Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Does Slayer get a doggy?

No, nor do any of the archetypes as far as I can tell. I mean, it's a full BAB class that gets a decent number of sneak attack dice, plus a mechanic generally superior to Ranger's Favored Enemy even in the tabletop version. In Kingmaker's ludicrously easy to accomplish sneak attack mechanic, it's going to be vicious as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I need to install Pathfinder again anyway and play through it one day. Maybe the Enhanced Update is the time to do it.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I'm loathe to discover what sort of astronomical monster stats a procedurally generated Kingmaker dungeon will reveal

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mondian posted:

I'm loathe to discover what sort of astronomical monster stats a procedurally generated Kingmaker dungeon will reveal

Goblin and Kobolds now do ability damage on all attacks and spells. :v:

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

JamMasterJim posted:

Slayer is a cool addition. Wonder which archetypes they will put in.

Deliverer, Spawn Slayer, and Vanguard apparently

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mondian posted:

A level two kobold has twice the stats of the entire party combined. Oh and this too:

Back Hack posted:

Goblin and Kobolds now do ability damage on all attacks and spells. :v:
Permanent ability damage. D4 against all all eight of them. And they can't roll less than five.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
The thing that I liked about the game were dialogues, hand-crafted puzzles, collecting artifacts instead of boring gold, small, brief and to the point locations you get in 1st chapter. I think many people think the same.

And it is as if as devs try to make a point that combat and huge locations are fine. By giving us giant randomly generated combat gauntlet. Well RNG won't do worse job of placing three identical spiders in a dozen rooms, and then three trolls in a dozen rooms on the next level. And so on.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I was about ready to give this another go, but I guess I'll wait two weeks for the EE.

Maybe this time it won't be filled with gamebreaking bugs, then a few months for patches, many of which introduce more gamebreaking bugs?

Mordecai fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 24, 2019

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Enhanced edition will have Enhanced Bugs.
I will start playing on July again personally

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

JamMasterJim posted:

Enhanced edition will have Enhanced Bugs.
I will start playing on July again personally

The last free DLC worked fine from day one, though it was a lot less ambitious in scope than this one.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I finally finished this. Tried for but didn't get even the good ending, they're just wasn't enough time because i prioritized opportunity cards over curses, welp. It was also a serious slog at the end, so much so that i almost just left it unfinished. Who thought an entire 3 hour dungeon of nothing but ghosts that level drain you and wild hunt archers that do will saves to not freeze for a whole minute and do 50+ damage a round and mandragora swarms that do 4 ability damage every attack were any fun at all. Making death ward and freedom of movement mandatory for all fights was not at all a interesting or even good design choice. I had to google the second one because i thought will save fey? Mind affecting! But nope. Somehow it's another thing. Then once you finish that dungeon there's actually 3 more hours of the game after that. Blah. Oh well. It's done and i enjoyed the first 3/4 of the game.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 27, 2019

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Someone's made a Turn-Based Combat mod. Turn-Based Combat in Pillars of Eternity II finally got me into that game, so I'm hoping this will do the same, though I'll probably wait until the Enhanced Edition to try playing again.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Even has a hacky 5ft step, nice. Prob still provokes an aoo, but its progress

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Has anyone messed around with the open beta for Enhanced?

It's been too nice out for me to get past the first chapter, which is where most of the changes seem to come in. Found a couple of new areas and new enemies already in the first chapter though. Slayer is still not /quite/ fully implemented and I don't love the class but it's pretty good. They have no starting equipment (or uh, clothing), one of their later abilities is still bugged, and like in the tabletop version, their level 20 capstone keys off of intelligence, which they have no particular use for at levels 1 - 19 (unless you build them as a skill monkey, which they are okay at but still, they get enough skills not to need a ton of INT). So, they seem pretty much ideal for multiclassing, maybe into Vivisectionist to get a little extra sneak attack and some nice self buffs or something. I haven't looked at them much, they were added to the TT around when I stopped playing regularly.

Some of the quality of life stuff listed in the change log looks really good, and I have very much liked that now when you level up, when choosing things like teamwork feats or spells, you can see who else in your party already has those things. Very helpful for building spontaneous casters and generally good.

They also now tell you where you found particular items, so tracking down artifact shards should be a little less obnoxious, though it still seems possible to come up a little short.

There are apparently a lot of changes to the kingdom management but of course I'm not there yet, anyone else have any thoughts?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
One nice addition in Kingdom management is Crisis Points, which you can use to enhance rolls for events (like +25 on a roll to solve a problem with an advisor), but the game makes no mention of where you can get more than the starting ones.
Also, travel banter triggering on overworld map is a good change. They had like 5 hours worth of dialogue most people heard like 20 minutes of.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Someone's made a Turn-Based Combat mod. Turn-Based Combat in Pillars of Eternity II finally got me into that game, so I'm hoping this will do the same, though I'll probably wait until the Enhanced Edition to try playing again.

Doesn't that make the game last like forever? That's the major point why I'm kind of uninterested in this kind of mods that change the combat system, as the point in games like DOS2 is to have a much more compact game with each fight more or less designed with that system in mind.
But luckily I like "real time with pause" quite a lot so I just take the original and roll with it, hope you have a blast with this.

Anyone in the know about those artisan items that you get for leveling the kingdom stats? Is this some other stuff on top of the usual artisan stuff? Good stuff or expensive vendor trash?
Sounds like a lot to be honest. I'm kind of on a break from the game (in Pitax chapter) but I will return eventually. Reached the point of having way more BP than I need and I guess money is borderline there as well.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 28, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Bolivar posted:

Anyone in the know about those artisan items that you get for leveling the kingdom stats? Is this some other stuff on top of the usual artisan stuff? Good stuff or expensive vendor trash?

You can get good stuff, but the quest line needs to be completed. Most of them were also bugged for a while. Each Artisan has a masterpiece that is some sort of best in slot item usually, that you get one of.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

You can get good stuff, but the quest line needs to be completed. Most of them were also bugged for a while. Each Artisan has a masterpiece that is some sort of best in slot item usually, that you get one of.

I think you're talking about the "standard" artisan stuff now, I referred to the Enhanced Edition stuff, which apparently is on top of that.

Just based on the EE batch notes. I got the idea that it's some extra carrot on a stick to keep people motivated to do KM.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 28, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

:swoon: :swoon:

I might...uh...need to replay this now.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
The new changes are mostly good. New map near the spider cave that contains a new model/monster, Manticore. Spider cave expanded, after having to reload to defeat the first major boss fight of the game, multiple spider swarms, I was rewarded with a +1 Orc Double Axe. Boggards are in on multiple maps on the first chapter, including a bitch of a map with many Boggards with 3-4 levels of Ranger, Fighter, or Barbarian, with a big boss with 8 Barb levels. Loot has also gotten changed around or added to, with me finding a +1 Gnomish Hook Hammer at the camp map that contained Kressle and her goons, also a +1 Bardiche somewhere that I gave to Amiri to help poke things in Grease/Web to death.

I still haven't gotten to Stag Lord yet but I've enjoyed the additions so far. Some stuff in chapter 1 is still either savescum like I did or just realize you should come back. The Boggard with class levels swamp/cave was made possible by Grease + Web.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Bolivar posted:

I think you're talking about the "standard" artisan stuff now, I referred to the Enhanced Edition stuff, which apparently is on top of that.

Just based on the EE batch notes. I got the idea that it's some extra carrot on a stick to keep people motivated to do KM.

If it's along the lines of the regular loot you get from Artisans, it'll be garbage. It's written as "a special gift" in the change log, but that could mean anything.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
So killing Auchs in the Stag Lord fight keeps crashing my game (in this beta), couldn't find any way around it except reinstalling Cheat Menu and just tripping the flag for the Stag Lord quest without killing him.

They also appear to have added some kind of a respec option available from Anoriel but it seems fairly broken at the moment.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

So my game imploded because I ignored a main quest for a bit and some rear end in a top hat cast a spell and my kingdom got decimated.

Thinking about re-rolling -- should I just wait for the EE? When's it coming out?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Paranoid Peanut posted:

So my game imploded because I ignored a main quest for a bit and some rear end in a top hat cast a spell and my kingdom got decimated.

Thinking about re-rolling -- should I just wait for the EE? When's it coming out?

Early June. Can't remember exactly but it's single digit so pretty soon.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
believe it's 6/6

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It's here yall and the patch notes are frankly very funny https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/1640913421072019743/

as is the new dlc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X50WD95XZBU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Alright, I've been hankering for some isometric party based goodness, so now's the time to finally jump into this game, I imagine. Also, I remember reading that the new dungeon, while intended to be standalone, is also integrated into the campaign so you can take your main character through it. is that correct? I'm not a fan of disconnected content. That's why I never even tried the black pits in BG1/2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Alright, I've been hankering for some isometric party based goodness, so now's the time to finally jump into this game, I imagine. Also, I remember reading that the new dungeon, while intended to be standalone, is also integrated into the campaign so you can take your main character through it. is that correct? I'm not a fan of disconnected content. That's why I never even tried the black pits in BG1/2.

the store page says that there's a pre-defined version of the dungeon that appears in the campaign for you to explore, but the roguelike mode with randomized runs and unlocks and stuff is a separate thing

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

corn in the bible posted:

the store page says that there's a pre-defined version of the dungeon that appears in the campaign for you to explore, but the roguelike mode with randomized runs and unlocks and stuff is a separate thing

Ok, cool. Does it say gameplay length of that dungeon per chance? I can't view it at work. Any advice on a new character build? My experience with this ruleset is mainly NWN1/2 and RtWP I've played all the Infinity Engine/Pillars games. I tried an hour or so of this game a few months ago but found a lot of it obtuse, but I may have not had the patience then either.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Doesn't say, so I've no idea how long it's supposed to be.

Also they finally added respeccing which is good because you will never ever make a viable character without having played the game partway through

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

corn in the bible posted:

Doesn't say, so I've no idea how long it's supposed to be.

Also they finally added respeccing which is good because you will never ever make a viable character without having played the game partway through

Ok, that's good news. I'll probably just pick what looks interesting and lower the difficulty my first time through just to learn the game.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

quote:

"Having two identical animal companions in the party could break one of them. Resolution: fixed; from now on, the confused beast hears a soothing voice saying "Don't freak out, dude, he looks nothing like you!"."

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

"New: mercs (custom characters) can now be assigned advisor roles."

Oh thank God.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

xanthan posted:

Oh thank God.

This is huge.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

xanthan posted:

Oh thank God.

Finally no chance of ending up without an Advisor for long game stretches.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Alright, so I'm thinking of going back in. My big question is, do enemies still have wildly overtuned stats even in the Enhanced Edition? Normally I play on "core rules", which seems supposed to be the "Challenging" difficulty but if they still have something dumb like 90 Strength and whatnot I'd just start on Normal or lower.

e: Also is Sneak Attack still hilariously broken

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 7, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm also going back in with the EE. Only had about 35 min in before I gave up last time. I started this time with a fairly boring class/race (Human Crusader) that I thought was safe enough to get a grip with the rules. I'm playing on easy with easy kingdom management and critical hits set to weak instead of none. I'm actually kind of excited this time to get through this now that it's about as feature complete as it's likely to be.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Since mods have been buggered by the release of the EE, can anyone tell me how to edit away the encumbrance limit?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Apparently custom portrait packs have a bug where the game deletes them? I installed a huge portrait pack from the nexus and after loading the game, then going back to the folder, it deleted all but a dozen or so out of 200+. Literally deleted. Their in the recycle been ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
here to lol about bugs again