Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
On the lowbrow end, looks like all the Marvel movies are getting physical 4K releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

It would've been pretty weird(and I guess a very bad sign for the format) if they hadn't, considering they just went back and did Incredible Hulk, Avengers 1 & 2, and all three Captain America movies. At this point there's not a whole lot missing, just the Iron Man trilogy and the first two Thor movies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, I was just thinking if Thor comes to UHD, I'll buy it, so whelp there I go

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Spacebump posted:

Lol wasn’t half the advantage of buying movies on iTunes supposed to be free 4K upgrades as they are available?

Edit: might want to recheck that. I just checked and Batman + Batman Returns were upgraded on my account.

I got home from work, now Batman 89 isn't showing up in 4k but Returns, Forever, & Robin are. Weird.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is that reason enough to believe Disney will release a UHD of rogue one?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Is that reason enough to believe Disney will release a UHD of rogue one?

At some point, how could they not take the chance to resell a Star Wars movie?

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 7, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m assuming there will be a new wave of box sets after IX comes out on blu next year

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I was wondering why my Severin order hadn't shipped, and then I remembered that it doesn't ship until everything is ready. And Viy won't be ready until the end of the month :doh:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Eh, my Severin package hasn't shipped either and it's just Santa Sangre.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Severin takes a long time to ship, but I'm pretty sure it's just one dude fulfilling the orders, and they get pummeled with orders during sales, so I'm usually willing to wait. They're much better than Scream Factory. I ordered Night of the Creeps in February, it's now almost a month late from its original release date. And I know that, like nearly every Scream Factory title, there will be something hosed up with the disc (bad audio, wrong aspect ratio for the first part of the movie, like Carpenter's Village of the Damned), or the Tom Atkins figure (main reason I bought it, the old disc was fine) will come broken. Sorry to rant, I know this is an Arby's drive-thru, I'm just tired of waiting for Scream Factory to get their poo poo together.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
poo poo, yeah, I didn't consider that they sold out of Viy so not only do I have to wait until it's pressed, I have to wait until all 500 or so orders are boxed up and shipped out in the order they were received.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ultraviolence123 posted:

Severin takes a long time to ship, but I'm pretty sure it's just one dude fulfilling the orders, and they get pummeled with orders during sales, so I'm usually willing to wait. They're much better than Scream Factory. I ordered Night of the Creeps in February, it's now almost a month late from its original release date. And I know that, like nearly every Scream Factory title, there will be something hosed up with the disc (bad audio, wrong aspect ratio for the first part of the movie, like Carpenter's Village of the Damned), or the Tom Atkins figure (main reason I bought it, the old disc was fine) will come broken. Sorry to rant, I know this is an Arby's drive-thru, I'm just tired of waiting for Scream Factory to get their poo poo together.

drat, that poo poo sounds super hosed up and coupled with the lovely business practices I heard they pull, it kinda makes me not want to buy anything from Scream/Shout ever again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just got my tracking number from Severin this morning, which would have been nearly 11 or 12 at night depending on which time zone they're in.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, the UHD for Into the Spider-Verse is only $14.99 on Amazon right now.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, the UHD for Into the Spider-Verse is only $14.99 on Amazon right now.

Looks like a Dads & Grads sale. Best Buy has a lot of Blus for $10 and UHD for $15 this weekend.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Get Out: ATM76HLLHE96

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Get Out: ATM76HLLHE96

Grabbed this, thank you.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Alfred Hitchcock’s estate leaked on Facebook that Universal is releasing a new Hitchcock set this Fall.

No details, but it would be awesome if they did at least some in 4K. Rear Window, The Trouble with Harry, Vertigo, and The Birds were all 4K masters (and Warner’s North by Northwest too).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Alfred Hitchcock’s estate leaked on Facebook that Universal is releasing a new Hitchcock set this Fall.

No details, but it would be awesome if they did at least some in 4K. Rear Window, The Trouble with Harry, Vertigo, and The Birds were all 4K masters (and Warner’s North by Northwest too).
I just bought the Masterpiece Collection a couple months ago, and it wasn't on sale:suicide:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

I just bought the Masterpiece Collection a couple months ago, and it wasn't on sale:suicide:

I have that set too, and I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm not expecting this new set to be 4k(although that would tempt me to double dip) so really I think you'll just be looking at some new packaging and maybe some extras. You're not gonna beat the transfers of most of the films in there, especially Vertigo and The Trouble With Harry.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I really just need to get a copy of North By Northwest and shove it in my cheap UK collection. That's my only gripe with that set.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I have that set too, and I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm not expecting this new set to be 4k(although that would tempt me to double dip) so really I think you'll just be looking at some new packaging and maybe some extras. You're not gonna beat the transfers of most of the films in there, especially Vertigo and The Trouble With Harry.
Yeah it's great set. I don't think it'll be improved on tremendously. It's more that I feel a little burned by the knee jerk "I want thing and I want it now!"

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

wa27 posted:

I really just need to get a copy of North By Northwest and shove it in my cheap UK collection. That's my only gripe with that set.

Yeah I did that. I got the UK set and ordered North by northwest.

There's still some films I haven't watched in the set. I should get back to that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got my UK Blade Runner UHD set today. Really gorgeous packaging - discs are in a digipak inside a matte thick slipcase. Sort of like 2001's UHD except it has a matte finish. Thick perfect bound booklet with production art and photos. Even the BBFC stickers peel off. Weird thing is that the UHD and Blu-rays for the Final Cut are UK branded, while the supplements and other cuts seem to be from an Italian set (with multi-lingual text on the discs). This was apparently an exclusive in the UK, so perhaps that was the only way to get the discs.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Got my UK Blade Runner UHD set today. Really gorgeous packaging - discs are in a digipak inside a matte thick slipcase. Sort of like 2001's UHD except it has a matte finish. Thick perfect bound booklet with production art and photos. Even the BBFC stickers peel off. Weird thing is that the UHD and Blu-rays for the Final Cut are UK branded, while the supplements and other cuts seem to be from an Italian set (with multi-lingual text on the discs). This was apparently an exclusive in the UK, so perhaps that was the only way to get the discs.

Mind linking which one you ordered? There is so many different blade runner releases.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Mind linking which one you ordered? There is so many different blade runner releases.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142533939803

$60 shipped is a bit more than I really wanted to pay, but the US UHD (which omits the four cuts and puts the supplements on DVDs) is $24 and used copies of the 3 or 5 disc complete sets are anywhere from $30 to $100, so it's not bad.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
You sure you didn't get ebay bootleg scammed?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It says it has UltraViolet codes with it, so that would be a factor pointing towards legit I'd think?

e: Unless they don't work, of course!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

You sure you didn't get ebay bootleg scammed?

If it's a bootleg, it's the best bootleg I've seen. This was sealed, had all the stickers and placard, and even the download code. Even went through all the discs and they're all perfect.

Disc 1A (UHD):
Final Cut (HEVC, HDR10, Dolby Atmos)
Intro by Ridley Scott
Three commentaries (DD 2.0)
Final Cut trailer (4K)

BD-66

Disc 1B (Blu-ray):
Final Cut (VC-1, Dolby TrueHD 5.1, DD 5.1)
Intro by Ridley Scott
Three commentaries (DD 2.0)

(Same as disc 1 in 2007 and 2012 sets, BD-25)

Disc 2:
Original theatrical, international, and director's cut versions (DD 5.1 and 2.0 surround, VC-1)
Intros by Ridley Scott for each cut

(Identical to disc two in 2007 5-disc set and 2012 3-disc set, BD-25)

Disc 3:
Workprint Cut (with DTS-HD MA 5.1/AVC) plus
Dangerous Days
All supplements (featurettes, deleted/alternate scenes, trailers, etc)
All Our Variant Futures (piece on the different cuts)
Stills Gallery

(Condenses discs 3-5 in 2007 5-disc set from two DVD-9s and one BD-25 to one BD-50. Identical to disc 3 in 2012 3-disc set, versions piece and stills gallery exclusive to this an 2012 3-disc)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Scorpion are re-releasing Terror Train with a new 2k Transfer, new interviews, and all of the previous features from the Shout release.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Flicker Alley's upcoming collection of Charley Bowers films is down to $17US on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RC8ZQLR/

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sony has a poll on what you want to see from them on UHD:
https://secure.sonypictures.com/movies/sweepstakes/ui/sphe/polls/4k/?hs308=4KU003D

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Every movie listed on that page should be Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Ugh. Just noticed that Comedy Central released the first 10 seasons of South Park in 2 mega packs. The price is right, I’m missing enough seasons to save money by doing this, and I would save a ton of space... any reason not to go this route?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Every movie listed on that page should be Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon.

I don't have a UHD player but you bet your rear end I voted for that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Boywhiz88 posted:

Ugh. Just noticed that Comedy Central released the first 10 seasons of South Park in 2 mega packs. The price is right, I’m missing enough seasons to save money by doing this, and I would save a ton of space... any reason not to go this route?

Yes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Heavy Metal's in that list. If there's a true 4k scan of that, I'd love to see it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Teenage Fansub posted:

Heavy Metal's in that list. If there's a true 4k scan of that, I'd love to see it.

I just bought the Blu Ray a year ago too, that is a movie I'd prefer not to double dip on :negative:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It'd be pretty funny if A Passage to India got a UHD release before Lawrence of Arabia. But hey, I certainly wouldn't complain about more 4k David Lean in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Everyone can pack it the gently caress up, we've reached peak Blu-ray on August 27th:

BLUE Special Features:
*2K restoration performed by the BFI
*BLISS (1991, an audio recording of a concert that would become BLUE)
*David Lewis remembers BLUE
*GLITTERBUG (1994, a compilation of Derek Jarman's home movies, scored by Brian Eno)
*HARD TO IMAGINE (John Maybury recalls Jarman's journey towards BLUE)
*James Mackay remembers BLUE
*Simon Fisher Turner remembers BLUE
*Derek Jarman blue plaque unveiling in London