Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i guess there's a lot of three kingdoms specific stuff but as someone unfamiliar with it, it doesn't seem to be omnipresent otherwise.

i still think fgo waver was a mistake because the intent with adding servants should be ways to make them interesting and not "let's just use these guys as an excuse to insert our original character into the game." maybe the rins break this too but i haven't played fsn so they just come off as their respective goddesses filtered through a bit of teen girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the rins definitely feel like their own characters that have some rin mixed in

taiga is very taiga since she's not like, a defined deity

they managed to avoid just having sima yi reines be only reines so that was cool

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Aurora posted:

drat, guess the three kingdoms is trash and overplayed since it's one of the most famous pieces of chinese literature

Yes but unironically. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unlike arthurian myth, which

uh

hrm.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm gonna say I think Arthurian mythology is also pretty played out by this point in Fate and in general. Tbf though I'm also influenced by some annoying rear end in a top hat in an fgo discord I go to who refuses to shut up about how he thinks Morgan should be one of the most powerful characters in the game so some level of spite drives that feeling.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Morgan should be in the gacha

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Endorph posted:

unlike arthurian myth, which

uh

hrm.

To be honest they've done a pretty good job remixing it, although if it were introduced now I'd probably also be like :nallears:.

But also people just want their pet 3K favorites as-is and, like, that's not what Fate as a series has ever been dude shut the gently caress up.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

I'm gonna say I think Arthurian mythology is also pretty played out by this point in Fate and in general. Tbf though I'm also influenced by some annoying rear end in a top hat in an fgo discord I go to who refuses to shut up about how he thinks Morgan should be one of the most powerful characters in the game so some level of spite drives that feeling.

Morgan should be the most powerful 1 star caster in the game.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 7, 2019

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Captain Baal posted:

Well, she was said to rival Merlin in terms of strength (at least in the original myth, not sure how she stands in Type-Moon lore, especially with the whole Grand Servants stuff). I could easily see her being a strong support Caster (maybe focusing on all 3 card types + crits to contrast the other support Casters we have?), or failing that, being a strong DPS Caster. So I can kinda see where he's coming from, but if he refuses to shut up about it or even just brings it up out of nowhere, then yeah, gently caress that guy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

Morgan should be in the gacha

She will be on LB6 in 2022

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh I absolutely agree she'd definitely be pretty strong, as I said the only thing that empowers my resistance towards the character is that person. It is absolutely petty, but gently caress 'em.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

The Zhuge thing is unfortunate yes

I stand by what I say, he's his own Servant and popular to boot and I think it's at least safe to say that the past few years has been a ton of Sherlock poo poo more than Three Kingdoms

Compendium fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 8, 2019

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kyte posted:

But also people just want their pet 3K favorites as-is and, like, that's not what Fate as a series has ever been dude shut the gently caress up.

It's less that and more that for a good few years FGO's main Chinese history rep was an incoherent berserker, genderswap with early Part 1 writing, and british nerd with a Zhuge Liang nametag.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly it's mostly that they've basically retold the entire Arthur story Nasu-style and, personally, i'd rather they went for other interesting mythologies

3K has the advantage of having a bajillion characters who all did at least something badass at some point that can be exaggerated Nasu-style

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly it's mostly that they've basically retold the entire Arthur story Nasu-style and, personally, i'd rather they went for other interesting mythologies

3K has the advantage of having a bajillion characters who all did at least something badass at some point that can be exaggerated Nasu-style

I wanna see what kinda bonuses Liu Bei's baby-tossing skill confers.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Motto posted:

It's less that and more that for a good few years FGO's main Chinese history rep was an incoherent berserker, genderswap with early Part 1 writing, and british nerd with a Zhuge Liang nametag.

What about Lancer Shuwen? He was introduced in America.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's cool that they're going hard Vedic for the next stuff.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

I wanna see what kinda bonuses Liu Bei's baby-tossing skill confers.

I like the idea of Cao Cao being summoned and seeing how he would react to the three kingdoms tv show.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
caocaolaughing.gif

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The difference between Arthurian mythology and Three Kingdoms is that there are really only two versions of 3K people give a poo poo about, Original Recipe canon and Dynasty Warriors horseshit, whereas the Arthurian cycle is a millenia-running clusterfuck of different religions, cultures, and social trends actively loving with each other trying to claim they're the Final Definitive Version of a story that was basically created out of whole cloth from a footnote 1500 years ago, with no real canon, that any author can use as a springboard for whatever the gently caress kind of story they want to tell.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Kyte posted:

To be honest they've done a pretty good job remixing it, although if it were introduced now I'd probably also be like :nallears:.

Yes fates has never been about "what if ____ was a servant". Never

Also rotk loving rules and the asian side of the playerbase has been wanting a proper representation for years

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
no have another saber face

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean of we're going to talk about representation even the "representation" of cultures that HAVE appeared often leaves much to be desired

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rody One Half posted:

Do fuckin Hong Xiuquan

:yeshaha:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only character I have a real desire to see put into the game is Dante Alighieri

Actually, I lied I like Hades, Indrajit, and Susanoo too but those three are loving gods and will need to be screwed with in some way to be added

Hmmm... put in Kintar- gently caress.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, but what about Ghost Rider

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If I had to choose one, just one, to be added, it would Odysseus. He's always been my favourite Greek Hero.

Also Ulysse 31 owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQD3GAD0NIw

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Captain Baal posted:

Okay, but what about Ghost Rider

We do need more skull people

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Rody One Half posted:

I mean of we're going to talk about representation even the "representation" of cultures that HAVE appeared often leaves much to be desired

luckily they have riyo on board to hit homers like paul bunyan

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Homer's not in the game

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

meihousou not being a melies reveal event was a crime

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Wait is loving George Melies in fgo now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kyte posted:

I... don't? Arthurian myth in Fate is cool because they actually remix and riff on its themes and ideas. I want them to do that with the Three Kingdoms. Putting literally just some dude they've already made in the game and saying 'Zhuge Liang' is not an interesting remix or riff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rody One Half posted:

Wait is loving George Melies in fgo now
In the Riyo comics, yeah. Since Bunyan got in people want the other two Riyo servants (Melies, J. Edgar Hoover) but so far there's been no sign of them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The "waaaa, representation" crap in regards to RotK characters, or China in particular, gets incredibly old and tiresome. In point of fact, if it's not Japanese or European there's generally very little representation. China actually DOES have the most representation in the game after those blocks, so spare me the whining.

Hell, we've had a loving chapter set in America, and there were actually even more non-American characters that were relevant there than there were American - hell, 2/3 of the goddamn advertised 5*s were European. And since then, the only added Western Hemisphere characters have been a joke character, one character who doesn't have the slightest shred of similarity to anything to do with ANY story/legend about them no matter how fun they are, and a final one who FGO takes in a completely insane direction that, again, has absolutely nothing to do with them.

Remind me about how the China chapter went, in terms of added and important characters?

This:

boredsatellite posted:

Yes fates has never been about "what if ____ was a servant". Never

Also rotk loving rules and the asian side of the playerbase has been wanting a proper representation for years

is such laughable poo poo, because - intentional or not - it's directly equating "the Asian side of the playerbase" with "wants more RotK for representation." No, I highly doubt Vietnam, Korea, or any of Asia other than China has some desperate desire to see more RotK characters for "representation." They MIGHT want more RotK characters because they think they're cool and they've read it or whatever, but it's certainly not because of loving representation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Endorph posted:

I... don't? Arthurian myth in Fate is cool because they actually remix and riff on its themes and ideas. I want them to do that with the Three Kingdoms. Putting literally just some dude they've already made in the game and saying 'Zhuge Liang' is not an interesting remix or riff.
That comment wasn't pointed at you, fyi.

It's not really pointed at anyone in particular, because I've lost track of how many people have said it. Thing is people basically want either original untainted flavor or dynasty warriors redux and both are boring.

And really it's just how pervasive it is, it's not enough that they have a bunch of videogames and poo poo no if there's some property where historical characters involved the voices claiming for lu bu or cao cao or whatever the gently caress immediately start popping up and it's so. loving. exhausting.
at least pick some other time period. I respect LB3 for looking at china and telling the 3kers "haha gently caress you".

(and because I am in fact very petty I also want to remind that there's not at single character from south america. Not even after fate/requiem)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 8, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

The "waaaa, representation" crap in regards to RotK characters, or China in particular, gets incredibly old and tiresome. In point of fact, if it's not Japanese or European there's generally very little representation. China actually DOES have the most representation in the game after those blocks, so spare me the whining.

Hell, we've had a loving chapter set in America, and there were actually even more non-American characters that were relevant there than there were American - hell, 2/3 of the goddamn advertised 5*s were European. And since then, the only added Western Hemisphere characters have been a joke character, one character who doesn't have the slightest shred of similarity to anything to do with ANY story/legend about them no matter how fun they are, and a final one who FGO takes in a completely insane direction that, again, has absolutely nothing to do with them.

Remind me about how the China chapter went, in terms of added and important characters?

This:

is such laughable poo poo, because - intentional or not - it's directly equating "the Asian side of the playerbase" with "wants more RotK for representation." No, I highly doubt Vietnam, Korea, or any of Asia other than China has some desperate desire to see more RotK characters for "representation." They MIGHT want more RotK characters because they think they're cool and they've read it or whatever, but it's certainly not because of loving representation.
I like that you saw the word 'representation' and immediately lost your poo poo even though that wasn't even how the word was being used. Bored said 'a proper representation of romance of the three kingdoms' not 'they want ROT3K for representation.'

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Seeing vietnamese or korean heroes would be cool tho.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Lord Koth posted:

boy you sure made some potentially embarrassing assumptions there. it would really turn out poorly if it turned out you were trying to 'explain' (out of your rear end) the Asian side of the playerbase to someone in the Asian side of the playerbase. but what are the chances of that? haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean its not that they MUST be there, its that they've now put in no less than four Romance servants who are all either 'actually just a type moon character with no relation to the historical figure,' 'a pre-FGO berserker,' or 'meme horse man who the game never even bothers clarifying if he's actually Lu Bu's personality or not and also he's impossible to roll because he's a story-locked 3*.'

If no Romance characters were in the game, people'd want them but it wouldn't come up that much, like you see with Admiral Yi or a lot of periods of Japanese history, or American Independence figures, or whatever. If it was just one actual Romance character, I doubt anyone would care. Nobody cares that Nobunaga's the only Sengoku character in the game, because even if she's a joke character she's at least just Nobunaga. Heck, the most requested Sengoku character is some dude who's completely irrelevant historically but people just want him because they executed on his story decently and because of his relation to Nobunaga.

The issue is entirely that they keep dancing around it in weird ways. I don't care what direction they go with it, I don't care how important that character is, I just want a Romance figure who's literally just, a figure from the Romance. And I don't mean 'played completely straight,' because, again, look at Nobunaga, I just want something that actually plays with the ideas and history of the period. Even a jokey way would be fine, I'd be cool with Riyo Cao Cao or whatever, even. I don't think that's an unreasonable want, considering they keep bringing the period up of their own volition and then not executing on literally anything whatsoever.

I'd have even been fine with Red Hare if they'd just outright said he's Lu Bu. Heck, I'd be satisfied if they make Chen Gong playable.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 8, 2019