Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Zesty posted:

I have some bad news about Aadit for you.

I know. I was being facetious with the live happily ever after stuff. The game puts nearly thirty eligible characters and I picked the one that fucks off forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Extra deep spoiler. Aadit is probably the Rogue Knight, but nothing in the game absolutely confirms it. Aadit fucks right off RIGHT when you defeat the Rogue Knight and even Presley notes the connection between the two.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

All done. Good recommendation.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

TurnipFritter posted:

I know. I was being facetious with the live happily ever after stuff. The game puts nearly thirty eligible characters and I picked the one that fucks off forever.

I think Ginger dies as well

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

LegoMan posted:

trips on construction material and gets a stake through the heart does she

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

LegoMan posted:

Looks like this may have been originally planned but it's definitely not currently implemented.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It feels like Cotton Llama prices are an exploit because of how profitable they are, but given how expensive land and the third tier homes and assembly platforms are, it also somehow feels completely intentional.

(it also kind of sucks that cotton llamas are so lovely as mounts compared to well trained colorful llamas)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Mokinokaro posted:

Looks like this may have been originally planned but it's definitely not currently implemented.

actually, I hear it’s in the game and hard coded to happen in year 5. But I can’t imagine playing that far because it doesn’t take that long to see all the other content.

Apparently the Chinese audience of the game review bombed Portia over it because they wanted a way to prevent it in-game.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
iirc they are working on implementing a change to the quest because of the backlash but it’s not in yet

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Zesty posted:

actually, I hear it’s in the game and hard coded to happen in year 5. But I can’t imagine playing that far because it doesn’t take that long to see all the other content.

Apparently the Chinese audience of the game review bombed Portia over it because they wanted a way to prevent it in-game.

Checking the wiki for the first time in months, yeah, the section that was previously "there's some letter in the text dump that's probably a dev remnant" is now "if you're married to her on Winter 11 of Year 5 she falls horribly ill and you get a quest to try and make a cure that is doomed to fail and a week later you go on one last date and she dies in your arms (if you're not married, she just dies offsceen)." Which yeah, is a bit of a difference! I'm going to go ahead and assume this was found by a Chinese player somewhere around April 23, because that's when the review bomb happened.

also according to the wiki, Ginger is apparently based on one of the developer's aunt's failed battle with cancer, which makes the discussion of changing the quest to have a positive outcome....better? worse? I have no idea.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Some people sure care a lot about their video game waifus. This game doesn't even have that interesting characters, and that arc is maybe one of the only interesting character developments in it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I know everyone's busy playing Trials of Mana in Collection of Mana for Nintendo Switch, or talking about the latest news from e3, but it appears they've put out a performance patch for Xbone and PS4 (with the Switch version coming soon)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Little content patch just dropped. New quests related to Petra and Dr Xu. Also a new outfit and a new weapon.

quote:

Added:

Added an icon for the player's home on the map. The map will follow the position of this
Added ten more levels to the Deepest Ruin
Added a new weapon, 'Golden Staff', as a reward for going through the Deepest Ruin
Added side missions for Dr. Xu
Added side missions for Petra
Added the Monkey King clothing set
Added side missions for the Monkey King clothing set
Added a new hair style
Added initial Korean and Turkish language support

Adjusted:

If the player carries out actions whilst holding their baby, the baby will be sent home.
Optimised the interaction distance between buildings and mounts
Optimised NPCs chore actions. They will now fuel machines and add feed for animals before it runs out
Optimised NPCs following the player. NPCs will teleport less often when the player is on a mount
Optimised English voiceover
Optimised some sound effects

Fixed:

Fixed the bug that character's Pa is unable to attend their wedding
Fixed the bug that a date would be interrupted when riding a mount
Fixed the bug that the baby will be dropped while the player character is restoring HP or SP
Fixed the bug that the competition time of Martial Arts Tournament final is not 90 seconds
Fixed the bug where the camera cannot be rotated if Vertical Synchronization is turned off
Fixed issues with the appearance of the map
Fixed the incorrect conversation when fullfilling Sonia's wish
Fixed the bug that voice of The gift from Aadit can't play
Fixed the bug that the player's spouse cannot attend their birthday party if there are too many attendees
Fixed the bug where the carpet in 'Chat Among the Grass' would disappear
Fixed some errors in the skills information
Fixed some map configuration issues
Fixed the bug causing the game to softlock when the player attends the Portia Land Run with a Robopig Rider
Fixed the bug that Ginger will not hold an umbrella on Starlight Island
Fixed the bug that QQ floats in the air while asleep

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dana is such a weird character. She shows up so late in the game and seems to spend all her time at the mines area, a place you're not likely to travel to unless you're expressly going to visit her, she doesn't seem to show up for town events. It doesn't help that every character that shows up after her is a story NPC with no relationship values (though speaking of that: Boy is the endgame full of story NPCs)

The Factory is good, I like being able to just dump my collected materials into its 300 slot material bin and forget about them. Does the Factory pull from Completed Materials, or do I have to move those to its Materials Bin first? Like, if I'm producing a lot of Charcoal and Carbon Steel Bars, will the Carbon Steel Bars pull from the completed Charcoal, or...?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Y'all all talk poo poo about Higgins but dude was prepared to break his own shoulder to save the squad. Can't wait to play the sequel, My Time At Duvos, where you get to chase down your deadbeat hippie husband and explain to him that neither the teddy bear nor the 400 attack power sword is sufficient apology for repeatedly stabbing you in the face, and also him ditching you doesn't count as a Divorce for the achievement either, which, what the gently caress my dude.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The greatest of crimes. Did not give me an achievement.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
It is surprising how much I love this game. I'm at like 55 hours and just finished the Harbor and Island adventure. For all of its flaws (combat), I don't think I've ever played a game that has nailed the sense of progress and achieving goals like this game does.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My Time at Portia is beautiful, but does anybody else get seasick playing it? I've turned off head bob and gone to the widest possible screen, but it is still a problem for me.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
I have been playing this via gamepass and after getting over the very "Korean MMO" look to it, I have been enjoying the crafting grind.

A couple of questions for those who have been playing this already:

-Are the drops in the Abandoned Ruins static, or is everything picked up using the scanner random? In other words if I "reset" the floor with the elevator, do I lose anything I didn't yet collect?
-Is there any kind of time pressure besides those commissions/quests that are clearly marked as having 7 days to complete? It took me like a week to get the bridge to the first island finished and that seems like it was probably too long but I don't think anyone cared.
-What is missable I should know about before getting too far into the first year? Or does everything pretty much cycle forever?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
1. The items are pre-generated for the ruins but the list of items that can generate there remain static. Resetting the floor regenerates those items again and you won't miss anything permanently.

2/3. No time pressure, take the game at your own pace. Everything is tied to your progress.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
It seems to me that the only thing you can really miss are a few achievements. If you don't care about those, play with abandon.

This game is great and is justifying gamepass imo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The only achievement you can miss in a playthrough and have no chance to get it back is "City Transporter: Complete all five Dee-dee transport commissions."

You can only accept one at a time, but you can pick up the next one as soon as you turn one in. To guarantee the achievement, you don't need to actually complete all five, you can just complete 4 and pick up the 5th so Asshat doesn't pick it up.

Unrelated to the Dee-dee achievement, if you are super into achievements, make sure you do a commission every single day, even if it's a crappy low level commission. There's an achievement for doing 150 of them and I finished all the other content with only 80 done.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 8, 2019

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, really, the main “missable” thing in the first year is that the main plot doesn’t really last a year if you focus on it, so slow the heck down, spend days fishing or chatting or dating, and make sure to go to every festival.

The “big plot” requests will generally sit forever once you’ve picked them up - the first time I played it took me maybe two month later to get the Tree Farm fixed and nobody cared.

The only thing really “timed” is that when a batch of new stuff drops due to the main plot (like the Dee Dees) then the villain-builder will take some if you’re not quick enough, which makes getting ahead of him in ranking tougher. The easiest way to deal with that is to recognize big plot points (someone asks you to build something specific, someone asks you to investigate a place) and put off progressing it until you feel like you want to push the game forward.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What's the best way to get stamina back at the start? The best I've found is the roping game at McDonalds farm but the milk doesn't give that much stamina back and it gets tedious after awhile. Kicking apple trees is net negative stamina most of the time. You also regenerate stamina back by sitting on benches which is a nice, immersive touch.

Alternately, if there's a way to avoid triggering story beats like the DDs until I'm ready that would be great too. Has anyone tried just not turning in your certificate to Gale? In the demo you could still do commissions without doing that so I guess that would be the easiest way to pause the story if it works.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Invest in drying racks for apricots and apples and get all the stamina you’ll ever need :getin:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Eating at the restaurant is pretty cheap (check the sparkly bread at the counter), especially if you get the Daily Special, you can also find Dried Apple Slices in chests around town. But kloa is right, what you're eventually aiming for is a level 2 Worktable so you can make Drying Racks and start making Dried Apple Slices in mass.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Good use of aroma apples (if you're not using them all on gifts). You can have the racks make many many dozens and just let them do their thing without much input.

I think an Aroma Apple makes 5 slices, as opposed a regular apple's one slice, but they both stack the same amount on the rack so Aromas are the best lazy option for set it and forget it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Eating at the restaurant is pretty cheap (check the sparkly bread at the counter), especially if you get the Daily Special, you can also find Dried Apple Slices in chests around town. But kloa is right, what you're eventually aiming for is a level 2 Worktable so you can make Drying Racks and start making Dried Apple Slices in mass.

Thanks, this helped a lot. What I ended up doing was spending all my stamina in the ruins and then eating at Djangos if I thought I had enough time to use the extra stamina. Usually on fishing.

kloa posted:

Invest in drying racks for apricots and apples and get all the stamina you’ll ever need :getin:

That seems like more of a midgame thing, unless there's some way to get apples reliably in the first 2 weeks. Is that where everyone gets their apples from? My first game I had the extra drops from kicking/harvesting skill maxed and still felt like kicking trees was very inefficient unless I needed

mini-week 1 guide to get quickly setup for crazy people like me
Day 1 - You arrive on a boat and Presley wants you to follow him. First kick the nearest tree until it tells you the tree doesn't have anything to give anymore. Then kick the other tree the game will let you reach with the rest of your stamina. Follow Presley only after you use up all your stamina. This will give you enough xp to level, put your skill point in xp up.

Day 2 - Run around the outside of Portia following the wall East, gathering as you go. Steal the bar from Higgins furnace. Go back to your workshop and gather wood and stone from around your workshop and to the West of Portia's gate that is near your workshop. Use the materials to build an axe, pickaxe, and basic furnace. Keep all three items in your inventory and go show them to Presley at the commerce guild just up the road from your workshop. Don't worry about talking to people yet (you can if you want to). Take a commission if there is one you can complete. Go see Gale, map should show you where he is but he's probably in the building right next door to where Presley is (to the East). Put a second skill point into the xp up skill. Go chop down small trees and bushes until you have enough wood to repair your house then do that. Also put your builders certificate on the wall (have to put it in your inventory and use it like a tool when near an interior wall). Do whatever you want with any left over stamina. Put your next two skill points into the skill that makes mining use less stamina (most of your xp for the next few days is going to come from mining so doubling the amount of xp you get is the best investment). After mining stamina boost is done, put points into either xp boost or run boost (I did run boost because I'm impatient and like to run) until you can put points in Strike (one of the tier 2 fight skills). Wiki and reddit says mining and woodchopping work by doing "damage" so strike boosts the efficiency of both your tools as well as combat. Maxed out it increases damage by 48% so if reddit is correct, that's almost as big a savings as reducing the stamina cost for mining and it stacks. Overachievers can eek out a little extra stamina by playing the roping game in the field with the cows. When your out of stamina, run around and collect all the chests in town. Don't forget the two inside the apartment building.

Day 3 - Run around the outside of Portia following the wall East, gathering as you go. Steal the bar from Higgins furnace. Go check on commissions. This is now your morning routine until you feel sufficiently avenged on that bastard Higgins. It's probably worth getting the quest to talk to the shop owners from Gale. I did it immediately while writing this and it ate up most of the day which wasn't at all worth it. You'll see most of the shopowners during your daily routine over the next few days so don't waste time hunting them down for the quest. Instead, do commissions if you can and then hit the mines. When you run out of stamina get your furnace up and running (making bronze bars unless doing a commission). If there's enough time left, you can go eat at Djangos and either mine some more or go fishing. I suggest buying as many caterpillars as you can from Sophie's farm store and fishing. Even the easy fishing spot that is closest to your house will make you 300-400 gols if you use up all the stamina you got from Djangos. That's enough to upgrade your first tool, or maybe both if you got lucky. Overachievers can eek out a little extra stamina by playing the roping game in the field with the cows when you go buy bait from Sophie.

Days 4 through 7 - same as day 3, except you should be turning in Data disks to Petra as often as you can. Don't talk to Lee unless you have a spare data disk because he takes it to complete his data disk quest (unlike Lee, Petra doesn't steal your data disk when you talk to her). Somewhere sneak in building the grinder and then civil cutter you need to make your civil furnace. You'll also want two-three basic furnaces running pretty early but they can be fit in whenever.

If you do this you should have your first civil furnace finished by Sunday evening. Strike will be nearly maxed out. Once it is, put points wherever you want.

It took me until Monday (the 8th) evening but I wasted time in a few places. A few more days and I'll have the trio of civil furnaces and all the other basic essentials up and running. Diving the ruins hard gave me lots of data disks but not enough to branch out and afford a tree, much less the tree and fertilizer tiles I want from the church store. Soon though.

In theory you can make more money fishing by fishing at the falls, but I was never willing to sacrifice a day to make the multi-hour run over there. Maybe I'll give that a try when my ruin access expires.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Is there any way to speed up cooking food? Feeding in one ingredient at a time is frustrating when there are quests asking for 8 of the exact same item.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

LLSix posted:

Is there any way to speed up cooking food? Feeding in one ingredient at a time is frustrating when there are quests asking for 8 of the exact same item.

Eventually you'll meet a character who can cook for you instantaneously, but until then it's the stinky "add one ingredient at a time" thing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’ve been playing this game free though the Xbox PC Gamepass. I love the setting because it vaguely resembles Megaman Legends with the modern city, ruins to dig in, so on.

The lack of polish is appalling though. My protagonist VO is loud, vs everyone else. Cutscenes are weirdly made, I can clip myself into walls to climb, if I touch water the game fades to black and teleports me back instead of just putting an invisible wall there. Some of the animations don’t look right at all. Movement in the beginners mine feels odd and clunky.

I’d like to say I have a good tolerance for jank, but this feels completely unfinished in that regard. I’m really glad I didn’t buy it, expecting to be feature complete. Still gonna play along because it *is* fun and cute, but yikes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think I paid full price. No regrets in that regard. But yeah, it's pretty rough around the edges.

Still has a nice charm.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It is super janky but more than makes up for it IMO. My SO is absolutely in love with the sunsets in this game.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Azran posted:

It is super janky but more than makes up for it IMO. My SO is absolutely in love with the sunsets in this game.

So am I. drat, those sunsets.

I really wish I could set the field of vision wider than the slider allows, though. Motion sickness ahoy.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

buglord posted:

I’ve been playing this game free though the Xbox PC Gamepass. I love the setting because it vaguely resembles Megaman Legends with the modern city, ruins to dig in, so on.

The lack of polish is appalling though. My protagonist VO is loud, vs everyone else. Cutscenes are weirdly made, I can clip myself into walls to climb, if I touch water the game fades to black and teleports me back instead of just putting an invisible wall there. Some of the animations don’t look right at all. Movement in the beginners mine feels odd and clunky.

I’d like to say I have a good tolerance for jank, but this feels completely unfinished in that regard. I’m really glad I didn’t buy it, expecting to be feature complete. Still gonna play along because it *is* fun and cute, but yikes.

There are a lot of rough edges, but there's also a ton of content. I've played 90 in-game days over 70 hours and it seems like there's still a good amount to do.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I think my biggest pet peeve at the moment is how the game sometimes stutters when you swing with a sword.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah i'm whining about the lack of polish because others in the genre like Stardew Valley or Animal Crossing are incredibly polished. Still enjoying it though. Working on a bridge to get across to that new area.

I already checked BeforeIPlay.com, but are there any newbie traps or additional quality of life things I should be aware of? I haven't really gone minmaxing yet, I only have one furnace, just taking it all in. The game seems fine with me taking things at my own pace, but I'd rather not grind or do something painstakingly slow if there's some quick option im overlooking.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
download cheatengine and set hotkeys for 1, 2 and 3x

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

buglord posted:

Yeah i'm whining about the lack of polish because others in the genre like Stardew Valley or Animal Crossing are incredibly polished. Still enjoying it though. Working on a bridge to get across to that new area.

I already checked BeforeIPlay.com, but are there any newbie traps or additional quality of life things I should be aware of? I haven't really gone minmaxing yet, I only have one furnace, just taking it all in. The game seems fine with me taking things at my own pace, but I'd rather not grind or do something painstakingly slow if there's some quick option im overlooking.

You're eventually going to want lots of furnaces.

The irrigation/water tower and irrigation tiles from the church are huge quality of life improvements but not necessary and you can buy fertilizer from the farm.

Other than that, nothing else is too critical. I posted a try hard guide a little ways up. Here's a few other tips that might save you some frustration.

The fastest way to get data disks is to just mine ore, there's a random chance to get them whenever you mine in the ruins and the chance is high enough that its faster to just do that than to chase relics with the scanner (you still want to chase relics for other reasons).

Fishing is a great source of money, and gets way easier after you get the level 2 workshop and upgrade your fishing rod.

If you want animals, you can just buy the relevant building from Albert & Gus's shop. Their shop is tucked in just beside the commerce guild and I didn't notice it the first month I played. Nothing in the game really guides you in this direction. Possibly because animals aren't that profitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yeah, I've played for like... 50+ hours and never touched animals, didn't feel worth it

Kind of a shame, really