Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Kloe's Moon Door was really bad but that's mostly because I'm super burned out on anime adventure high school. At least Persona is set in modern Japan. I can't figure out why the Liberl and Erebonian academies are so tropey; it's because the writers are lazy.

Schera's was pretty good but mostly unnecessary. I don't really care how she and Aina became friends and we already covered her background in previous games.

I've had a texture problem once right after Kloe's door. The game basically fell apart but was fine after a restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
I think I'm over halfway tokyo xanadu ex (just beat the first grim greed) but starting to feel a little burned out. turns out having new places to explore like in cold steel really helps with the "talk to everyone after every story beat" grind - especially when the NPCs are usually more interesting... maybe i'm just looking back at CS with rose-colored glasses though. do things pick up in any significant way?

edit: kind of a similar question but do any of the main characters get any more interesting? seems like a persona 5 problem where as soon you finish their eclipse they're just another voice agreeing with everything kou says.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I heard Exist Archive is a carbon copy of the valkyrie profile battle system, triAce game then? Is it any good?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No it's incredibly bad and completely misses what made Valkyrie Profile combat fun.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Unlocked Agate and just skipped all the text in the second Moon door. I feel like I made the right choice.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Skipping text in a Trails game is a heresy punishable by salt bolt.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

No gently caress most of the moon doors.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

if you're not here for the story then why are you playing trails lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
After the first trails I was here for jazzy battle music

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I like the non jazzy battle themes in Zero and Cold Steel. :colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's time to duel, you goon!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Maybe don't play as Hugo.

oh no blond sasuke

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hugo can be fun as a change of pace and to see how much ranged attacks break Ys encounter design (a lot).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

U-DO Burger posted:

if you're not here for the story then why are you playing trails lol

Different parts of the story are more bearable than others.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

most of the moon doors are just verbose for the sake of it and are boring as sin. Or boring and creepy like Tita's.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
lechter broke me. between him and ouroboros, knowing that every insufferable smirking shithead with a character portrait in this series was going to hang around it forever was enough for me to back out for good

on the other hand i just finished the third route of ys origins and it was delightful, might bop around that series for a bit instead

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Lechter is cuter than Olivier.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if anyone says they beat Ys I on nightmare mode, they are wrong. that last boss was asinine

i glanced over the general history of the series and Adol Christin is kind of a hilarious character in his way. starts off the series by YOLO'ing into an impassable storm barrier and lives and then just gets up and starts an adventuring career that's basically what you'd get if you mashed every generation of Link from Legend of Zelda into a single person

just a plucky mute lad with an insatiable death wish

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Oxxidation posted:

if anyone says they beat Ys I on nightmare mode, they are wrong. that last boss was asinine

i glanced over the general history of the series and Adol Christin is kind of a hilarious character in his way. starts off the series by YOLO'ing into an impassable storm barrier and lives and then just gets up and starts an adventuring career that's basically what you'd get if you mashed every generation of Link from Legend of Zelda into a single person

just a plucky mute lad with an insatiable death wish

I've always described Adol as the guy who takes a dump on prophecy and just fixes everything himself. No need for chosen ones, Adol will take of business on his own.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Oxxidation posted:

For me it was the horrible bat. "Oh hey, I'm just gonna go invincible for 5 minutes out of this 7 minute fight hurr." The last boss being a funhouse mirror of Breakout was ... okay. It's seriously cool how well the core game play from 1987 holds up, though. It's jank, but the soundtrack rocks. Ys is great and everyone should play it. Just, maybe not the first one.

And yeah Adol's probably the least lucky person in the universe, so it's good that he's a tiny red-headed badass.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I've always described Adol as the guy who takes a dump on prophecy and just fixes everything himself. No need for chosen ones, Adol will take of business on his own.

the ineffable powers that be were poring over their list of innocuous farm boys for prophesied-hero candidates and then glimpsed this redheaded lunatic sailing into a murdercane just because it was there

gently caress yes, they thought, we want this guy in our corner

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
After a long break I am finally getting to the end of ToCS, I just fought C in the mine. That was a real bullshit fight. I wiped twice because the robots stun locked all my guys and I didn't want to reload and change up my gear and have to redo the first fight again. If I hadn't used an adamantine steak at the exact right moment I would have wiped a third time and been the closest to throwing a controller I've been in a long time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Oxxidation posted:

the ineffable powers that be were poring over their list of innocuous farm boys for prophesied-hero candidates and then glimpsed this redheaded lunatic sailing into a murdercane just because it was there

gently caress yes, they thought, we want this guy in our corner

Yeah if anything he makes their jobs a lot easier for em

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

oh what the hell, I just found out about the black records NG+ quest in CSII, and the bonus scene that accompanies it

that's kind of a massive lore gap for the people who never bothered with NG+ :psyduck:

Spuzzz posted:

After a long break I am finally getting to the end of ToCS, I just fought C in the mine. That was a real bullshit fight. I wiped twice because the robots stun locked all my guys and I didn't want to reload and change up my gear and have to redo the first fight again. If I hadn't used an adamantine steak at the exact right moment I would have wiped a third time and been the closest to throwing a controller I've been in a long time.

lol yeah that fight got me good too. It took me completely by surprise because I wasn't expecting a back-to-back fight and I blew all my CP in the preceding battle. So I died a couple times before I managed to not get stunlocked and finish the fight. Annoying as that fight was though, I appreciate that the boss fight with C was just as dangerous as it should have been.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

U-DO Burger posted:

oh what the hell, I just found out about the black records NG+ quest in CSII, and the bonus scene that accompanies it

that's kind of a massive lore gap for the people who never bothered with NG+ :psyduck:

And because Falcom are spiteful assholes, I believe CSIII assumes you've seen that scene.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Erpy posted:

And because Falcom are spiteful assholes, I believe CSIII assumes you've seen that scene.

lol thank god for youtube

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Spuzzz posted:

C is vunerable to Faint, so a good strategy is to use Zero Impact to Faint him and then unload a bunch of S-Crafts.

Alternately, you have access to Chrono Burst and Machias' Burst Drive, which give you infinite turns.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I don't think responding to someone saying a fight was too hard with "well you could've just used this exact broken setup for it" is very helpful

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
One strategy for the fight with C in Chapter 6 that doesn't rely on broken mechanics is simply spreading out your characters correctly. C's S-craft is a line-attack (a very very wide one), so as long as some of your characters are behind him they won't get hit and can revive the characters that did get one-shotted.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Erpy posted:

One strategy for the fight with C in Chapter 6 that doesn't rely on broken mechanics is simply spreading out your characters correctly. C's S-craft is a line-attack (a very very wide one), so as long as some of your characters are behind him they won't get hit and can revive the characters that did get one-shotted.

I still think one shot attacks from boss like that or in Tales games are kind of lame.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you set all your quartzes up for max offense then Cold Steel kind of turns into rocket tag.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
ToCS2 PS4 is here, but save transfer? From ToCS1 PS4 that I have right here? Just made a new save and uploaded it? Same region, both digital? There is no PS4 1 to PS4 2 transfer?

e: my dumb rear end went looking for the transfer function, oh durr :haw: just begin the new game and it'll ask if you want to load the original data
All sepith x500, attack 1, soul blur, saintly force, zeram powder x2, golden emblem, let's kick rear end!

Also I recommend not watching the attract mode thing if you're a first time player of the sequel.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 7, 2019

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Spuzzz posted:

I still think one shot attacks from boss like that or in Tales games are kind of lame.

Then equip hp and defense quartz

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Erpy posted:

U-DO Burger posted:

lol thank god for youtube

What scene is this?

Black records what?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

In CS2 NG+ you can find five Black Records at various points in the game. If you get all five before you retake Trista, Instructor Thomas will start translating them. In the Epilogue, he’ll give you the translation, which sheds some light on the War of the Lions.

After you read them, you can chat with Thomas and there’s a scene that is highly important.

All of this is crucial for the overarching story and the whole thing is missable.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

tithin posted:

What scene is this?

Black records what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3-ihUnurf8&list=PLd25ItRMSU7t0dFZAjvZo2GSFG09tkmCI&index=2&t=0s

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I really don't like this 'you need to take the boss to 30% hp before x turns' gimmick they're making me do if I want max AP in CSII. It'd help if the fight didn't feel so stupid and random.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I have long since learned that trying to 100% trails games is the path to madness. It's not a fun experience in any conceivable way. That's just a new and interesting way to make it even less fun.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oof

https://twitter.com/nitomatta/status/1137135398793109504?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

who are the obligatory Siblings Who Want to gently caress in ao/zero

One of the reasons Zero/Ao are the best is that Lloyd has an older step-sister who was married to his dead brother and - notably - does not want to gently caress him. They even had the whole "not blood related" angle to use an excuse, and they still restrained themselves.

The other reasons are that 1. Zero/Ao have by far the best team dynamic and 2. the Crossbell setting is unique and interesting. The characters aren't necessarily better than the ones in Sky (though I like them a bit more overall), but they work much better as a group (and a zillion times better than the abomination that is the group dynamic of Class 7 in the CS series). The biggest thing that stands out, that you can't really say about Class 7 (or even the Sky cast, really) is that all 4 of the main cast have some sort of dynamic with one another, rather than everyone just revolving around the protagonist as a nexus. And I've mentioned before why Lloyd manages to work in a way Rean doesn't, despite technically having some of the same characteristics (as a male protagonist with a harem of sorts).