Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

KirbyKhan posted:

I have begun playing Void Bastards

It seems that staplers to the face are ideal for Spooks. I have no idea how many damage upgrades I will need for screws.
Kittybots are invaluable, and yet the game dumps them on you in huge piles. Which is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

blackguy32 posted:

It has started to open up a bit for me. I did Vault 34 and got an actual weapon that isn't garbage against armor so things are progressing a bit better.

Tried to fight the deathclaws at the quarry again. Got my rear end kicked again. What weapons are good against them?

Any heavy weapon with a scope, so you can nail them from far away. Very, very far away.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I got addicted to the race car gun in FO3 due to deathclaws (instant cripple on both legs upon hit), but I think you can still cripple their legs with sustained fire

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stealth-snipe with an AMR is best.

Or, weirdly, a shotgun loaded with sandbags. They're very hard to kill, but you can knock them out no problem then unload on their head with something else.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 4, 2019

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

I have begun playing Void Bastards

It seems that staplers to the face are ideal for Spooks. I have no idea how many damage upgrades I will need for screws.

Spiker/rad spiker for spooks, you can then see where they're going to pop up before they do.

Screws are best grabbed with a rifter and ported to a locked room somewhere. Maybe somewhere dangerous if available.

Also, unstable kitties solve a lot of problems.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something for Observation;

The game will never tell you this ANYWHERE,but you can move vertically and laterally with the D-Pad on a controller.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something for Observation;

The game will never tell you this ANYWHERE,but you can move vertically and laterally with the D-Pad on a controller.

Hah, my friend made Observation and now that I've played it though a couple of times, I'm going out with him later in the week to do a kinda feedback debrief chat. I will mention this to him, cause I didn't know about this either and it would have made some things quite a lot easier...

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I would like tips for The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlMac posted:

Hah, my friend made Observation and now that I've played it though a couple of times, I'm going out with him later in the week to do a kinda feedback debrief chat. I will mention this to him, cause I didn't know about this either and it would have made some things quite a lot easier...

I've got some feedback you can pass on;

The cutscene where the Connection Sphere bounces off the station on the return spacewalk and drifts away is waaay longer than it needs to be. Just lob the thing off faster to get to the point sooner, because there's a stretch where you can't really tell it's moving still and you'll wind up thinking the game's frozen. Especially when the game DOES occasionally freeze when transitioning to cutscenes. Also to just remove the flashy background lights in the glyph sequences. They're painful to look at, especially when you want the player to keep focus on the glyphs to repeat the sequence back, and probably cause epileptic fits.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

I would like tips for The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut.
You can't really go wrong with any class. Protector is boring as gently caress, though.
If the game stops being entertaining, feel free to quit it playing it - it's got a bit of a downward slope and the finale is very much not worth it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Here's a couple of things for Geneforge which doesn't yet have a page:

* Mechanics is a very important skill, not only for lockpicking and handling devices but also for disarming explosives and traps. Some investment (5+) in Leadership also makes things smoother, and a bit of Luck helps too.

* If playing a Shaper, Intelligence is incredibly useful and likely where you'll want to invest the majority (and later all) of your skill points into.

* Having 10 AP or more lets you act twice per turn, making Haste effects are quite valuable.

* Casting a buff spell like Haste multiple times also multiplies its duration, though not its effect.

* While creations can be leveled up, it's often more efficient to just absorb them and make new ones as your Shaping skills improve. Make sure to give all creations at least 2 Intelligence upon their creation.

* Items dropped on the ground or placed in a container will remain there forever, so you can make a stash near the entrance of whichever town you like to use for resting.

* Going into combat mode lets you cover terrain "faster", helpful for example when crossing damage tiles or when dealing with the few locations that have respawning enemies.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kanfy posted:

* While creations can be leveled up, it's often more efficient to just absorb them and make new ones as your Shaping skills improve. Make sure to give all creations at least 2 Intelligence upon their creation.
This is all good advice, but as a long-time player of the series (holy crap Spiderweb Software games are good) I would qualify this with the following caveat: leveled creatures are universally cheaper. Whatever you invest in a creature of equal stats that you have made from scratch will always be more expensive in terms of essence than a creature that you have leveled to this point. If you want a large number of average creatures, starting weak and levelling up after combat is the best way to maintain the maximum that is possible. If you want a small number of elite creatures, if only to minimize turn numbers, then re-creating creatures as your Shaper gains in power is your best bet. Canisters will guarantee that you gain in strength faster than your creatures can level.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Here's a couple of things for Geneforge which doesn't yet have a page:

I created the page, and assumed that these tips were for Geneforge 1.

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
I'm gonna start Uncharted 4 this weekend. This is my first Uncharted game and the only reason I have it is because it came bundled with my PS4. So having not played any of the others do I need to know anything to understand whats happening? I think I can pick up the gameplay ok enough because I just finished The Last of Us and I figure it plays sorta the same. So...advice? Thoughts?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's...a very narrative-driven franchise. So it would probably help to at least somewhat brush up on what happened in the other games. UC4 is very much meant to be the capstone to the adventures and idiocy of Nathan Drake.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

safe harbor posted:

I'm gonna start Uncharted 4 this weekend. This is my first Uncharted game and the only reason I have it is because it came bundled with my PS4. So having not played any of the others do I need to know anything to understand whats happening? I think I can pick up the gameplay ok enough because I just finished The Last of Us and I figure it plays sorta the same. So...advice? Thoughts?
Watch Chip Cheezum's Uncharted LPs. They're good.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's hard to say, because I did play them all in order and I can't quite remember what you learn in each game, but I think you could probably muddle out what's going on if you start with 4. The treasure-hunting adventure itself is fairly self-contained iirc, you won't need the backstory of the other three games to understand the quest you're on. And you'll probably be able to figure out the main gist of drake's relationship with all the characters in the game (one of the big ones, Sam, doesn't appear in the first 3 at all so you're good there), but you are kind of missing out on the build-up of those relationships (especially Elena) if you skip the first three and I do think the ride and ending will be less enjoyable. Uncharted 4 isn't on the level of the last of us, storywise, but it's still strong for a video game and it's worth doing right.

If you aren't in a super huge rush to start playing, watching the LPs might be a good idea (or hell, you can probably pick up the 1-3 collection for ps4 pretty cheap and just play them yourself; 1 is kind of meh but 2 & 3 are still extremely good and fun).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What's the best solo character for Borderlands Pre-Sequel?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Kennel posted:

What's the best solo character for Borderlands Pre-Sequel?

Wilhelm and Jack both work great solo imo.

E: All the pre-sequel PCs are powerful in their own way and capable of soloing. These two just get an easier time imo. Play who you want!

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 5, 2019

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

safe harbor posted:

Definitely brush up on 1-3. I'd suggest watching an LP of 1 and playing 2 and 3 before tackling Thief's End.

As far as gameplay, no, UC is definitely not like TLoU. Breaking stealth in UC means you just go loud to kill everything in sight, whereas breaking stealth in TLoU gets you either killed or drained of resources. Nothing's stopping you from stealthing most fights in UC3 and UC4, but UC1 and UC2 don't really reward stealth as much.

tl;dr: don't sweat getting spotted, always be moving, and at least make a good faith effort to brush up on the first three before starting thief's end, and you'll probably be fine.

Edit: also if you collected the Firefly medallions/other stuff in TLoU and enjoyed it, all the uncharted games have similar collection sidequests, so explore early and often.

Also also Drake's journal pretty much constantly updates throughout the games, providing more backstory and some quality jokes/moments if you're into that.

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 5, 2019

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Centipeed posted:

Anything for Dauntless? There's lots of types of armour and weapons to craft and upgrade, and I'm wondering if any stand out as the best to focus on. Also, any tips on being overpowered in hunts are appreciated.

-Try each weapon but pick one to focus on. This is recommended because the Mastery system unlocks rewards for specialization, such as alternate attacks that can stagger behemoths. If you try to level all weapons equally, you won't progress as quickly and will likely burn out. You can always go back later with your +10 Warpike and tear apart those same behemoths to create some Chain blades.

-Not all weapons are equal. For example, hammers can't cut off tails. So it's good to have an alternate weapon, or a friend with an alternate weapon.

-Guns (Ostian repeaters) are a good back-up weapon, especially for monsters you don't enjoy fighting up close. They still require you to get up close to maximize their damage, but you can keep the pressure up at a medium distance.

-Every day there are ten collectible "Deathmarks" in town that will each give you 5 points towards your Hunt pass (seasonal rewards). Hunts in the early game give you 6 to 12 points, while Deathmarks give you 50 points in less time than it takes to do a single hunt.

-Pay attention to the weekly goals, which give 150 points towards the Hunt pass. They often have weapon specific requirements, so you may want to keep one of each weapon with the Neutral element to account for these.

-Also every day are bonus Patrol rewards, which are shown by a treasure chest icon. Each patrol gives 10 elemental orbs, and the bonus awards an extra 10.

That's about it for general tips. Cross play seems to work pretty well, so there's always someone out there hunting.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anything for Phantasy Star II?

Or Monster Hunter Stories?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Any advice for Pyre?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

The game came with maps of every dungeon pre-mapped for you so 100% do not feel bad for pulling up a map for every dungeon you delve because you will learn why people hate its dungeon layouts really fast.

There is an unmarked and rather obscure quest that nets you the item that lets you save anywhere. You want to do this as soon as you are able to. To do it, level Shir to 10 then walk in and out of Paseo's baggage room until you trigger a scene where she runs off. Return to your home and shell be waiting there and rejoin you with the item.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Gun Jam posted:

Any advice for Pyre?

It's been a while so lemme think...

You're playing fantasy basketball, eliminations are basically useless. So are heavy characters. You can beat the game fairly easily by using fast/light characters, rush/jumping into the pit with them (since enemies can't kill you in the air unless they directly body block you).

Your "ending" is going to be partially determined by how well you play, with the best ending achievable only if you come in first place at the end of every cycle (meaning you can drop a couple of games, but that's about it).

There's a point in time where you get to name a character if you choose anything but "Bae" you're wrong.

It's honestly not a very difficult game without a whole lot of gatchas. It's probably the least mechanically intensive games out of anything Super Giant has made, so just sit down and enjoy the ride.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've heard it recommended that it's best to just enjoy the game without getting invested in any single character too much, because you're going to lose 'em no matter what you do, so that advice about just chilling and going along with the ride is probably a good idea.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, in Pyre there are less tournaments than youll have characters so the game is weighing who you want to let ascend and who you make stay behind.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Gun Jam posted:

Any advice for Pyre?

Early on, the game will tell you that you can lose matches, and still proceed the story and get an ending. This is 100% true. You can redo matches if you want, of course. It's up to you.

Be prepared to read a lot. Like, a TON.

Also, the characters get unique items, and if you upgrade them enough some of them are incredibly broken. I think one character gets an infinite sprint.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Anything for Crea?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

MockingQuantum posted:

Barudak posted:

The game came with maps of every dungeon pre-mapped for you so 100% do not feel bad for pulling up a map for every dungeon you delve because you will learn why people hate its dungeon layouts really fast.

There is an unmarked and rather obscure quest that nets you the item that lets you save anywhere. You want to do this as soon as you are able to. To do it, level Shir to 10 then walk in and out of Paseo's baggage room until you trigger a scene where she runs off. Return to your home and shell be waiting there and rejoin you with the item.

e: Just be careful where you take her after that.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Anything for Gears of War 4?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sup with the wiki?

"There seems to be a problem with your login session; this action has been canceled as a precaution against session hijacking. Go back to the previous page, reload that page and then try again."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Session cookie issue on your side, maybe? Clear beforeiplay.com cookies and clear your cache. I have no issues accessing the site.

[edit] Completely unrelated: does anyone have some good tips for Heat Signature? I already checked the wiki, but I'll take anything else you guys got on top of that.

Also, oh my god this game is so good you guys. I am a loving Space Commando Pirate Person and it is great.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 13, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cardiovorax posted:

[edit] Completely unrelated: does anyone have some good tips for Heat Signature? I already checked the wiki, but I'll take anything else you guys got on top of that.

Item cooldowns continue to run even when they're not on your person, and throwing an item has no cooldown at all. If you sword a person, throw your sword at someone, teleport your sword to yourself, you can throw it again instantly without waiting. You can easily kill 3 people with a single sword (or wrench) this way, and can kill 5 with two swords, all before they can react.

Subverters unlock doors.

You can instakill people unavoidably through all sorts of defenses by dropping a glitch trap that teleports them into space at your feet, and then swap-teleporting your target onto the glitch trap. If you don't have a glitch trap, you can do the same by shooting a bullet at a window and swap-teleporting your target in front of the window before the bullet impacts.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Borderlands 2 or the pre sequel? Should I play one first, or does it matter?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lucas Archer posted:

Borderlands 2, don't bother with pre-sequel because it's pretty crap.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pre-Sequel is fun with friends, but good job finding a group of people who want to play it.

In any case, Pre-Sequel gives you the history of 2's main antagonist and a couple of his buddies, so by playing it first, you'll spoil a big bunch of things from the 2nd game. Whether that's an issue or not is up to you.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Sup with the wiki?

"There seems to be a problem with your login session; this action has been canceled as a precaution against session hijacking. Go back to the previous page, reload that page and then try again."

I've never seen that before, and haven't noticed any issues with the wiki.

Anyone have any tips for Shining Resonance Refrain?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Anything for Elex? Having memories of Risen where bad choices can kinda screw you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lucas Archer posted:

I played the pre-sequel first and I was completely lost. I had no idea that you actually play as the bad guys in that game until about halfway through. I do think Borderlands 2 is slightly better though but Pre-sequel isn't bad.