Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Wasabi the J posted:

Probably one of those things that if you gently caress with anything it could go out.

Best not tempt fate.

Magic/More magic switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

I read it's $700, though. Not sure if that's legit.

Edit: looks like $799 bare tool, $999 kit. Ouch.

Available November.

Rye Bread fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 6, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm a bit of a Milwaukee fan, but no thanks.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

If you've ever had to torque 20+ bolt flanges, in 20%torque increments for gasket relaxation, that thing would be a loving godsend, or for something like multi-jackbolt tensioners.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Is it designed to be on an aircraft carrier?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Is it designed to be on an aircraft carrier?

I was going to say, $800 bare tool price it should just tighten the bolt itself, but I guess a Snap on digital wrench is $600-ish.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Does it not also tighten the bolt for you? Why is it so big then?

And yeah, I was talking about industrial applications.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Elviscat posted:

If you've ever had to torque 20+ bolt flanges, in 20%torque increments for gasket relaxation, that thing would be a loving godsend, or for something like multi-jackbolt tensioners.

Yeah I think that's the real market for something like this--pros who want to shave 5-10 mins off a job wherever possible. Time is money and $800 could be paid off with just a few weeks of time savings.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Elviscat posted:

I guess it might; the head looks vaguely similar to the M12 ratchets I've seen. That'd make it quite a bit cooler, but I think the advantage would be that you can give it to some random rear end in a top hat and send him off to tighten bolts, without telling them how to use a torque wrench, just tell them to hold onto it and take it off the bolt when the thing goes beep.

I wonder if you could also program in a routine? IE, you're doing something like head bolts, so you say you want to do a dozen bolts at 80 ft-lbs or whatever, and then again to 120, you could program it for a sequence of 12 bolts at each torque rating, in theory making sure you hit everything properly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

boxen posted:

I wonder if you could also program in a routine? IE, you're doing something like head bolts, so you say you want to do a dozen bolts at 80 ft-lbs or whatever, and then again to 120, you could program it for a sequence of 12 bolts at each torque rating, in theory making sure you hit everything properly.

In my industry experience this is a bad idea, because if you can't reset the routine when you gently caress up and have to restart, you're in the wrong part of the sequence. And if you can rest the routine some dipshit will do it at the absolute worst time. If you need to do another torque you have either a different guy do it or you swap to a different tool. Ideally with a different socket, but obviously not in the case you mentioned.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Also, it doesn't help doing things in the right pattern, ie criss-cross or whatever. Not saying it's a good idea, just trying to come up with a use case. Someone had one, else they wouldn't build it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Elviscat posted:

just get some torque sticks and brap-ap-ap-ap-ap

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah there's no way that thing is not a power driver, why use a M12 battery otherwise?

Given the beefiness of the head, and how long the gearbox goes, I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps this sacrifices speed for more torque.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Elviscat posted:

And yeah, I was talking about industrial applications.

The instagram post has a couple videos of it working. Looks neat!

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByX5AZ9A3hr/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Oh wow yeah that is pretty slick, so it tightens to ~80% and then you hand tighten the last bit with a really nice warning for when you're near and at the exact torque.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I need that torque wrench like, yesterday. Too bad it’s coming fall 2019.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHb-Tcvkn7M

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not unsurprisingly the drywall screw with get largest surface area relative to shear did the best. In the end its all about distributing pressure into the wall. But oh god I would never consider hanging anywhere near this much weight on drywall alone.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah but it's good for when you got that weird mount or bracket you can't get into a stud.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Depending on what I'm hanging, like if it's a TV or a large frame, I'll screw in a 1x6 across however many studs are needed so the heavy object has solid wood to mount into.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

um excuse me posted:

Not unsurprisingly the drywall screw with get largest surface area relative to shear did the best. In the end its all about distributing pressure into the wall. But oh god I would never consider hanging anywhere near this much weight on drywall alone.

Load bearing drywall joke inserted here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just bought a Ryobi one+ starter set.

This is how a gateway drug works isnt it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Rhyno posted:

I just bought a Ryobi one+ starter set.

This is how a gateway drug works isnt it?

Yeah. But it is a fine line. Tools usually pay for themselves many times over. Unless you buy ones that you will never use. But we usually hand-wave that scenario "as better to have it and not need it compared to really needing it and not have it."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah. But it is a fine line. Tools usually pay for themselves many times over. Unless you buy ones that you will never use. But we usually hand-wave that scenario "as better to have it and not need it compared to really needing it and not have it."

I did look over the full catalog and I bookmarked about 9 items total that I'd like to get eventually and 5 "would be nice" ones as well. I kind of wish we hadn't bought a lawnmower because the ONE+ mower could easily handle my tiny patch of grass.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Rhyno posted:

I did look over the full catalog and I bookmarked about 9 items total that I'd like to get eventually and 5 "would be nice" ones as well. I kind of wish we hadn't bought a lawnmower because the ONE+ mower could easily handle my tiny patch of grass.

So could a herd of goats. What is easier to maintain?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I'm finally upgrading my old cordless Makita tools with some Milwaukee Fuel stuff. Planning on picking up the M12 Fuel 3/8 ratchet, hackzall, stubby impact, and a hammer drill.

Seems like discounts and deals on these are hard to come by. Any good places to check out online or should I just try and find a sale at a brick and mortar store? Over at garage journal most of those guys seem to be catching sales at Home Depot

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Father’s Day sales are imminent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Platystemon posted:

You mean active. Home Depot has a ton of specials for FD.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Are home Depot sales even worth it? Ive bought plenty of stuff from them in a pinch and it's always 10-20% more than online.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They had a buy a battery get the tool for free deal if I remember correctly.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

um excuse me posted:

Are home Depot sales even worth it? Ive bought plenty of stuff from them in a pinch and it's always 10-20% more than online.

if you want deals on this stuff you gotta follow the prices on what you specifically want

yes, home depot sales can be good. if you can catch a clearance item then you can possibly make some money back selling off the batteries or the tool, again, depending on what you want to keep.

sometimes you find sales on acme or ebay that are a fixed percentage off 100/200/300 bucks, sometimes its certain kits that are on sale.

one thing that is complicating sales lately is the increased tariffs--whatever prices you might remember from 6mo or a year ago might never be seen again.

also, online prices need to account for the fact that buying from unauthorized resellers (amazon) you wont have a full warranty that you otherwise would have.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

For those in the DeWalt ecosystem, Amazon has their portable LED bare tool for $39, which is damned good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...DKIKX0DER&psc=1

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Somebody point me to the bag o' 5.0 Ah LXT batteries sale please.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

One Day Fish Sale posted:

Somebody point me to the bag o' 5.0 Ah LXT batteries sale please.

Second

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I've seen a lot of tools with "SPECIAL VALUE!" Printed on the side for FD, specifically Dewalt's big miter saw, I'd bet a silver nickel a lot of these sales have tools built down to a lower price point.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The big Ryobi batteries are on sale

99 bucks for two 6ahs https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-6-0-Ah-LITHIUM-HP-High-Capacity-Battery-2-Pack-P164/305571990

139 for two 9ahs https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-LITHIUM-HP-9-0-Ah-High-Capacity-Battery-2-Pack-P168/304740785

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-1850/305907274

1/2 Milwaukee impact with battery for $250

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

revmoo posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-1850/305907274

1/2 Milwaukee impact with battery for $250

Killer deal. That may make me jump.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Do it, that thing is a beast. When someone in the shop has an axle nut or whatever that won’t come off, this thing will do it. Outperforms any impact I’ve seen, short of the new 1” drive bridge builder impact Milwaukee has been showing off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Fuel grinder plus 5ah battery at $180 is a damned good deal, too. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-1850/305907383

:ohdear: