants, a black leather vest decorated with silver studs and tassels, a black low-cut tank-top shirt, a black fingerless glove on the right hand, black elbow pads, black wrist bands and sunglasses, and black leather boots."

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheDirtsheets/comments/2fu99a/titan_sues_wcw_over_use_of_hall_and_nash_torch_394/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
E&C had a Good Post on the topic in the questions thread

Edge & Christian posted:

When Nash/Hall first showed up in WCW they weren't named and were definitely playing up their Diesel/Razor personas while talking about invading. By the end of June WWF had filed a lawsuit against WCW for how they were trying to use their 'intellectual property'.

They essentially argued that while Kevin Nash and Scott Hall are people, the characters of Diesel and Razor Ramon belong to WWE, and motioned to keep them from being allowed to do any of the following:

"Making references to Scott Hall as either "Razor Ramon" or "The Bad Guy" or presenting him with a Hispanic accent or being from a Hispanic background, with slicked black hair with a single curl in the front, with a toothpick in his mouth or behind his ear, gold chain or chains around his neck, wrestling shorts, wrestling boots, a vest, elbow and knee pads; razor blade jewelry or designs on his clothing or anything else used by Hall during his WWF tenure that would cause consumers to believe he is portraying Razor Ramon"

and

"Making any references to Kevin Nash as "Diesel" or "Big Daddy Cool" or presenting him in that character including a goatee-style beard and moustache, black tank-top, black pants, black leather boots, black vest, black fingerless glove or gloves, black sunglasses or anything else utilized by Titan during Nash's tenure with that organization"

One of Turner's counter-arguments was essentially that you can put anyone in a Batman or Superman suit and have it be a Batman/Superman movie, but you can't just toss the characteristics laid out above on some random rear end in a top hat and have them be Razor Ramon or Diesel, and if the concept of "Razor Ramon" is functionally worthless without Scott Hall, how can WWF claim so many damages?

So you know, after the opening arguments were made, WWF went, "Look! We can totally just throw this poo poo on anyone and call them Diesel and Razor, this is very valuable to us, stop WCW from damaging us!"

Really like the bit about how it's trademark infringement for a wrestler to wear wrestling boots in another company.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i mean it is a good thing that scott stopped doing the accent, and i always liked the dripping blood gear he wore WAY more than his razor gear anyway.

lol that "wrestling boots" was seriously a thing they were claiming as damages, cmon fellas, you're hurting your own case here when you get this crazy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is it true Nash started to insert more of himself in Diesel before he left WWF? I heard that somewhere. Of course his smiling babyface shtick infamously flopped and then he went on to just be himself in WCW which was a massive success, but somebody said there were hints of that at the tail end of his WWF run.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Is it true Nash started to insert more of himself in Diesel before he left WWF? I heard that somewhere. Of course his smiling babyface shtick infamously flopped and then he went on to just be himself in WCW which was a massive success, but somebody said there were hints of that at the tail end of his WWF run.

He had a period after dropping the belt where was kind of experimenting with the whole cool heel thing

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I can't answer that question, but it's loving hilarious how similar the Roman problem is to Diesel.

Smiling, blue contacts, sufferin' succotash. It's all the same bullshit the fans have hated since forever, again stuck on somebody whose personality is decidedly not that.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Kind of funny to me that they didn’t want him to wear wrestling boots, but he continued to call it a Jacknife Powerbomb for the entirety of his WCW run, which is probably the most viable in-road to saying they were using their IP.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Did WCW point out that Razor Ramon was already similar to The Diamond Studd?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Numero6 posted:

Did WCW point out that Razor Ramon was already similar to The Diamond Studd?
That's probably how he kept the toothpick.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Kind of funny to me that they didn’t want him to wear wrestling boots, but he continued to call it a Jacknife Powerbomb for the entirety of his WCW run, which is probably the most viable in-road to saying they were using their IP.

You start trying to police move names and you're in a world of hurt.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

shiksa posted:

i mean it is a good thing that scott stopped doing the accent, and i always liked the dripping blood gear he wore WAY more than his razor gear anyway.

lol that "wrestling boots" was seriously a thing they were claiming as damages, cmon fellas, you're hurting your own case here when you get this crazy.

I figure a lot of things get thrown into lawsuits that the judge throws out. It’s not like there was a lot to his costume or gimmick.

It’s not like the judge said ‘sorry Scott, you gotta wrestle in flip flops now’.

I don’t think you can call is ip theft if he keeps wearing a vest, because it’s basic clothing and pretty common in wrestling. but he just can’t wear a vest with a razor blade on it. And just to be safe make sure it’s not purple/green and gold.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I only just now put together that the Jackknife is a reference to trucking because Diesel, and probably not, like, an actual knife

gooood daaaaaamn

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

I can't answer that question, but it's loving hilarious how similar the Roman problem is to Diesel.

Smiling, blue contacts, sufferin' succotash. It's all the same bullshit the fans have hated since forever, again stuck on somebody whose personality is decidedly not that.

It was sorta the same with Lex Luger- the Lex Express probably sounded good on paper but it’s so clearly not him. Though of course in that case they hosed up the booking completely and that overshadowed any other issues.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Vince, June 1993

Vince: gently caress Hogan.
Vince: gently caress, I need a new Hogan.
(Looks at Lex)
Vince: Holy poo poo another Hogan.
Lex: Despite your belief to the contrary Hulk Hogan was a phenomena unto himself and not something you can replicate with any bleached blonde tanned musclehead
Vince: Here, body slam this fat guy!
Lex: You can't recreate Wrestlemania III. This guy is not Andre, he just never met a carb he didn't eat 2 seconds later.
Vince: GET ON THIS BUS!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And then like most of Lex's career, he ran into a hilarious problem where all they really had to do was book him to win the title and he probably would have been fine. They booked him so the best he ever got on Yoko was a countout win that was treated like he'd won the belt.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DeathChicken posted:

And then like most of Lex's career, he ran into a hilarious problem where all they really had to do was book him to win the title and he probably would have been fine. They booked him so the best he ever got on Yoko was a countout win that was treated like he'd won the belt.

They only did that once it became clear that Lex absolutely loathed doing the Lex Express and meeting fans like he was Hogan. He was a natural heel.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

shiksa posted:

Razor Ramon and his appearance was actually registered with the trademark office as trade dress

it also isn't really the only argument in the entire case

the entire case was basically WWF sues WCW over making it seem like WWF is invading WCW, citing the Razor and Diesel characters and appearances as well as all of the WCW company statements on the matter being lies to feign an invasion.

This isn't talking about stuff on TV, but in interviews Bischoff said that Hall and Nash weren't WCW employees on non-WCW media interviews. The WCW Hotline numbers pushed the same confusion angle, and iirc at one point said that "It's no surprise that Vince McMahon isn't publicly claiming responsibility to the Hall and Nash appearances, it's not like Russia took credit for the Rosenburgs". (Might not be the exact quote, but uh)

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Razor Ramon and his appearance was actually registered with the trademark office as trade dress

the entire case was basically WWF sues WCW over making it seem like WWF is invading WCW, citing the Razor and Diesel characters and appearances as well as all of the WCW company statements on the matter being lies to feign an invasion.

This isn't talking about stuff on TV, but in interviews Bischoff said that Hall and Nash weren't WCW employees on non-WCW media interviews. The WCW Hotline numbers pushed the same confusion angle, and iirc at one point said that "It's no surprise that Vince McMahon isn't publicly claiming responsibility to the Hall and Nash appearances, it's not like Russia took credit for the Rosenburgs". (Might not be the exact quote, but uh)

ahem they're independent contractors

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Sure, but you gotta admire the "spaghettium ad wallum" school of tort jurisprudence.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I thought they called it the Truckstop powerbomb in WCW? I think it was referred to that in games or something.

I do remember in his WWF run at the end he was saying he wasn't going to acknowledge fans who didn't have the glove on. Cool heel stuff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

They only did that once it became clear that Lex absolutely loathed doing the Lex Express and meeting fans like he was Hogan. He was a natural heel.

They did it so they could drag the payoff to WrestleMania.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like the other issue was that they needed a new All-American babyface for the USS Entrepid angle with Hogan out, and All-American Bret Hart didn't quite cut it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I feel like the other issue was that they needed a new All-American babyface for the USS Entrepid angle with Hogan out, and All-American Bret Hart didn't quite cut it for some reason.

HACKSAW JIM DUGGAN WAS RIGHT THERE